May 24, noon to May 27th, midnight.

Hey babes! The goal for this weekend's promo is a collective 30 points! As always, a regular length post contributes 1 point and rapid fires are .5. LET'S DO THIS. Supply 3 points for the promo and win 15 if we reach our goal by midnight on Tuesday!

"Santa, That son of a bitch owes me so many titty mags you have no idea." - Virgil Ashcroft

“I don’t want you to be sorry, Luke, I want you to fix it. Repeat after me, Luke. Double Double. Two Cream. Two. Sugars.” - Sawyer Cross

“That douche bag sex toy was going to double as a snack later, now I’m out dinner and a show.” - Fauve Kynan

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Niko, but you're on the highway to hell now - and buddy, mercy is about ten exits in the opposite direction.” - Rhali Freeman

"World War One I was really busy... Ancient Greece was a pretty busy time too, but that is all a little sketchy." - Jaxxon Kennedy

“Oh, I suppose you were expecting Graham. Sorry to disappoint. He's out to lunch right now, taking a little nap back there in the corner of our consciousness, so you get Cain instead.” - Cain Ashton

"What was your plan, charming? Slit my throat and leave me for dead. Or were you going to make it look like a suicide?" - Clarice Van Helsing

“I have this condition, y'know, when I drink too much, I black out and do stupid shit—maybe you've heard of it? It's called getting really freakin' smashed.” - Troy Thomas

"Well maybe I would if you let me have a bit of fun now and again. You know I don't like bad news. I get very....grumpy." - Caius Leventis

Thanks for cody's a wizard and kismet for the sidebar. SubDevo for the Peekaboo Side Tables! Skin by avey of shine, slider tabs by ring wang of codrops.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
NEW POLL

THE THINGS WE LOST {RF}, AARON D:
AARON JOSEPH STARLING
Posted: Aug 6 2014, 01:06 PM

ALLIANCE - PLAYED BY PHYRE
Group Icon

Group: NEPHILIM HUNTER
Member No.: 394

we all run from something
If it weren't for the look on Gabe's face Aaron would an enthused at how he thought his father's wings looked. They were still impressive, he'd never seen a pair of angelic wings up close either way. He'd just been about to take a breath too ask why they were as they were but Gabe beat him to the punch.

Fallen. He didn't even know an archangel could fall, then again there was a lot about angels and demons Aaron still didn't know. He wanted to ask how, but it was clear on Gabe's face it wasn't a subject he liked to talk about. He didn't need to know right then and there the why. He made a little snort and shrug. "Like father like son I guess eh? Up there may not look too kindly, but it doesn't mean we don't stop down there from winnin'." he said nodding up and down. He felt like he really had no place to talk, no foot to stand on when comparing himself to his father but it was something they shared. He gave a little shrug chewing at his lip. "Even when I found out the name for what I am, that God Himself order us dead I still wanted to fight for good. Thought maybe there was." he halted himself, knowing it was stupid, he already knew the answer, he didn't need didn't want to hear it.

His gaze up on the sky flicked down for a moment as Gabe lied to his son. For Aaron's sake, for the sake of his heart, for whatever soul he bared he'd believe his mother was in heaven till proven otherwise.

Still looking down at himself he wondered just what kind of bar Gabe was leading them to. Wiping off the last of demon blood from his kukris he buttoned the clasps on their sheaths adjusting them so they tucked up against the small of his back rather than his hips concealing them better. Keeping pace with the fallen arch he reached into one of his trench coat pockets pulling out a crumpled pack of cigarettes gaining a groan from him. "Fuck me I just bought this pack." Finding one that was merely bent at a weird angle he jammed that in the corner of his mouth before finding his lighter. Flick, pop, and the satisfying little crackle of paper burning Aaaron took in the deepest drag of his life holding it in his lungs till he couldn't stand the burn and blew it out on a heavy breath. "You smoke? There's one more less than bent to shit one."

Aaron's Fuck-o-Meter: 8
QUINN COX HANSEN
Posted: Aug 9 2014, 12:33 AM

ALLIANCE - PLAYED BY TORI
Group Icon

Group: FALLEN ARCHANGEL
Member No.: 337

all we had burned on the pyre

Gabriel couldn’t help the matching snort that escaped him. “I guess not.” It was an apt point to put on it and a welcome one. Particularly in the light it showed of how much Aaron had inherited from him despite not even knowing his identity until this point in his life. It was pride that surged through him at the clear determination to have made a difference and done good despite being labelled an abomination that Aaron showed. “I never…. Thought to question that order.” Gabriel admitted quietly. “Never thought what anyone might be losing with it standing.” And he thought back to the nephilim he’d killed without a second thought over the years – and empathized suddenly with the loneliness they must have felt.

