InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Writers Bbs. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

New forum
danse
Posted: Jan 27 2012, 02:54 PM

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Welcome to the new General writing forum specifically for writing related conversations and topics.

Joyceb/danse
WiseWoman
Posted: Feb 5 2012, 04:24 PM

Wise Woman

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

;-)
Halliday
Posted: Feb 10 2012, 03:48 AM

Member No.: 15

I agree with Wise Woman -- a very good idea!
Ellie
Posted: Feb 10 2012, 04:22 PM

Group: Moderation Team
Member No.: 10

Great idea.
Halliday
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 01:13 AM

Although it would look better if we could actually post something concerning "general writing" topics...
Ellie
Posted: Feb 11 2012, 01:31 PM

Okay. How about this. Recently I noticed that someone was looking for submissions being compiled to make a book. The kicker was that the compensation was a copy of the book when (and if) it makes it in print and a discount for extra copies. Such chutzpah!

No pay offered whatsoever, "a" copy and the icing on the cake, a discount if you want to order more! IMHO, a writer shouldn't give her/his work away without any financial remuneration. Period. If you as the writer, take the time to write a piece, then the person seeking the work who is in the publishing business, should have respect and pay you.

Halliday
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 04:14 AM

There's been a lot of that going around for quite a while.

But for the beginning writer or poet, it can help build a CV, it can help with gaining experience, it can help with networking, and can give some positive feedback where otherwise there's none at all. It's something a writer can do while he/she is learning to be a writer. Becoming a professionally paid writer is a long long long road. I think I'm more approving of these sorts of publications than you.

But there is a step where graduation from these sorts of publications to the "real world" is necessary. That's the step that divides the "professional" from the -- well, to call them amateurs is a bit of a denigration. Aspiring writers?

I've contributed plenty of short articles etc to non-profit organizations. I've helped them, but received a lot back that makes it worth it. My "name" is out there among other benefits.

Perhaps this could be a recommendation to the Aspiring Ones -- try to write for charities, for NGO's, for your church, for some venue where what you write will do some good for society, if not yet for your pocket.

Annie, taking a break from fiction for a moment...

Ellie
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 07:51 AM

"I've contributed plenty of short articles etc to non-profit organizations. I've helped them, but received a lot back that makes it worth it. My "name" is out there among other benefits.

Perhaps this could be a recommendation to the Aspiring Ones -- try to write for charities, for NGO's, for your church, for some venue where what you write will do some good for society, if not yet for your pocket."

Agreed - no problem there. In fact, great idea.
Donnalee
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 08:47 AM

Member No.: 8

I seem to be doing more "free" writing lately, or "barter" writing. I think times are hard for every body and the barter system has always worked for me. I used in my horse business all the time.

Recently I wrote PR - articles, letters, etc - for a major horse event. In exchange I got a free vendor space at the event and they announced my name on the PA to drive people to my booth. I sold books and did a lot of networking. And I was allowed in the arena to take pictures.

I write a column for a regional horse magazine in exchange for book ads.

I write little press release articles for the arts council, who are very supportive of my writing and photography.

And like Annie mentioned when I first began writing I wrote for "free copies" of the magazines and added them to my list of credits. No one ever asked if I'd been paid in money, LOL.

There is a time and place for everything, even writing for "free."
« Next Oldest | General Writing topics | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options Quick Reply

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1658 seconds | Archive