View Full Version: Second Controlled Explosions

July 7th People's Independent Inquiry Forum > J7 Information, Research & Analysis > Second Controlled Explosions

Title: Second Controlled Explosions
Description: Edgware Road and Tavistock Square

stilez - June 4, 2006 08:49 PM (GMT)
Sorry if I'm repeating known facts theories and facts here (just registered so testing the water), but I just read the mysterious testimony of the controlled 2nd blast on the bus and thought that it must surely be backed up by this picture...
(ie the van in the foreground)
again, sorry if this has already been noticed...

The Antagonist - June 4, 2006 09:04 PM (GMT)
Hi stilez,

This is an interesting one. There is the account of BMJ worker, Richmal Marie Oates-Whitehead, who reported assisting in the aftermath of the blast and being asked to stand aside while a second controlled explosion took place. Reports of a second controlled explosion were denied by Scotland Yard. Months later appear stories from local police, reported only in local newspapers, of a 'microwave box' that was found on the lower deck of the bus as they were rescuing the injured. These reports from police and firefighters that attended the incident all claim that the bomb squad was called and that a controlled explosion took place in Tavistock Square.

This all seems to make sense, except Richmal Marie Oates-Whitehead was found dead in her flat some weeks later, in apparently unsuspicious circumstances, her death apparently caused by an ailment the prevention of which was her speciality. There was no inquest into Ms Oates-Whitehead's death, she was billed as the '53rd victim' of July 7th and Wikipedia, for a time at least, listed her as a fraudster.

She may have been lying but are the local bobbies reported months after the incidents also to be considered fabulists and fraudsters? And, if not, then this controlled explosion at Tavistock Square would bring the number of original blast locations at which a controlled explosion was conducted to two, the other being at Edgware Road as reported by Sky News on the day.

There is more information about the bus in this thread here.

Bridget - November 24, 2006 05:02 PM (GMT)
I realise that this information is scattered across several areas of the forum and would like to compile/add this info here.

We now know that there was a second controlled explosion on the bus:

When I took over, I was told that there were eight priority 1, six priority 2, and seven priority 3 patients. I request that everyone be moved into the courtyard: some victims are within 15 yards of the bus, and we still don't know whether there is a secondary device waiting to explode. I move to the gate to see whether there are more casualties to be brought in, but the police send me back inside until a controlled explosion has taken place.

This from the BMA doctor in charge of the emeregency operation.

Not to go off on a tangent but realising that there is a rear entrance to the BMA courtyard where ambulances can load the injured is something I don't remember seeing before.

I ask someone to open the rear entrance and to arrange a one-way system around the courtyard so that ambulances can load and depart

Map of the BMA anyone showing this rear entrance?

The Antagonist - November 24, 2006 05:10 PM (GMT)
We also know that there were controlled explosions conducted at Edgware Road. Here's a CNN news report of controlled explosions at Edgware Road that were, interestingly, 'hampering the operation to collect evidence from the scene'. ITV's Dan Rivers - who also brought us a bit more of the truth about the extra-judicial execution of Jean Charles de Menezes - reported multiple controlled explosions being conducted by the police.

So, from the get-go, we know that two of four locations had controlled explosions carried out by the police or bomb squad after the initial incidents had occurred. Quite how these controlled explosions would have affected/damaged/destroyed the scenes at the sites of the original incidents is unknown.

The Antagonist - November 24, 2006 05:24 PM (GMT)
QUOTE (Bridget @ Nov 24 2006, 05:02 PM)
Map of the BMA anyone showing this rear entrance?

Yup! Right here, courtesy of Google Maps. The BMA building is the one with the large courtyard/fountain and you can see access points at the back and sides of the building. The former British Transport Police headquarters (it was the HQ at the time of the 7 July 2005) are just on Tavistock Place, the road that runs along the bottom of the map linked to above. Both King's Cross and Russell Square stations are within a short distance of both the BMA and the BTP.

Bridget - November 24, 2006 07:29 PM (GMT)
I need to find the sources for these statements:
At approximately 10:50 BST reports were made that there was an additional, as yet unidentified explosion along Houndsditch, near Liverpool Street Station. Police were also warning pedestrians at Russell Square that a series of controlled explosions would be made shortly.

Bridget - November 24, 2006 07:39 PM (GMT)
One senior US intelligence official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said British officials had found some suspicious items after the blasts, including one that they detonated in a controlled explosion.
But there was no indication of what the items were.

Bridget - November 24, 2006 08:24 PM (GMT)
Police denied that they had recovered any unexploded devices. But a source told The Guardian that three controlled explosions had been carried out on "suspect devices".

Furthermore Vincent Cannistraro, the former head of the CIA's counter-terrorism centre, told The Guardian that "two unexploded bombs" were recovered as well as "mechanical timing devices".

numeral - November 24, 2006 10:15 PM (GMT)
QUOTE (Bridget @ Nov 24 2006, 07:29 PM)
I need to find the sources for these statements:
At approximately 10:50 BST reports were made that there was an additional, as yet unidentified explosion along Houndsditch, near Liverpool Street Station. Police were also warning pedestrians at Russell Square that a series of controlled explosions would be made shortly.

Dr. Diane Keith works for City Medical with premises in St Helens Place off Bishopsgate.
After the bus drove the injured to hospital at Whitechapel, Dr Keith and her practice manager started to make their way back to their practice.
She said: “We were walking down the corner of the road when this policeman said, ‘get down, get down there’s another bomb’.
“We were lying on the ground. I said: ‘I’ve got to get back to the practice, I’ll take my chances’.”
Houndsditch is on the way back from Aldgate to Bishopsgate

Bridget - July 3, 2007 11:32 PM (GMT)

What is a controlled explosion?

Emine Saner
Wednesday July 4, 2007
The Guardian

With the current terror threat level at "critical", suspect packages are keeping bomb disposal experts busy. Yesterday, a controlled explosion was carried out on a car outside a mosque in Glasgow, and a package was disposed of in west London. On Monday, a controlled explosion was carried out on a car in the grounds of the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley, where one of the suspects in the attempts to bomb London and Glasgow had worked. But what does a "controlled explosion" mean?

"Controlled explosion" is a misleading term, according to one former bomb disposal expert, who refuses to be named. It was coined when, in Northern Ireland, controlled explosions were actual explosions. "These days, the term bomb disposal units use is 'disruption' - trying to make sure the device can't function as it was intended to," he says. The most common method is to fire a "slug" of water (about a mugful) into the suspect package from a device similar to a shotgun. "The skill comes in identifying the relevant components and getting access to them."

The water, fired at high velocity, will blow the bomb's components - wires, circuitry, detonating mechanism - apart from within, without setting it off. "The water preserves forensic evidence as much as possible, unlike a high explosive, which will just blow it to bits." The procedure can be carried out by remote-controlled robots, called "wheelbarrows", which are also fitted with cameras, and can be operated from 100 metres away.

It is not just terrorists' improvised explosive devices that need to be disposed of. There are still hundreds of unexploded bombs from the second world war. To disarm these, a rocket wrench defusing device is placed on the nose of the bomb. It spins in the manner of a Catherine wheel firework, and screws the fuse out of the bomb.

Kier - September 27, 2007 07:51 PM (GMT)
A few hours after the bombings, Home Secretary Charles Clarke told the House of Commons that four blasts had been confirmed; three explosions took place on the London Underground in central London and one on a double-decker bus during London's rush hour.
Two more suspicious packages were found on underground trains and were destroyed using controlled explosions. Police later said they were not bombs.

Apparently, there were 'controlled explosions' all over the country that day:

Cabinet Office Briefing Room A was activated within minutes of the first reports of explosions, and remained open round the clock for over a week.

Security alerts were reported at Brighton, Luton, Birmingham and Swindon as well as other locations. In Brighton there was a controlled explosion of a suspicious briefcase at approximately 12:55 in a telephone box outside Brighton station. The briefcase was later found to be harmless, and the station was re-opened. In Birmingham, on the evening of 9 July, the city centre was evacuated by police and a package on a bus was detonated. East Croydon station was closed due to a suspect package, but was later re-opened. There were reports of Victoria Station being cordoned off by police amid reports of a ‘suspicious package’ on a bus near the station.

