InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Better Than Revenge, a Big Brother-esque dystopia set in the near future. We hope you enjoy your visit.

This is a unique board that brings members together in a whole new way. Characters are brought together in state-sanctified marriage and even occupations are forced on citizens. You can’t marry the one you love. You can’t work where you want to work. You do as the government tells you, the corrupt government that cares only for itself.

Will you enjoy life the way that the politicians tell you to? Will you run the risk of meeting a lover, or living the life you want in the underground?

Join our community and find out!

Name:   Password:

welcome
Welcome to Better Than Revenge! We are a literate roleplaying site based in the future in 2030 dystopian society of London. The government controls who you marry and what job you do. There are no freedoms. There are no dreams. But now, there are people willing to risk their lives underground to live their lives the way they want.

Make sure you register with proper capitalisation and with your full name as such: John Smith. Make to sure to read the rules, have a look at the canons and claims, and then get to work on your profile! Have fun roleplaying!

This is a mature site meaning there will be adult content, violence, and foul language. Although we don't plan to go overboard, we do require you be at least 14 before joining. Click the button below to see our detailed rating.

updates

Please check your spam folders for important board email.

links

staff

rho --- head admin.
( profile , send pm )

lisa --- co-admin.
( profile , send pm )

cbox

affiliates
Shadowplay Topsites

credits
All original content by Rho. All images are from the public domain, but edited by the staff and Becca of CAUTION! to make the board look pretty. Check the bottom of the page for the epic skinner.

Posts are copyright to individual members. Individual graphics are also copyright to them unless otherwise stated.

Do not steal from this site. We will hunt you down.

Any questions or concerns? Contact the staff and we will help in any way we can!

NEW REPLYNEW TOPICNEW POLL

NEXT TIME, I'LL BE BRAVER, Colin!
Ariana Sinclair
Posted: Dec 4 2011, 04:19 PM

Group Icon

Group: Civilian
Member No.: 7

i'll be my own saviour,
When the thunder calls for me Next time I'll be braver I'll be my own savior Standing on my own two feet I won't let you close enough to hurt me, No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
I can't give you the heart you think you gave me,
Ariana ran a hand through her hair as she walked down the street, annoyed at how it kept falling into her face. For once, it wasn't ridiculously windy or cold, so that was a plus. What made her day a bad one, however, was the task that she had been set by her tutor at UCL. She had to interview someone in the public eye, or at least with some measure of power. She had definitely drawn the short straw with this one; no one else in her group had been set anything nearly as hard. Her tutor's reasoning was that he believed she could manage to pull it off. Stupid man, he obviously didn't realise it would be impossible. She'd spent the past three hours with her two brothers trying to figure it out, for chrissakes! There was no way she could get access to any celebrity, or even a member of the government - which is what her tutor really wanted. Honestly, why did he expect so much of her....

Grumbling under her breath, Ari walked into the nearest coffee shop, hoiking her bag up higher on her shoulder. Taking a table by the window, she ordered a strong black coffee and a thick slice of chocolate cake. Surely being so stressed about this assignment gave her the right to? Waiting patiently for her order, she stared out of the window, drumming chewed and bitten nails on the table top. Her mind drifted to more vague things, ideas of far off places and fantasy creatures, childish dreams of magic and teenage wonderings of fierce mythical battle. Ariana was still a little naive inside, and she did indeed still love her fantasy novels.

So lost in her imaginings was she that Ariana did not notice another person enter. On first impressions, one would have thought the man was a mere nobody; such was the way he held himself. Shy, awkward - a little like Ariana's own younger brother. In fact, she did not notice him until the waitress came over with her order, startling her out of her musings, and she glanced around, curious.

it's time to say goodbye to turning tables,
Words: 355Outfit: here Tag: Colin Notes: Bleh. Credit: STALK ME REDNECK! for the lovely template.
Colin Starling
Posted: Dec 5 2011, 10:01 AM

Group Icon

Group: Government
Member No.: 9

The only part of his job that Colin really disliked was the counselling part – he was happy with the research, but sometimes patients could get under his skin far too easily. Not that you would ever guess it (he had worked very hard to be able to pretend that nothing ever bothered him), but on rare occasions, sometimes he just had to leave his office for an hour to get a patient out of his head. On days like today, it felt as if everyone he met was desperately unhappy – Colin rarely heard about good things on days when all he did was talk to patients. He could almost feel a dark cloud pressing down on him, so he took advantage of his lunch hour to head out onto the streets of London.

When he was feeling like this, Colin had found that the most soothing thing was to head to a public place and watch people getting on with their lives. The more people he saw smiling, the more his mood raised. It was a habit he’d fallen into back when he’d been a practising psychiatrist, and he needed it even more nowadays, when his patients were even less happy with their lot. And as today didn’t have the best weather for sitting in the park, Colin headed to a café five minutes from his office, arriving windswept at its’ door just as it had completely filled with people.

