Skin created by Guilty of Graphic Center.

Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to UK MLB Supporters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Norfolk Rays Fan Here
RaysTheRoof
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 01:17 PM

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 351

Hi.

I just came across this site yesterday and thought Iíd sign-up and do an intro, looks really nice.

I live in Banham, which is a small village in Norfolk, roughly half way between Norwich and Thetford, thereís probably only about 1,000 people in the village so everybody knows everybody else, my father is a retired Church of England clergyman, and my mother unfortunately has MS, so I am at home quite a lot as she needs quite a bit of assistance and looking after, though I do also work part of the week at Banham Zoo, I graduated in history from University of East Anglia at Norwich. Amazingly for such a tiny village we actually have our own world class zoo just outside the village, with over 1,000 animals, including giraffes, Siberian Tigers, and Snow Leopards, as well as the exhibits we do a lot of conservation and education.

Iím a really big Tampa Bay Rays fan dating right back to 1999 when I was 11 years old, and we went to Orlando on holiday, and I was taken to two games at Tropicana Field against the New York Yankees, and then I went again with friends in 2009 and saw games against Kansas City Royals and Boston Red Sox, and then last year I went with my girlfriend and her brother to Walt Disney World, we stayed at Universal Orlando Resort and we went over to Tampa/St Pete for a couple of days to see two more Rays games, against Toronto and Oakland. I probably wonít be able to afford to go this year, but hopefully in 2013, and I try to watch the Rays games on MLB whenever I can.

I really love The Trop which has a great atmosphere even though for some reason it gets slated, I bet mostly by people who havenít even been there, though there is still talk of the Rays getting a new ballpark one of these days soon.

Anyway I love my Rays, itís just an amazing baseball story how this little club that nobody cared about, and who were terrible, they can now hold their own and even regularly finish ahead of the mighty Yankees and Red Sox, Rays as you will know were AL wild card winners last year, AL East Champs in 2010, and in 2008 they were AL East Champs again and also made it to the World Series, so for those reasons Iím really proud of how they have suddenly become such a force in the game, and all inside only about 4 years really.

Joe Maddon for me is the most incredible manager in the game, because this has all been achieved under his leadership, and with very little money to spend compared with the bigger clubs.

I also support Norwich City FC, and am also proud of them and how they are now such a well-respected Premier League team.

So thatís all really, nice to be here, hope to get involved in some of the talk, especially any Rays talk.

RaysTheRoof
WMCHRIS
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 01:40 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 187

Welcome mate nice intro.

Am off to a few places in the states in a few weeks and amongst other ball parks I'll be visiting the Trop for the first time for their series against the orioles which I'm looking forward to
acletiger
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 02:09 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 116

Welcome to the site from another Norfolk fan.
RaysTheRoof
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 03:43 PM

Rookie

Thanks chaps,

WMCHRIS I think you will love it at the Trop. One thing you should see is the big tank at The Trop in centrefield, I think the Marlins with their new stadium possibly think they have the only aquarium around the field, but you should visit the Rays Touch Tank which has been there now for a few years, and is full of rays taken out of the sea near to Tampa, you can actually stroke them, they don't sting, if a home run lands in the tank it's probably quite a big deal with the fans though it's only been done a couple of times.

Have a good visit.
WMCHRIS
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 04:19 PM

Everyday Regular

QUOTE (RaysTheRoof @ Apr 23 2012, 03:43 PM)
Thanks chaps,

WMCHRIS I think you will love it at the Trop. One thing you should see is the big tank at The Trop in centrefield, I think the Marlins with their new stadium possibly think they have the only aquarium around the field, but you should visit the Rays Touch Tank which has been there now for a few years, and is full of rays taken out of the sea near to Tampa, you can actually stroke them, they don't sting, if a home run lands in the tank it's probably quite a big deal with the fans though it's only been done a couple of times.

Have a good visit.

Cheers mate. Not bought my tickets yet I'm going to this week, do I need to be in a particular section to do that?

Cheers
RaysTheRoof
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 07:05 PM

Rookie

I have no idea Chris, I've never bought tickets for a Rays game, they have always been bought for me, or somebody else has done the booking, I think one game we just walked up and bought tickets 30 minutes before the start, you should be fine in most sections, though crowds at the Trop are up again this year after a drop last year, up around 30,000 for most games so far. Do you know exactly which game you are going to yet?
WMCHRIS
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 07:31 PM

Everyday Regular

QUOTE (RaysTheRoof @ Apr 23 2012, 07:05 PM)
I have no idea Chris, I've never bought tickets for a Rays game, they have always been bought for me, or somebody else has done the booking, I think one game we just walked up and bought tickets 30 minutes before the start, you should be fine in most sections, though crowds at the Trop are up again this year after a drop last year, up around 30,000 for most games so far. Do you know exactly which game you are going to yet?

Will look into it, cheers.

Yeah it's the Friday night game against the orioles on June 1st
RicayBlueJay
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 08:45 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 307

Welcome from another newbie.

I watched your Rays play Detroit towards the end of last August, we drove up from Sarasota over the Sunshine Skyway bridge - awesome (until I got a bit lost after coming off the freeway...). A great end to the holiday after totally overdosing on Universal and Busch Gardens.

Looks like another tough division this year, we really could do without Baltimore doing so well!

Cheers,
Keith
Leemarlin87
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 04:56 AM

Hall of Famer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Welcome to the site from a fellow Floridian fan

Looking forward to our annual games vs the Rays this year, should be some good ones.

Any questions about the site or anything then just fire away.

Do you follow any other US Sports or is just baseball?
RaysTheRoof
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 07:31 AM

Rookie

QUOTE (Leemarlin87 @ Apr 24 2012, 04:56 AM)
Welcome to the site from a fellow Floridian fan

Looking forward to our annual games vs the Rays this year, should be some good ones.

Any questions about the site or anything then just fire away.

Do you follow any other US Sports or is just baseball?

Thankyou LM87.

The Marlins are definitely my 2nd favourite team after the Rays, though I've never been down to south Florida and Miami to see them, if the Rays game isn't on early enough to watch, and the Marlins are on, then I always watch the Marlins, I love their new ballpark, it's definitely unique and it looks a very entertaining place to go, I'd love to go there one day.

Other US sports? Well I like ice hockey, my team is Tampa Bay Lightning, though I have never seen them live as I've only even been to Florida in the summer months when there's no hockey. They haven't done much since they won their only Stanley Cup about 10 years ago, but they have Steven Stamkos, who must be the best goal-scorer in the NHL these days and has been top NHL scorer in 2 of the last 3 years, his 60 goals this year is almost unheard of, so I follow them, hockey seems to me to have the same basic purpose as association football, fast end to end passing game, with a goal and goal keeper at each end of the playing area, so that's probably why I like it.

I'm afraid I have no idea about basketball or american football, I doubt I could even name more than about 4 or 5 NFL or NBA teams. I play a bit of golf and enjoy that, but it's mainly football and baseball for me.

Thanks again.
StL Tim
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 04:47 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 341

welcome to the site. Being a Cards fan I don't seem to end up watching the AL much but I have great respect for the Rays, what they've done the past few years and the way they've done it, particularly Joe Maddon. Incredible watching you guys come back against the Yankees to get into the playoffs on the final day last year. That Dan Johnson home run in the 9th was unbelievable!
Percentage
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 10:47 AM

All-Star

Member No.: 27

Welcome to the forum!

Great intro though at first i thought we had our first Norfolk Tides fan on here! biggrin.gif

Enjoy the site!
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1054 seconds | Archive