There were reports of a controlled explosion at Coventry bus station, as well as two controlled explosions carried out on a Lothian Buses double-decker on Princes Street in the centre of Edinburgh at around 17:30; neither contained explosives .

In Poole, the train station was also closed in response to the discovery of a suspicious package. The package was later detonated by Police in a controlled explosion. In Cardiff, the train and bus stations were closed after a security alert. There were bomb scares in Sheffield City Centre, and in Nottingham City Centre, with Market Square being sealed off at 22:00.

In Portsmouth the Portsmouth Harbour train station and the nearby Hard bus interchange were closed for a few hours following a hoax bomb threat. Ian Tebbut was subsequently jailed for 6 months.

The London Underground was closed in the hours following the attacks, and did not re-open until July 8, with a reduced service. The Circle Line, and the Piccadilly Line between Hyde Park Corner and Holloway Road remained closed. Several other lines remain disrupted in the areas affected. Security alerts were also causing disruption.

The entire London Bus system was suspended during July 7, with all buses sent back to depot for security checks. Eventually services outside Zone 1 in Central London returned to operations, and a reduced Zone 1 service operated in the evening of June 7. Services returned to normal on July 8, except through affected areas.

All major Network Rail stations in London closed on the morning of July 7, re-opening in late afternoon. King's Cross Station remained closed until July 8. Most national train services terminated outside London, with GNER trains stopping at Peterborough and Virgin Trains stopping at Watford.

The London Ambulance Service reports that they would "only be sending ambulances to patients across the capital with life-threatening illnesses or injuries".

The Metropolitan Police Service urged people not to enter London, and to limit their usage of public transport.

Schools in the capital did not close on July 7, as police thought it safer for children to remain in classes. On July 8, most schools in Central London were closed due to transport difficulties.
In London, security responses saw major buildings such as the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace and the US Embassy sealed off. Most landmarks such as the London Eye and Westminster Abbey were closed. All theatre productions in the West End were cancelled, as were several concerts. The Bank of England commenced financial continuity plans, to keep the financial system operational. Security alerts in various parts of the city, often in response to reports of abandoned baggage or other suspicious packages, remain frequent.

Outside London, security at transport links and systems was increased. Several security alerts were reported in Brighton and Edinburgh. At the G8 summit in Gleneagles, armed police patrolled the surrounding villages, and over 1,000 Metropolitan Police officers were re-deployed back to London.

On Saturday 9th July 20,000 people were evacuated from the centre of Birmingham while police carried out four controlled explosions .

Kier - September 27, 2007 08:00 PM (GMT)
I was curious about reports of an explosion at Leicester Square on 7/705 which appear to have originated with the LAS, as mentioned on a post I put on the bus explosion thread. Here is another mention of it:

I contacted the office and they asked me to check out Kings Cross station. By now, we knew that there were at least four explosions; three on the tube, and one on a bus.

As I made my way there, a friend contacted me saying that he had heard that someone had been evacuated from Leicester Square tube following another explosion. On arrival I encountered no cars, buses, or people. There hadn't been another terrorist blast. Later I heard that the event had been a controlled explosion of a suspect package by the Army.

Kier - September 27, 2007 08:51 PM (GMT)
Despite reports such as this......

12.16pm: Emergency services are called to Leicester Square Underground station, the Ambulance service says.

And this

Police said explosions were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square, near the British Museum. Woodrow*, the ambulance official, said emergency services had also been sent to Moorgate and Leicester Square subway stations.

* Woodrow = Paul Woodrow, Ambulance Operations Manager for the LAS.

I just checked the LAS site and their press release for 7th July 2005 states:

07 July 2005 - 14:00 hrs
Response to explosions in London today

We were called at 08.51 this morning (Thursday 7 July) to reports of an incident at Liverpool Street Station.

Since the original call, we have dispatched numerous London Ambulance Service resources to reports of explosions in the following locations:

Aldgate Underground Station

    * Liverpool Street Station
    * Kings Cross Underground Station
    * Russell Square Underground Station
    * Edgware Road Underground Station
    * Tavistock Place
    * Moorgate Underground Station

We can confirm we have not been called to an incident at Leicester Square or Wembley Stadium.


Guardian: 12:12 - There are now reports of an explosion in Leicester Square.
posted by anagrama at 4:13 AM on July 7

I'm in Leicester Square. No explosion.
posted by Cobbler at 4:15 AM on July 7

Kier - September 27, 2007 09:26 PM (GMT)
Confusion from Fox News:

user posted image
12:16 p.m. - Emergency services called to Leicester Square tube station, but no reports of explosion.

But in the same series of photos:

user posted image


What happened at Leicester Square then? Reports of a bus explosion/ an incident on the underground/ a controlled explosion/ nothing?

From Nosemonkey:

12:31 - in the comments, a report of another explosion - this time in Leicester Square. About half a mile from Downing Street.

12:34 - from the comments: " Someone here at work has just been phoned by a guy he knows in Canary Wharf (I know, it's a bit removed - but I trust him)

"He says marines have shot a man there who they think to have been a suicide bomber"

Workmate's husband reports Cambridge Circus - slap bang in the heart of the West End - has been completely shut down. That's just north of Leicester Square, so explosion report there may have been a controlled one.

12:37 - Leicester Square rumour is nonsense.


amirrortotheenemy - September 27, 2007 11:49 PM (GMT)
The army were present at nearby Charing Cross Road where the bomb squad were carrying out controlled explosions

July 07, 2005
London bomb blasts

At last count 7 blasts had been reported on the underground and buses.

I was on the train to Victoria when my fiancee called to tell me the underground had been shut down... Right afterwards people started talking about explosions.

We hadn't yet arrived at Clapham Junction, so I more or less expected the train to be stopped there, assuming they'd at least do a full security sweep of the major train stations, but we continued on to Victoria.

When we got there the only thing we were told was that the underground and bus services had been suspended, and the security announcements that normally would be going every few minutes seemed to be on a more or less continuous loop.

What surprised me the most was the total lack of police presence on the main concourse at Victoria. I went in there to see the news screen, but it looked like (I can't be sure) they froze the news until it was past the first segment - there was nothing about the blasts. This was at around 10am, so they should have had reports by then.

I was on my way to the Norwegian embassy to get my new passport, so I made my way out and walked to Belgrave Square. Afterwards I walked to Hyde Park Corner to see if the underground had reopened. In the end I walked all the way to the office (45 minutes or so) in Shaftesbury avenue.

The atmosphere was eerie - lots of people seemed (and probably were) completely oblivious, and many complaining about the buses or chatting to underground staff at the stations, most of whom did't seem to know any more about what was going on.

But many had clearly heard something had happened, or had gotten worried by the constant stream of police and ambulances - all of the ones I saw were heading East in the directions of most of the blasts, which made it even stranger, as that was the direction I was heading in as well...

By the time I got to Charing Cross Road, police and army personell had blocked large sections of it going towards Tottenham Court Road, keeping people away from two evacuated buses (but no signs of damage - looked like just a precaution as we're not far from several of the blast sites).

Cellphones are more or less useless still, as emergency calls have been given priority and the network is overloaded.

This is the third attack since I moved to London, but the other two - by IRA splinter groups - at Ealing Broadway and the BBC didn't seem like much, since they were "only" single car bombs.


(Technorati tags: terrorism bomb London explosion)

Posted by vidarh at July 7, 2005 12:37 PM

Vidar Hokstad

07-07-2005, 10:16

Lower half of Charing cross road is sealed off, and the Army is on the street now. Likely to be a lot of false reports from now on though. Lots of people walking about, lots of Embassies shut off and policemen with machine guns outside buckingham palace.