One side of his mouth quirked up in a smile at the puzzled expression on Aaron’s face that he tried to hide; likely in response to wondering exactly what kind of bar the fallen archangel was leading them to if it was a place where blood would garner little attention. He’d always preferred the rough and tumble dive bars like Darrel’s Den. And maybe that had originally stemmed from when he stewed more deeply in his bitterness; with the years that had stretched onward like a ribbon unfurling before him without end or seeming unchanging. Now; now that he had finally set his feet back upon the path that he hoped would someday earn him back his wings – Gabriel was forced to see how blind he had been and that he had already been making that slow inexorable descent into corruption that he so feared with every fiber of his being.

And so he loved dive bars, loved the seedy and dark underbelly of the world where you watched your back for a knife that might come at any moment for any provocation – because it had felt like a place he belonged again because he felt as if he wasn’t worth more than that.

Granted.

The fallen archangel knew he only fit in at higher class establishments when he made an effort to simply because it wasn’t his nature. He didn’t know if that had been something that had always been a part of him or if it had arisen after his fall and years in Australia and adopting much of their culture. Any stereotype had a grain of truth at the core and the one of a rough n’tumble Aussie wasn’t a strange one. Particularly when one considered the country’s origins as a penal colony.

Gabriel shook his head. “I don’t smoke, no.” Not that it was for any kind of health reason or for anything beyond that it was just a vice he’d never picked up – but the point was moot anyway. He tucked his hands deeper into the pockets of his jeans and walked shoulder to shoulder with his son as they ducked into the bar he had mentioned a few doorways down from the alleyway they’d emerged from. Like he’d predicted; they garnered a few curious looks and one stern one from the bouncer but no one commented and Gabe slid into a stool at the bar.

tl; dr - gabe likes dive bars
AARON JOSEPH STARLING
Posted: Aug 11 2014, 02:54 PM

Group Icon

He'd never ask for Gabe's approval, or his praise. Over a century without a father he didn't have that need that desire to make him proud. But he was happy to see similarities between the two of them that some part of Aaron was Gabriel some of his qualities had carried over.

“i never…. thought to question that order. never thought what anyone might be losing with it standing.”

Aaron's knee jerk reaction to that was a flare of anger and perhaps a prang of sorrow at all of the others like him that had been killed simply for being alive and it reminded him that perhaps if his father had known of his birth he wouldn't be standing here talking with him. But Gabriel was a solider, and as had Aaron. "You were just following orders," he said looking down his brows pulled together. "Any good solider doesn't think, he just follows orders. It makes it easier to pull the trigger. If you stop and think, if you empathize...you're dead." he said somewhat flatly. You saw a uniform you didn't see a boy that was barely a man as you squeezed the trigger. It would break you. It was your order, to protect. Why would his father question? He'd had no reason to. Still, it hurt. It hurt that his kind weren't given a chance to prove themselves, that the moment they were born they were condemned hated by all for something they had no control over.

Some seedy dive of a bar or some exclusive trendy night club it didn't matter to Aaron, he had the look to get into either. Still he didn't go walking in covered in blood. But if Gabe said it didn't matter then well, fuck it he wasn't going to question it. It was still all so strange to just be walking with his father, he felt a bit out of his own body, like this was a dream or movie that this really wasn't happening. But his side was still sore from where he'd been knocked down, he could still feel where Gabe's blade had nicked his throat. His hand felt fine but was a little stiff, all signs that this was really happening and it wasn't so strange fever dream.

The bar they walked into was as promised. Dark and seedy and totally sketch. It was as if you took a dark age tavern and made it modern, that's what it felt like to him. And just like the angel had said no one really gave the two of them a second look. Taking the last deep, deep drag of his cigarette Aaron snuffed it out blowing the smoke through his nose. Taking a seat next to him, elbows on the bar he pushed his hand through his hair again and let out a long sigh. "I'll take a bourbon, if they got Jim Beam the whole damn bottle then." he said glancing over the rows of alcohol. "Had a few boys from the South stationed with us in our unit, introduced us to the joys of proper moonshine and bourbon." he said with an amused snort. Looking down he tapped his fingers against the wood of the bar studying the grain. "It was during the war when I found out what I was." he said in a hushed tone.

