Skin created by Guilty of Graphic Center.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to UK MLB Supporters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Baseball cards
vegangoth
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 08:27 PM

Everyday Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 245

I know a few of you do have collections but do any of you still actively collect them?

A couple of months ago I bought a book from Oxfam called " peanuts & crackerjacks" by David Cataneo it's a "Treasury of baseball legends and lore" biggrin.gif inside the book the previous owner had left a baseball card as a bookmark. I was so excited to see this as I've never seen a baseball card in the flesh before....sad I know lol. the card is Roberto Clemente. I wouldn't mind starting a wee collection biggrin.gif
ToffeeYankee
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 08:32 PM

All-Star

Member No.: 265

I have a full deck of Yankees cards from last season, but I bought them altogether in a bumper-pack thing. Card collecting is pretty interesting. I used to get football/wrestling ones. Sounds like a good idea though, you should go for it smile.gif.
vegangoth
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 08:49 PM

Everyday Regular

Nice! Did you get them from the MLB shop? or is there any where UK based that sell them?
ToffeeYankee
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 08:55 PM

All-Star

Member No.: 265

I bought them from New York when I went last year. I think MLB Shop do them, not 100% sure though.
Mex_17
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 09:02 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 37

Nice card to start the collection anyway.

I'm not really one for collecting, but I've looked into it before. You can get quite a few on eBay for fairly cheap. Granted, they're probably not the ones you'll be able to sell for $1000 a piece in a few years, but I doubt that's why you'll be doing it anyway.

It's crazy how much some cards go for at auction. A particular Honus Wagner card has been known to go for over $1,000,000.
Rabscallion
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 11:16 AM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 43

I've bought a few Boston ones on my trips there. It's surprising how cheap some of them are. I bought some 60's one for about 75 p each. I got them from Kenmore Collectables. Nice guy -said he'd happIly post to uk, but I've never taken him up on that. I'm sure he'd sort you out with a reasonable pile of 'nice'cards if you email him. There are some on eBay too but if you were buying a few I think the Kenmore guy would be cheaper. He has more than red sox of course. Google Kenmore Collectables anyway.
vegangoth
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 12:52 PM

Everyday Regular

Thanks I might just do that
JeffV
Posted: May 11 2012, 03:34 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 132

Got a few older cards and have been actively collecting some of the newer sets since last year (2011 Topps Series 1,2 and Updates, 2012 Topps Series 1, Heritage and Gypsy Queen so far....)

Buying single cards in the UK the best places are probably ebay or checkoutmycards.com. There's not a lot to be found on UK ebay but a lot of US ebay sellers are happy to ship to the UK.
Buying unopened packs / boxes I've been using dacardworld.com. Their shipping isnt too bad, especially if you make sure you order a few things at a time. You have to beware import VAT though (20%) and customs handling costs. You can also find a few packs/boxes on UK Amazon but they tend to be more expensive than buying from the US as the seller has had to pay all those costs already to get them into the country.

Going to New York and Washington DC in just under a months time so hoping to pick up some more cheaply then.

A good internet source of info on the different newer sets is baseballcardpedia.com

smile.gif
GunnerAsh
Posted: May 24 2012, 08:35 AM

Rookie

Member No.: 230

I recently bought a few Topps 2012 S1 team sets from this guy on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/the_baseball_car...=&_trksid=p3686

Its the first time I've ever bought baseball cards since I got a pack in some random US sports magazine when I was a kid. That guy on ebay is really cool, I got some Indians cards, Mariners and Nationals too. Really hoping he gets Topps series 2 cards as well.

I'm not going to be a serious collector or anything but I will try and get the players and teams I like.
jackplumstead
Posted: Aug 30 2012, 07:01 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 465

Hiya
I am a big fan of baseball cards and collecting. Tell me your team and I am sure I can send some cards your way! Rabscallion I have a ton of Red Sox cards....
Jack
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1119 seconds | Archive