InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Oblivescence. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

OBLIVESCENCE
welcome to oblivescence! we are a brand spankin' new marauders' era rpg, and we're thrilled that you've discovered our cozy little corner of the internet. take a few minutes to read through the plot, look over the rules, and explore the board, and if you feel so inclined, please fill out an application! we'd love to have you. if you've got any questions, scroll down to the cbox and ask away; we're more than happy to help you out.

current news: the current time in our rpg is november, 1977. watch this space for updates and announcements.

Update: August 1st! We would like to congratulate KELLY, our new moderator! Please extend to her your warmest and fuzziest welcomes.

Update: July 20th! AN ACTIVITY CHECK HAS BEEN POSTED! We are serious about getting things going again, so please post if you plan to keep your characters. We will be doing a lot of advertising once we get the board cleaned out of all the dead stuff, and we need your help to get things going. Start plotting, threading, rekindling old flames, whatever it takes! Thank you for your dedication.

Update: May 21st! a note has been posted on the bulletin board — a hogsmeade visit is coming up! find your parents christmas gifts, buy yourself some candy, or sip on a butterbeer with your special someone. click here for more details on this, and on other important site updates for the months of may and june.

APPARATE

Protego - An HP RPG

your gravity ruins everything, tag: edeva. october 1, 1977.
sirius o. black
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 08:33 AM

EMILY
Group Icon

Group: GRYFFINDOR ADMIN
Member No.: 2

• tag: kelli/edeva ♥
  • words: 666 (yikes)
  • notes: ily
we started off across a room, locking eyes and subtle clues
you fill my head and weigh me down
Sirius had been sentenced to worse detentions than this in the past. For instance, cleaning out desks in classrooms was much more desirable than the time he'd been sent out to look for chimera dung deep in the Forbidden Forest. However, what was particularly detestable about this detention assignment was that he was forced to do it alongside Edeva Rosier, a girl he was not at all interested in associating with for several reasons he could name. For one, if it hadn't been for her, he wouldn't be here serving detention in the first place. If it hadn't been for him attempting to save her out of the goodness of his heart, she would be serving detention alone and he would probably still be up in Gryffindor tower sleeping as it was a Saturday morning and he had no classes. But no, Sirius had been idiotic enough to try to help the young Slytherin girl, and look what good it had done him. Another reason he was not at all interested in speaking with Edeva again was because she was a Rosier, a member of one of the closest pureblood families to his own, and one he'd been trying to avoid ever since he'd left home over the summer for good. He had nothing to say to the Rosiers or to anyone who associated with his family, for that matter, they were all pureblood elitist scum. Yet another reason Sirius was not interested in the company of the girl serving detention with him was the mere fact that she associated quite often with his younger brother. No, not only did Edeva associate with Regulus. They were something of close friends, though how anyone could be close friends with Regulus Black was beyond Sirius's comprehension. All the more reason to avoid Edeva at all costs, Sirius thought to himself.

Unfortunately, avoidance was not a viable option today as they were being forced to clean out all of the desks in all of the classrooms together. Sirius didn't understand why they couldn't just break up and split up the rooms that had to be done, but Professor Zeller insisted that wasn't an option. All of this frustrated Sirius to no end. Professor Zeller could shove it. Sirius had never thought much of the Muggle Studies professor, and he certainly didn't think much more of him now. Professors were always shoving pointless rules down students' throats, and even though Zeller tried to pretend he was young and cool and in with the kids, he was just as pathetic as the rest of them. What was the point of the curfew anyway? They'd just been roaming the hallways; it wasn't as if either of them was actually in the midst of doing something harmful to themselves or to others. Actually, maybe Edeva had been. Sirius couldn't really speak for her, but as for himself, he was entirely innocent.

Sirius grumbled to himself about the injustice of all of it as he set to work on a random desk in the middle of the room. They probably should have gone about attacking the desks in this room in a more methodical way, but Sirius wasn't really interested in making things any easier on Edeva. Again, it was her fault they were here in the first place. He began pulling out wads of crumpled parchment, gagging a bit when he noticed that some of them were sticky. Having no idea how old these pieces of parchment were or how long they had been lodged in this desk, Sirius could not even begin to imagine what the gooey substance was all over it. Grimacing, he stuff the parchment into an empty garbage bag, catching a glimpse of that horrible Rosier girl as he did so. "What are you looking at, frowny face?" Sirius growled at her. "It's your fault we landed here in the first place, so if you think I'm going to do all of this work alone, you are sorely mistaken."

edeva o. rosier
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 04:33 PM

KELLI
Group Icon

Group: SLYTHERIN
Member No.: 5

all this weight
is honest worst; we're moderate, we modernize til our hell is a good life. All we know what to forget, how to do right, coloring in the black hole. Can we stop? When we stop my hands will shake, My eyes will burn, my throat will ache, Watching you turn from me towards your friends. what i thought it was it isn't now, what i thought it was it isn't.
Edeva was about as thrilled to be serving detention alongside Sirius as she’d been when they had initially been caught together several nights previous, which was—needless to say—not very thrilled at all. There weren’t many people that wanted to be stuck in a stuffy old classroom, forced to spend quality time with someone who clearly despised them, and Edeva was no exception to this rule. Every grumble that escaped him threatened to drive her up the wall, and she kept her steadily fixed upon the desks they were cleaning, afraid that if she looked at him she might actually explode out of pure frustration.

