InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Antediluvium. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

No one can assume the high ground, Tag: Theye!
Tora
Posted: Apr 8 2012, 10:08 AM

45 | Beekeeper | Bee
Group Icon

Group: God's Gardener
Member No.: 2

waiting for the white light
Her fingers curled through her rough hair. Every twirl built tension, pulling on her scalp. She wound as tight as it would go and then, with a quick slip of the fingers, let it all go. Calm and light again.

Meetings with the Adams and the other Eves were difficult sometimes. How to deal with the outside world, how to deal with the inside. It was all so complex. She preferred things to be simple. It was, after all, why she'd chosen this life. The Adams and Eves had a responsibility though, on top of that simplicity. They needed to make sure the community stayed functional.

She didn't want to think about what the whole community needed right now. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath. Prayer was a community thing, something everyone tended to do together. Prayers together, sung at meals, at sunrise and sunset, any time together. Prayers were for thanking, not for asking. If you had questions, meditation was the answer instead. That was how she understood the dogma, at least.

In her mind, an image formed. Bright white-yellow strands floating against the bluest of skies. Theyette. The healer. A doctor even, although that term sounded so rigid and Compound-esque.

Honey for a wound kept it clean from infection. Tora patted her bag, where one jar of honey remained from her distribution today. One jar for Theyette.

She found the section of apartments, and knocked on the doorframe of the one Theyette had been given.

"Theyette, dear. It's Eve Six." Meeting with the other Eves had stuck the name in her head. "It's Tora. Are you here? I have a jar for you."

For Theye! | wearing this | <3
made by marv @ atf
Theyette Merjuedi
Posted: Apr 8 2012, 11:26 AM

31 | Doctor | Theye
Group Icon

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 14

Theyette scratched her cheek, and then pulled away her hand. Even the most basic doctoring understands that if you scratch a wound with dirty hands, it becomes infected. She sighed, and traversed a few feet to a basin where she cleans her hands and dries them with a warm cloth.
She turned to her supplies, beside the basin- one can never wash one's hands enough- and extended a finger to count her pristine jars and cans of bandages and homemade remedies.
Upon hearing a knock on the door, she pulled off the apron around her waste and set it beside her basin, turning to the door and walking over to open it.

"Theyette, dear. It's Eve Six. It's Tora. Are you here? I have a jar for you." She pulled it open and balanced the door on her shoulder.

"Oh, hello, Tora." She murmured, and gave a quick smile to her. "Would you like to come inside and have some water? I'm sure you have at least a quick second." It took her a second to step back and open the door, before she shook her head and chuckled. Eve six- something she didn't hear very often. She looked around the small, cluttered and cozy "office" that suited her profession, almost self conscious.
Tora
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 07:53 PM

45 | Beekeeper | Bee
Group Icon

Tora smiled as Theyette opened the door. The fairy blonde hair remined her of daylight in the middle of summer. It gave Theyette an air of sweetness and innocence, but looks could be deceptive. Gardeners, as a rule, weren't deceptive by nature. Most people here weren't born as Gardeners though. Tora knew that looking innocent didn't mean a person didn't have a past. There were individuals here who had forgotten what life was like outside the sanctuary of the Gardener homes. Tora never forgot. She never let herself forget. It was a past that brought her here.

All the same, once someone stepped into this life, their past was irrelevant. It wasn’t forgotten. It just simply wasn’t deemed important enough to judge. Everyone was clean and equal here.

Theyette looked more clean than most, literally. Her hands were red from fresh scrubbing. Tora balled her own hands into fists to hide the permanent state of grime on her fingers. They weren't dirty, just stained from years of outdoor work. She let her fists go, feeling silly. They were Gardeners. Her job was to keep the bees but it was still pretty common for her to work among the plants they pollenated. She was a literal gardener and it stood to reason that her hands would be evidence.

"Thank you, hon." She murmurred as she stepped into the small room. It was fascinating how each person took what was virtually an identical space and make it so much their own. “Some water would be very refreshing.”

