Skin created by Guilty of Graphic Center.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to UK MLB Supporters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Kindle
pld3009
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 09:00 PM

Everyday Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 42

Pondering getting a kindle, still undecided on the cheap or dearer version at the moment.

Wondering if anyone has experiences of them especially in terms of the increased number of Baseball books I could purchase (& Rugby League books)

Running out of book shelves :-)

Thanks for any advice in advance
vegangoth
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 09:01 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 245

I loooooooooove my Kindle biggrin.gif
Fenway Frank
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 10:37 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 261

QUOTE (vegangoth @ Feb 23 2012, 09:01 PM)
I loooooooooove my Kindle biggrin.gif

Aye, a cracking bit of kit.

You say "cheap one"... is that the one without a keyboard? To be honest any one would do. Mine has a keyboard but I don't see it as a necessity - in fact I never use the keyboard!

The big difference that I can see is the new (no keyboard) models have no audiobook capability. No biggie if you don't want to listen to them, but I like to put a bit of music on mine so I can listen to my sounds while reading a book biggrin.gif
Rabscallion
Posted: Feb 25 2012, 07:09 AM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 43

wot he said - Keyboard not really needed.Especially if you only want as a book. I find it a bit too clunky for internet etc. The 'cheap still has a screen keyboard anyway. Baseball book wise there seems to be plenty. I got a couple of great Cincinnati books and a couple off Baseball research too. 3G/Wifi model very useful for synching or downloading a new book whilst away - also free internet handy for checking scores despite clunky nature.

Rob
Kid Cuddy
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 10:20 AM

All-Star

Member No.: 302

Considering getting a Kindle myself now too. The majority of the books I read are US sports ones so it would be much easier to just download them then have to have to ship them over here (Ireland).

Could anyone recommend good baseball books to pick up on the Kindle?
StL Tim
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 09:36 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 341

I'd recommend Living on the Black by John Feinstein. Follows Mike Mussina at the Yankees and Tom Glavine at the Mets for a year and is a good insight into the life of pitchers and the craziness of a big market city like New York.

I also enjoyed Faithful by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan - a sort of baseball answer to Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch where the two writers chronicle the 2004 world series winning Red Sox season.

If you have any interest in fantasy baseball then Fantasyland by Sam Walker is a good read.

I'm currently reading The Baseball Codes: Beanballs, Sign Stealing, and Bench-Clearing Brawls: The Unwritten Rules of America's Pastime by Jason Turbow which I am enjoying.
Kid Cuddy
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 01:45 AM

All-Star

Member No.: 302

Thanks Tim they're some really interesting recommendations. I was actually really considering Faithful so that could be my first one on the kindle. I'm also considering Reversing the Curse by Dan Shaughnessy although it does get mixed reviews bit is still interesting I'm sure.
I'm also looking at Wayne Gretzky's book & Tony Dungy's first one from other US sporting theatres. They look great too. It's my birthday next Monday so I might treat myself to a nice kindle for that, assuming no1 else does first!.... I've a feeling I'm gonna be treating myself then smile.gif
RaysTheRoof
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 07:27 AM

Rookie

Member No.: 351

Never understood the point of a Kindle, since it takes me at least a week or two to read a full length novel or a book, even if I was away on holiday for a couple of weeks I'd only be able to read maybe 2 books that I take with me, so I don't see the point of having 20,000 of them on a device in my pocket, it's not like an MP3 music player where you may feel like jumping from band to band and track to track, books don't work like that, unless you are clever enough to be able to read 50 books simultaneously jumping from chapter to chapter. biggrin.gif
pld3009
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 05:16 PM

Everyday Regular

Got the Kindle finally!!

The wife had bought me some more books so have finished those off before buying.

A good plus side is that I found I can read USA Sports Weekly on it by buying it for 69p a week compared to the 1.92 a week I was paying for it to have it delivered.
A_C
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 10:55 PM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (pld3009 @ Apr 26 2012, 05:16 PM)
Got the Kindle finally!!

The wife had bought me some more books so have finished those off before buying.

A good plus side is that I found I can read USA Sports Weekly on it by buying it for 69p a week compared to the 1.92 a week I was paying for it to have it delivered.

Congrats wink.gif

Getting one next week, so I'll be thinking about getting USA weekly sub too. I'm also tempted by a NY Times subscription, but 18 a month is a little pricey. Might just have to stick to the occasional issue. It's a shame you can't subscribe to the digital version of Sports Illustrated.
pld3009
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 09:50 AM

Everyday Regular

Yeah I am using the pay as you read option, it is useful if I want to buy the odd edition of something else as well.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1165 seconds | Archive