1112: Charing Cross Road is cordoned off between Cambridge Circus and Centre Point after reports of a suspect package at a bus stop


user posted image
An army soldier on Charing Cross Road today where a suspect package was detonated. London was hit by six explosions at various tube stations and at least one explosion on a bus. See story

user posted image
An army van parked on Charing Cross Road where a suspect package was destroyed in a controlled detonation. Six explosions have occured at tube stations in London and at least one attack on a bus has been confirmed.

user posted image

Bridget - September 28, 2007 07:58 AM (GMT)
Is there a link between the early reports from Leicester Square and the fact that there's a power control room there? Numeral sent the following FOI re: Leicester Square:
QUOTE ("numeral")
Freedom of Information Act 2000 Request

Dear Sir/Madam

The East London line Duty Operations Manager's Incident Report for 7
July 2005 contains the following passage:

"08:51 Service Suspended on East London Line in consequence of a Signals
Mains Failure together with Traction Current supply failure; caused by a
major power failure in Leicester Square Power Control Room."

I request the Incident Report from the Leicester Square Power Control

I also request the reports of any subsequent investigations carried out
into the power failure in Leicester Square Power Control Room.

This post has a report of an explosion at a major substation:
I chatted to the group of smokers, then, when they left, to a Kenyan woman who was worried about her mother’s reaction if she didn’t manage to reach her first. Her boyfriend worked for London Underground, and had told her that a major electrical substation had been hit, as well as five buses.


There's some discussion on Leicester Square on this thread.

Bridget - September 29, 2007 11:49 AM (GMT)
Posted by Muncher:
A short BBC news clip of a controlled explosion from 7/7 with the sound of the 'explosion'.

Sinclair - November 12, 2007 05:16 PM (GMT)
From the document 'Lessons learned by the London Ambulance NHS Trust following the suicide bombings of 7th July 2005' by Martin Flaherty Director of Operations, 22nd March 2006

6.5 The reasons for this are complex. Communications difficulties clearly impacted on the ability of the managers to get through to our HQ to request additional resources and had communications been better, this would have helped to resolve the situation. The second significant contributing factor is that, in the early stages of the Russell Square incident, the bus bomb was detonated less than 500 metres away in Tavistock Square. This added further complexity for the managers and controllers managing the incident. In Russell Square, the sound of the explosion was interpreted as a secondary device having detonated in the tunnel. Later, a further suspect device was found above ground and led to patients being moved to a different location.

6.6 It is important, too, to understand the geography on the ground around these two locations. Russell Square Underground Station is situated in Bernard St, which runs off of Woburn Place, and it is my understanding that many of the patients were being treated inside a local hotel and were not therefore in full view of ambulance staff. The bus exploded outside the BMA building in Tavistock Square and cordons were set up at the Euston Road, and at Tavistock Place and Russell Sq junctions with Woburn Place.

6.7 It is clear now that resources were being sent to both scenes and had the same forming up point in Woburn Place, whereupon the majority were moved up to treat patients at the highly-visible bus blast. Communications difficulties probably contributed to this initially, and eventually runners were set up between the two scenes and resources were directed back to Russell Square to move the remaining patients.

6.8 Whilst clearly we recognise this as a learning point and a justifiable criticism, I trust you will understand the circumstances and accept that in these highly-
charged, fast-moving scenarios where two incidents are in very close proximity to one another, this type of confusion can occur.


amirrortotheenemy - October 29, 2008 09:44 PM (GMT)

Jul 7 2005, 7:42 am

From: "Gareth" <gar...@homedotcom.invalid>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:42:52 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 7:42 am
Subject: Re: Explosions in London

*Gareth* explained :

> Brighton Railway Station has also been closed.

The area around Brighton Station i.e. Queens Road and Terminus Terrace
has been cordoned off and the Royal Naval Bomb Squad are about to
conduct a controlled explosion on a suspect package.


Jul 7 2005, 9:52 am

From: "Ali" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:52:18 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 9:52 am
Subject: Re: [BNM] Brighton station situation

brighton station had a controlled explosion on a suspicious device - it
wasn't a bomb

it is open now


Paul Silver     

Jul 7 2005, 6:13 am

From: "Paul Silver" <>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:13:29 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:13 am
Subject: RE: [BNM] [OT] Explosion on the tube

According to BBC1 Brighton Station has been shut as well due to some
incident. Not sure if that's an actual incident or a potential one at
the moment.

Martyn Fagg   

Jul 7 2005, 6:48 am

From: Martyn Fagg <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:48:26 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:48 am
Subject: Re: [BNM] [OT] Explosion on the tube

> > According to BBC1 Brighton Station has been shut as well due to some
> > incident. Not sure if that's an actual incident or a potential one at
> > the moment.

> Any more news about Brighton station closure? My girlfriend needs to get
> from Hove to Bexhill for work today!

There are no trains running to/from brighton station. It has been shut
down and the surrounding offices have been evacuated.

Tune in to BBC Southern counties radio, somewhere around 95-96fm. News
on it right now.

Samuel Watts     

Jul 7 2005, 6:55 am

From: "Samuel Watts" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:55:49 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:55 am
Subject: RE: [BNM] [OT] Explosion on the tube

There are no trains running to/from brighton station. It has been shut
down and the surrounding offices have been evacuated.


Still here! There were reports of an explosion at Brighton Station but I
can vouch that ain't true... I would have heard/felt it!

Stephen Field     

Jul 7 2005, 6:58 am

From: "Stephen Field" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:58:16 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:58 am
Subject: RE: [BNM] [OT] Explosion on the tube

I'm also seeing odd things with text messages - certain words starred out
followed by *This has been removed* within incoming text messages.

Very sinister.

Martyn Fagg     

Jul 7 2005, 7:11 am

From: Martyn Fagg <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:11:45 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 7:11 am
Subject: Re: [BNM] [OT] Explosion on the tube

>From radio:

There was a leather 'briefcase sized' package in a phone box near
Grand Central pub. Bomb squad supervisors have arrived but a team from
portsmouth are on their way to perform a controlled explosion.

Paul Silver     

Jul 7 2005, 7:37 am

From: "Paul Silver" <>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:37:48 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 7:37 am
Subject: RE: [BNM] [OT] Explosion on the tube

Just been out and about. The Police have cordoned off the station area
from the Battle of Trafalgar pub, the whole junction where the Evening
Star / traffic lights are, and down Trafalgar Road where the station
makes the bridge over the road. Between me crossing the traffic lights
area and getting back from the bakers they'd extended the area a bit and
are still extending it out towards Buckingham Road, so it might be
higher up than the Battle now (would have to be if there is something
outside Grand Central.)

There's quite a few photographers around, but not a lot else happening.
I'm not surprised it's a sus-package as I couldn't see them closing such
a big area unless they'd found something, whether inside the station or

I met a bloke who was trying to get to Seven Dials and he said the
insurance company he works for isn't doing cold-calls to companies
trying to sell insurance today as it could be seen as bad taste, so it's
nice to see some insurance companies have some sense. He couldn't make
any phone calls, but other people in the area had their phones to their
ears so I don't know if there's just too many people using them, or
whether some companies have shut down the local service.



Anthony Hall   

Jul 7 2005, 7:39 am

From: Anthony Hall <>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:39:25 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 7:39 am
Subject: [BNM] Brighton station situation

Anyone got an update? Sam, are you being evacuated yet?

Reports of a "suspect package" in the phone box opposite Grand Central on
the BBC, apparently.


Mat Walker

Jul 7 2005, 7:56 am

From: Mat Walker <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:56:04 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 7:56 am
Subject: Re: [BNM] Brighton station situation

On 7 Jul 2005, at 12:39, Anthony Hall wrote:

> Anyone got an update?

Heres some pictures I took on the way home from town.

user posted image

Suspect package in the phone boxes by Grand Central pub

user posted image

Queens Road

user posted image

Queens Road

Samuel Watts   

Jul 7 2005, 8:37 am

From: "Samuel Watts" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:37:34 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 8:37 am
Subject: RE: [BNM] Brighton station situation

Nope no further news here... Just saw a meat wagon making it's way up
there on my way back from lunch. Phones still working, internet's flakey
(separate issue) but the big gates across Traf' Place have been shut
with guards on them checking vehicles entering/exiting etc and the
underground carpark is sealed... Brighton town is as ever, tourist hell
with nothing untoward...