QUINN COX HANSEN
Posted: Aug 13 2014, 08:12 PM

Group Icon

“I should’ve questioned it.” He said softly, turning his face back towards the sky. “A leader questions orders that he believes unlawful and do to right by his men.” Gabe’s voice was distant, speaking more to himself than Aaron. “He created me to lead Heaven; was I supposed to question it? Was it a test that I failed like so many others that I did not?” He sighed, breaking his staring contest with the stars and shook himself back to focus on his son. Aaron was right, and he’d been a common soldier enough times to know that was how it worked and how it had to work to uphold both discipline and preserve lives and order. But now he could not help but think of those other nephilims over the years who had met their end at the tip of his blade. He’d never known any of their stories and never cared to. Funny how such a thing changed when it was your own flesh and blood destined for the sword; and that brought a fresh wave of guilt for the hypocrisy. Especially in light of the anger he could see flare in Aaron’s eyes at his words.

The dim light of the bar was still brighter than the alley had been; but not enough to throw the blood on their clothes into stark relief. And so the other patrons were able to more or less ignore them and feign willful ignorance.

Gabe snorted, eyes crinkling at the edges. Apparently some things ran in the family, genetic or not. He flagged the bartender down, and the man stared at them; bored and clearly not at all perturbed by the two men.“Jim Beam, three fingers; Johnnie Walker, same. Just leave the bottles.” It was a minute later the two glasses were slid in front of the men, and their preferences left in front of them. The fallen archangel bit back a snicker about moonshine; memories flashing back to Violet and her brothers and the moonshine that apparently was either a common thing or that her family at least was into. He knocked back half the scotch in one go, a mild burn in his throat as he swallowed. Something of the tension at the base of his neck eased; his body reacting already to the familiar taste and weight of alcohol on his tongue – his constant companion these days.

He leaned forward onto his forearms on the bar, deeply interested despite himself. He’d never known what it was like not to know on an instinctual level what you were; and the idea of it was strange. Being an archangel had consumed, and still did, his entire being and suffused him with purpose. But having your entire world shook on its head like that in one single moment, to know that everything right down to the species that you were was a lie – what could that be like? Gabriel knew he could never know, and it was one more thing among many that father and son could never share. “How?” The fallen archangel couldn’t help himself but ask in the same lowered voice.

tl; dr - gabe likes dive bars
AARON JOSEPH STARLING
Posted: Aug 13 2014, 11:51 PM

Group Icon

He joined his father's gaze up to the heavens, listening to him. A part of him wanted to say yes he should of, how could he so blindly act out an order. But Gabe hadn't known one day his own flesh and blood would be a nephilim. Who was he to judge an order from God Himself?

"One thing I never understood." he said still staring up at the stars his brows pulling tighter together. "Tell a man to bind his only son to an altar and kill him to show is loyalty and then stop him. I know why supposedly God did it and why Abraham nearly killed his son, but why? Why put them both through that? As much as I'd have liked it to be, I don't think it was a test. God already wiped the world of us once before why have a change of heart now? You did what you were told. What do they always say? It's God's will?" he said trying so hard to keep the bitterness out of his voice, but finding it impossible to do so.

So his dad was a scotch man? He'd have to remember that. Sitting there next to him in this seedy little bar it was still a lot to take in. Moments ago he'd known nothing about his father except for a vague first name. Now he knew his name, his true name, that he was the Gabriel and he'd almost been killed by him. His hand absentmindedly came up to his neck the pad of his finger running over the fresh scab that would be gone within an hour or so. Rolling the glass around and around watching the amber liquid slosh around. Gripping the glass he tilted his head back and opened his throat downing his glass all in one go hissing and giving one couch before he wiped his mouth with his thumb. He was quiet for a moment, letting the burn wash over him and numb everything.