In reality, it wasn’t even Sirius Black that was the problem here—it was simply his involvement in the situation. Evan Rosier had somehow found out about this detention the very day after it had been assigned, and the final installment of the angry and threatening note exchange between Edeva and her brother had plagued her mind since the moment she’d crumpled it up and tossed it in the waste bin. If Evan found out that Edeva and Sirius’ joint detention was even slightly less than complete coincidence—if he found out, in other words, that she had lied—he would surely tell their parents, and all would go even further downhill than it had already tumbled. Getting a detention for breaking school rules was alone enough to rile up the Rosiers, but getting a detention due to fraternization with a blood traitor? That, surely, was unforgivable. The worst part was that Edeva hadn’t even meant any involvement with Sirius—it was just the way that things had panned out—and now they were both paying the price for an unlucky stroke of fate.

Though she would have preferred to work their shift in the silence they’d already established, the Gryffindor’s remarks demanded Edeva’s attention, and with a sigh she pulled her gaze up to consider him briefly. “Don’t act as though this is all my doing,” she said evenly, her countenance unreadable. “It was your decision to pull me under that cloak in the first place. If you hadn’t felt so inclined to act the hero, you wouldn’t be here right now.” It was true; he had done the Gryffindor thing—had acted in an impulsive display of bravery—and though he was paying the price, his accusatory attitude showed no signs of a lesson learned. Edeva’s eyes hardened and she looked back down at the desk she was working on, taking out a few old homework papers and dropping them into her own empty trash bag. “And anyway,I am doing my share of the work, I just haven’t been spitting and snarling about it like a grumpy old dog, and you’ve been too busy doing so to notice.

She sidestepped to the next desk, and when she propped it open her eyes immediately fell upon a rather extensive pile of papers that had been folded into halves, probably notes passed from one student to another during class. Sirius did have a point; Edeva was being quite a bit slower than he was when it came to disposing of the garbage within the desks, the difference being that while Sirius crumpled and stuffed the papers into his trash bag with a reckless and careless abandon, Edeva couldn’t help but examine the rubbish a bit more closely. When Zeller had assigned the two miscreants to this job, he had not been aware of Edeva’s insatiable curiosity, and therefore had not considered the consequences of giving her a job that involved the disposal of the once-private pieces of her classmates’ lives. Eyes perusing the mountainous pile of waste, she spotted a particularly clean looking bit of parchment and reached for it to unfold with careful fingers. The handwriting was clearly that of a girl—looping, small, and deliberate—but the content of the note was better proof of a feminine culprit, for all it contained was the name Sirius Black written over and over and over again, the only variations being the addition of small scribbled hearts here and there, occasionally in place of the dot in the letter i.

Edeva looked up over the piece of parchment, and bit down on her bottom lip, a rare laugh caught at the corners of her mouth. “I think I’ve found something of yours,” she said in a low voice.

733.   emily!   notes: i love you! also, ignore da cigarette in this picture, because i didn't notice it until now lol.
THANKS EMILY @ ATF.

sirius o. black
Posted: Feb 10 2012, 03:24 PM

EMILY
Group Icon

• words: 775
  • notes: ily
Sirius scoffed when Edeva reminded him of what he had done a few days back. It had been stupid, him helping her like that, and he hated being reminded of it. He already knew it had been a mistake, and he could not even begin to explain to her why he had done it as he had no idea himself. He'd been beating himself up about it ever since it had happened, so her bringing it up again to him was just a complete joke. He frowned to himself, stuffing all of the junk from the desks into bags as quickly as he could, although that didn't really matter so much, he guessed. They had a set amount of time that they had to keep cleaning, so how much they got done was really of little consequence. It seemed as if more of the point of the punishment was in forcing the two students to be together, although he couldn't imagine any teacher admitting to such a sinister plot. Still, if Sirius focused on the work, however pointless it was, then he was hoping this Slytherin brat would be less inclined to speak to him. It had been working up to this point, but he had to open his mouth and ask the girl one stupid question, and now it seemed as if she wouldn't shut up.

"Right, sure, okay," Sirius grumbled, really just to have the last word more than anything else. He stuffed more pieces of parchment into his bag for further emphasis. He hated that she'd called him out on something and had been right about it. He was, in all honesty, acting a bit mopey, which he supposed was probably really annoying and not really his normal way of behaving. But the thing is he didn't really care whether or not he was annoying her. The fact that she was even there was annoying him. He hated the way that she was reading through all of the things she found in the random desks, as if any of it would mean anything to her anyway. He didn't see what the point was. Most of the things they were finding were just old discarded lecture notes anyway and well as a few sticky abandoned sugar quill candies, nothing to get very excited about. There was no need to examine each item as if she might actually want to keep it or something.