James Wragg     

Jul 7 2005, 8:52 am

From: James Wragg <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:52:29 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 8:52 am
Subject: Re: [BNM] [OT] Explosion on the tube

Just heard on Southern Counties Radio that Brighton station will open
again in 10-15 minutes.

amirrortotheenemy - October 29, 2008 10:35 PM (GMT)

Jul 7 2005, 6:24 am

Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
From: "alarmed" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:24:03 +0000 (UTC)
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:24 am
Subject: series of explosions in London, the "tube", buses

There are reports of a series of explosions here in London:
Initially two explosions under "tube trains" at Edgware road
and Aldgate stations, these being two major junctions on
the Hammersmith city and circle lines and Metropolitan lines.
Also a double-decker bus in central London suffered a huge
explosion that blew the whole upper deck off.
There are further reports of further explosions at:
Moorgate and Old street, these being in the financial and
business area of London, also Russell square being popular
locale for hotels for visiting tourists.
Breaking at reports of controlled explosions in the Houndsditch
and Liverpool street area's of London.

There are fatalities, and many many injuries.
All this after London being awarded the 2012 Olympics, and
World leaders in the G8 summit.

11.24am London


Jul 7 2005, 5:58 am

From: "Gareth" <gar...@homedotcom.invalid>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:58:55 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 5:58 am
Subject: Re: Explosions in London

*Phil* laid this down on the screen :

> Seems there have been several incidents on the London Underground with
> reports of bus explosions too.


> BBC and Sky News sites busy so couldn't post a link to them.

An explosion has ripped the top off a double-decker bus outside the BMA
causing fatalities.
And another one just gone off in Hounsditch area.
The whole London Underground has been shut dow

Eugenio Mastroviti     

Jul 7 2005, 6:05 am

Newsgroups: it.discussioni.misteri
From: Eugenio Mastroviti <>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:05:24 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:05 am
Subject: Re: (ot) esplosioni a londra

Nicola® wrote:
> una decina di ordigni sono esplosi nel centro di londra: 5 esplosioni
> nella metropolitana, 4 su degli autobus
> fin'ora 7 morti
> viene presa in considerazione l'ipotesi kamikaze

Scusa, la BBC e Sky danno 3 esplosioni in metropolitana - King's
Cross/Euston, Liverpool Street e Edgware Road, e 2 su autobus,
Houndsditch e Russell Square.


Jul 7 2005, 6:16 am

Newsgroups: it.discussioni.misteri
From: Nicola® <>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:16:15 GMT
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:16 am
Subject: Re: (ot) esplosioni a londra

Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
> Quella di Old Street - per quanto ne so - non e' stata confermata, e
> quella di Russell Square e' su un autobus, non nella metropolitana (e
> non e' esattamente in Russell Square, e' in Tavistock Place)

ne hanno trovato un altro a stockwell
non esploso


Jul 7 2005, 6:22 am

From: "Wilkinson" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:22:26 +0200
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:22 am
Subject: Re: un tizio su BBC

12:13  Stockwell, chiusa stazione per pacco sospetto
La stazione della metropolitana di Stockwell, a Londra, è stata chiusa in
seguito al ritrovamento di un pacco sospetto.

12:10  Nuova esplosione a Houndsditch
La Bbc riferisce di un'altra esplosione, avvertita a Houndsditch. L'area si
trova nella City, vicino alla stazione della metropolitica di Aldgate.

Jul 7 2005, 5:25 am

From: "Anna65" <>
Date: 7 Jul 2005 02:25:45 -0700
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 5:25 am
Subject: Re: Esplosioni a Londra

L'Esattore ha scritto:

> Il capricioso *Wilkinson* ha scritto:

> > La polizia non  ha ancora confermato la notizia.

> non è che ci sia molto da confermare...
> si parla di 5 esplosioni in città.

Su Sky TG24 confermano 2 sulla metropolitana e una su un autobus
La metropolitana è completamente chiusa e bloccata.
Tutto nella zona finanziaria
Per ora si parla solo di feriti fortunatamente
Dicono che sia un guasto elettrico ma io ho seri dubbi. anzi ora
cominciano ad ammettere che c'erano bombe..


Jul 7 2005, 5:30 am

From: "Wilkinson" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:30:25 +0200
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 5:30 am
Subject: Re: Esplosioni a Londra

11:29  Scotland Yard, "Diversi autobus"
Scotland Yard ha detto che a Londra questa mattina si sono veriticate
"molteplici esplosioni", oltre che nel metrò, anche su tre diversi autobus
in circolazione nelle strade della capitale britannica.


Jul 7 2005, 5:39 am

From: "Wilkinson" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:39:14 +0200
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 5:39 am
Subject: Re: Esplosioni a Londra

11:35  Trovato esplosivo sui binari
Fonti dei trasporti affermano che è stato ritrovato materiale esplosivo sui

11:34  Sette morti ad Aldgate
Ci sarebbero sette vittime nella stazione della metropolitana di Aldgate.


Jul 7 2005, 6:21 am

From: "Wilkinson" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:21:42 +0200
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:21 am
Subject: Re: Esplosioni a Londra

12:13  Stockwell, chiusa stazione per pacco sospetto
La stazione della metropolitana di Stockwell, a Londra, è stata chiusa in
seguito al ritrovamento di un pacco sospetto.

La Bbc riferisce di un'altra esplosione, avvertita a Houndsditch. L'area si
trova nella City, vicino alla stazione della metropolitica di Aldgate.

Guy King     

Jul 14 2005, 11:19 am

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: Guy King <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:19:34 +0100
Local: Thurs, Jul 14 2005 11:19 am
Subject: Re: Bombs on bus and underground

The message <>
from Whitedog <> contains these words:

> >It was very distracting at the old wbo, when we (the geeks) were
> >separated from the call centre only by a glass wall.
> I bet the cleaners cursed you lot as they scrubbed the greasy nose
> prints off the glass.

Years ago I helped install the cameras on the Northern and Victoria
choob lines. The control room was IIRC at Stockwell. Anyway, it was a
darkened room behind a golden two-way[1] mirror. Used to really freak
out the public by waiting for some spotty Herbert to lean forward to
squeeze a spot then pressing your hand against the "wrong" side of the
mirror. A ghostly handprint would appear before their very eyes.

[1] Why do people call 'em a one-way mirror?

Bridget - October 29, 2008 10:48 PM (GMT)
Years ago I helped install the cameras on the Northern and Victoria
choob lines. The control room was IIRC at Stockwell. Anyway, it was a
darkened room behind a golden two-way[1] mirror.

I wonder if the control room is still at Stockwell?

amirrortotheenemy - October 29, 2008 11:23 PM (GMT)
Police defend city centre shutdown

Birmingham chief explains 10-hour Saturday evacuation as police cope with forgotten luggage alarms

David Ward
The Guardian,
Monday July 11 2005

The chief constable of West Midlands police yesterday defended his decision to close the centre of Birmingham on Saturday night and evacuate more than 20,000 people from bars, clubs, hotels and restaurants.

The 10-hour shutdown on the busiest night of the week is thought to have cost local businesses £1m in lost takings.

Paul Scott-Lee admitted the packages on a bus and at a hotel were neither bombs nor hoax explosive devices, but stressed information received by officers had been significant enough to warrant the evacuation. There had been a "real and significant" threat to lives, he added. The Birmingham shutdown followed the closure of Manchester's main railway station after the discovery of a suspect package.

Mr Scott-Lee was backed by the home secretary, Charles Clarke, who praised the response of both police and public. "There was a serious threat," Mr Clarke told the BBC. "That is why the police acted as they did. I think both the police acted entirely professionally and the people living in Birmingham acted entirely professionally. The police would have been quite wrong if they had ignored the threat which came to them."

Mr Scott-Lee said officers had to react following calls from members of the public and said he and his team had been influenced by the bombings in London on Thursday.

