Skin created by Guilty of Graphic Center.

Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to UK MLB Supporters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

2012 News, Views and Comments
Tijani
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 09:20 PM

Hall of Famer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

The season is now underway and everything seems to be going as planned out East with the Orioles running away with the AL East and Mets undefeated in the NL East.

Yu Darvish didnít have the best start to his MLB career giving up 4 runs in the first and 5 in total against the Mariners although he did manage to get the win. It will be interesting to see how he does in his next couple of starts.
Tijani
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:15 AM

Hall of Famer

Matt Cain allowed one hit in a complete game shutout of the Pirates. The only player to get a hit was the Pirates starter James McDonald. That must be very disappointing but at least he managed to throw a one-hitter.
Tijani
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 04:12 AM

Hall of Famer

Congratulations to Jamie Moyer who at the age of 49 years and 150 days became the oldest player ever to win a game in the Major Leagues breaking the record of Jack Quinn who set the record in 1932.
Tijani
Posted: May 7 2012, 12:01 AM

Hall of Famer

A bit of a mixed game for Chris Davis of the Orioles. As a hitter he went 0-8 with 5K's and he also hit into a double play. He then pitched two scoreless innings to get the win.
galraen
Posted: Jun 20 2012, 07:15 PM

Administrator

Member No.: 1

A couple of debating points from the latest Baseball Prospectus news letter:

The Rockies switch to a four man rotation
A move of desperation or the start of a sea move back to the future?

If it fails, as seems likely, then it'll be seen as the former, but if it works, how many teams will follow the lead?

The biggest 'mistake' that Jim Tracy has made in announcing this could be the stated determination to limit his four starters to 75 pitches. Knowing this opposing teams will likely take an even more patient approach than normal in order to drive up their pitch count to get the starter out of the game well before the 5th inning. Have the intention to do it Jim, but telling the world was a major blunder.

Time will tell and I, like many others will be following this with interest.

Joel Peralta caught cheating

He'll probably, as the article stated, miss at least a week's game time, but now one waits to see how many other teams start demanding the umps check Tampa's pitcher's gloves, not just Peraltas but every Rays pitcher!

There may be more to come on this story as it seems the team knew about his ploy and did nothing to stop it, if the league decide to pursue this further Maddon and his coaches could come under increasing scrutiny. If this happens again with the Rays, they could find themselves facing the suspension of more than just one pitcher.

A_C
Posted: Jun 20 2012, 08:53 PM

Hall of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

QUOTE (galraen @ Jun 20 2012, 07:15 PM)
The biggest 'mistake' that Jim Tracy has made in announcing this could be the stated determination to limit his four starters to 75 pitches. Knowing this opposing teams will likely take an even more patient approach than normal in order to drive up their pitch count to get the starter out of the game well before the 5th inning. Have the intention to do it Jim, but telling the world was a major blunder.

I guess he felt he needed to justify his desicion, but I completely agree, I would have kept it to myself. I can't see how this is going to work if a pitcher is limited to so few pitches. If the pitcher is doing well, and Tracy takes him out he'll get criticized, even more so if he's only pitched four or five innings. I'm interested to see what effect this has on the bullpen too.

He should be applauded, at least, for having the guts to make the move to a four man rotation.
Tijani
Posted: Jun 21 2012, 03:18 AM

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (galraen @ Jun 20 2012, 07:15 PM)
A couple of debating points from the latest Baseball Prospectus news letter:

The Rockies switch to a four man rotation
A move of desperation or the start of a sea move back to the future?

If it fails, as seems likely, then it'll be seen as the former, but if it works, how many teams will follow the lead?

Time will tell and I, like many others will be following this with interest.

Joel Peralta caught cheating

He'll probably, as the article stated, miss at least a week's game time, but now one waits to see how many other teams start demanding the umps check Tampa's pitcher's gloves, not just Peraltas but every Rays pitcher!

There may be more to come on this story as it seems the team knew about his ploy and did nothing to stop it, if the league decide to pursue this further Maddon and his coaches could come under increasing scrutiny. If this happens again with the Rays, they could find themselves facing the suspension of more than just one pitcher.

I think it is an interesting idea that could have a lot of benefits. If you have a Weaver, Verlander, Kershaw etc then you obviously want to get as many innings out of them as possible but the Rockies donít really have any good starters. I always wondered if a team that didnít have a good rotation would manage to get a group of pitchers that were all able to go 3 innings and then to use 3 of them each day.

Unless it works really well then I donít see teams adopting it quickly. You want to get the most you can out of your best starters while keeping them in good condition for the full season which probably wouldnít be the case with a 4 man rotation.

I do think it is weird saying you will limit them to 75 pitches per start as everyone now knows the plan although most people would have probably worked it out after a few starts. We had several off days to start the season that allowed us to go with a 4 man rotation to start the season and there has been plenty of opportunities since to skip the 5th starter so there could be a way of only using a 5th starter when needed.

The Rockies will also be relying on each reliever to go multiple innings and it does put a lot of pressure on the bullpen knowing that they wonít have any nights off.

I will be watching this with a lot of interest.