Reaching into her bag, she presented the jar of golden treasure, "I brought some of my honey for you. I didn't know if you needed it, but you can't have too much. Maybe I'm biased. It's perfectly good quality for both cooking and medicine though." She felt herself smile without meaning to. "I don't know how you've handled it, but try getting one of these kids to take an herbal remedy without burying it in something sweet... I don't know how you'd ever get them to cooperate."
For Theye! | wearing this | Theyette is so darling. I just want to snuggle her.
made by marv @ atf
Theyette Merjuedi
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 08:46 PM

31 | Doctor | Theye
Group Icon

Theyette Merjuedi: no one can assume the high ground..

Theyette smiled, and took the jar from Tora, hefting it and examining it with a soft "Oh" of astonishment. "Thank you, Tora. Heaven only knows we can never have enough good supplies in store." She gave Tora a bright smile and set it on one of her wall shelves, before picking out a clean, reused glass and filling it with what she hoped is the cold, sweet kind of water. She turned and held the glass out for Tora, smiling. The woman took it, Theyette replied, "Oh no, medicine doesn't go down without a spoonful of something sweet. Sometimes kids won't do it when they know it's just medicine, so I often tell parents to grind it and maybe sprinkle it over oatmeal or grits, if they'd like." Theye pauses, smiling, and then turns to wipe her sink and clean up the water splashed about from cleaning her hands and pouring water. She, once satisfied with her counter, turned back to her guest. "How are your bees, Tora? Well, I hope?"

Posted: Apr 13 2012, 06:09 PM

45 | Beekeeper | Bee
Group Icon

Tora sipped the water. It didn't have the neutral taste water had when she was a child. It tasted a little dusty and more than a little metallic. She enjoyed it though. It was refreshing and she knew it was safe. One of the Adams she had just met with kept the Gardener water supply clear and fresh. There were several reservoirs and Tora knew just which one served this apartment, although that knowledge was kept secret.

All the Gardeners were equal, but some of them didn't need to know as much. They chose a simple life. When Tora has accepted the offer to become an Eve, she left behind the light load of simplicity in exchange for the heavy weight of knowledge.

She grinned at Theyette's story. The children here were probably a good deal more tolerant of strange foods than the Pleebrats that ran wild out on the streets, but they could be stubborn little rascals.

"My bees are doing very well, actually. I've been collecting wax lately in addition to honey." Tora took a long gulp of water to finish off the glass, "I'll bring you a few candles if you'd like. We like to save a stock of them for emergencies, but the bees have been so active lately I'll have more than enough to go around."
made by marv @ atf
Theyette Merjuedi
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:44 PM

31 | Doctor | Theye
Group Icon

no one can assume the high ground..

Theyette sighed and ran a hand through her hair, tilting her head to the side so she could shake it from her face. She nodded. Theyette hated secrets; had too many and just hated keeping them. There are things that people shouldn't have to know, granted, but that doesn't mean she has to like it. As a rule of thumb, she never divulged the secrets of treatment to Gardiners about each other, even though the Compound's rule of patient privacy didn't apply in the Pleebs. She felt that privacy is a privilege the people she helped earned respectively. She did tell an Eve or Adam if there was a mental or physical disease they should watch for. Records were an issue with Theyette- she, having been trained, knew she should keep them. It didn't make it easy- she almost felt as if she was violating her fellow Gardiners by keeping them. Knowledge is a powerful weapon, after all. "Oh, candles? Ah, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one or two. They are just so lovely." Theyette smiled as she said so, "I am definitely grateful for the honey and the offer, candles sound delighftul. And I'm glad your bees are well, that's a good sign." She paused, and then offered Tora a soft laugh. "They seem to like you, or at least, that's what I hear."

