InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Writers Bbs. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Why? Why? Why?, Fiction blather...
Halliday
  Posted: Feb 12 2012, 06:02 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Why did a ghost suddenly appear in chapter nine? Do I want this ghost here? Does he/she contribute to the (apparently lacking) conflict in this chapter?

...drumming fingers on desk...

Why am I questioning what I set out to write some 60k words on?

Another ghost comes to whisper in my ear (echoing some of the best writer's advice I've ever received)... Let it flow, leave it all in, go where it takes you... It's easier to edit out than to create. Keep everything in the first draft...

Let's remind myself of my writer's style:
--Every time I'm in the middle of a chapter, I think it's the worst most muddled purposeless chapter I've ever attempted.
--Everytime I finish a chapter, I think it's the best chapter I've ever written.

There's only one way to get through this damn thing, and that's to muddle on...

Okay, ghost, you're on trial for now.

And the purpose of this post? The advice I've quoted above... is from a tape recording I made in 1968 when Ray Bradbury came to talk to our small group of young writers at the local library.

Thanks, Ray.

Annie

PS -- he's still alive.

Halliday
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 02:28 AM

Member No.: 15

I FINISHED THE BLOODY CHAPTER!!

Plot necessities accomplished, plot subtleties planted.

Not, at this stage, the world's best chapter, but it has some good parts, some romantic parts, some writing that pleases me.

Fiction marches on...!
Donnalee
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 05:20 AM

Group: Moderation Team
Member No.: 8

You are way ahead of me. My cozy mystery has been on the back burner so long I am not sure I'll remember what is in the pot if I ever get back to it.

Non-fiction has taken over again.
ANother_Canuck
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 08:50 AM

Member No.: 51

Hi Lev,

I've lost track of how many books you have on the go. Is this the only one, or are you flipping between stories?
Definitely leave the ghost in. I bet you'll need to put something in towards the end of the book that relates back to the ghost, even if it's not a ghost, but eventually turns into an animal, or a kid, or a feisty senior.

Any tentative time line for coming our way? Don't forget you can always stay with us, and we'll squire you around.

AC, always trying to get caught up on her life
« Next Oldest | General Writing topics | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options Quick Reply

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1231 seconds | Archive