Skin created by Guilty of Graphic Center.

Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to UK MLB Supporters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

2013 MLB TRIP, Advice needed
AHendersonUK
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 07:37 PM

hendax

Group: Members
Member No.: 335

Hi guys. I'm looking at planning a trip to the states maybe for the 2013 MLB season. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to book a package with tickets or maybe all (flights, hotel, tickets) separate. Not sure how best to do it. How far in advance are schedules available etc...
WMCHRIS
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 07:46 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 187

QUOTE (AHendersonUK @ Apr 12 2012, 07:37 PM)
Hi guys. I'm looking at planning a trip to the states maybe for the 2013 MLB season. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to book a package with tickets or maybe all (flights, hotel, tickets) separate. Not sure how best to do it. How far in advance are schedules available etc...

Book everything separate mate. The schedule comes out around the turn of the year I think?

Depending on what teams you want to see the cheapest way would be to book a return flight to one city new York for example go to see the mets/Yankees then go to Boston or Philli on the train or bus or if you want to go to specific games an internal flight, chicago for example with two teams there end up back in new York when you've done what you want maybe time it to see the team you didnt see when you arrived and fly home.

Not saying that's the only way but that's how I'd do it, combining baseball with seeing various cities. Depends on your budget really and how long you want to go for.

You got any specific teams in mind or just want to catch some games?
AHendersonUK
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 07:54 PM

hendax

I follow the Red Sox but not sure I would want to stay in Boston. I like the idea of a trip to New York. Hopefully catch a BOS@NYY series but I just enjoy watching the game so would happily watch the Yankees or Mets as well.
Rabscallion
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 06:25 AM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 43

I'm going to New York at the end of the month. I took a fairly expensive option of buying tickets through stub hub - but you get to choose your seats - I figured that it might be the only chance I get to go there so what the heck.

With the size of the NY stadiums tickets are often available throughout the year (not the best seats of course), but I'd recommend booking as early as possible in the season i.e as soon as single tix go on sale (i.e April).

Overall I'd say go with Stub hub - great seats make a difference - stay out of the top decks if at all possible. Why not have a trial 'choose' on their website - you can go through the motions without having to input your details or pay. You can then go on a virtual stadium site to see the view from your seat.

Yankees

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=v...ddhUe9UnMcJwzvg

Mets

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=v...Ck2eBtTIs3q9ywQ

Red Sox

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=v...hZKkUM-GHMEG61A

As a result of advice here I've also booked a day to Philly for $72.00 on the train - so that's very doable -same with Boston, there's a great luxury bus that does a 2hour run between the cities

I would however recommend Boston as destination to anyone - great city. Fenway is a must do for anyone.

Other thing I'd recommend if you stay in NY and travelling out is not an option is to check out one of the affiliate teams - Staten Island Yankees for example (great view of Manhattan from the ballpark) or even the Atlantic league teams on Long Island

So many teams - so little time! biggrin.gif

Rob
WMCHRIS
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 07:24 AM

Everyday Regular

QUOTE (Rabscallion @ Apr 13 2012, 06:25 AM)
I'm going to New York at the end of the month. I took a fairly expensive option of buying tickets through stub hub - but you get to choose your seats - I figured that it might be the only chance I get to go there so what the heck.

With the size of the NY stadiums tickets are often available throughout the year (not the best seats of course), but I'd recommend booking as early as possible in the season i.e as soon as single tix go on sale (i.e April).

Overall I'd say go with Stub hub - great seats make a difference - stay out of the top decks if at all possible. Why not have a trial 'choose' on their website - you can go through the motions without having to input your details or pay. You can then go on a virtual stadium site to see the view from your seat.

Yankees

Mets

Red Sox

As a result of advice here I've also booked a day to Philly for $72.00 on the train - so that's very doable -same with Boston, there's a great luxury bus that does a 2hour run between the cities

I would however recommend Boston as destination to anyone - great city. Fenway is a must do for anyone.

Other thing I'd recommend if you stay in NY and travelling out is not an option is to check out one of the affiliate teams - Staten Island Yankees for example (great view of Manhattan from the ballpark) or even the Atlantic league teams on Long Island

Rob

Or the Brooklyn cyclones at coney island biggrin.gif

I'd go with stub hub too I usually buy through them rather than the official website, it's mainly season ticket holders selling their seats and all guaranteed etc. if its not a big game seats are often cheaper on there than face value anyway in my experience.

I find planning the trip is almost as good as going, but that's just me lol
StewartB
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 09:25 PM

All-Star

Member No.: 86

Draft schedules come out late in the year/turn of the year, and firmed up February/March time.

I always book everything myself. I have a spreadsheet of the whole season this year, so I can plan my multi-city trips. You can download each team's home schedule from mlb.com - so I have a script that does that and then combines it all into a single spreadsheet (anybody want the 2012 season spreadsheet? PM me)

The advantage of flying from the UK to/from Boston is that it's pretty much the shortest flight. You could always travel by train from Boston - it's one of the few real passenger lines in the USA. You could visit Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC.