"We were in Poland, not that far out of Warsaw. My unit was trying to catch up to the an SS unit that was moving through the country. Even back then there were rumors of the camps. Most thought they were just labors camps, none of them would have ever guessed that they were killing people.Either way we searched towns after they can been through trying to find people they'd missed. We got there a little early this time, there will still SS walking the streets. It was just myself a handful of my men, not enough to take anyone on, we had to be quiet about it. I couldn't explain it then, but...I could almost sense people hiding, like something pulled me towards them. I'd split off from my men drawn to a house. Behind a false wall was a boy, maybe seven or eight at most. I told him everything would be all right. And then I hear footsteps, I put him back behind the false wall and get into the closet. I draw my kukris, gun would just alert others quicker. All I can think about is I'm not letting them take this one. I'm saving him, he isn't going to the camps. Whoever is on the other side is right in front of the closet. I didn't think, I just lunged stabbing the person who'd been standing there square in the chest. Something's not right though, the sounds their making...it's not a man. That's when I see...it's a boy. Barely older then the one I just saved, he's in a Hitler Youth outfit." he paused for a moment taking in a long deep breath, wetting his lips, clenching and unclenching his jaw before continuing. "I-I tried to stop the bleeding, such a big blade on a little body...so much blood. I didn't even hear the SS come into the room. I feel the rounds slam into my chest, pierce my lungs, tear into my heart, but I won't let them take him. I come back them and I promise with my dying breaths I'll kill them all. I-I go down, I can feel my lungs filling with blood, taste it in my throat, coughing it up. I feel my heart fluttering and shutter. World starts to go dark and I think this is it. I die here, right now upon this floor. I feel like the pain is going to tear me apart and I'm waiting to black out from it and let death take me. But I don't, I don't die the pain is there, getting worse and worse. All I can think is...why am I not dying? Why does it hurt so much? How can it hurt so much and not kill me?" he reached up without really thinking about, fingers on his chest. "I black out finally, for how long...I don't know. When I came to smell of death is all around me. They threw me in a pit, a mass grave. And...and next to me is." he closes his eyes tight fingers curling into a fist upon the bar. "They executed him, put a fucking luger to the back of his head and pulled the trigger." clenching his jaw hard the veins in his arm lifted his fist clenched so tight. " I was so sore and weak, but I managed to somehow crawl out of that pit. I felt different, like...something had been flipped on inside me. I could sense other things now...what I'd find out to be demons, and they were crawling within the Nazi party especially the SS, that's when I vowed to kill every single last one of them."

QUINN COX HANSEN
Posted: Aug 25 2014, 03:02 PM

Group Icon

“It’s not obedience.” Gabriel said quietly. “It’s respect.”

It was a fine point to put on something that seemed so out of reach to someone who had never seen God or never seen anything but the harsher side of him. Aaron had only ever known the vengeful God striking out at mistakes; Gabriel still remembered the loving father who had created him. Still remembered the good times before everything had fallen apart and their father had seemingly stepped out on them and left the world to burn behind him. “The perils of omnipotence is that it means you can never quite understand how those around you relate.” He said quietly. “Omnipotence and omniscience create the two edged sword in which there is a level of relatability that is lost between the beings.” It wasn’t an excuse necessarily but it was hard to justify something as black and white when it so clearly was not. God was a great and unknowable, a father they could never understand. “I cannot ever pretend to understand my father. What his will is, what it was and why he asks the things he does. But I believe. And I have faith.” And the startling thing that Gabriel had come realize was that he still did. Even after all the bitterness and the frustration over the years; he still did.

Gabe darted his tongue out to swipe away a drop of the Scotch off his lip, finishing off the glass and pouring himself another from the bottle in front of him. He watched as Aaron’s fingers trailed across the cut he’d made in his neck; the mark left by Gabriel’s blade.

His fingers tightened on the glass, already knowing that the story must end badly. Why shouldn’t it; considering the way things seemed to run in their family? Why would Aaron be any different and escape that fate despite his half human heritage? The fallen archangel listened in silence to his son’s words, letting the story slip over him like a wave as he struggled to keep the emotions from fighting free. Not only from the suddenly hypocritical thoughts of fury that they’d shot his son; but to the horrors of war and the things that had gone on in those years in the backwoods and the darkness of Europe. Gabriel laughed hollowly. “A fate richly deserved.” It was easier to forget that the demons were a part of his family too. Most of them had never been angels and he had never crossed paths with them as anything more than enemies. It was not as easy with the archdemons.

He didn’t know what to say. The pain that day had caused Aaron was stark on his face; and Gabriel did not want to trivialize it with something as inconsequential as an apology. For not being there? For not knowing? It seemed so stupid now. So mindless. Instead, he took a long drink of the Scotch and stared unseeingly forward. “When I lost my wings… I watched them burn to ash in my brother’s hands as my siblings watched without pity. I plummeted to Earth and I walked the planet alone for a millennia watching as my siblings tear the world apart around us and knowing there is nothing I can do to stop it. Nothing I can do to hold my family together even though it is what I was born to do and what I would give anything for.” His own pain offered in response to the way aaron had laid those moments bare before him. A beat of solitude between two men wounded by the world.

stupid men.
AARON JOSEPH STARLING
Posted: Sep 2 2014, 12:53 AM

Group Icon

There had been a time in his youth, sitting there in church when he would sit in awe and wonder. Trying to imagine Heaven, conceive of an eternity within it. He'd close his eyes and try to feel God within his heart, try to wrap his head around one great being that had created all that he saw, who'd breathed life into him. How the young boy couldn't wait to see it all, he'd finally meet his father.