He barely looked up at Edeva when she laughed. Whatever it was that had caught her interest had nothing to do with him, he was sure, and anyway, from now on, he'd prefer to pretend there was a wall between them, as if they were working in two different rooms even though Professor Zeller had told them that would be unacceptable. Even after Edeva suggested that what she had found belonged to him, he just shook his head and continued working. Surely whatever it was wasn't actually his, and she was being stupid even pretending that it was. He'd never left an object in one of these desks in his life, and even if he had and had forgotten about it, he'd probably left it there for a reason, and he would not under any circumstances want it back, especially if it was covered in filth and goo like a lot of this junk was. He tried to block out her words without a response, but Edeva seemed intent on continuing to chuckle to herself as she looked the page over. In spite of himself, Sirius's interest was piqued. "Give it here," he said, snatching it from her hands.

Although Sirius had always heard that girls did things like this, seeing his name written in swirly letters with hearts drawn all over them was still a bit surprising. It was as if he was for the first time ever privy to the inside workings of a girl's brain, and he was sort of terrified by what he found there. Didn't this poor girl have anything more important to do in class than scribbling his name over and over again? She could have been taking a nap or chatting up her friends or something. The fact that she would choose to waste her time with this instead was actually a bit unsettling. However, he had no desire to let Edeva know just how ill at ease he felt about the writing. "Nice penmanship," he said casually, looking the paper up and down as if it were something to be considered seriously. "At least she didn't add a 'Mrs.' to the front of the name." He handed the parchment back to Edeva.

edeva o. rosier
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 09:36 PM

KELLI
Group Icon

all this weight
is honest worst; we're moderate, we modernize til our hell is a good life. All we know what to forget, how to do right, coloring in the black hole. Can we stop? When we stop my hands will shake, My eyes will burn, my throat will ache, Watching you turn from me towards your friends. what i thought it was it isn't now, what i thought it was it isn't.
Sirius was right in thinking that his terrible mood might be annoying to Edeva. Granted, the girl wasn’t exactly thrilled to be cleaning out desks with a person who—according to her family—was supposed to be a sworn enemy, but at least she wasn’t moaning and groaning and carrying on about it. She was beginning to wonder what so many girls saw in him; she’d heard that he was entertaining and often funny, but thus far, the only facets of his personality that he’d displayed to her had been moodiness, stubbornness, and a brash brand of bravery that was less impressive than it was frustrating.

She was curious to see what his reaction would be to what she had found in the desk, and she dropped her hands when he grabbed the parchment from her, resting her fingertips on the desk and watching his face as he looked over the note. She’d been almost certain that he must’ve seen things like this all the time; how could someone like Sirius Black not know how nearly every girl in the school was completely obsessed with him? It was no secret that he was very popular, very handsome, and very well liked by the female population of their school, and it seemed impossible that Sirius would be surprised to see his name scribbled from the pen of a daydreaming teenage girl. He probably relished the attention in the same way that his cohort James Potter seemed to bask in his popularity, and Edeva began to regret mentioning the note at all in fear that after looking it over, Sirius would develop more of a notion of superiority than he already had.

However, to Edeva’s surprise, the expression on the Gryffindor’s face as his brown eyes perused the writing was not one of satisfaction as much as one of discomfort. His words were curious and she couldn’t help but watch him as he looked the paper up and down one more time, the hint of a frown tugging at the corners of his handsome mouth. Did it really bother him that much? She noticed the way he quickly resolved his facial expression, taking on the look of nonchalance that he so often wore, but he was too late; she had seen the flicker of thought in his eyes, and it was too late for him to take it back. Edeva raised an eyebrow when Sirius handed the note back to her, and wondered why he hadn’t just thrown it into the trash bag with the rest of the rubbish… she supposed it might feel wrong to toss the intimate musings of a schoolgirl, but if it had been important, the girl probably wouldn’t have crammed into the desk in the first place. Edeva looked briefly at the paper, and proceeded to fold it in half, then into fourths, and then into eighths. She tossed the tiny square into the plastic bag heaped at her feet.

I’m sorry,” she said after a few seconds, not looking at him as she gathered a jumble of vaguely sticky papers to drop into the bag. “About the note, I mean.” She pointed her wand at the inside of the desk and shot some air from it to blow out the dust. Sliding the wand back into the pocket of her robes and moving to the next desk, she glanced up at Sirius, knowing that he would probably be annoyed with her for speaking again but unable to help herself. “I thought it was sort of amusing, but I guess it must be different when you’re the person who’s name is on the paper.

608   emily!   notes: let's make out, lol.
THANKS EMILY @ ATF.

sirius o. black
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 01:06 PM

EMILY
Group Icon

• words: 757
  • notes: making out, yes
To be sure, Sirius would have reacted to finding the parchment with his named scribbled all over it quite differently had it been a week or so prior. However, ever since that incident with Cassiopeia Ackerly telling everyone they were going to the ball with one another, Sirius had been a bit wary of girls like her in a way he'd never been before. He supposed there was really no harm in people spreading gossip about him, and it was better than the other thing people could be talking about, the fact that he'd left his elitist pureblood family behind and was now essentially homeless. All of this combined, however, had made him a bit more sensitive about people talking about him behind his back, even if it was something as silly as writing his name over and over again. It made him feel strangely exposed in a time when most of the time he was trying to avoid half of the school. His family's connections ran through most of the pureblood families in the wizarding world, including the person he was now stuck serving detention with. It was enough to make him paranoid for the time being, at least until he got a bit more used to being out on his own. Of course, if his cousin Andromeda could do it, he didn't see why he couldn't.

