Welcome to the July 7th People's Independent Inquiry Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Group: J7 Forum Team
Member No.: 18
Joined: 24-January 06
This from the Times
Police specialist on secrets charge
May 17th 2007
A member of the Metropolitan Police staff has been charged with misconduct and breaching the Official Secrets Act, Scotland Yard said. Thomas Lund-Lack, 59, was charged by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command in connection with disclosures of information to a reporter. He will appear at City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court today.
The first charge relates to “wilful misconduct in a judicial or public office” by allegedly disclosing secret documents to a Sunday Times journalist, knowing that the information would be published. In the second charge, Mr Lund-Lack, a specialist working on counter terrorism, is accused of unlawful disclosure contrary to the Official Secrets Act 1989. Police confirmed that the leaked intelligence was the basis for a Sunday Times article published on April 22.
A member of Metropolitan Police staff has appeared in court charged with breaching the Official Secrets Act in relation to a counter-terrorism report. It is alleged Thomas Lund-Lack, 59, based at New Scotland Yard, disclosed a document to a Sunday Times journalist.
An article in the paper in April said Iraq-based al-Qaeda leaders were planning UK terror attacks.
Mr Lund-Lack, who is also charged with misconduct, was remanded in custody by City of Westminster Magistrates' Court.
His next court appearance will be at the Old Bailey on 1 June.
Scotland Yard has confirmed that Mr Lund-Lack worked in the Met's counter-terrorism unit.
According to the charge, he "did without lawful authority make a damaging disclosure of information relating to security or intelligence, namely a Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre document".
The other charge relates to "wilful misconduct in a judicial or public office" and alleges he disclosed secret documents to a Sunday Times journalist, knowing the information would be published.
Why would someone be charged under the OSA for warning the public against terrorist attacks, else if such terror attacks were not really terror attacks, rather part of an orchestrated campaign.
A copy of the Sunday Times 22nd April 2007 article:
From The Sunday TimesApril 22, 2007 Al-Qaeda ‘planning big British attack’Dipesh Gadher
AL-QAEDA leaders in Iraq are planning the first “large-scale” terrorist attacks on Britain and other western targets with the help of supporters in Iran, according to a leaked intelligence report.
Spy chiefs warn that one operative had said he was planning an attack on “a par with Hiroshima and Nagasaki” in an attempt to “shake the Roman throne”, a reference to the West.
Another plot could be timed to coincide with Tony Blair stepping down as prime minister, an event described by Al-Qaeda planners as a “change in the head of the company”.
The report, produced earlier this month and seen by The Sunday Times, appears to provide evidence that Al-Qaeda is active in Iran and has ambitions far beyond the improvised attacks it has been waging against British and American soldiers in Iraq.
There is no evidence of a formal relationship between Al-Qaeda, a Sunni group, and the Shi’ite regime of President Mah-moud Ahmadinejad, but experts suggest that Iran’s leaders may be turning a blind eye to the terrorist organisation’s activities.
The intelligence report also makes it clear that senior Al-Qaeda figures in the region have been in recent contact with operatives in Britain.
It follows revelations last year that up to 150 Britons had travelled to Iraq to fight as part of Al-Qaeda’s “foreign legion”. A number are thought to have returned to the UK, after receiving terrorist training, to form sleeper cells.
The report was compiled by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) - based at MI5’s London headquarters - and provides a quarterly review of the international terror threat to Britain. It draws a distinction between Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda’s core leadership, who are thought to be hiding on the Afghan-Pakistan border, and affiliated organisations elsewhere.
The document states: “While networks linked to AQ [Al-Qaeda] Core pose the greatest threat to the UK, the intelligence during this quarter has highlighted the potential threat from other areas, particularly AQI [Al-Qaeda in Iraq].”
The report continues: “Recent reporting has described AQI’s Kurdish network in Iran planning what we believe may be a large-scale attack against a western target.
“A member of this network is reportedly involved in an operation which he believes requires AQ Core authorisation. He claims the operation will be on ‘a par with Hiroshima and Naga-saki’ and will ‘shake the Roman throne’. We assess that this operation is most likely to be a large-scale, mass casualty attack against the West.”