"I can tell you that, bearing in mind the current world climate, the information we received posed a real threat to the lives of people in the city centre," said Mr Scott-Lee. "I believe this threat was significant for me to authorise this evacuation. The packages were incidental to the threat we were responding to."

Bomb disposal teams used a mobile robot to carry out four controlled explosions on a double-decker bus parked close to the Square Peg pub in Corporation Street in the city centre. Another team went to the Travelodge hotel on Broad Street to deal with a suspicious package which proved to be a box with wires and a switch.

Asked if the force had overreacted in the wake of the London attacks, Mr Scott-Lee said: "There was a significant threat. Alert members of the public saw things that gave them concern and they responded to it. We have found no bombs but we have responded to what members of the public saw and thought was suspicious and which they quite responsibly drew to our attention."

The city centre reopened at about 6am yesterday and there was an increased police presence on the streets. During the shutdown, BBC staff were evacuated from their studios and hundreds of guests were forced to leave hotels. Emergency accommodation was provided at the Ladywood Arts Centre and at Aston University. Bernadette Atkinson, 55, from West Yorkshire, said: "I was angry [the evacuation] ended our evening. We were walking around in circles. We didn't know where we were going or have anywhere to stay as we couldn't go back to our hotel."

Among the confusion, Ms Atkinson said she saw a bride and groom having their first dance outside the police cordon. "They even threw their bouquet into the crowd," she said.

In Manchester, British Transport police evacuated Piccadilly station on Saturday afternoon after a suspicious package was found. Surrounding streets were closed and cordoned off as an army bomb disposal team from Chester carried out a controlled explosion.

All train services into Piccadilly station were suspended and tram and bus services into the station disrupted. The package is believed to have been luggage that had been left behind on a train.

Police were also called to Heathrow yesterday morning after a suspicious package was found in one of the airport's car parks just before 11am. The car park was evacuated but the alert was called off an hour later. In London, there have been 150 calls to British Transport police about suspect packages since Thursday. The force has also had 22 malicious bomb threats.

"Many of the various alerts in London at the moment are because people are calling us to report suspicious people or suspicious packages," said deputy chief constable Andy Trotter. "I think we should get very impatient with people who leave packages and suitcases lying around."

Country on alert

Within hours of the London blasts, there were bomb scares across the country

· Thursday

Edinburgh Controlled explosions on two suspect packages in Princes Street

Hereford Suspect package destroyed outside a Co-op. Residents evacuated

Brighton Suspect package destroyed at Brighton station. Residents evacuated

Portsmouth Police close Portsmouth harbour for three hours after a hoax call

· Friday

London Liverpool Street, Euston and Charing Cross stations evacuated after suspect packages found

Edinburgh Bomb disposal team called to George Street after suspect package found

Worcester Swimming pool used as evacuation centre after suspect package found

· Saturday

Manchester Piccadilly station closed after suspect package found

Kent Ashford International station evacuated after unattended luggage found
Additional research by Alan Power


numeral - October 29, 2008 11:31 PM (GMT)
1. Welcome To Cravens Heritage Trains

      "In recent years members have been able to visit the disused station at Wood Lane and the Northern and Victoria Line control room at Coburg Street. ..."

Coburg Street is close to Euston.

amirrortotheenemy - October 29, 2008 11:40 PM (GMT)
Allan Riise

Jul 7 2005, 6:10 am
Newsgroups: dk.politik
From: "Allan Riise" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:10:23 +0200
Local: Thurs, Jul 7 2005 6:10 am
Subject: Re: Terror i London !!!

"Kim Larsen" <> skrev i en meddelelse

> Se TV-avisen NU !

Londons transportsystem er blevet ramt af flere eksplosioner. Eksplosionerne
har ramt både undergrundssystemet og en bus. Det forlyder, at mindst en er
dræbt og at flere er kommet til skade. Hele undergrundssystemet er nu

Den britiske regering sidder i møde, dog uden Tony Blair, som er i Skotland
til G8-mødet. Regeringen bliver briefet om situationen, siger en talsmand
for Downing Street. Foreløbig har Tony Blair ingen planer om at forlade

Svære personskader
BBC har talt med den britiske indenrigs Charles Clarke, som oplyser, at vi
har hørt om svære personskader, og vender tilbage med mere information

Eksplosion i bus i London.
- Borgerne i London bør undgå unødvendige rejser/transport rund i London for

Samtidig er der en rapport om en eksplosion i bus på Tavistock Square i det
centrale London. Bussen fik taget revet af ved eksplosionen og en person
blev hårdt såret. Området er afspærret. Scotlandt Yard bekræfter hændelsen.

Første ekpslosioner 8:49
BBC skriver, at der klokken 8:49 lokal tid lød et brag mellem Liverpool
Street Station og Aldgate undergrundsstation. Der er også rapporter om
eksplosioner ved Edgware Road undergrundsstationen.

- Folk har været spærret inde i 30 minutter. Flere er besvimet og gået i
panik, siger et øjenvidne på Euston undergrundsstationen til nyhedsbureauet

Det britiske transportpoliti rapporterer om sårede og at mindst en er
alvorligt såret.

BBC reporter oplyser at en bombe også er gået af i området syd for Liverpool
street, Hounsditch.

Bragene i undergrundssystemet kan skyldes en elektrisk fejl, siger en
talsmand fra transportpolitiet. Al trafik er nu indstillet på

Allan Riise

Bridget - October 30, 2008 12:09 AM (GMT)

amirrortotheenemy - October 30, 2008 01:41 AM (GMT)
QUOTE (Sinclair @ Nov 12 2007, 05:16 PM)
From the document 'Lessons learned by the London Ambulance NHS Trust following the suicide bombings of 7th July 2005' by Martin Flaherty Director of Operations, 22nd March 2006

6.5 The reasons for this are complex. Communications difficulties clearly impacted on the ability of the managers to get through to our HQ to request additional resources and had communications been better, this would have helped to resolve the situation. The second significant contributing factor is that, in the early stages of the Russell Square incident, the bus bomb was detonated less than 500 metres away in Tavistock Square. This added further complexity for the managers and controllers managing the incident. In Russell Square, the sound of the explosion was interpreted as a secondary device having detonated in the tunnel. Later, a further suspect device was found above ground and led to patients being moved to a different location.


I wonder if he's attempting to explain away possible witness testimony such as this

"Lost" Explosion Mystery...

I received this from someone I know who was in the King's Cross area this morning. I consider this person a reliable source... but read it and see what you make of it:

"What happened to the two blasts at Kings Cross and Russell Square? They initially said there were two blasts in the Picadilly Line tunnel, now the authorities are saying there was one.

How did six explosions become four? (Moorgate has "disappeared" as well, but I don't know anything about that) No one has satisfactorily explained this. No explanation given. How can two blasts simply disappear in the news reporting in a city of seven million people and countless witnesses? How can such a U-turn occur after being reported for at least six hours?

At about 5pm, I was talking to a member of the rapid response team who was first at the scene of the Kings Cross blast. He was there within minutes of the attack and only left the tunnels at about 3pm. He was first in after the London Underground emergency staff, (who he said were 'running around like headless chickens'), his people were the first into the tunnel, they worked to bring things under control before the paramedics came in.

He said he felt the force, heard the noise, felt the wind of the second blast coming through the tunnel. I believe him.

He was still wearing his ID around his neck and despite being hosed down and cleaned up, I could still smell the smoke and destruction on him, the same smell that was in the air around Kings Cross this morning. He was in a pub off duty, his work done, trying to drink himself down from seeing escalators dripping with blood, severed limbs and other unspeakable horrors... he was not drunk, not even close.

He told me that he felt the second blast coming up the tunnel from Russell Square direction. Now we are being told there was only one blast.

Also a broadcast journalist told me that there was a second blast and he believes, but does not know for sure, that it was a controlled explosion. What? Haven't heard that one yet.

The media is saying there was only one explosion in King's Cross/Russell Square

Who should I believe?