"Nothing to be sorry about," Sirius said, forcing a laugh. "It's just my name. I've been called much worse." He started clearing out dust in the now-empty desk just as he'd seen Edeva do. It was a small gesture, something Edeva might not have even recognized as a peace offering of sorts, but he was not one to mimic the actions of others if he didn't respect them in one way or another. Again, it was a small thing, but the fact that Edeva hadn't jumped to poking fun at him for his reputation with girls was enough to make her stand apart from most of his family's friends. For just a few minutes, Sirius allowed himself to think that maybe she was different. While she was turned away from him, digging things out of another desk, Sirius examined her, thinking to himself that in a lot of ways, Edeva Rosier was the exact same girl he remembered from when they were kids, and yet she still was not like he expected her to be at all. He guessed she had always been Regulus's friend more than she'd been his, and outside of Sirius and Evan occasionally teasing Edeva and Regulus about being boyfriend and girlfriend when they were little children, he supposed he and Edeva had never really had much to say to one another. In fact, in the past few days, he'd probably said more to Edeva than he had since they both started at Hogwarts.

"So what does Evan think about this?" Sirius asked her. He turned his eyes away from the girl and slid further away from her to work through a desk further down on the same row, forcing distance between them. "How does he feel about you serving time with a blood traitor like me?" He hadn't even questioned the fact that Evan knew about this. Of course her brother knew. A quiet little girl like Edeva wouldn't keep secrets from a family like the Rosiers. She seemed so well-behaved, like the type of person who would follow every rule her family set for her without stopping a moment to question any of it, which is part of the reason this whole situation baffled Sirius so much. Why had she been out in the hallways after hours in the first place? It flew in the face of everything he felt like he knew about Edeva and her place in her family. Certainly, Evan, her older brother, was just as surprised by this turn of events as Sirius was, if not more so. Knowing Evan, he couldn't imagine that her brother had reacted well. Still, when he asked Edeva about Evan, Sirius was less interested in what Evan thought about everything and more interested in what Edeva was thinking about this whole mess. The more he thought about her, the more curious he was about her, and the more he wondered how Edeva felt about Evan and about her family as a whole. More importantly, Sirius was beginning to wonder how she felt about being stuck in detention with him, or maybe he just wanted to know how she felt about him in general.

edeva o. rosier
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 11:25 PM

KELLI
Group Icon

all this weight
When Sirius shot a stream of air from his wand to clean the dust out of the desk he was working on, Edeva noticed. She’d already moved one row up and away from him, but now she snuck a glance at him out of the corner of her dark eyes, as though to make sure he’d really done it and she hadn’t just imagined the sound. She was not sure what he meant by it, for Sirius was a difficult person to read, and she couldn’t quite figure out whether he was trying to show her that he could do just a good job at cleaning as she was, or if he simply intended the action as a gesture of respect (as miniscule as it seemed). If it was the latter, she could pretty well deduce that Sirius Black was a fickle young man (though, what young men weren’t?). Still, whichever way he meant the gesture, she had noticed it, because she noticed things like that, noticed most things—in fact, she spent much more of her time observing the tendencies of the people around her than she spent thinking about herself.

Sirius was obviously playing off the fact that the note had struck at some mysterious chord within him, and that was okay—Edeva didn’t need to know his secrets, and there was certainly no reason for him to share any thought or feeling with someone like her. She let the subject drop as quickly as it had emerged, and went about cleaning as normally and quietly as she could, making a scolding sort of promise to herself that she would not speak again until he did. Edeva was usually much better at keeping silent, but there was something about Sirius Black that provoked in her an unfounded curiosity, and curiosity was a difficult thing to hide. Still, even as she tossed away papers with her gaze glued to the desk, she couldn’t help but wonder: what had he been doing out so late alone, the night they’d both been caught? What had changed in him since they’d played as children? What worse names had he been called than his own?

Questions were swirling around her mind so fluidly that when Sirius actually asked one aloud, Edeva briefly wondered if she hadn’t simply heard it in her head. She raised her gaze to look at him, as though making sure he had actually spoken and she hadn’t imagined it, and then looked back into the desk before her, searching its dark emptiness for an appropriate response. There was really no use lying about it, for of course Evan had found out about the detention, and of course he hadn’t been happy about it. In fact, they’d had quite the tiff over it, and just thinking back on her brother’s poison words in pen made Edeva’s stomach churn uncomfortably. She knew that in no way, shape, or form was she required to divulge this information to Sirius Black (why was he asking, anyway?), but the feeling of anxiety pressed on her like a block of ice and suddenly, she thought to herself, why not?

