Skin created by Guilty of Graphic Center.

Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to UK MLB Supporters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Albert Pujols
fishandchippers
Posted: May 3 2012, 01:01 PM

All-Star

Group: Admin
Member No.: 11

many big hitters and had problems moving from one team to another or from one league to another, Adam Dunn last year for example.

So how about Albert? Signed a massive deal locking him to the Angels until the end of time for an exuberant amount of cash.

His slash line so far after the first month?

.208/.252/.287 with 5 RBI and 0 home runs. In fact he has just 8 extra base hits and has only walked 6 times.

Can he turn it around or will he be the 2012 Adam Dunn?

A_C
Posted: May 3 2012, 10:08 PM

Hall of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

He'll turn it around. He is just too good of a hitter to finish the season with numbers that bad. Although I did say that about Jason Bay too...
fishandchippers
Posted: May 3 2012, 10:34 PM

All-Star

Member No.: 11

I'm sure I muttered something like that about Adam Dunn last year too.
Leemarlin87
Posted: May 3 2012, 10:47 PM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 4

I think he'll end up with something along the lines of

.279 avg, 23 HR, 78 RBI

Not exactly what the Angels paid for but after the slow April I think he'll take those numbers.

It's all about adjusting to the new surroundings, It seems leaving his massively comfy home has had a bigger effect then he imagined
Tijani
Posted: May 4 2012, 12:26 AM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 9

Albert will be fine. He will bat .300 and hit 30+ home runs. When the first one comes then more will follow soon after. He is just saving them up for when we play the Rangers.
StL Tim
Posted: May 4 2012, 12:45 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 341

love albert, even though he left and hate seeing him struggle like this. I have no doubt he will snap out of it. Think having a whole new team and set of coaches around him isn't helping as when he gets in a funk he seems to rely on the people around him a bit. When he had a bad start for us last year he worked closely with Mark McGwire our hitting coach who he seemed to get on pretty well with and obviously he had La Russa.
Vader
Posted: May 4 2012, 04:30 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 258

I know it's said a lot but he is too good a player to go all year as bad as he has done so far this year!
AlextheBrave
Posted: May 6 2012, 09:45 AM

All-Star

Member No.: 10

Madness to think that he wont get out of it pretty quickly, he had a run of 90 something ABs last season without a HR and look at his figures for the season.

It just a mental issue, admitally he is probably just past his peak but its years 5+ of contract that Angels fans should be worrying about not now.
SNYMets
Posted: May 6 2012, 03:52 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 317

Did I read that the fans have started to boo him, which they should realise will only make things 10 times worse and put more pressure on him?

I doubt this will last much longer, you don't go from being one of the best hitters maybe in history to a total turkey almost overnight, it's probably a bit like a great golfer who gets the yips, it's all in the mind and the only thing you can do is try to relax and play your way out of it, when he hits his first homer it will be like the flood gates opening I bet.
StL Tim
Posted: May 6 2012, 09:58 PM

Rookie

there you go albert. Wouldn't be surprised if he went on an absolute tear for a couple of weeks now.
Tijani
Posted: Oct 30 2012, 01:00 PM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 9

Albert ended the season with a slash line of .285/.343/.516 with 30 home runs and RBIs. His 4.6 WAR was the best for a first baseman in the AL and the second best in the Majors behind Joey Votto. A good season after such a poor start and I reckon he will do better next season.
StL Tim
Posted: Apr 2 2014, 12:56 PM

Rookie

What does everyone think the future holds for Albert? Incredibly (to me at least) he seems like forgotten news when only a couple of years ago he was one of the faces of baseball.

He's close to two landmarks - 1500 RBIs (currently 1499) and 500 home runs (currently 492), how do you think he will stack up by the end of his career?

Some stats for what it's worth:

Over the first 13 years of his career he has averaged 181 hits, 40 doubles, 38 home runs and 115 RBIs.

If he were to maintain that average for another 7 years (up to and including 2020 season when he will be 40) then he would finish with...

3614 hits (5th all time), 804 doubles (1st all time), 758 home runs (2nd all time, 4 behind Barry Bonds) and 2303 RBIs (1st all time).

Of course that is pretty unlikely as age and injuries catch up to him but he would only need 72 RBIs each of those 7 years to hit 2000 so I think thats definitely within reach (currently only Hank Aaron 2297 and Babe Ruth 2213 have done that although Alex Rodriguez is on 1969). He would need to average 30 home runs for the 7 years to make 700.

Personally as much as I would like to see him challenge some of the records, especially Bonds' HR mark, I find it hard to see him maintaining a high enough pace to reach any except maybe doubles. (Would need to average 38-39 for next 7 years to beat current record of 792) However I think top 10 in hits, top 5 in doubles and 3rd or 4th in both home runs and RBIs is fairly realistic.
Miracle Mets
Posted: Apr 3 2014, 11:01 AM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 563

Tim, very interesting analysis there ^^

The Angels in 2014 could be in the unique position of having both the best contract in history, and the worst contract in history, both on their books at the same time.