Holding the mug of tea he had purchased at the counter, Colin cast around for a table – the only available seat he could see was at the window, opposite a preoccupied-looking young woman. Moving carefully through the crush of people, he arrived at her table just when a waitress brought the girl’s order. Avoiding collision, Colin gestured to the other seat at the table and offered Ariana a small, slightly awkward smile. ‘Do you m-mind if I sit here?’ he asked trying not to look as uncomfortable as he felt.

Lucas would have been in his element, asking a pretty girl if he could sit at her table, but this kind of thing had never been Colin’s favourite activity. In his experience, girls like Ariana did not take kindly to nervous-looking, stuttering men asking to breathe the same oxygen as them.
Ariana Sinclair
Posted: Dec 5 2011, 10:28 PM

Group Icon

i'll be my own saviour,
When the thunder calls for me Next time I'll be braver I'll be my own savior Standing on my own two feet I won't let you close enough to hurt me, No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
As Ariana took her cake and coffee from the waitress, she looked up at the man standing in front of her. Ever the analyst, she gathered in a mere split second that he was rather shy, and somewhat uncomfortable. And that was just from the way he held himself. When he opened his mouth Ariana's guess was only confirmed by the slight stutter it held. She nodded slightly, offering him a warm smile, designed to put him at ease.

"Of course you can sit here, I'm not bothered by it," It was true, Ari wasn't bothered by the presence of another male - she had, after all, spent much of her time with boys growing up, and still did as a matter of fact. She understood them much better than she did her own gender - always had done. Carefully, Ari moved the plate of cake towards her a bit so as to clear space, and sipped her coffee.

"Ah bugger," The red head muttered to herself under her breath as the scalding hot liquid hit her tongue. She never had learnt the art of patience as a child, and she wasn't about to start now. Pulling one leg up on to the chair, her foot tucked under her thigh, Ari looked curiously at the man in front of her for a moment before her mind clicked into action. She could almost hear her mother's voice inside her head telling her to mind her manners.

"Gosh, I'm so sorry. I'm Ariana, Ariana Sinclair." She smiled brightly, offering a hand to Colin as she restrained herself from adding 'nineteen year old budding journalist and student at University College London, and private novelist to boot.' Jackson always did tell her she talked to much; but she was trying to reign it in around new people - as well as hide her irritation at that damn project. If there was one thing her mother had said that Ariana had listened to, it was that you never let people know everything in the first five seconds of meeting them. It tended to scare them off - and Ari had managed that plenty of times in the past to realise that she didn't like it when it did happen.

Ariana tilted her head slightly, the red silk sheets of hair falling to one side as she did so. She looked at Colin with a tiny, almost imperceptible glimmer of curiosity in her eyes. She was wondering who he was and what he was doing here - which was pretty much what Ari did with every person she met. She was always on the hunt for a story of some sort, though when she was younger she blamed it on a lack of inspiration and curious streak that had a tendency to get her into some pretty tight spots - the kind that needed a big brother or a dad to come get oneself out of.

Ari's face fell slightly, her eyes becoming duller and more lifeless as thoughts of her father came to her unbidden. She didn't want to think of her father; even if she did miss him dearly. It still pained her greatly to think of him, even after all these years.

Words: 539Outfit: here Tag: Colin Notes: Bleh. Credit: STALK ME REDNECK! for the lovely template.
Colin Starling
Posted: Dec 6 2011, 12:55 PM

Group Icon

Little as he would have wanted to admit it, Colin was relieved when Ariana offered him the seat – for a moment, he had been worried that she would refuse. Colin’s wife had once remarked that it was strange to see a man like him become so nervous around people he didn’t know, but that had been at the beginning of their ‘courtship.’ Now she was used to him, and she accepted what everyone else thought was the truth: Colin was so clever that he was on a slightly different level from everyone else, and normal things like social situations were completely baffling to him. Sometimes she even seemed to find it an endearing trait.

The more people believed that version of the truth, the better. Colin was very good at acting the part of the ‘reclusive genius’, and he would hide behind it for as long as was humanly possible. But thinking about that phrase ‘reclusive genius’ made him flinch inside – it brought the events of his last appointment back to him, and he had been trying to push it out of his mind. ‘I’m not a genius,’ he had told the patient who had called him that, and the man had just smiled. ‘You are reclusive, though,’ had come the reply, and the man had given Colin a look which said that he knew a lot about him, and would say more if pressed. As much as Colin liked the fact that some of his patients had heard good things about him, he was beginning to dislike this reputation. It was getting out of hand if people like his last patient had felt able to say the things he had said.

The only trouble was, he could see no way to combat it. If he wanted to become known as a ruthless man then he would need to be ruthless, and Colin didn’t have it in him. Every time one of his patients did something to get themselves in trouble – especially when it went past the point when he could intervene to save them – it hurt him, took his breath away like a kick to the chest.