Edeva exhaled slowly, and gingerly she put the wooden desktop back down so that it would not drop and emit a horrid clatter. “Evan is furious,” she said finally, and moved to the next desk, lifting the top and peering inside. “He seems to think that we were sneaking around together, and he refuses to believe me when I tell him that it was purely coincidence.” Of course, it hadn’t been purely coincidence if one counted the part where Sirius flew in to save her from the jaws of Argus Filch, but she hadn’t shared that bit with Evan because it was beside the point. “I’ve never been threatened so viciously in my life,” she continued angrily, “let alone by my own brother—I told him he was being daft, but that just…

Suddenly, Edeva stopped, and looked up at Sirius. Why had she just told him all of that? Did she really think that someone like him—someone being forced into serving detention with her because he’d made the mistake of trying out kindness on a Slytherin—would want to hear about her family drama? What on earth was wrong with her? She quickly bowed her head and shot air into the desk, her dark hair sliding out from behind her ears. “I...” There wasn’t much of a way to divert attention from the fact that she’d just rambled uselessly at him for thirty seconds, and she had no idea how to finish what she had started. “I told him you had nothing to do with it,” she ended rather lamely.

785   emily/sirius!   notes: mmmm.
THANKS EMILY @ ATF.

sirius o. black
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 01:30 AM

EMILY
Group Icon

• words: 781
  • notes: where are yooou
Sirius hardly ever thought of Evan Rosier now, which was strange considering that they used to be such good friends when they were kids. It was weird hearing about him now, and even the smallest detail about his old friend took him back to when they were young and had known each other better. It seemed like the brother and sister dynamic between Evan and Edeva had not changed much since the last time he'd seen them together all those years ago. Evan was much more protective of Edeva than Sirius was over his younger sibling, which was probably for several reasons, including the fact that he assumed having a younger sister must be very different than having a younger brother and the fact that he barely even could stand to look at his brother. Come to think of it, though, since Edeva was such good buddies with Sirius's brother still, he realized he could have asked her what his brother had thought about their shared detention. Then again, he really didn't want to think about his brother at all, didn't want to be reminded that by being here with Edeva now he was more closely connected to his younger sibling than he had been in some time. Hearing about Evan was enough of a reminder of his childhood. It made him feel uneasy, and he frowned as Edeva explained to him exactly how her brother felt about this whole mess.

In spite of all of this, however, and perhaps against his better judgment, he was enjoying listening to her talked. Honestly, he was amazed that she had so much to say. From what he remembered of Edeva as a kid, she was very quiet, and their run-in the other night made him think that she was still that quiet, secretive girl. Now, though, she seemed more than willing to talk, and even though she was talking about Evan, who Sirius loathed and who seemed to hate him just as much, at least she seemed annoyed with him, which was something he could understand. Maybe this was one thing they had in common, at least. He realized then that he'd stopped working on the desks altogether to listen to her speak. He hadn't caught himself until she stopped talking, and then he quickly turned his head back towards the contents of the next filthy desk.

"Well good," he said, still mindful of keeping his eyes off of her. "Because I didn't have anything to do with it." He dug through the desk trying to throw out its contents as quickly as possible without even looking through them. "Although what Evan Rosier thinks of me makes no difference. If he wants to believe I'm corrupting his precious little sister, that's no problem of mine." As he said this, he shoved more garbage from the desks into the bag, accentuating his words. He could be throwing away valuable bits of parchment and things, but he didn't really care. Maybe it was just better that they got all of this work done as quickly as they possibly could and without talking to each other unnecessarily. If he kept talking to her, he worried that he might begin to talk about things he didn't want her to share with Regulus or with Evan. Or even worse, if he kept talking to her, she might convince him that she was someone that was worth talking to, that she was someone he could possibly like, someone who was actually a decent human being. Was that even possible for a Rosier?

"How do these desks get so filthy anyway?" Sirius grumbled, not particularly directing this question towards Edeva, although he knew he was speaking loud enough for her to hear. He supposed it was going to be difficult not to have any sort of conversation with her while they worked, and it would help the time pass at least. "Don't the house elves clean up these classrooms at night?" He didn't really know if that was true or not. Actually, for someone who had lived in this castle for over six years, he knew shockingly little about the inner workings of the school. At his home, they had a house elf to clean up after them and take care of all of their cooking, and he knew at Hogwarts, the house elves were the ones who cooked all their meals too, so he assumed they had to clean up in the classrooms as well. Or maybe this was part of Filch's duties? If so, Filch had no business wandering the hallways looking for students who were out after hours when he himself was shirking on his own responsibilities.

edeva o. rosier
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 05:07 PM

KELLI
Group Icon

all this weight
It was sort of silly the way both Edeva and Sirius so adamantly and equally averted their gazes from one another, as if meeting eyes would be setting off a bomb, as if a casual exchange of glances would signify the end of the world. They were stuck in the same classroom whether they liked it or not, and refusing to look at each other would make no difference in their bizarre fate—in fact, it was probably only going to make the situation even more uncomfortable than it already was. Perhaps this shared avoidance technique had less to do with the given circumstances and more to do with the fact that the both of them were—quite simply—teenagers, but it was hard to say for sure. Either way, the more Edeva noticed the tenseness in Sirius’ frame and the deliberate downward slant of his gaze, the more inclined she felt to step further away from him and keep her thoughts to herself. She assumed that was what he wanted anyway, but it was hard to know what exactly he expected out of her when he seemed so desperate to distance himself yet kept on speaking to her regardless.