It's been a long day, I'm too exhausted emotionally to be glued to the TV or Internet to watch every development. Perhaps there's a rational explanation for this discrepancy, but if so, I've missed it.

I have no reason to doubt that hero I met today who was first in the tunnels. He was a solid, straightforward man who was doing his job, and doing it well. There's no reason for him to have mentioned that second blast if it didn't happen, the blast was initially mentioned by others wandering around London this morning, and was mentioned on the media before being dropped without explanation. So what's going on?

Oh, by the way I bought him a brandy. From all us Londoners. To say thank you to him and all the emergency workers who did a brilliant job on this difficult day. Well done guys."


London Leben

numeral - October 30, 2008 08:11 AM (GMT)
Paramedic tells of battle to save lives underground
Last updated at 11:31 06 July 2006

For almost two hours paramedic William Kilminster worked in the bomb-hit Tube train between Russell Square and King's Cross Underground stations, enduring one of the most horrific scenes imaginable to rescue survivors.

He had been among the first group to reach the train after the suicide bombing and despite the devastation, knew teams had to act quickly to prevent any further loss of life.

With just a basic medical kit, he led the others as they set about assessing the survivors of Jermaine Lindsay's rucksack bomb. All were "priority one" casualties, as many had suffered horrific injuries.

Working with police officers and London Underground (LU) staff, they began, as best they could, to evacuate the injured. There was no way they could receive proper treatment in that environment, so getting them above ground was the priority.

Extreme temperature

The temperature was extreme, the humidity intense and they all worked with the knowledge that there were, tragically, many dead bodies in the carriage around them.

Mr Kilminster, 38, a married father of two children, had been the first emergency services worker of any description on the scene at Russell Square.

He was confronted with 200 people suffering burns and minor injuries, covered in smoke and soot. But he was soon informed by LU staff that the situation was much more serious down in the tunnel and there were probably fatalities.

After gathering a group of rescue workers, they made their way from the platform, along the pitch black of the Tube line.

"The front of the train appeared out of the darkness, smoke and dust," he said.

Dead silence

"We found the first casualties on the first set of seats. It was extremely quiet, there was no noise, no crying or screaming. It was dead silence.

"There was a lot of damage around the blast area, (there were) people injured and dead. We were working by torchlight, we had eight to ten live casualties, seriously injured, in there."

Mr Kilminster worked to ready each casualty for transportation on makeshift stretchers, off the train, along the tunnel and up to the surface. Firefighters, police officers, LU staff, all filled in as stretcher bearers. Among those they rescued was Gill Hicks, who lost both her legs in the blast.

Mr Kilminster spent almost two hours down there, until all of the casualties had been evacuated.

"It was the hardest thing I have ever done, physically, mentally and emotionally," he said.

"It was humid, the temperature was extreme, the conditions we were working in due to the bomb blasts and the devastation down there..."

With the immediacy of the situation, he did not even realise there had been simultaneous attacks close to two other stations until much later, although he and the other emergency workers heard the explosion on the bus in Tavistock Square.

Initially they thought it might be a secondary device on their train.

"We had to decide whether to stay or evacuate - everybody decided to stay," he said.

Sadness and pride

Mr Kilminster said his feelings one year on were a mixture of sadness "for the loss of life" and the injured "we could not save", but also "pride" in the response of the emergency services.

"Occasionally I think about it - something takes you back to it, something on the television - and you think back to what you did that day."

Mr Kilminster, who is based at Camden in north London, was awarded an MBE by the Queen earlier this year.

numeral - October 30, 2008 08:30 AM (GMT)
Gold medals for 7/7 sniffer dogs
Last Updated: Tuesday, 3 July 2007, 17:23 GMT 18:23 UK

Police sniffer dogs who searched for explosives in the aftermath of the 7 July bombings have been honoured.

Labradors Vinnie and Billy, and Jake, a spaniel, were awarded the animals' George Cross on behalf of the 14 dogs and their handlers who worked that day.

Princess Alexandra, a patron of People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) gave the gold medals at a special ceremony at St James's Palace.

The dogs were on duty when a car bomb was found at Haymarket, central London.

'Unsung heroes'

The dogs were deployed to locate possible secondary terrorist devices at the four bomb attack sites on 7 July 2005.

They checked access was safe for emergency services, who were preparing to assist those left trapped or injured.

Earlier praising their contribution Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Tarique Ghaffur, said: "I would like to pay tribute to all those who were involved in the rescue effort that day who behaved calmly and courageously, including the handlers and their dogs."

Freddie Bircher, chairman of PDSA, said: "They worked fearlessly and in perfect unison searching for possible secondary devices.

"These police explosive search dogs have been the unsung heroes of that tragic day and now it's their turn for the spotlight."

British Transport Police dog Vinnie was deployed at Russell Square Tube site where he searched the tunnel to King's Cross.

His handler Pc Dave Coleman said: "Despite horrific conditions, Vinnie never wavered. I was so proud of him."

Metropolitan Police dog Jake, whose formal name is Hubble Keck, searched the wreckage of the suicide bombed double decker bus at Tavistock Square.

His handler Pc Bob Crawford said: "The initial concern was for the injured passengers still on the bus... we suspected there was a secondary device in a box on the luggage rack."

City of London Police dog Billy searching the tunnel in Aldgate in poor visibility and oppressive heat and attended 21 locations throughout the day in response to security alerts.

His handler Pc Rob Brydon-Brown said: "Billy is a good lad... every working day I put my trust in Billy and he has never let me down."

The PDSA gold medal is generally awarded to animals who are "instrumental in saving human or animal life".

amirrortotheenemy - October 30, 2008 11:35 PM (GMT)
Some more photographs of police activity in Brighton on 07/07: Flickr/

Thursday, July 07, 2005
BLOGOSPHERE: Other Events in London Today

There have also been reports of an explosion on Houndsditch in the City of London, near Liverpool Street station, with a police officer reporting pulling people out of a bus there.[8] Additional reports indicate that there have been unspecified incidents at Brighton, Luton, and Swindon. These stations have been closed and there has been no official confirmation of the nature of the incidents, if any actually occurred. BBC World reported that the stations had been evacuated due to "security incidents". East Croydon station is also closed.

In Brighton there was a controlled explosion of a suspicious briefcase at approximately 12:55 PM local time in a telephone box outside of Brighton station. The brief case was later found to be harmless, and the station was re-opened.

There have been reports of a controlled explosion at Coventry bus station.
Vodafone have reported that their mobile phone network reached capacity at about 10 AM on the day of the incident, and they were forced to initiate emergency procedures to prioritise emergency calls. Other mobile phone networks have also reported failures. London's Transport system is currently paralysed, significantly because of the complete closure of the underground system and the Zone 1 closure of the bus networks, as well as evacuation of Russell Square. The BBC has speculated that the phone system has been closed by the security services to prevent the possibility of mobile phones being used to trigger bombs. BBC reports mobile networks are running again.


Local Brighton radio tells of a controlled explosion of a suspicous briefcase at approximately 12:55 PM local time in a telephone box outside of Brighton station. All London to Brighton trains have been cancelled for now.


Brighton station cleared in bomb alert

From the archive, first published Thursday 7th Jul 2005.

Hundreds of travellers were evacuated from Brighton station after a suspicious package was found. It was later blown up in a controlled explosion.

Brighton station was evacuated at 11.20am after a large black briefcase was found by the telephone boxes on the station forecourt sparking a security alert.

People were sent out by the back of the station into New England Street and the station and all surrounding roads were cordoned off while British Transport Police investigated.

Thameslink cancelled all services in and out of Brighton. Some trains operated by Southern continued to run but only to Preston Park.

Many commuters had already been left stranded after mainline train services across the South-East were halted in the wake of the series of explosions in London.

Passengers arriving from London Victoria spoke of panic and confusion in the capital. Zoe Partington, who had travelled through London from Shropshire, said: "I arrived at Euston to go on the Tube. Ticket barriers were down so we boarded the train.

"It was stopped at Green Park and we were all evacuated. It was impossible to get a cab so I walked to Victoria. There were all sorts of rumours about terrorist attacks and people panicking. I am staying in Brighton overnight to feel safe."