Ariana’s introduction startled a smile out of Colin – he hadn’t expected her to speak to him. He reached over the table and shook her hand: ‘Colin Starling,’ he told her, still smiling. It didn’t even occur to him that she might know his name – only people who made their living out of politics (and occasionally journalism) tended to recognise it, and even then it was a rare occurrence, something that Colin thanked his stars for as often as he could. This girl looked too young to be in either trade, so Colin figured he was safe. ‘Thank you for letting me intrude,’ he added, grateful that he was having a good day with his stutter – he lingered slightly on the ‘l’ of ‘letting’, but otherwise he was fine.

She was pretty. Colin contemplated her expression for a moment before noticing that her eyes had momentarily lost their sparkle. ‘Are you alright?’ he asked despite himself, worrying as soon as he spoke the words that she wouldn’t welcome curiosity. But Colin of all people knew that sometimes a person just needed someone to listen to them.

It was his job, after all.
Ariana Sinclair
Posted: Dec 10 2011, 10:14 PM

Group Icon

i'll be my own saviour,
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Colin," Ariana said with a warm smile. She was sure she knew that name, but she had no idea where from, be it newspaper article or her tutor at university. It irritated the red head to no end that she just couldn't quite place it. Dismissing it, the red head simply smiled and shrugged.

"It's no problem, the company can be quite nice sometimes." She said, her mood brightening a little. It was true, having company was much better than sitting on one's lonesome and being bored out of one’s mind. A bored Ariana was never a good thing – when she was younger she had managed to set fire to their kitchen because she was ‘bored’. Noticing Colin's stutter, Ariana wondered if anything had happened in his past that had caused him to be so nervous, before giving herself a mental slap upside the head. She had no right to question what the man was like, inquisitive nature or not. Then again, that was probably why she was going to become a journalist. As Colin spoke again, Ari shook her head slightly, flaming red hair bouncing a little.

"I'm fine, but thank you for asking. I just got thinking about some things in the past, is all," Ariana said lightly, brushing it off as though it were nothing. Of course, it wasn't - grieving for one's father, even if it's several years later, is never simply 'nothing' - but Ariana was never the type to talk about it. She had had her breakdown in the months that had followed her father's death, and then she and her brothers had got back on their feet and soldiered on, quietly mourning their loss while getting their lives back together. Their mother certainly hadn't been able to, so what other choice had they had?

Cautiously, Ariana sipped her coffee. Yes, cool enough now - and so the red head gulped it down, in a very unladylike manner. But when had she ever been anything else? She smiled at Colin a little before taking a mouthful of cake, chewing and swallowing in a much less ungainly fashion.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is it you do? You don't seem to quite...fit in here," Ariana asked politely, but with a hint of curiosity to her voice. Twirling the fork in her fingers, she looked at Colin, bright eyes scanning his face as she wondered if her would answer or not.

Words: 415Outfit: here Tag: Colin Notes: Bleh. Credit: STALK ME REDNECK! for the lovely template.

Colin Starling
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 09:13 AM

Group Icon

If Colin had known that Ariana was wondering as to the source of his stutter, he would have been amused. He had never really considered the idea that it was down to any particular thing – if all of his burdens suddenly lifted, he was pretty sure that he would still have trouble with getting words out. Colin had plenty of reasons for being the jumpy man he was, but his stutter was probably one of the causes of that, not an effect. He smiled when she said that company was nice. Even if she wasn’t telling the truth it was still polite, and Colin rather surprisingly thought that she was being honest.

How old was this girl? It was a sorry state of affairs of someone as young as the girl in front of him could look sad thinking about the past – she had hardly had any past to be sad about, not yet. Suddenly Colin wanted to ask what had happened, curiosity welling up inside of him – but he wasn’t the kind of man to pry, especially when he had only known this young lady for a few moments. So he drowned his inquisitive questions in his cup of tea, sipping the scalding liquid while Ariana took a bite of her cake.

He looked up when she asked him a question, smile returning at her comments. Young or not, she was certainly perceptive, and Colin was impressed. ‘I’m a psychologist,’ he told her, taking another sip of his tea. ‘I w-work for the government.’ It didn’t make him popular, but Colin liked to make people aware of his place of work when he first met them – it meant that they were less likely to say something they would regret him hearing (and he was getting tired of keeping other peoples’ secrets as it was). It also meant that they could make an excuse to leave if they wanted to – something which happened more often than was comfortable.

Still, he wasn’t going to tell her exactly what he did for the authorities. His project was high-profile, but it divided people – obviously, nobody could say that they disagreed with the idea of the ‘cure’, but that didn’t mean they liked what he was doing. The worst occasions were when he met someone who knew one of his patients. They regarded him with suspicion at best, with hatred at worst.

‘What about you?’ Colin asked, hoping that the career chosen for her would be something where she could use her obvious brain power. He knew from experience that the system didn’t always give people what was best for them. ‘Are you working, or studying?’
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

TOPIC OPTIONS NEW REPLYNEW TOPICNEW POLL

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1803 seconds | Archive
"tied up in a lasso" skinned by emily (ohmyemily & serendipity *) of RCR, CAUTION, & ATF.