Edeva frowned at Sirius’ comment regarding Evan, and as she tossed a few more notes into her trash bag she wondered if it was even worth explaining to Sirius that even did not exactly think of her as precious. The truth was that Evan didn’t care one way or another what happened to her, as long as she didn’t bring any shame to the name of their family. To tell Sirius that association with a blood traitor like him equaled disgrace in the eyes of her brother and parents wouldn’t offend him in the least, but Edeva still didn’t feel like it would be an appropriate thing to say. Instead, she sighed a little and closed the desk, moving to the right as Sirius moved to the left to hollow the space between them. “Well, I’d have your wand at the ready if he ever approaches you,” she advised softly, tracing invisible lines on the top of the school desk with her fingertips. “My brother won’t just bark. He’ll bite, too.” She raised her eyes briefly and looked to Sirius, catching his gaze. “Which is not to say that I don’t trust in your ability… but I would be weary, if I were you.

The silence that fell over them then was not necessarily bad, but it certainly made things a lot more boring than they’d been when the two had been on the verge of actual conversation. It was difficult, getting that close to crossing the line and then falling backwards; it was like a rubber band about to be snapped but then eased back into place without release. Edeva supposed it was for the better that she and Sirius kept from too intimate of a discussion—it was dangerous to simply associate with the boy, and to be close to him was literally unfathomable for her—but she still couldn’t help but wonder what thoughts were forming behind that furrowed brow of his. It wasn’t likely that she would ever find out.

She had not expected him to speak again, and his question surprised her, so she glanced up, unsure if he wanted her to answer the inquiry of if he was just speaking for the sake of filling up the silence. “I’m not sure,I think they spend most of their time cooking.” Edeva herself had never been to the kitchens, nor did she much desire to; the thought of hundreds of little elves running around preparing meals to fulfill requirements that offered them nothing in return made her feel a little bit sick to her stomach. “We never had a house elf,” she offered before sending some air into one of the desks with her wand. “My mother has a phobia of what she calls ‘small, dirty creatures.’” Edeva scoffed slightly but didn’t look up at Sirius. Had she said too much again? Was she being too talkative, too personal? For someone so quiet, she sure seemed to be doing a poor job of keeping her mouth shut.

702   emily/sirius!   notes: here i am
THANKS EMILY @ ATF.

sirius o. black
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 12:54 AM

EMILY
Group Icon

• words: 745
  • notes: ilu & i'll do better next time
It was cute that Edeva felt the need to warn Sirius about her brother. Sirius wasn't afraid of Evan at all. He could still remember that time when they were playing outside together when they were very young and Evan had tripped and falling and ran off crying to his mum about it. Of course, Evan was all grown up now and was probably just as capable of a wizard as Sirius himself was, but Sirius couldn't bring himself to watch out for a wizard that he so vividly remembered sobbing in his mother's arms. "I'm not too worried about your brother," Sirius assured Edeva, not making eye contact with her as he continued to dig through the desk in front of him. "I'm sure I can bark and bite just as well as he can." He did not add "if not better," even though he was thinking it to himself, somewhat amused.

As the silence fell between them, Sirius worked more quickly, and since he had never really intended on talking to her in the first place, this fast work in complete silence should have suited him well. However, he soon found he couldn't let the silence between them stand for a moment longer; he wasn't sure why he'd spoken up again, but the words came out. Edeva seemed just as surprised to hear him speak again as Sirius himself was.

He didn't know why he'd brought up the topic of house elves, of all things. Sirius's family had always had a house elf, and he was a nasty little bugger. Most of the time, Sirius tried to pretend that Kreacher didn't even exist, that somehow all of the work was being done by some other sort of magic. The disgust, it seemed, was mutual, and the more his parents, especially his mother, began to show disdain for their eldest son the more Kreacher began to grumble nasty little comments about Sirius under his breath. Although Kreacher was bound by his rules as a house elf to follow any orders that any member of the Black family gave him. However, Kreacher was, admittedly, a sharp house elf who paid close attention to what was going on all around him, and he could see that Sirius was slowly becoming less of a welcome member of the household and more of a nuisance. Well, it didn't matter now, anyway, did it? It wasn't as if Sirius was likely to see Kreacher ever again. It was amazing to Sirius how many topics came up that reminded him of home, however. A great deal reminded him of his old home, which was surprising since he'd never really liked that place to begin with.

