InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Writers Bbs. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

help
eag2002
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 08:33 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 134

I am new around here and looking for a little help with fiction I'm writing.

Story takes place Manhattan, New York circa early 1900`s

My main character is a foreign princess on the run from an uncle who has murdered her parents. Years go by she has disguised herself and works as a vaudeville performer where she meets a group of newsboys who become her 'family' but she never tells them who she really is. The newsboys become extremely protective of her after a series of 'accidents' that led up to an attempted poisoning(I'm thinking by drink or food) putting her in a comatose state but survives.

I've looked in various places and thought of cyanide or arsenic but those are fatal. If anybody has any ideas or knows where i can look it would be appreciated.
nancy
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 10:20 AM

Member No.: 82

Joan McCormick
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 08:01 PM

Member No.: 38

A more up to date day take on snow white it feels like. Yes that can work really well the bad girl
Donnalee
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 05:51 AM

Group: Moderation Team
Member No.: 8

Check on how arsenic works. In my home town a woman tried to kill her husband by putting a little bit of it in his food over a period of time. He got sick and it was discovered before it killed him. I think it is an ingredient in rat poison and so is easy to get. That might all be too dated now, or maybe its been over used (Arsenic and Old Lace comes to mind)
Joan McCormick
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 01:29 AM

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Donnalee @ Apr 25 2012, 07:51 PM)
Check on how arsenic works. In my home town a woman tried to kill her husband by putting a little bit of it in his food over a period of time. He got sick and it was discovered before it killed him. I think it is an ingredient in rat poison and so is easy to get. That might all be too dated now, or maybe its been over used (Arsenic and Old Lace comes to mind)

also plants in the garden so many are very toxic

Angels trumpets / bells

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/99911/

I remember years ago some bloke used a twig of it to stir his tea and died. every part of it -- rhubarb leaves are toxic as well
I bet I have at least ten poisonous plants in my yard, we all do
and it helps if she is a rotten cook. The burn taste will cover the bitter taste if any

basically if it has white sap it will be nasty.

Domenic
Posted: Oct 24 2012, 03:52 PM

Member No.: 212

Many new writers start writing the Great American novel…before they sharpen the tools needed. Poor Grammar and punctuation will never move a good story beyond the rejection stage.
Agents and Publishers want a good story. They will not except work with errors.
If you plan on hiring someone to edit for you…the cost is about sixteen cents per five letter word.
If you self publish without a proper edit your work will fade away.

Your short post on this thread shows you need help with grammar and punctuation. Most writers do…I fight this subject daily.

Let me recommend a good simple book. “Nitty-Gritty Grammar,” by Edith H. Fine, and Judith P. Josephson.
« Next Oldest | Fiction Writing Center | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1114 seconds | Archive