Peralta will get some sort of suspension. I do wonder how often this happens and it does seem a bit odd that it has only been discovered now considering how long he has been in the big leagues.
galraen
Posted: Oct 20 2012, 09:20 PM

Administrator

Lee gets his wish:

The Diamondbacks announced that they have acquired Heath Bell, infielder Cliff Pennington, and cash considerations from the Marlins in a three-team deal with the Athletics. Miami will receive minor league infielder Yordy Cabrera from the A's and Oakland will get outfielder Chris Young and cash from Arizona.

Young, 29, is set to make $8.5MM in 2013 with an $11MM club option for the 2014 season that comes with a modest $1.5MM buyout. The centerfielder has been unable to regain his All-Star form of 2010 and posted a .231/.311/.434 slash line with 14 homers last season. Young played in just 101 games last season, due in large part to a shoulder injury he suffered when he slammed into a wall in early April.

It looks like we're going to depend on being able to re-sign Stephen Drew and have Weeks and Sizemore fighting for the 2nd base job.

Not sure what this means for Seth Smith or Coco Crisp as the only value Young has is in a platoon with, presumably, Gomes or Coco.

I doubt that this is a trade in isolation though, I expect Beane is already working on another deal; he has to be for this trade to make sense.

I wonder where the D'Backs intend to play Pennington, I thought they had 2nd and SS covered.
Leemarlin87
Posted: Oct 20 2012, 10:23 PM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 4

Happy Days at last Heath has gone, the split had to happen once he was demoted from the closers role he was always likely gonna be gone and the row with Ozzie late in the seasons seemed to be him knowing the inevitable and letting of some steam.

Good for both parties I think.

I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about Cabrera but We'll take anything we can get for Bell I guess just to get shot.
galraen
Posted: Oct 20 2012, 11:11 PM

Administrator

I don't know much about him either Lee, other than that he's a Florida native and he's struggled big time at low A and high A. The Marlins scouts must have seen something they liked about him though, we spent a 2nd round pick on him sp our scouts must have seen it too.
galraen
Posted: Oct 21 2012, 03:39 PM

Administrator

Latest reports are that the Redsox have traded Mike Aviles to Toronto for John Farrell.

I guess the Redsox must have been impressed with him when he was their pitching coach, I doubt many Blue Jays fans will be crying in their beers.

Not sure why the Jays went for Aviles though, presumably either he or Escobar will be switching to 2nd base.
fishandchippers
Posted: Oct 21 2012, 11:44 PM

All-Star

Member No.: 11

I don't know why anyone would want to trade for Heath Bell. Especially when you have a hitter friendly ballpark. Mistake by the D'backs I think.
Tijani
Posted: Oct 22 2012, 12:36 AM

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (galraen @ Oct 20 2012, 09:20 PM)
Lee gets his wish:

The Diamondbacks announced that they have acquired Heath Bell, infielder Cliff Pennington, and cash considerations from the Marlins in a three-team deal with the Athletics. Miami will receive minor league infielder Yordy Cabrera from the A's and Oakland will get outfielder Chris Young and cash from Arizona.

Young, 29, is set to make $8.5MM in 2013 with an $11MM club option for the 2014 season that comes with a modest $1.5MM buyout. The centerfielder has been unable to regain his All-Star form of 2010 and posted a .231/.311/.434 slash line with 14 homers last season. Young played in just 101 games last season, due in large part to a shoulder injury he suffered when he slammed into a wall in early April.

It looks like we're going to depend on being able to re-sign Stephen Drew and have Weeks and Sizemore fighting for the 2nd base job.

Not sure what this means for Seth Smith or Coco Crisp as the only value Young has is in a platoon with, presumably, Gomes or Coco.

I doubt that this is a trade in isolation though, I expect Beane is already working on another deal; he has to be for this trade to make sense.

I wonder where the D'Backs intend to play Pennington, I thought they had 2nd and SS covered.

Are the A's getting any money in this deal?

I always thought of Young as good defensively and he is still only 29. He hasn't done that well against right handers the last few season which is a worry but he has been really good against lefties. I think it is a decent trade for the A's and I can see Beane making a few more this offseason.
galraen
Posted: Oct 22 2012, 12:41 AM

Administrator

I think we're getting $500K, so not that much. There's a debate going on on A's forums, most of the other A's fans disagree with what I posted in Bay Area Babble, seem to think Reddick is guaranteed to start in RF, which I think is daft. Sure Young could platoon with Reddick, Crisp or Smith, but one way or another, if Young, Cespedes and Crisp are fit, they play most of the time.

Beane has to either cut a deal with Boras for Drew or find a short stop from somewhere, don't be too surprised if Excobar or Aviles end up in Oakland!
Tijani
Posted: Oct 22 2012, 01:03 AM

Hall of Famer

You can find more than enough AB's throughout the season for those 4 in the outfield and DH spots. You showed last season that you aren't afraid to mix and match and I don't see it becoming that much of an issue.

There isn't much available in free agency at shortstop. There will be a players possibly available via trade like Escobar and Andrus. I think Beane will make a few more moves this offseason so it will be a while before we know exactly what the A's will look like next season.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0995 seconds | Archive