Skin created by Guilty of Graphic Center.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to UK MLB Supporters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

New York in April
Rabscallion
Posted: Dec 28 2011, 12:35 PM

Hall of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 43

Off to New York in April for our 25th wedding anniversary, and as a consequence I will be forced to go to see Yankees - Tigers and as it's also my birthday that week i've blagged a trip to Mets- Marlins

Anyone any tips on visiting these two new stadiums?

Also hoping to try out the Atlantic league too. Anyone been to one of their games? It's AA/ AAAish standard I believe.

http://www.liducks.com/
Rob
Fella
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 06:16 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 180

Don't get bleacher seats in Yankee Stadium, as you won't be able to see part of the field!!!
Fenway Frank
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 09:43 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 261

Don't wear Red Sox gear! wink.gif
Chizzler89
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 12:18 AM

Rookie

Member No.: 254

Rabscallion, you did well to work the baseball season into your trip away with the missus, fair play smile.gif
I can't really help on tips myself yet sadly, I'm heading to NY in May & got tickets to Yankees Royals. How you looking forward to seeing Yankee Stadium as a Red Sox fan?
ToffeeYankee
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 01:25 AM

All-Star

Member No.: 265

Congrats on your anniversary! Just think, you were married 7 years before I was even born wink.gif. Hopefully we'll give a beating to the Tigers after they sent us out early in the PS last time around.

I've been to Citi Field, and the only tip I can think of is take some ID if you want a beer! They wouldn't serve alcohol to my Mum, despite her clearly being over the age of 21 (which they even said they believed that she was). But it must be stadium policy to ID the person no matter whom the customer is. Oh, and enjoy yourself!
Vader
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 01:33 AM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (ToffeeYankee @ Feb 17 2012, 01:25 AM)
Congrats on your anniversary! Just think, you were married 7 years before I was even born wink.gif. Hopefully we'll give a beating to the Tigers after they sent us out early in the PS last time around.

I've been to Citi Field, and the only tip I can think of is take some ID if you want a beer! They wouldn't serve alcohol to my Mum, despite her clearly being over the age of 21 (which they even said they believed that she was). But it must be stadium policy to ID the person no matter whom the customer is. Oh, and enjoy yourself!

Aye, I got ID'd in Yankee Stadium and when I told the woman I was 28 and handed my UK Drivers Licence over to her, she looked at it as if I'd just handed her a membership for Disney or something... got her supervisor to look at it, he OK'd it and then I was golden!

Was great to be ID'd for the first time at the age of 28! I must look really young for my age... AWESOME! laugh.gif

As for places around Yankee Stadium, I guess it depends on what you are after...

Stan's Sports Bar is a stone's throw from the Stadium and was jumping before and after the game! However, The Yankee Tavern Sports Bar further up the road was good for a quieter beer and chat!
AlextheBrave
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 10:06 AM

All-Star

Member No.: 10

I was sat behind a group of 4 blokes in their 50's at Yankee stadium last June during a Yankees/Red Sox game. Every time they wanted a beer the vendor checked all their IDs. Eventually they asked him why he did this and he said that all vendors are randomly monitored on stadium CCTV to make sure they check IDs of everyone.

I think itís just the way things work, after a while I just started get my ID out automatically without thinking about it. The British drivers licence certainly does throw them a bit.
Rabscallion
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 06:33 PM

Hall of Famer

Thanks all, Passport at the ready - Can't watch the Damn Yankees without a beer or two.

Hey Chizzler - No worries - it's all Baseball

Hey Toffeeyankee - 7 years hey - can't remember that far back but it doesn't matter as my misses is pretty cool so 25 has been pretty easy seems like a lot less- even lets me see loads of Baseball on holiday! 4 goes this trip!!! Like the chelsea pic by the way.
dangadd
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 07:44 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 70

If you've not got tickets to the Mets yet....

We went in April two years ago. Really enjoyed all 3 trips to Citifield. Some of the categories of tickets allow you access to a bar area with some food franchises in them that other tickets don't. Can't remember if i have remembered this correctly but I think it was called Caesars Club. We got to the stadium quite early and spent an hour or so in here at the bar after we'd walked all round.

I much preferred the CitiField experience to the Yankee one (but we definitley had better, but cheaper, tickets at Citifield)

Both easily accessible on the subway (but I'm sure you knew that already).

Enjoy your trip, I'm jealous.

I managed to persuade my wife to pop to Philidelphia for a day as well......

Dan
Rabscallion
Posted: Feb 18 2012, 07:08 AM

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (dangadd @ Feb 17 2012, 07:44 PM)

I managed to persuade my wife to pop to Philidelphia for a day as well......

Wow - I can see it now ... 'Hey love did you know we could have a day trip ...'
erm .... pushed my luck enough I think.....but just out of interest did you drive/bus/train?
dangadd
Posted: Feb 18 2012, 03:27 PM

Rookie

We went by train Rab, although there are some cheap deals to be done with a company called MegaBus (or something similar). The train was nice compared to our trains here in the UK. Took an hour or just over from Grand Central.

My wife was quite happy going to the baseball. She quite enjoys most sport but doesn't watch much on telly. She really enjoyed the atmospere at the Philadelphia game. We quite liked the limited time we had in Philly as well.
Rabscallion
Posted: Feb 18 2012, 04:47 PM

Hall of Famer

Shout out to Dangadd

Turns out the Mrs is up for the trip to Philly so I'm now doing Phillies- cubs (got to drop the Atlantic League game though - she's so selfish!)

Cheers Man - another Ballpark yay!
Vader
Posted: Feb 18 2012, 04:55 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 258

Well played that man! wink.gif
dangadd
Posted: Feb 18 2012, 05:43 PM

Rookie

Nice one Rab, we want to see all the photos when you get back!!

Philadelphia - apparently the crab fries are the must eat ballpark food. We didn't have any - a queue forms as soon as the gates open and persists for the whole game. The atmosphere in the Ballpark was teh best i've been to - hope Halladay is pitching the day you go !! We got a certificate from one of the seat attendants, we mentioned it was our first game at the park and she came back an hour later with two certificates commemorating the occasion.

It was from this forum that I got my info (Stewart?), the ballpark is at the end of the subway line (easy to navigate). The NFL stadium (Lincoln Financial Field) and the Ice Hockey rink(?) are in the same area.

We didn't manage to see either the Art Museum (Steps that Rocky runs up in the first film) or Independence Hall. Wish we had now. We just wandered around the city - it's a very walkable city.

gunslinger73
Posted: Feb 19 2012, 06:14 PM

Everyday Regular

Member No.: 20

Been to all 3 ballparks in last few years.

Always try to get field level seats (though this can be v expensive at Yankee Stadium)

Didn't think too much of the view from the nosebleeds at either Yankee Stadium or Citifield.

Excellent eats at Citifield include the nachos - they were awesome.

Personally if in Philly you'be gotta have a cheesesteak, Pats King of Steaks has a concession stand at Citizens Bank and if you can't get to Reading Terminal Market to experience the real thing - then this is a close second.

Yankee stadium - didn't eat as went out for big meal before the game - but beers weren't cheap - but they never are in such places.

As always - I'd recommend subway to and from all games (in Philly it's the end of the Orange line) and both ballparks in NYC are well served with subway stations

I'm sure you'll have a total blast - can't recommend any of these highly enough!

cool.gif
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1040 seconds | Archive