Posted: Apr 24 2012, 07:54 PM

45 | Beekeeper | Bee
Group Icon

Tora's eyes wandered around the room, despite her best efforts to restrain them. It was a habit of hers, trying to see things out of the ordinary. The Gardeners were one unit and as an Eve, Tora was supposed to watch out for anything that could harm the whole. The habit was one that she had strived to create, and one she was now interested in quitting. Danger came from the outside, not from within.

She fixed her gaze on Theyette. This woman seemed lost, or at a loss. She wasn't a bad person though. Tora felt a pang of guilt over her mindless suspicions. Sometimes she wondered if she had taken on too much of the Gardener mindset and lost a bit of herself.

It was the meeting with the Adams and the other Eves. Surely that was the reason. They spent so much time obsessing over the safety of the flock that Tora started seeing danger everywhere. No, what she needed to do was reach out a hand. Friendship was stronger than paranoia.

"I like to think my bees love me as much as I love them, but you never know. They are very interested in visitors though." She shrugged, "In any case, the rooftop where the hives are is a lot more spacious than the little living quarters we have down here. You should come up sometime. If you'd like. Don't feel obligated, of course. But if you'd like a brief adventure, swarming insects are a good way to go."
For Theye! | wearing this | Sorry the reply took so long! I'm back properly now.
made by marv @ atf
Theyette Merjuedi
Posted: May 12 2012, 08:36 AM

31 | Doctor | Theye
Group Icon

Theye's face broke into a wide smile, and she nodded at Tora's words, tossing a vague glance around her quarters. "That would be wonderful," she murmured in Tora's direction, When I get a hour or so free, I'd love to come and help you." Theyette pressed a hand to her neck, digging her fingers into the muscles there and tilting her head away to pull her fingers down. She turned her attention back to Tora, and her stance shifted as she asked her next question: "Are you feeling all right, Tora? Nothing going on I should know of?" Theyette smiled, sheepishly. "I mean only that it's quite easy to get sick when working hard and foraging amongst the buildings..." She shrugged. "Even the little things can be troubling after a while, you know?"

Posted: May 13 2012, 03:32 PM

45 | Beekeeper | Bee
Group Icon

Theyette's grin tapped at something in Tora's chest, pulled at the muscles between her ribs. She wanted to fold the woman into her arms. Despite Theyette's fierce exterior, Tora suspected there was a good deal of vulnerability underneath. She was still scared. Tora recognized it. The feeling faded over time, mostly. Maybe the children of the Gardeners would grow up differently. They wouldn't know the outside world the way Tora and Theyette did and maybe they would never have that fear lurking just below the surface.

Once it took root, it faded, but it never left. In Tora's case, it flared up in the form of this paranoia. She let herself smile back at Theyette. Maybe if Tora helped her, the woman would never become like Tora herself. Maybe she could truly find the calm that Gardeners sought, maybe even feel it naturally. Tora knew the calm, but it was a daily struggle to keep it in place.

Apparently it showed. Tora found herself touched by Theyette's concern. The fact was that after having been her for nearly twenty years, Tora knew everyone. She took care of so many and she checked in on them constantly. But there were very few she considered truly a friend, and none that she let care for her in return. Theyette felt different.

"I'm doing okay, hon. Thank you." Tora sighed and let her tongue spill, just a little, "It takes a lot to be a leader sometimes. Not that I would give it up. I love being able to help, but sometimes I think my brain just needs a little escape. Do you ever get that feeling that if you let yourself stop moving that you just might never start again?"
For Theye! | wearing this | Hope you're okay! <3 I'm glad you're back. Missed you!
made by marv @ atf
Theyette Merjuedi
Posted: May 13 2012, 04:01 PM

31 | Doctor | Theye
Group Icon

no one can assume the high ground...