"Honestly? Never had a house elf?" As much as Sirius despised Kreacher, he really had no clue how his family would have been able to get on without the little beast. Every faction of the Black family had house elves, and Hogwarts was crawling with house elves, and every pureblood house he'd ever been also seemed to come equipped with a house elf or two. He'd never really given it much thought before, but Sirius had sort of just assumed everyone had a house elf. He supposed he'd never seen one at James's house when he'd been there, but he assumed there must've been one hiding out somewhere; house elves did usually prefer to make themselves scarce around company. It made sense to have one around as they were very tidy creatures and made delicious foods, much better than any wizard or witch-made food Sirius had ever eaten. "So who does all of the cleaning and cooking in your house then if an elf isn't there to do it?" Sirius asked, genuinely curious. For the moment, he'd forgotten all about the mess in the desks and he allowed a dusty old piece of parchment fall to his lap as he looked at Edeva, his dark eyes inquisitive. Usually he liked to think of himself as a pretty tough person, able to handle just about anything, and then a piece of information like this would come along. Moments like this, like learning that not every wizarding home had a house elf, were like a smack in the face to Sirius as he was constantly learning new things that only served to show him what a sheltered existence he'd lead growing up. Sometimes he wondered if he truly had what it took to be on his own.

edeva o. rosier
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 08:39 PM

KELLI
Group Icon

all this weight
Now that she thought about it, Edeva realized that her house was probably one of the only Pureblood estates in existence lacking the care of a house elf. The elves seemed a standard in the homes of many wizarding families; she knew this mostly from memories of her childhood, being carted from play date to play date and meeting a wide assortment of squat little servants to do her bidding as long as her mind and blood were pure. In fact, she could almost remember the elf belonging to the Black family, or at least his hooked nose, and from her recollections he had been a rather unpleasant little thing, but Regulus spoke rather highly of him when the subject came up (which, granted, it rarely did). While Edeva knew that her mother’s phobia made their household a bit different than most Pureblood quarters such as the Blacks’, she was also aware that the use of house elves was by no means standard throughout all of the wizarding world; she’d read enough books and done enough spare research to know that there were plenty of witches and wizards who opposed the poor treatment of these creatures and refused to have them playing subservient roles within the home. Edeva had no passionate opinion on the matter one way or the other, but that was apart from the point; the point was that Sirius Black was largely uninformed of the way domestic life worked outside the walls of his privileged home.

It would have been very unattractive to Edeva were Sirius at all smug about his ignorance, but in fact, he was quite the opposite—he was curious. His eyes burned darkly with a yearning to learn, which unfortunately was not a quality she imagined he possessed during any of his classes where it may have come in handy. Still she admired his inquisitiveness, for she found it familiar, and she regarded him with a tilted head, thinking how best to iterate an answer to his question. “Well,” she began slowly, and took a seat in the desk across from his, crossing her legs at the knee, “we’ve always had a maid—you know, like the witch equivalent of a house elf—and I suppose we pay her to clean and cook and all that. Honestly though, if it were up to me, we’d just do it all ourselves.” Edeva knew that this was probably an unpopular opinion amongst most of wizarding society, but it was something she’d thought about several times in the many hours she spent thinking in place of socializing with her peers. “My mother finds cleaning degrading,” she continued, “but I don’t mind it. At least we have magic… there are loads of muggles who wash things with soap and sponges by hand, if you can imagine.

Edeva wondered if she’d bored him to death with that description, or if half her speech he’d already known. As usual, his facial expression did not betray any of his thoughts, and she dropped her gaze to observe the surface of the desk, tracing the tip of her finger along a line someone had carved with their quill. “Anyway, maybe they do usually have elves cleaning these classrooms. This detention is intended more to torture us than it is to benefit the school,” she said with a small smile, glancing up at Sirius. Perhaps Professor Zeller had intended to make them miserable—and there was no doubt that at first his plan had seemed unbeatable—but as the seconds wore on it was becoming more and more clear that in his intentions of torturing the two students with one another’s company, Professor Zeller had, quite frankly, failed.

613   emily/sirius!   notes: shut up and hold me
THANKS EMILY @ ATF.

sirius o. black
Posted: Mar 5 2012, 02:32 PM

EMILY
Group Icon

• words: just be happy i posted
  • notes: meow meow meow
As Edeva continued to talk, Sirius realized this was probably the most she'd ever said to him, which was strange, considering how long they'd known each other. Why she'd chosen now to be talkative after all this time, he couldn't even begin to guess. As she depicted their routine at the Rosier home, Sirius tried to imagine it in his mind, or rather he tried to remember what the Rosier's house had been like the last time he'd visited so many years ago. From what he could remember, the last time he'd set foot in the Rosier's house, he had been thirteen years old. It had been a while since he'd gone to any of his family's pureblood elitist type gatherings with any of their annoying friends, however, and from the recesses of his memory, it was hard to remember the difference between any of the wizarding houses he had frequented at a younger age. He couldn't remember ever seeing a maid at the Rosier's house, but that didn't mean Edeva was lying, of course. More than likely, it meant that Sirius hadn't paid attention, just as he didn't pay attention to most things most of the time. He had probably been too busy thinking about how badly he didn't want to be there to notice any sort of help the Rosiers had wandering the massive hallways in their estate, be it elvin or otherwise.