The report says there is “no indication” this attack would specifically target Britain, “although we are aware that AQI . . . networks are active in the UK”.
Analysts believe the reference to Hiroshima and Naga-saki, where more than 200,000 people died in nuclear attacks on Japan at the end of the second world war, is unlikely to be a literal boast.
“It could be just a reference to a huge explosion,” said a counter-terrorist source. “They [Al-Qaeda] have got to do something soon that is radical otherwise they start losing credibility.”
Despite aspiring to a nuclear capability, Al-Qaeda is not thought to have acquired weapons grade material. However, several plots involving “dirty bombs” - conventional explosive devices surrounded by radioactive material - have been foiled.
Last year Al-Qaeda’s leader in Iraq called on nuclear scientists to apply their knowledge of biological and radiological weapons to “the field of jihad”.
Details of a separate plot to attack Britain, “ideally” before Blair steps down this summer, were contained in a letter written by Abdul al-Hadi al-Iraqi, an Iraqi Kurd and senior Al-Qaeda commander.
According to the JTAC document, Hadi “stressed the need to take care to ensure that the attack was successful and on a large scale”. The plan was to be relayed to an Iran-based Al-Qaeda facilitator.
Group: J7 Forum Team
Member No.: 18
Joined: 24-January 06
This, from Salam
On 17th May 2007 there were several media reports on charges being pressed on one Tom (Thomas) Lund-Lack, a civilian counter-terrorism specialist at Metropolitan Police. The Register for example noted "he is claimed to have passed an intelligence report claiming that Al Qaeda was planning a UK attack on 'a par with Hiroshima and Nagasaki' to the Sunday Times". The Sunday Times did publish an item by Dipesh Gadher with the title 'Al-Qaeda planning big British attack’ on 22nd April 2007, which contained the suggesion that the report was compiled by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC). Lund-Lack has been charged with breaching the Official Secrets Act.
Mr Lund-Lack was a speaker at the recent Hindu Security Conference 2007 organised by the Hindu Forum of Britain, the National Hindu Students Forum and the Metropolitan Police, where he was presented as an expert on Islamist Terrorism who would describe the "vital differences between terrorist groups like the Provisional IRA and al-Qaeda". The New Statesman has also documented Lund-Lack's presentation at Imperial College in March 2007, noting that it was "surprisingly detailed presentation, rushing the audience through from the 8th century - the golden age of Islam, with the expansion of the caliphate from Baghdad to Spain - to the present day". It quoted him saying ""We don't see ourselves as an oppressive body of people, but that's how the IRA saw us and that's how Islamist terrorists see us," he said....Iraq is the biggest terrorist recruitment officer there is, and all the tactics learned in Iraq will soon make their way over to this country," Lund-Lack said.
The question now being raised is why would a career officer in Special Branch approaching retirement (Lund-Luck is 59) jeopardise his career? Interestingly the journalist breaking the Sunday Times story, Dipesh Gadher (formerly with Eastern Eye) has been previously favoured with alarmist tit-bits: writing in the Sunday Times on 30th July 2006, he attempted a hatchet job on Mockbul Ali, noting "leaked documents show that since joining the Foreign Office Ali has argued for Qaradawi to be allowed into Britain". Without seeking to pursue the facts, journalists were able to press British neo-con Michael Gove MP for a hasty comment: "his [Ali's] influence in the Foreign Office gives rise to serious questions”.
On 4th March 2001, the same journalist Dipesh Gadher published a story with the headline 'MI5 locates Ben Laden's London base'.
Is there a clique bent on demonising and marginalising Muslims in Britain? Who benefits by exaggerations of the terrorist threat?
Group: J7 Forum Team
Member No.: 18
Joined: 24-January 06
May 25, 2007 - LUND-LACK: TERRORISM EXPERT BAILED ON LEAKING CHARGES
A senior terrorism expert at the Metropolitan Police charged with leaking a highly sensitive report to a newspaper was granted bail today. (fri) Thomas Lund-Lack, 59, is accused of passing the document to a Sunday Times reporter which warned of an attack 'on a par with Hiroshima' was being planned by leaders Al-Qaeda's in Iraq.