If you find the prices for Yankees games are too steep for you, try to catch them playing at Baltimore - you can get great club seats for $50 and it'll pretty much be a Yankees crowd anyway. biggrin.gif OTOH, part of the reason to visit Yankee Stadium is to see the stadium and monuments (typically, you need to get there 90-120 minutes before 1st pitch for Monument Park access)

I've bought tickets on Stubhub, but found them sometimes more expensive than just buying them from the team. They are official ticket resellers, so purchases there should be completely safe. Some clubs still handle their own season ticket reselling, so always check with the teams as well.
acletiger
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 12:44 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 116

I usualy book my flight and hotel together with Expedia and most of the time works out cheaper. I dont know if this is still the case, but if you fly with United to a non hub destination say for instance to San Diego via Houston and return via Washington or Chicago, they used to let you stop over at those locations without an extra charge. Being an Athletics fan i never book my tickets in advance and just get them on the day, but if i catch a Giants game i book them through Ticketmaster. Go for the west coast.
AHendersonUK
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 06:11 PM

hendax

Dont suppose anyone already planning a trip wants to take me? :-)
WMCHRIS
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 12:53 PM

Everyday Regular

QUOTE (AHendersonUK @ Apr 17 2012, 06:11 PM)
Dont suppose anyone already planning a trip wants to take me? :-)

I would if I didn't have to take the missus biggrin.gif

If you've no one to go with go on your own, you'll have a great time, can't split the hotels cost wise but apart from that it's the only draw back. You can go and spend time doing whatever you like without having to take what anyone else wants to do into account. Loads of people travel on their own don't let it put you off
Mex_17
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 02:37 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Rabscallion @ Apr 13 2012, 07:25 AM)

Yankees

Mets

Red Sox

Rob

Do you usually travel by yourself, Rob?

I'm thinking of taking a trip over and visiting six ballparks on the East Coast next Summer. The thing is, I'll most likely be travelling alone and am a little aprehensive about safety etc. in some of the cities.

In your experience, how expensive is accommodation and where do you find the best deals? I have a friend in Philly so I'm sure I'll have a place to crash there, but everywhere else I'll have to book a hotel. I'll be on placement next year and plan on saving as much as I can, but the less I can spend the better. Also, how often do you stay in each city if you're doing a multi-city trip?
acletiger
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 07:10 PM

Everyday Regular

Mex. I usualy travel alone on my baseball trips to the bay area and normally stay in San Francisco, but last september decided to stay at the Days inn near the coliseum. Yes the area can be dodgy, but if you use common sense like you would in any major city in the UK you are fine. Hotels do sting single travellers, but i paid £30 a night including a continental breakfast. The cost of direct flights to San Francisco and 5 nights hotel was £650 which i thought was ok.
ToffeeYankee
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 10:26 PM

All-Star

Member No.: 265

QUOTE (Rabscallion @ Apr 13 2012, 06:25 AM)
I'm going to New York at the end of the month. I took a fairly expensive option of buying tickets through stub hub - but you get to choose your seats

I got to choose my seats when I went to Citi Field last year, and I booked through the Mets website.
AlextheBrave
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 10:36 AM

All-Star

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Mex_17 @ Apr 18 2012, 02:37 PM)
I'm thinking of taking a trip over and visiting six ballparks on the East Coast next Summer. The thing is, I'll most likely be travelling alone and am a little aprehensive about safety etc. in some of the cities.

I went to Atlanta on my own a couple of years ago to watch a few games and really enjoyed it. There are a lot of advantages, you can do everything you want and don’t have to take anyone else’s feelings into account. During the day you can see what tourist stuff you want, go where you want to eat, etc. The freedom is quite liberating!

At the games you soon get chatting to people sat near you, they love the accent and being a “Brit” watching baseball is a great conversation starter. There is always public transport available to get to games and I always felt safe, as mentioned in a previous reply you just apply the same sense you would in a British city at night.

I'd have no hesitation going back to NYC or Boston on my own either if i didnt have a missues who would insist on coming.
acletiger
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 11:51 AM

Everyday Regular

Alex. Totaly agree with your comments on Boston. I felt safe day and night walking to Fenway from Back Bay area and on using the metro. Never seen any major problems on the BART/MUNI or Caltrain in the bay area except for the odd drunk down and out who are dealt with quickly by the transit police.
Kid Cuddy
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 08:53 PM

All-Star

Member No.: 302

I'm delighted to hear of a few members going to various ballparks on their own. I would definitely consider making a trip myself & feel it could be handiest to head on my own. My sister has gone to various athletics events on her own & she's always gotten on fine too.

Like both acletiger & Alexthebrave said common sense goes a long way. I'd say there's still plenty to do on your own and is still very enjoyable. From what I've seen also there always appears to be a pretty friendly atmosphere at the ballparks so you would probably get chatting to fellow baseball fans like the guys say.

Overall guys you'd be very positive towards making a trip on your own? It sounds great.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1029 seconds | Archive