"If cleaning isn't degrading," Sirius chimed in when it seemed Edeva was finished talking. "Then why have we been given cleaning duties as punishment?" It was all well and good that she claimed she'd have no issue with cleaning her own home, but knowing the way most pureblood witches and wizards were (the way most people were, actually), Sirius highly doubted if Edeva actually had to do any cleaning of her own that she'd take any enjoyment in doing it. It was kind and noble for her to say so, but he doubted her honesty either with him or with herself. She didn't seem to be enjoying cleaning the desks too much, anyway, and he doubted she'd be up here doing it on her own if she hadn't been assigned to do it. Anyway, maids got paid to do this kind of work, and house elves actually enjoyed it because it was in their nature to enjoy such work. He didn't see what was wrong with giving a poorer witch or wizard a nice job in a fancy house or allowing a house elf to do what they were essentially born to do. It wasn't worth arguing with Edeva over this, however, and he didn't know what it was, but he could tell that her intentions were in the right place, even if he didn't agree with her at all.

Maybe Edeva did have a point, however, as it wasn't complete torture cleaning out this desks. He reflected on this when Edeva reminded him that they were here to be punished and not to benefit the school in any way. Sure, there were a lot of disgusting items discarded within the desk; perhaps the most disturbing thing Sirius had found thus far was a group of half-chewed Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, which had most likely been coughed out and thrown in the desk when the owner found that they were unsavory flavors such as bogeys and vomit. Other than that, though, he guessed it hadn't been so bad, and Edeva wasn't nearly as annoying to be around as he had originally assumed she would be. "Are you feeling sufficiently tortured right now?" he joked, returning her smile. Over his time at Hogwarts, Sirius Black had served many a detention, and this one had definitely turned out to be one of the most pleasant ones, much to his surprise.

edeva o. rosier
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 11:53 PM

KELLI
Group Icon

all this weight
Edeva wasn’t sure that Sirius quite got the point of what she was saying, but she supposed it was all for the better; the more they talked about the cleaning and the house elves and whether or not it was normal to clean their own dishes, the more they would inevitably divulge about themselves, and she knew that he was about as eager to share his life story with her as she was hers with him. Even so, Edeva had to admit to herself that she had talked a whole lot more to Sirius Black in the past hour than she’d talked to most people in the last few weeks, and she couldn’t help but wonder why that was. The two of them could have just as easily kept up an awkward silence as they cleaned—and coming into this detention, it was what Edeva had expected she would do—but it had turned out differently, even if the only things they’d discussed involved, directly or indirectly, their punishment. There was no particular reason why the two of them had decided to talk, it had just sort of… happened that way, in the same way that Sirius had come upon her in the hallway and tried to save her from the very fate to which they’d both succumbed. Life was full of these strange things—coincidences—which were, so it seemed, a different sort of magic altogether.

Edeva’s eyes, for the first time that morning, lingered on Sirius’ face as he returned her smile. It was a nice smile, genuine, and she noted the small crinkles that formed at the edges of his eyes with the upturn of his lips. “Tortured, yes,” she answered in a bright voice. “In fact, this may be the worst morning I’ve ever had to live through.” She dropped her gaze and pointed her wand at the desk below her to once again clear the dirt out with a short burst of air, watching as the dust mites rose and fell, tiny and white in the light that filtered in through the classroom’s tall, elegant windows. It was as she stood to move on to the next desk that she realized there wasn’t another one to clean—they had already finished. It didn’t seem possible, for there were about twenty desks in the room and they’d all been packed to the brim with crumpled paper and wads of chewed up candy, but between the two of them they’d managed to complete the job in a little less than two hours. Edeva was staring at the desk she’d just finished, trying to comprehend the feeling that had latched itself between her shoulders; she supposed it must have been disappointment, though it seemed awfully out of place.

Lowering her wand, Edeva looked back up to Sirius, who looked just as surprised at this unexpectedly early completion of the morning they’d both been dreading all week. Vaguely, she wondered when she would speak to him next, or if they would speak again at all. It hardly seemed to matter in what her mother liked to call The Grand Scheme of Things, and yet, the thought of their chance encounter and its consequences coming to an end gave her that unpleasant little itch of disappointment. She began to gather the garbage bags they’d filled, tying them up at the ends with quick, precise little knots in the plastic, and then used her wand to float them out the door. The two students followed, and as the door to the classroom swung shut behind them, Edeva watched the trash bags glide down the hallway on their way to wherever it was trash bags at Hogwarts went.

Thanks again, for… trying to help me, when you did,” Edeva said, looking up at Sirius. “I know it just put you worse off, but it was still good of you.” She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, and after a moment’s silence gave him a little smile. “See you, then,” she murmured, and then turned, heading towards the staircases and trying her hardest not to look back at him.

686   emily/sirius!   notes: <3
THANKS EMILY @ ATF.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Quick Reply

sidebar by hafsa/fantome at atf.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5706 seconds | Archive

LOVIN' TOUCHIN' SQUEEZIN' skinned by pineapple express ☮ of caution 2.0!