The older he got though, the bitter he grew, to the point he stopped believing, stopped praying, turned his back on it all. What had God done for him? What had his so called 'angelic' father ever done either? They didn't want him? Well he didn't want them either.

Only then to realize his mother had been right. There were angels and there was a God. But, even if his father was divine he wasn't. Nephilim were damned, damned at the moment of birth to be forever barred from the gates of heaven. And even though he knew God was real, he hated him even more. And while his father spoke of God and of respect, trying to explain but not how God worked, he wanted to just accept it, he wanted to understand. But he couldn't. The more he listened the more the deep rooted anger just swelled. Even an angel, an archangel no less couldn't explain God even he didn't understand. Gabe uttered that hated word, faith. He hated it, it was the word everyone fell back on when they couldn't explain something. Faith, it was all faith, you just had to have faith. Aaron had had faith, he'd had plenty of it and look at where it got him. A dead mother and damned for all eternity no matter what he did. He could accept Jesus Christ he could be baptized and christened, pray the rosary and take communion from here till the end of time and it wouldn't matter.

The nephilim clenched his jaw so hard he was almost afraid of cracking his teeth. He was on the edge, the words right on the edge of his tongue, hateful and vile, fill with a century of anger and bitterness. But what good would it have done to yell them at Gabe? He wasn't God, what could he do to change it? He closed his eyes forcing down the tightness in his throat. His hands had been clenched so tight they'd nearly gone numb. "I-I dun wanna talk it anymore. I'll," he paused his voice cracking as he swallowed again. "I'ma just say things I'll regret. I shouldn'ta brought it up." he said unable to look at his father at that moment his eyes boring down to the ground beneath them.

Time never made the story any easier, it always flung him back to the day, it was still clear and vivid in his mind. He could see, smell, even taste everything about that little house. The deafening roar of rifles, the sound of rounds finding purchase on his lungs. The sickening crackle and gurgle sound of his lungs drowning in his own blood. The feel of his heart wanting, wishing, begging to stop but unable. The smell of gun powder and burned flesh. The old tacky feel of dried blood that had soaked his uniform, the smell of dirt and rotting corpses, the glassy dead eyes of every body he passed as he crawled out of the mass grave. It all came rushing back each and every time.

He bypassed the tumbler, just taking the bottle of Jim Beam by the neck and tilting his head back, wanting to burn it all away. Shakily setting the bottle back down on the bar. "Death is too good for them, they don't deserve it, but it's all I can do, all I can offer to stop them. Even as futile as pointless as it all seems."

Aaron had never been an angel, never been holy, never seen heaven, never had sibling, no brothers or sisters. But he tried his best to understand his father's own pain, knowing that the archangel was trying to relate, to bare a piece of himself like Aaron had. He didn't feel it was his place to ask, but an angel fell because of something, of an action or a deed. Gabriel had been stripped of his wings for something he did, at least that was his understanding of how it went. Aaron, Aaron never had a chance. Aaron would never have a chance. "But you still think its worth it...worth fighting for, worth trying to save. After all that, after all they've done to you." he shook his head a little a hand still firm on the neck on the bottle. "I'm selfish. I don't hunt them for the greater good, for God, to save earth, none of that. I had to let it out...the anger, the pain or I felt like...I'd just rip in two. In the beginning maybe it was for that boy in that grave, for the men in my unity they'd killed, all of the people that had died in the camps, but after seventy years...it's none of that is keeping me going. Maybe some part of me does it for the 'greater good' may some part of me still hopes that maybe..." he stopped shaking his head drowning out the thoughts in his head with more bourbon.

QUINN COX HANSEN
Posted: Sep 2 2014, 02:05 AM

Group Icon

Gabriel smiled hollowly. “Good-o.” He huffed in agreement; knowing down that path lay only disagreement and fighting; for points of view that could never be anything approaching conciliatory. It was a fundamental flaw that was born of a divine parent who had never known anything but faith and a earthly son who had never known anything but pain from it. Gabriel loved and trusted his father, and he had faith in him and his ways despite how he sometimes hated him for letting the things happen that did and letting him fall to Earth for so many thousands of years alone save for Lucifer and Beezlebub. He didn’t look at his son either.