Police terror expert charged over Sunday Times leak 17 May 2007
By PA Mediapoint
A Metropolitan Police staff member has appeared in court charged with misconduct and breaching the Official Secrets Act.
Thomas Lund-Lack, 59, has been charged by the Met's Counter Terrorism Command in connection with disclosures of information to a reporter, Scotland Yard said.
Lund-Lack, who appeared at the City of Westminster Magistrates Court, worked in the Met's Specialist Operations, in the Counter-Terrorism Command.
He has been described as "an expert on Islamist terrorism at the Met" by the Press Trust of India.
Lund-Lack is charged with "wilful misconduct in a judicial or public office", by disclosing secret documents to a Sunday Times journalist, knowing that the information from the document would be published.
The second charge relates to unlawful disclosure contrary to the Official Secrets Act 1989.
According to the charge, he "did without lawful authority make a damaging disclosure of information relating to security or intelligence, namely a Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) document", which had been in his possession by virtue of his position.
Police confirmed the leaked intelligence report in question was the basis for a Sunday Times article published on 22 April, which said al Qaida leaders in Iraq were planning the first "large-scale" terrorist attacks on Britain and other western targets with the help of supporters in Iran.
According to the Sunday Times article, the JTAC report warned that one operative said he was planning an attack on "a par with Hiroshima and Nagasaki".
"While networks linked to AQ (al Qaida) Core pose the greatest threat to the UK, the intelligence during this quarter has highlighted the potential threat from other areas, particularly AQ-I (al Qaida in Iraq)," the newspaper quoted the report as saying.
The quote continued: "Recent reporting has described AQ-I's Kurdish network in Iran planning what we believe may be a large-scale attack against a western target."
District Judge Caroline Tubbs remanded Lund-Lack in custody to reappear at the Old Bailey on 1 June .
Group: J7 Forum Team
Member No.: 235
Joined: 6-November 06
Will this leaked report be used as an excuse to say that an ongoing investigation was disrupted in the event of another terrorist attack -- just like the disclosure of Naeem Noor Khan's arrest is said to have prevented possible links to the J7 bombers being investigated? Furthermore, will any forthcoming investigation over the leaks in the army personnel kidnap plot diversify into tackling questions about the disclosure of the ABC J7 pictures and the ip restrictive New York Times article on the airline terror plot with a view to putting more restrictive measures on the internet, news reporting and police sources?
A civilian police employee has admitted misconduct in a public office by leaking an intelligence report on terrorism to a newspaper.
Thomas Lund-Lack, 59, was working in Scotland Yard's Special Operations section in the Counter Terrorism Command when he disclosed documents to a journalist.
On Monday he admitted misconduct in public office when he appeared at the Old Bailey.
The leaked report formed the basis for a Sunday Times article published on April 22. It warned that al Qaida leaders in Iraq, backed by supporters in Iran, were planning large-scale attacks on Britain and the West, according to the paper.
One operative was said to have warned that he was planning an attack "on a par with Hiroshima and Nagasaki" in an attempt to "shake the Roman throne", a reference to the West.
Another feared plot could be timed to coincide with the stepping down of Prime Minister Tony Blair, or what al Qaida planners called a "change in the head of the company", according to the newspaper.
The intelligence report was produced in April and made clear that senior figures from the terror network had been in recent contact with operatives in Britain, the Sunday Times said.
It was said to have been a quarterly review of the international terror threat to Britain, compiled by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC).
The review reportedly said that while the "core" leadership of al Qaida around Osama bin Laden provided the greatest danger, recent intelligence had highlighted the potential threat from other areas, particularly al Qaida in Iraq (AQ-I).
Lund-Lack, of Bury Street, Stowmarket, Suffolk, was bailed and sentencing was adjourned until the end of July. But the judge, Mr Justice Gross, told him: "One shouldn't for a moment assume that I regard this as anything other than a very serious case indeed."
Group: J7 Forum Team
Member No.: 18
Joined: 24-January 06
Guilty plea in Met leak case
Andrew Hough Monday June 18, 2007 MediaGuardian.co.uk
A Scotland Yard staff member has today pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to "wilful misconduct in a judicial or public office" for leaking secret documents to the Sunday Times.
