InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to The Devil's Favorite Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

add reply
new poll

Journey Into Darkness
Raising_KANE
Posted: Feb 1 2012, 05:02 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

Has anyone read it? O:

I read it once a few years back when it first came out, got it pre-ordered actually, and read it again a couple days ago to re-confirm my opinion on it.
I think it put fantastic insight into Kane's character, especially the latter half.
This contains SPOILERS, so if you haven't read it and don't want to be spoiled, please don't read any further. I would love to discuss it in detail for people who have read it, and what they thought of it.

I did have a couple of problems with it, mostly because of what we were told about Kane's childhood from the fire on TV, whereas in the book, we were told something else, that being that he spent his childhood locked in Paul Bearer's basement but instead, he is placed in foster care, so I had to decide what I thought of that particular issue from what we've been told. Other than that, nothing else bothered me.

I really liked the whole Kane/Katie Vick story, and it makes a lot more sense and is really depressing. The second part of the book, covering Kane's debut, is amazing. I especially loved the idea of Paul giving Kane a lot of drug-induced shakes and reactions, and how this coincided with his "unplanned" attack of other wrestlers and his vendetta with 'Taker. It covered a lot of ground, in my opinion.

The curse... I love the fact that it wasn't real, honestly. Blaming Kane's family situation and tragedies on a curse would be a bit too far-fetched to me, so I'm glad it all turned out to be a made-up story by Paul, and I can't explain the feelings that went through me and how I cheered when he finally told Paul where to go.

Speaking of feelings, I actually cried a little at his whole situation with Magarette. That was very, very hard to read. Child abuse is something I've dealt with myself, so it was hard to sift through, but it only helped to create the Kane we know and love, so I'm all for it. Plus, I thought that was definitely part of his character - whether or not you consider the book canon or not, all Kane has struggled with and fought so hard to escape, he had to have been mistreated in more ways than one down the line, and for years, I suspected his character had some sort of post-childhood abuse condition that helped to create why he does the things he does, not just the fire.

Oh. That last line? POWERFUL. I had legitimate shivers at that part.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

options
add reply
new poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1027 seconds | Archive
--arbitration ] skinned by novia of rcr and shadowplay.