“They tore my wings for the disobeying.” Gabriel said quietly. “For the crime of saving my brother. I broke ranks to rescue him and in doing so condemned myself to fall for disobedience.” His chin tipped to his chest and his shoulders slumped. “A crime I would commit a thousand times over to protect my brother, despite all it has cost me.” Gabriel turned his face to look at his son, sensing the disagreement and perhaps something edging nearly on what might be called disgust for a fallen father. “Yes.” He said softly. “I do. It’s worth it to me, even if it isn’t to them.” He took another long drink from the bottle of scotch. “I don’t know how to explain it. They’re my family. No matter the things they’ve done to me, after everything; but it’s everything I fight for and everything I am. I was born the Prince of Angels. Born to lead Heaven, to be a big brother and protect my family. It’s all I know how to do.” The fallen archangel said helplessly. “It’s who I am.” And despite that it was a destiny he’d been born into and had no part in choosing; it wasn’t one he’d change even if he could.

The fallen archangel didn’t think any less of the Nephilim for his admission. Choosing to hunt demons down and wipe them out for selfish reasons was hardly a crime; hardly a sin – or at least, it wasn’t to Gabriel. “Healthier than other ways you could have gone I suppose.” He offered with a snort. It hurt; feeling the spark of goodness that burned in his son’s heart and knowing it would forever go unrewarded as it should by a place in Heaven. More so knowing there was nothing he could do to rectify it. Even if he won back his wings and place in Heaven, that he couldn’t change the rules. That God himself had barred the gates to nephilims and no mere archangel could undo that.

Gabriel sighed. “It’s not fair. It’s never been fair. And I don’t know why God chose to set the rule as he did.” He scrubbed a hand across the back of his neck fruitlessly, searching for words that wouldn’t come. “I want to understand Aaron. To be able know and share your pain as a father should; if you’ll even have me as one after all this time and what I’ve done. But I can’t. Just as you can’t understand my pain and my associated problems with my family – and that is a failing on neither of our parts. All I can do is promise that if you want me, if you ever need anything only ask and I will do anything in my power to give it.” It was all he had to give.

-sniffling-
AARON JOSEPH STARLING
Posted: Sep 2 2014, 03:33 AM

Group Icon

He was glad it had been dropped, glad Gabriel had no doubt sensed it too. They'd gotten off on a bad enough foot as it was. They didn't need to bicker and argue about who was right and who was wrong, because neither were. Their views were both valid. But it still hurt, it hurt because Aaron knew no matter what Gabe could never understand how he felt and at the end of the day the very being that had basically ordered the death of his son Gabe still loved, still believed in and Aaron simply couldn't understand that. He had to wonder if it hurt Gabe that Aaron had so much hate and contempt for God. At some level had to understand why, could he really blame him?

Listening to the reason why his brother had fallen, he'd hoped it would have may him feel better, in some way, but it honestly only angered him more. As a soldier as a man who'd been with a unit, men he'd dared to call the closest thing to brothers he'd ever had or have he knew what it meant to break rank, to disobey. But to be punished so harshly for saving another? His brows pulled together and he shook his head as if he didn't understand what Gabriel was saying. "No man gets left behind." he said unsure if that was towards Gabe or just himself.

He wondered almost felt like he needed to understand Gabe's reasons, why he still cared, why he still fought, but the more he went on. Then the words protect and family slipped from his lips. And that old anger that blind anger he'd been unable to focus at for years he thought he'd punched out of himself came rolling back. He hadn't known, it was all he could tell himself over and over again to keep himself quiet. Gabriel protected, fought for the very 'family' that had ripped his wings. It was selfish to think it, even childish perhaps, but Aaron was Gabe's own flesh and blood, where had he been when a son had needed his father? Where had he been when his mother lay dying. But he couldn't think like that, if he'd known, if he'd known things could have, may have been different. Getting angry about that, being bitter about it, it did no good.

He wet his lips refusing to look his father in the eye. "Demons weren't the only consideration," he said shifting on the stool "Ironically, Hell hadn't done anything wrong by me. The SS that fired on me were men not demons." staring hard into the grain of the wood he bit the insides of his cheeks. "When I found out what nephilim were, what heaven thought of them...I'm not proud of the things I thought back then. Demons happened to be easier. No one misses men gassing thousands of Jews. No one misses murdering while villages in Vietnam. No one misses a man beheading woman and children in Iraq."