Theye's smile faltered ever so slightly, noticing the way Tora's stance changed. Oh, dear, is she sick? Theyette's worry abided a few seconds later, and she gave Tora a reassuring smile. "Tora, dear, everyone has to rest. I know you don't live a very indulgent life style," she took a breath, praying to the God Tora worshipped, not for the first time, that she didn't say the wrong thing, "but sometimesd people need a day just to laze around. It might not work with your responsibilities, but do try to take it easy. Even the great Eves and Adams need to be coddled once in a while."
Theye paused for a moment, before returning to her smile. She hugged her hands to herself, imagining the feeling Tora describes. She knows it well, how hard it is just to hold your head up when you know you need to, how hard it is just to keep smiling. As if it was a bug she could chase away, Theyette shook her head to rid herself of such memories.
"I know, Tora. I know how it feels. I found that the only way I got rid of the weight on my shoulders was coming here and forgiving myself. I guess that after I realized I couldn't save everyone, my heart stopped being able to take the stress of wondering, "Who next?". I donno what to tell you, Tora, other than the idea that even you deserve to sleep in and be brought breakfast in bed on your day off."

Posted: May 16 2012, 07:23 PM

45 | Beekeeper | Bee
Group Icon

Indulgent. It was hardly a word Tora knew. It wasn't just with the Gardeners. It had never been her way. Indulgence was waste. It meant taking without giving, using time and energy without being able to provide an equal return. She found it hard to do that without feeling entirely at a loss. Productivity was better. It could be stressful, but putting in work provided its reward.

"Oh, we're not so great. Just because we name ourselves after God's designs doesn't mean we're above any others." The speeches that Adam One gave seemed to have settled so deeply into her mind that she was spouting them herself, "God gave Adam and Eve the job of looking after all the creatures, of caring for all His creation. We simply do the same."

She smiled, running her hand through her hair until it hit the familiar snags. It had been years since she'd bothered with a brush. It had always been too wild. Her mother had been able to wrangle it into braids when Tora was small, but those days were long over.

She considered the rest of what Theye had said, realizing how poorly it fit with her defense of her endless work. "You're right I suppose. In the millions of years that make up God's seven days of Creation, I suppose He did say rest a little."

Tora laughed. It felt surprising, the cheerful way her muscles tensed for the sound. Those muscles were desperately weak from disuse. Maybe she should spend a little time indulging.
For Theye! | wearing this | I feel like Theyette is going to become someone Tora considers family... <3
made by marv @ atf
Theyette Merjuedi
Posted: May 27 2012, 08:43 AM

31 | Doctor | Theye
Group Icon

Theye pressed a hand to her back, smiling at Tora. She still spoke respectfully, of course, although she made an effort to treat everyone as an especially close friend, or extended family member. No one here is an enemy, she hopes, so at least her visitors can feel safe- if nothing else. Tora looked, it even showed on her face, tired. Perhaps just worry could cause the shadows, but Theye still hoped she'd take an evening for herself.
She glanced to the side, out of the window and to the sunny ground, illuminating the dirt and eroded pathways around the building tops. She sighed, but managed a smile. This was her home now, either way. And even if she didn't admit it, the Gardens felt like home. Felt safe, too. "You have a lot of duties here, Tora. Things, as stressful as they get, can never replace a good rest, or a good hour of self-indulgence." Theyette paused, thoughtfully, as she looked out the window, "Not to change the topic, but it just came to mind, the asphalt atop the buildings to the west are causing more and more problems for children who play there. Lots of skinned knees, elbows, even a chin at one point." She shrugged, smiling. "That is definitely true. Never mind that even holy spirits need a vacation from work."

Posted: May 31 2012, 08:30 PM

45 | Beekeeper | Bee
Group Icon

Tora rested her weight against the wall and let her muscles sink. She was sorely tempted to forgo the rest of her deliveries of wax and honey and instead remain in the calm of Theyette's nest.

Theyette had been with the Gardener's for a little while now, although Tora generally considered herself a poor judge of time. It wasn't that Theyette was doing anything wrong. There wasn't entirely a wrong was to even be a Gardener. Still, Tora felt the girl--woman--hadn't really finished being indoctrinated. Something was very refreshing about speaking to someone who didn't recite the same old words to Tora.

"Well, I suppose doctor knows best." She grinned, "If anyone asks, I'm under strict orders from you to kick my feet up then."

