Welcome to Better Than Revenge! We are a literate roleplaying site based in the future in 2030 dystopian society of London. The government controls who you marry and what job you do. There are no freedoms. There are no dreams. But now, there are people willing to risk their lives underground to live their lives the way they want.
Make sure you register with proper capitalisation and with your full name as such: John Smith. Make to sure to read the rules, have a look at the canons and claims, and then get to work on your profile! Have fun roleplaying!
This is a mature site meaning there will be adult content, violence, and foul language. Although we don't plan to go overboard, we do require you be at least 14 before joining. Click the button below to see our detailed rating.
Please check your spam folders for important board email.
All original content by Rho. All images are from the public domain, but edited by the staff and Becca of CAUTION! to make the board look pretty. Check the bottom of the page for the epic skinner.
Posts are copyright to individual members. Individual graphics are also copyright to them unless otherwise stated.
Do not steal from this site. We will hunt you down.
Any questions or concerns? Contact the staff and we will help in any way we can!
Member No.: 1
Joined: 5-November 11
stating the obvious .
All of our rules are found right here. It may look like a long list, but we think that itís safer to write enough so that everyone knows exactly what we expect. Most of the rules are obvious but others are more board-specific.
As soon as you join, youíre automatically telling us that you agree to these rules. If you have any questions about anything written here, feel free to ask us! Weíre open and friendly, so donít be worried!
- If you choose to register, please do so with your characterís first and last name only in the usual capitalisation. For example, John Smith.
- Check through our member database and the canon list to try and avoid using the same surname as someone else, just so we donít go ahead and get confused.
- Youíll notice the button at the top of our sidebar. That explains our rating, as general ratings like PG-13, 15 and so on donít really make sense on boards. Check this page for detailed information.
- To become part of our community, you must register and fill out an application form for your character. You may not post anywhere else until an administrator has moved your application to the Accepted forum. Otherwise, youíll be deleted and banned.
- When you register, you automatically agree to all of these rules.
- We have an extensive canon list full of characters for you to choose from. Please check there before adding your original characters.
- Original characters are allowed, as long as they fit into the setting and make sense with the plot.
- Characters that do not fit into the boardís plot and setting will not be accepted.
- Characters need to stay in character in roleplaying posts.
- Mary-Sues and Perfect Peters are not allowed. That goes without saying.
- If you have difficulty in creating a character, please contact the staff. Weíre here to help in any way that we can.
- At the age of sixteen all characters are given the name of their future spouse and what their occupation will be. The two individuals are required to be married to one another by the time the younger of the two turns 24. They are required to have a child before they are 40 or are required to adopt. What kind of relationship the pair has before being married is up to the roleplayers.
- Upon being accepted your character will be assigned an occupation and a spouse.
- All posts must be in third person, past tense. For example, John sat at the table and waited.
- God-moding is not allowed. You may only control your own character, not anyone elseís.
- Meta-gaming is also banned. You cannot use information from out-of-character setting information or discussions in your posts. Remember to keep to what your character knows, not what you know.
- We donít have a specific word count, but you need to write enough so that others can respond to you. This means that we donít allow one-liners. Ideally, every post should be more than 350 words, but everyone has off days.
- We are a literate board, but you donít need to go over the top. Longer posts are encouraged, but a thousand words of purple prose and one line that someone else can respond to isnít acceptable.
- Try and match your posting word count to the other players in your threads. This is a polite gesture, and will make others want to post with you in the future.
- doHTML is enabled on our forums. Please double check that all of your coding works so it keeps everything pretty.
- Every character needs a play-by face. You may not use ordinary people. There are plenty of celebrities, singers and models out there to use. Never use yours or your friendsí faces. Cartoons are also not allowed.
- Canon characters were given specific faces for a reason. You may negotiate a face with the administrators if you really canít stand someone, but we have the final say.
- You may not use a face already used either in the canon list, or already claimed in the face claim unless they are a characterís twin. Twins must be approved by the staff.
- Avatars may be 200 pixels wide and 300 pixels tall. Signatures may be up to 500 pixels wide and 300 pixels tall. Any that are too large will be removed by the staff.
- Always give credit to whoever made your graphics, whether it is in the signature itself or under the Interests section of your profile.
- If you cannot make your own graphics, please just ask someone, or make a request somewhere like Caution.
- You donít need to have an avatar or signature if you donít want to have one, although you do need to claim a face for your character.
- No plagiarism of any kind will be tolerated. The staff check every application for plagiarism, so we will find out. If you have a character originally from another board and simply edited the history for here, please let us know. That is absolutely fine and everyone has done that from time to time. PM an administrator with this information when you post your application. We donít want to upset anyone, but this ensures that no oneís work is stolen. Thank you for understanding this check.
- Treat everyone with respect. Every member is equal, from the administrators to the moderators and the ordinary members. We are all human beings and we all deserve to be treated fairly. The staff are genuine and friendly. Friends of the staff will be treated in the same way that unknown members are treated.
- Any racism, sexism or other isms will not be tolerated. In-character behaviours are perfectly acceptable if that is how the character truly is. Outside of that, we refuse to deal with bigots.
- Members must stay active. We expect at least one post per week. If you disappear for a week and say nothing, then we will presume that you have left.
- If you need a break, or will be disappearing for a while, post in the absences forum. We understand if you need to escape for work, school, university or anything else. As long as you let us know, weíll happily support you.
- Guests and members can use the cbox on our sidebar. Either gossip or ask questions, as long as you respect one another, weíre happy.
- For guests using the cbox to ask questions, if a member of staff is there, theyíll answer everything that they can. If thereís something more specific, the FAQ forum is open to you.
- Do not advertise in the cbox. Feel free to link the site in your name, but nothing else. If you advertise, your messages will be deleted.