He knew Gabe was trying his very best to try and comfort the nephilim to ease even just a little bit of his pain and anger. But like he said neither of them could understand the other's point of view, Gabe simply could not empathize with his own son. He could sympathize, understand to a degree the why. But they'd never have that true connection Aaron had wanted for so long, and that hurt the post.

Aaron hadn't had a father for a literal lifetime, he really couldn't even wrap his head around what that would be like. He'd gone three fourths of a century without any form of family. He'd been alone. He knew the archangel was offering him all he had to give, but it still made him feel so hollow inside. Because all he wanted he knew Gabe had no power to give. All he'd ever wanted to know what that his mum was in heaven, it was the one question he'd always wanted to ask if he'd ever come across his father, and now that he had he couldn't get that answer.

His leg started to bounce up and down on the rung of the stool like mad, trying to keep it all together in front of his father in this dank dive of a bar. He let out a little puff of breath in some vain attempt at amusement. "Well ya bought me a drink it's a start." He tried to keep what little grin he could manage on his face. [b]"Just tell me Heaven is a shite place that's all pompous and gaudy, that I won't be missin' a thing. All fuckin' white n' cloudy, probably hate it." his leg bounced faster and faster as he searched for the mangled pack of cigarettes the burn of alcohol not enough now. By some small miracle he got the thing lit and took a pull so deep it was a wonder he didn't burn it straight down to the filter. He had his thumb to his lips biting at it his leg holding at it's frantic pace, in the dim light of the bar it was easy to catch the wateriness of his eyes now the way his neck muscles strained. "Can you imagine me in one'a those flouncy white fuckin' robes? Sides the fuckin' wings'd ruin the tat on mah back yea? Make it look awful." He sniffed loudly though not a tear fell. He took another impossibly long drag a quiver in his chin as he pulled the cigarette away. "For all eternity is a really fucking long time." was all he said before going quiet, so tense so constricted he felt like he was going to snap.

QUINN COX HANSEN
Posted: Sep 15 2014, 12:33 PM

Group Icon

Aaron had grown up without a father. As painful as it was, it was a truth that Gabriel could not deny. Where the fault and the blame lay on the subject was complicated and muddled and better left for a time when he hadn’t finished his first bottle of scotch and had already cracked the seal on a second; but the point of it was that it meant there were pieces he could never understand. Gabriel had known his father. Third born of all beings on the planet – he was one of the very, very few who had ever spoken to God and seen his face. Gabriel still remembered a time when he could reach out and feel his father’s love, and the reassuring presence of the creator. And so it meant, that despite all his bitterness and all his pain; all the times he had screamed and cursed at the sky – that he loved his father and believed. That he still had faith, even if it had taken Jazisiel and Talon to reawaken it in him.

Gabriel’s lips pressed together in a line, but he didn’t argue. He, of all people, knew that the demons of hell weren’t completely beyond salvation; or at least a bridge of friendship. He number Lucifer and Beezlebub among his most trusted and closest friends, the very leaders of that demonic army themselves. But that wasn’t what his son was saying. The standing order in Hell was the same as it was in Heaven for nephilims; kill upon sight without mercy. But the fallen archangel had his suspicions that it might not be as rigidly enforced in the hellspawn army. He sighed. “Humans are capable of unspeakable atrocities.” He said softly. “But then, so is any species.” His own attempt to kill Aaron earlier – unbidden, his eyes flicked to the spot of blood on his son’s neck – was proof enough of that. “No one misses them, and plenty are thankful for their absence.”

His own efforts over the years had been more focused on the demonic, but he wasn’t blind to the things that went on in the world. All too often he found his own prey in the same kinds of places that the humans creating the messes lurked; and all too often working side by side. Gabe’s lips twisted ironically. He might have crossed paths with his son over the past hundred years and never realized it.

The prince of angels was grateful that Aaron didn’t press the subject, the realization that there would be this fundamental topic between them that could never be resolved a hard one to swallow.

He’d always wanted children; or he had back in the days he still wore angel wings. His own flesh and blood. Gabriel’s heart clenched at the memory. Just one more thing his fall had taken from him – except it had given him Aaron and he could not count that as anything but a gift no matter the pain it threatened to bring further into both their lives. He snorted. “Gaudy like you wouldn’t believe.” It was half true. The spires and towers of his home were elegant as they twisted among the clouds; but it was probably more ostentatious than strictly necessary for a place that was supposedly home to humble being like angels. Personally; Gabriel thought that they’d all just had a rather confusing sense of humor in the early days.