Winnie Alwazzan, from Houston, America, was travelling to Brighton as part of a fortnight's holiday with her husband and three children. She said: "I cannot believe this has happened on our holiday but we will not let them ruin it. It will not stop us travelling by train."

Helen Rodger, 23, of Lewes Road, Brighton, said: "One passenger on the train had a laptop and looked up what was happening. When we heard about the possibility of bombs we were terrified. It is a relief to be back in Brighton safe."

Journalist Linda Harrison, 32, who commutes to London from Preston Park, said: "There is tension in the air, nobody knows what is going on. It is all very worrying. Offices are virtually empty because people using the Underground cannot get in and everybody is having difficulties getting a mobile phone signal."

The Argus

amirrortotheenemy - November 8, 2008 01:08 PM (GMT)
The London bombings… from Swindon, 80 miles away

Posted by andrew on Jul 7, 2005

Not perhaps the best day for me to forget my mobile phone before making an early morning trip to London…

The train stopped at Swindon (80 miles from London) when we were told that there had been a “major incident” in London, and we were heavily advised to get out at Swindon. A girl, on the phone to someone, then shouted out that there’d been an explosion at Liverpool Street Station, and that’s when we calmly decided to leave the train.

While I was waiting for a payphone to call friends, people were behind me asking about the next train to London. There was very little information about what was going on, so I boarded a train heading back to Cardiff - only for that train to be evacuated.

Then from seemingly nowhere, a stream of railway and police staff arrived (they’re never around when you want one normally!) and Swindon railway station was slowly evacuated. Past signs saying “All tube and train services in London cancelled”, and then flicking to “Congratulations to London for winning the 2012 Olympics”.

Thus I ended up knocking on a pub across the road and asking if they had a TV set. People gradually came into the pub and we were all watching BBC News 24 - with BBC journalists asking American tourists how they’d conduct the rest of their holiday - when we realised that everyone had been evacuated well away from Swindon station, and a bomb disposal team had been called in. But hey, we were all in a pub, so that was ok. Gallows humour, and a couple of pints while watching the news. We saw images of the blown-up bus, but it never entered my head that there would be major casualties on that bus.

Then the police came in, and asked if anyone could claim ownership of a Marks’n'Spencers carrier bag with two brown packages and a washbag. Alas, no. So we were then also evacuated away from the pub and 500m further down the street, being told that there would be a controlled explosion soon.

Then I needed the toilet - but given the security situation, all the office buildings in the area were on a lockdown. Unless you happen to have a work pass - which came in very handy!

Got back to see three GWR FM “journalists” huddled in a corner, talking to each other. I say “journalists” in speech marks because then there was the controlled explosion - with policemen hiding behind buildings and telling everyone to stay away from windows - and they didn’t even notice.

Then a bus came to get us all back to Bristol, then the train to Cardiff and to my mobile phone to find lots of messages from anguished people. I can only apologise. Sorry.

The day didn’t seem particularly serious while I was in Swindon, or in transit to Cardiff (no casualty figures had been announced). But I got back to work to find news reports of 30+ dead and terrible eyewitness reports. Sad, but then compared to 191 dead in the Madrid train attacks on 11 March 2004, it seems like London (touch wood) got off very lightly.

But I saw no panic - everyone was very calm indeed. I have no idea where all the train staff suddenly swam in from but they were all very
calm, collected and gave as much information as they could.

Here’s a couple of eyewitness accounts, plus more from BBC News and Flickr.

And to be utterly British about, a blogger snaps when her local pub (one I’ve frequented) is closed because of the “binge on terror” while Gia has a singularly British reaction - she just tuts a lot.


amirrortotheenemy - May 2, 2010 01:34 AM (GMT)
QUOTE (Kier @ Sep 27 2007, 09:00 PM)
I was curious about reports of an explosion at Leicester Square on 7/705 which appear to have originated with the LAS, as mentioned on a post I put on the bus explosion thread. Here is another mention of it:

I contacted the office and they asked me to check out Kings Cross station. By now, we knew that there were at least four explosions; three on the tube, and one on a bus.

As I made my way there, a friend contacted me saying that he had heard that someone had been evacuated from Leicester Square tube following another explosion. On arrival I encountered no cars, buses, or people. There hadn't been another terrorist blast. Later I heard that the event had been a controlled explosion of a suspect package by the Army.

Thursday, July 7
Paul Woodrow Press Statement on behalf of OAS

Ambulance Incident Officer at Russell Square for the Emergency Services in London.

    "Emergency services are responding to a number of emergencies. I can confirm that they've been called to:

    Kings Cross
    Russell Square
    Edgeware Road
    Liverpoool Street
    Leicester Square (tube).

    Bus explosion at Tavistock Square.

    Kings Cross station currently undertaking underground rescue. We are dealing with large number of casualties, and we believe there are a number of fatalities. All underground lines are closed, and all inbound London lines are closed. If you need to use the LAS, only do so if you entirely feel the need as we are all very stretched."

Dragged out of Christopher's memory and pasted
into his blog at 7/07/2005 12:12:00 PM. Roughly.
Blog ID: 112073477767817791


Edit: another source

We Interrupt Our Usual Broadcast...

The London metro system is in chaos after at least 6 explosions ripped through the underground during morning peak hour. Surprisingly, the only figure of casualties stands at 90 injuries and still only a handful of confirmed deaths at this stage.

Tony Blair's first appearance on TV live from the G8 summit in Scotland, confirmed that they believe it is certainly a terrorist attack, and the BBC monitoring service reports that a European website has a statement from a known terrorist (Al-Qaeda) group that they are trying to translate to see whether it is related or not.

Paul Woodrow, Ambulance Incident Officer at Russel Square. (apologies now for the spelling)

    I can confirm explosions Kings Cross, Russel Square, Edgeware Road,and Leicester Square Undergound Stations. Also an explosion on a bus in Taberstock Place. We believe we are dealing with a large number of casualties.

A visibly distressed Tony Blair from G8.

  It is reasonably clear that there has been a series of terrorist attacks in London. There are obviously casualties, both people who have died and those who are seriously injured...It is my intention to leave the G8 and go down to London and get a face to face report...It is the will of all of the leaders of the G8 however, that the meeting continue...that we continue to disscuss the issues we were going to discuss...each of those countries around the table have had some experience in terrorism...Its particularly barbaric that this has happened on a day when people are meeting to try and help poverty africa, and climate change is also recently clear that it is designed and aimed to conincide with the G8. There will be time to talk later about this. Its important however, that those engaged in terorrism realise that our determiantion to defend our values and way of life, is greater than their determination to cause death and destruction and extremism on the world. Whatver they do, it is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country, and in other civilised nations around the world.

A hopsital near one of the blast sites is apparently dealing with a range of injuries, from loss of limbs, exstensive burns and hearing loss.

Australian relatives who are concerned for family in London should contact the DFAT line on 1300 555 135, but communications is proving a major issue. Landline and mobile networks appear to be done throughout all of the metro region, and the DFAT line is clogged.

And apparently some dude tried to light a fire at the PMs office here in Canberra while armed with a knife. Some people will never learn.

And now to the cricket. Australia 2 for 84. Ponting on 5. Martyn on 10. So the world continues to turn. And if you are watching this live, you will doubt be warmed in your heart and lungs to know that Channel 10 is continuing regular programming. May the rednecks in Big Brother and the latest Law & Order NEVER BE STOPPED!

Posted by Dave The Hat :: 9:11 PM :: 0 Comments:


amirrortotheenemy - June 4, 2010 02:34 PM (GMT)
11.12am Charing Cross Road in central London is cordoned off between Cambridge Circus and Centre Point after a report of a suspect package at a bus stop.