Tora spent way too much time with the other Adams and Eves, neglecting personal conversation for petty squabbles over which song to sing at the next feast day. Every day was a feast day. It got rather overwhelming. Theyette had the gentle tones of someone whose life work was the care of others. Vaguely, Tora remembered someone--a neighbor maybe--who used to speak to her like that when she was very young.

"The children are very lucky to have you looking after them, Theyette. I suspect the injuries might end up a lot more serious if you weren't around to patch them up." Gardener's meant well, but their idea of healing was often meditating on mending bones. A few bandages certainly perked things up. "I can speak to someone about perhaps finding them a more suitable play place. When I was young, I remember running rampant in grass fields. That was a long time ago, of course.

"What about you? What were things like for you as child?"

Tora was genuinely curious to get to know Theyette and childhood seemed a good enough place to start.
For Theye! | wearing this | Apologies for the delay!
made by marv @ atf
Theyette Merjuedi
Posted: Jun 3 2012, 11:06 AM

31 | Doctor | Theye
Group Icon

no one can assume the high ground

Theye knew that Tora could use a day or two off- that's not the issue. No, Theye was worried about the other Gardiner's reactions to her offering a precious Eve some time off. Not that Tora could shirk her responsibilities- Tora loved them all too much... "Ah, thanks... The children could use the break from skinned knees, I assume~" She murmured, beaming. It wasn't often she had visits from elders, and receiving praise, when she didn't quite fit in yet, was definitely a great improvement.
Theyette paused, remembering. Tora reminded her of how she used to see her mother, kind and silently knowing her. She smiled, a bit forced- but genuine- and shrugged. " My childhood wasn't all that special," she said, shrugging. "I grew up in a Compound east of here, so I never went hungry, or had to do drastic things." She leaned back against the counter behind her, feeling her spine pop once or twice as it settled into place. She spent so much of the day bending over wounds, it felt like a novelty to stand. She thought back to the days of her youth, and thought about the things she did, or heard, and wondered how she could ever be so foolish as to think being a Doctor could solve all of her woes. She wondered, if she had gone into SeCorps, would it have ended up this way?

Posted: Jun 4 2012, 09:02 PM

45 | Beekeeper | Bee
Group Icon

It was an odd sensation, but Tora felt she had known Theyette for a while. Old souls, perhaps. God did fascinating things sometimes. In general, Tora didn't feel that God was particularly meddlesome. There were bigger things to worry about than the every day affairs of humans. Human beings were designed to take care of themselves, to be the guardians of all living things, in fact. They weren't supposed to need their own guardian. But once in a while, Tora suspected that God liked to play his own games, to set up a few pieces and see where they fell. She and Theye could be two of those pieces.

Or perhaps they were simply two of the same kind. Ones with soft hearts. Tora tended to try to be something of a hard-hearted person, or at least shielded, but it wasn't really her nature. A bee could sting, but it sacrificed itself in doing so. Tora didn't really like playing that role.

"Ah, Compound life. It must be hard adapting to things out here." The Pleeblands were all Tora had ever known, but she was aware of how grand the Compounds were by comparison. As a young woman, she had seen them as the gold standard. Her struggles were all worth it if she could only get there. And yet. Here Theyette stood, proof that they weren't so perfect. Tora felt a tiny tug of pride at having chosen to stay out here. It had been the right choice. "Things used to be a little nicer out here, but that was mostly before my time. Things started getting worse when I was a child, when the Compounds really got into full swing. Tell me, if you don't mind me asking, what made you choose being out here?"

Tora did know she had made the right choice not to enter the Compound life, but surely choosing to leave it had to be a hard one.
made by marv @ atf
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3899 seconds | Archive

Listed on
RPG-D Total Drama Website - Directory of the Best Role-Play Sites RPGfix
SKIN MADE BY CHLOE (TANGENT.) OF RED CARPET & REBELLION AND A THOUSAND FIREFLIES