With Pujols, I’m thinking mainly that the Cardinals really dodged a bullet when they decided not to seriously compete for him, and in characteristically astute fashion Cardinals GM John Mozeliak decided that he’d rather somebody else got stiffed for the $240 million Pujols was demanding. That Cardinals club just NEVER misses a trick or puts a foot wrong, which is why they’ve been to the post-season I think about 10 or 11 times in the past 14 years, plus, they always do it without hardly ever being in the top 10 clubs in payroll either. Just ask ourselves, who has done the better out of it since Pujols left St Louis? .... is it the Cardinals without Pujols, and his vast salary OFF the books - two division titles in 2012 and 2013, one NLDS in 2012, and one NL pennant and WS appearance in 2013 ..... or is it the Angels with Pujols, and his vast salary ON the books? - 3rd in their division in both 2012 and 2013?

But at 34, and with the Angels on the hook for 8 more years and $212 million still on his contract, Pujols looks to be heading toward a long, painful decline that’s going to make his contract a huge albatross for the Angels for years to come, it could even turn out to be the most short-sighted and least cost-effective contract in baseball, ever, with him probably past his peak even before he signed it. He’s due $23 million this year, and then his salary rises by $1 million each year after that, topping out at $30 million in the year 2021, by which time he’ll 42 years old.

At the moment there’s no statistical case that anybody can make to reach any different conclusion, his BA, on-base %, slugging %, and home run output have all fallen every year since 2009, though obviously last year he missed probably 50-odd games through injury. So all that remains quite possibly is an aging, injured first baseman/DH, though they will obviously still get some production out of him for another year or two if he can avoid getting hurt, but it will only be the sort of dwindling pay-back/production you would expect if you idiotically give a 32 year old veteran almost a quarter of a billion dollars.

In fact that whole Angels team to me is looking pretty long in the tooth, at least as far as their ‘everyday’ positional players go, who are mostly the wrong side of 30 - Pujols, Kendrick, Aybar, Hamilton, and Ibanez (who is 41). I think Hamilton could still work out OK for the Angels, providing that is - like Cabrera - he can stay sober and out of trouble.

You’d think that at some point soon the Angels are going to have to start to build a team around Trout, since they seem to be placing so much of their hopes on him, and just cut a lot of the dead-wood. This would be their 5th straight year missing the post-season if they don’t make it, which is pretty unthinkable when you consider what a great team they were for quite a few years after they’d won the WS in 2002. I like the Angels, and especially Mike Scioscia, but they do seem an erratic club financially speaking, because they then turn around and manage to get one of the most inspired deals ever done with Mike Trout, where they will be paying him less than they are paying Pujols, but the difference is Trout is only going to get even better, and is nowhere even near to his optimum years yet.

But Pujols needs to have a truly massive MVP type year in 2014, in fact I’d say nothing less than 40 home runs and 120 runs driven in, and with very high all round average and % , is going to be enough to convince most people that he’s not just a bust, or at least a bust relative to the staggering fortune he makes.
StL Tim
Posted: Apr 14 2014, 02:38 PM

Rookie

I'm not sure it's true to say that the Cardinals 'decided not to seriously compete' for Pujols. I think they genuinely really wanted to resign him, the Angels just came in and completely overpaid to get him. They went far higher than I think anyone was expecting, even probably Pujols and I agree with you that it is the type of the contract that could weigh heavily on the club for a long time.

There is an interest article in baseball prospectus this year which makes the point that in anticipation of having to give Pujols a new deal, about 5 years or so before his contract was up the Cardinals set about rebuilding their farm system in order to be able to have cheap young players on entry level contracts to save the money that was going to have to go to Albert. Then goes on to say that basically Cards have been able to have their cake and eat it as by in the end not signing Pujols they have both the crop of cheap talented youngsters and the extra money to have given both Wainwright and Molina (arguably the most valuable player in the league with all he does defensively, offensively and handling the pitching staff) new deals to keep them at the club and also sign free agents like Beltran and this year Peralta.

He has looked pretty good the last week, think he has 3 home runs and 6 rbis in his last 5 games so maybe he is on for a bounce back year. If he gets back to somewhere near the level he was at a couple of years ago alongside Trout the Angels could be really dangerous!
galraen
Posted: Apr 14 2014, 07:44 PM

Administrator

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (StL Tim @ Apr 14 2014, 03:38 PM)
If he gets back to somewhere near the level he was at a couple of years ago alongside Trout the Angels could be really dangerous!

They are really dangerous, the only question is "Can Angels pitchers consistently limit their opponents to fewer runs than they score?"
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1684 seconds | Archive