London's worst eyesores
By Evening Standard staff Last updated at 00:00am on 20.02.04

Elephant and Castle's shopping centre is not the only eyesore to blight London's skyline. A poll, by the London Design Festival, reveals the capital's five ugliest landmarks

1 Barbican Centre - sprawling mass of grey concrete blocks

2 BT Tower - the "bomb-proof" and evidently style-proof tower was a Sixties vision of the future

3 Millennium Dome - London's grandest white elephant, costing more than £600million

4 Centre Point Tower - monumental 398ft high, 37-storey office block

5 Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre


Centre Point Tower, London
An architectural icon from the 1960s
(Photos/words © urban75, Updated Oct 2009)

One of London's most famous, if not most-loved, buildings, Centre Point stands in the centre of the West End, looking over the busy Oxford Street and Charing Cross Rd junction.



Publication: Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date: Mar 23, 2004
Words: 243

Combat terror or have aid slashed say EU.

Officials said aid and trade agreements could be withdrawn if countries don't co-operate with the war on terror.

Foreign ministers, including Jack Straw, met in Brussels yesterday and also agreed a NATO-style pledge that nations must go to each other's aid in case of a terrorist attack.

The plans will be put to an EU leaders summit on Thursday, due to be attended by Tony Blair.

Straw said: 'We have got to look at practical measures to complete counter-terrorism co-operation and investigative capacities within Europe.'

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana added that the time had come for Europe to show more solidarity against terrorists.

He said: 'In the fight against terrorism, the national interests are not the leading element because every country is in the same situation.

'International and European co-operation is absolutely fundamental.'

The call came as police stepped up surveillance on targets throughout the UK.

A leaked internal Scotland Yard memo warns that Britain's road and rail network are the most likely terrorist target.

The confidential briefing also informs officers that 'postcard sites' listed as the BT Tower, London landmark Centre Point, the British Museum and the British Library are vulnerable.

It suggests 'further attention' be given to protecting Ministry of Defence premises, as well as American interests.

The Yard memo said: 'Overall, the threat to the UK from international terrorism has increased.'


amirrortotheenemy - June 4, 2010 03:07 PM (GMT)
Powerlink - Where We Are

EDF Energy Powerlink has approximately 270 permanent staff, based at 5 main locations:

Network Control Centre

EDF Energy Powerlink operates its own dedicated Network Control Centre from premises located near Leicester Square.  In addition, EDF Energy Powerlink maintains a duplicated Emergency Control Room at a remote location, which is maintained on hot standby at all times to take over in the event of the non-availability of the main control centre.  The whole network is monitored and controlled by a sophisticated SCADA (System Control and Data Acquisition) system.


Balfour powers ahead in rail deal fight

Published Date: 03 April 2003

BALFOUR Beatty, the construction and engineering giant behind the £32 million redevelopment of Edinburgh’s former GPO building, has been shortlisted for a £50m contract from Network Rail.

The rail infrastructure owner has named Balfour, working in a joint venture with Seeboard Contracting Services, as the preferred bidder to upgrade the power supply to the rail network in inner London.

Network Rail has signed a seven-year framework agreement with the joint venture, which is likely to generate about £50m of work during 2003 and 2004.

Balfour chief executive Mike Welton said: "We are pleased to be working with Network Rail and Seeboard on this important project which will help facilitate the introduction of new, reliable rolling stock by the train-operating companies."

The contract involves the design and construction of new electricity sub-stations, the design and installation of high-voltage switchgear and other equipment and the replacement of cabling systems. The work is due to begin this spring.

Since August 1998, a joint venture between Balfour and Seeboard has been responsible for upgrading London Underground’s high-voltage power distribution network under a 30-year public-private partnership (PPP) agreement.
Balfour recently announced a pre-tax profit of £118m for 2002, compared with £102m for the previous year, on turnover of £3.1 billion.

The company - which is also involved in work on the Forth Bridge, the new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and a new student accommodation block for Edinburgh University at Pollock Halls - also announced that it had a record order book worth some £5.1bn at the end of the year, an increase of 19 per cent on 2001.

Mr Welton said: " We believe that we are able to anticipate further progress in 2003."

Page 1 of 1

Last Updated: 03 April 2003 10:45 AM
Source: Edinburgh Evening News
Location: Edinburgh


EDF Energy: a brief history of acquisitions and mergers

    * London Electricity - November 1998
    * SWEB supply business - July 1999
    * Sutton Bridge Power Station - April 2000
    * Cottam Power Station - December 2000
    * West Burton Power Station - December 2001
    * EPN Distribution - January 2002
    * SEEBoard - July 2002
    * British Energy - January 2009


The Antagonist - July 17, 2010 09:12 PM (GMT)
Last Updated: Wednesday, 4 July 2007, 00:00 GMT 01:00 UK
How is a controlled explosion carried out?
The Magazine answers...

Police have been carrying out "controlled explosions" on suspicious vehicles. What does that mean?

An explosion would seem, by nature, to be uncontrolled.

But in the past few days officers have carried out several "controlled explosions" in the investigation into the failed car bombings in Glasgow and London.

It was also a method used two years ago on a car left by the 7 July bombers in Luton. The vehicle had a rucksack filled with explosives and the police subjected it to two controlled explosions.

So what happens? After suspicions are raised that a vehicle may contain explosives, a cordon will be placed around the car and all members of the public moved outside it.

On arrival, bomb squad officers will assess the situation. Uppermost in their minds will be how to recover the vehicle intact, says former Met Police commander Bob Milton, with 25 years of counter-terrorism experience.

"The aim is to recover the explosives device intact and get as much [evidence] out of it."

First, the inside of the car must be accessed. Opening the boot by hand would be dangerous because of a potential booby trap, so a robot is used to minimise the risk to the bomb disposal officers, says Sidney Alford, an explosives expert.

The robot - for years a familiar sight on the streets of Northern Ireland - may be equipped with a small gun to fire at the vehicle, to open the boot or smash a window. Or it could place a small, preliminary explosive charge on to the boot, at the end of a detonation cord.

If the car has been parked for a few days and presents a very low risk, the explosives could be placed on the vehicle by hand.

Once the vehicle has been accessed, officers prepare for the main controlled explosion. The robot can use its camera to give experts standing at a distance a sight of what is inside.

If there is no device inside the vehicle then the matter has been successfully resolved. But if there is then the question is how to disable or "disrupt" it with a targeted controlled explosion.

"The British approach is almost always to try to get the initiating mechanism [eg a mobile phone] and disable it," says Mr Alford.

A policy used in Iraq is to block all mobile phone signals in the immediate area to prevent such devices being detonated remotely.

What the controlled explosion does is remove the initiating circuit and the detonator, says Hans Michels, a professor of safety engineering.

"If you have a device that is completely assembled and ready to go, it has an initiating circuit, either electrical or mechanical, which gives a high temperature or shock to set off the detonator and the detonator charge will set off the main charge."

A screen such as a heavy steel plate is placed between the initiator and the main charge, to minimise the damage, says Dr Michels.

A successful controlled explosion will leave the main charge intact and blow only the sensitive part of the device away.

The whole exercise can be carried out by the robot, which can also shoot the detonator and disrupt the device that way. That would still be classed as a controlled explosion.

user posted image
Graphic showing police cordon, bomb disposal robot and suspect car

1. A police cordon is placed around the area
2. The robot can take pictures, place charges or shoot
3. The car boot is targeted first and can be blown open
4. Windows are smashed to see inside. If there is a device seen then a small charge is used to destroy the detonator but keep the main charge intact

Bridget - October 6, 2010 10:14 AM (GMT)
Last Updated: Tuesday, 5 July, 2005, 20:23 GMT 21:23 UK

Bomb scare leads to city gridlock

The centre of Sheffield came to a standstill during rush hour traffic on Tuesday after a suspect bag was found outside official buildings.

Army bomb disposal units were called to Bridge Street after a package was found near Home Office buildings and the police headquarters in the city.

A 100m cordon was put around the site with main bus routes and roads closed.

Police said the city was "gridlocked" for two hours with diversions in place. The bag turned out to be a empty.

A spokesman said two controlled explosions were carried out at the scene which was also near the city's magistrates court.

BBC NEWS | England | South Yorkshire | Bomb scare leads to city gridlock

Hosted for free by zIFBoards