Thomas Lund-Lack, 59, who worked for the Metropolitan police's specialist operations in the counter terrorism command, was charged last month with breaching the Official Secrets Act by leaking documents to the paper with the intention of having them published.
However, Mr Lund-Lack denied a second charge, which related to "unlawful disclosure" breaching the Official Secrets Act 1989. The court heard today that the charge was to likely "lie on the file".
Mr Lund-Lack told the court he leaked a top secret document detailing terrorism fears because he was "annoyed" by his workplace.
He gave the highly confidential Joint Terrorism Analysis report to the Sunday Times to "bring out the problems that he believed he had seen", the Old Bailey heard.
Suffering from post traumatic stress and overcome with the responsibility for looking after his anorexic daughter, he leaked the "sensitive and very secretive" report to the paper.
The court heard the "stoical" man was now "inflicted with shame" for his "error of judgment" that had blighted an unblemished career with the Met.
Mr Lund-Lack was warned he was facing a jail term after the judge, Mr Justice Gross, described the case - which had been investigated by 40 police officers - as "very, very sad, but potentially serious". The maximum sentence for such an offence, the court heard, was life behind bars.
While none of the case's facts were presented to the court today, the hearing came about after an article published in the Sunday Times on April 22 claimed that Iraq-based al-Qaida leaders were planning terror attacks in the UK.
In summarising the case, Mr Justice Gross, said: "This is a man who was annoyed with [how his work] was being run and did what he could, he says... to bring out the problems he believed he had seen."
Edward Henry, defending Mr Lund-Lack, agreed with that statement. Mr Henry told the court that his client accepted that it was an "error of judgment" and he was "bewildered" why he had done it.
"To say that he is inflicted with shame is an understatement and he is full of regret," he added.
Mr Henry said Mr Lund-Lack was a carer for his daughter, who, the court heard, was suffering from "life threatening" anorexia and bulimia.
The court heard that Mr Lund-Lack was also suffering from post traumatic stress after years of working in the Met.
Scotland Yard previously confirmed that he worked in the Met's counter terrorism unit in a "civilian post" but not as a police officer.
The judge adjourned sentence for reports. He also granted a defence application to prepare a psychiatric report dealing with Mr Lund-Lack's mental problems.
Mr Lund-Lack was granted bail and is due to be sentenced next month.
Mr Justice Gross told the court: "[Despite] the fact that there is bail and [pre-sentence] reports, he should not for a moment assume that I regard this other than a very serious matter.
"Obviously all the sentencing options are open, including custody. This is a very serious case."
Is the Iraq-based al-Qaida terror attack a pointer towards the recent 'car-bomb incidents' in London & Glasgow.
Consider why 40 police officers should be investigating such a case if it was a genuine leak of 'intelligence'. It seems that Thomas Lund-Lack was pissed off with what was going on in his workplace & chose to release the important information as a warning to the public through a leak.
Did Thomas Lund-Lack compromise an official state security connected operation (i.e. the current apparently Iraq/al-Qaida connected 'car-bomb incidents'?) for which the state now deems him chargeable under the Official Secrets Act?
LONDON: A counterterrorism official was sentenced Friday to eight months in prison for leaking an intelligence report about a possible terrorist attack to a British newspaper.
Thomas Lund-Lack, 59, was a civilian employee of Scotland Yard's counterterrorism section when he disclosed the contents of a secret intelligence report.
The report formed the basis of a Sunday Times article published on April 22, which warned that al-Qaida leaders in Iraq were planning mass-casualty strikes against the West, with one operative plotting an attack "on a par with Hiroshima and Nagasaki."
Lund-Lack had admitted misconduct in a public office. His lawyer said he regretted his action.
Passing sentence at Kingston Crown Court, judge Peter Gross said he was sending Lund-Lack to jail "with no little sadness but equally no hesitation."
"Mr. Lund-Lack will understand the need, as anyone in court will understand, that to protect your free society it is essential that some intelligence must be kept secret," the judge said. "Secrets must be kept and they cannot be kept if an insider breaks his bond of secrecy."
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)