He leaned forward onto the bar, resting his weight on his elbows interested. “You’ve chest and back pieces too?” He had already seen the hints of the ink decorating his son’s skin peeking out over the top of his shirt and at the edges of his sleeves – and it had caught his attention. Gabriel wanted to know what they all were, what pieces of art Aaron had chosen to put to his skin for an eternity. And atop it, he was fascinated by the idea that such things seemed to run between them. His own tattoos weren’t as high up his neck as his son’s, but both of the back of their hands were written over in swirling patterns and words. It was as an easy a subject as any to turn the conversation away from a place that was only going to bring both of them more pain.

better topic?
AARON JOSEPH STARLING
Posted: Sep 17 2014, 12:25 AM

Group Icon

Aaron could see where he and his father walked down the same path. The two of them walked side by side down a common and wide path. But there were points, key points when the two split off going off on their own miles away from the other, but ultimately the path merged once more. He and Gabe wanted the same things, but their views differed greatly their experiences their place in the world varying so great it was impossible for the other to see from the other's point of view. Thankfully both of them saw and acknowledged that. Aaron knew just because he was Gabe's son because he was his flesh and blood it didn't mean he could change Aaron's views. He may be his father but he hadn't been there, he'd never been shown the side of heaven of God that Gabriel knew. Aaron never expected his father to simply drop his beliefs because of what had happened to him either.

"I don't regret them...the blood was on their hands when I pulled the trigger or drove a blade through their gut."

Aaron only managed a short little nod, a hollow reassurance. But still he couldn't shake it from his mind. He barely heard his question coughing a little on the cigarette smoke his throat so tight and constricted. Biting at his cheeks he roughly rubbed an eye with the heel of his palm and nodded. "Not much of me left," he said clearing his throat. "Reminders, mementos, art...quotes...whatever I felt like..."

Downing the rest of his bottle he worked on finishing his cigarette holding the smoke in his lungs till it burned. "A fanged skull on my back, an Asian demon on my chest. It's the one thing that, takes it all away and I just got away somewhere deep like...meditating. The pain reminds me I'm alive the rush after. No matter how much or how little I have no one can take them away. They can't take away the memories I've written on my skin."

QUINN COX HANSEN
Posted: Oct 6 2014, 11:52 PM

Group Icon

“Good.” Gabe said roughly, lost in his own memories over the years of his life of doing the same; blood staining the bright angelsteel of his blade as he took their lives from them. For how many years had father and son crossed the globe, doing the same jobs and hunting out the same evil from the corners of a world that would never thank them? For entirely different reasons and in the end finding that opinions of them were nearly the same. But at least Gabriel had earned the animosity against him compared to Aaron. His own was for the middle man role he played; the slaying of demons and the abstainment from getting involved with one side or another despite still devoutly believing in and supporting the Alliance cause. For his fall from Heaven and the actions that had precipitated it. Aaron was hated for the simple blood that ran in his veins – so when it was boiled down to its truest sense, both of their animosity from others was Gabriel’s fault. “They didn’t deserve to live.”

The line was easy to draw when it came to the ranks of lesser demons. There had never been a problem with systematically exterminating them from the face of the planet and blasting them away to never return. The archdemons however, made the line murkier. Especially considering his relationship with Lucifer and Beezlebub. Evil as they were – Gabriel didn’t believe himself capable of a raising a blade against them, and in many cases against the rest of his demonic siblings as well. He was a man who had devoted every fiber of his being into protecting and caring for his family – and as he’d told Lucifer on that day outside of the Violet’s bakery, a man who would let the world burn if it meant keeping his family whole.

The fallen archangel’s lips twitched in a crooked smile. “Same here.” Though what he could see of his son’s tattoos were of a vastly different sort than the ones that marked his father’s skin. Where Gabriel’s were such things as biblical lyrics and linguistic sayings that spoke to him – Aaron’s were of such other artistry and paintings recreated in ink. It struck him as interesting how similar they were in the paintings of their own skin, but so different in the execution of it.

Gabe took a long draught of his own bottle, contemplating his son’s words. The subtle reminder in the differences in their mortality slipped under his skin like a loose barb that caught and continued to itch, even as he tried to push past it for the moment. “Like it’s a piece of your life that you can control no matter what else swirls around you; and it’s something to hold onto despite it all. Permanence.” The words escaped him in a jumble in a half formed thought, his own thoughts and reasoning behind his tattoos much less clearly formed and concrete than his son’s. “They suit you well.” He said quietly.

words
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 
NEW POLL

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0583 seconds · Archive

skin by avey and cody's a wizard of shine.