Skin created by Guilty of Graphic Center.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to UK MLB Supporters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post )

International Football
A_C
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 06:48 PM

Hall of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

QUOTE (galraen @ Feb 9 2012, 01:46 PM)
As for blaming Capello for what happened in South Africa! Yes he should shoulder his share of the blame, but the dreadful truth is the players he had available simply weren't good enough. Not helped of course by the fact that Looney went AWOL, again.

You're right, the players aren't good enough, but you can't tell me there wasn't a better option than Mathew Upson at CB? He was absolute dire in the 2009/10 season and Fab still picked him to play against the Germans.

I do find it funny that people are expecting Harry, winner of the grand sum of an FA Cup and a promotion to the Prem with Portsmouth, to do better than Fabio, who has won seven Serie A titles at three separate clubs and two Spanish titles. Madness.
AlextheBrave
Posted: Feb 10 2012, 10:20 AM

All-Star

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (A_C @ Feb 9 2012, 06:48 PM)
I do find it funny that people are expecting Harry, winner of the grand sum of an FA Cup and a promotion to the Prem with Portsmouth, to do better than Fabio, who has won seven Serie A titles at three separate clubs and two Spanish titles. Madness.

Looking back over the last 20 years of England managers there is very little correlation between trophies won at club level and success at international level.

I just hope whoever the new manager uses the opportunity to get rid of the remaining members of the "golden generation" and uses the Euros as development for the next WC. Fat chance i know.

Ultimately i dont really care that much, i have an "interest" in the national team and not much more than that these days. I long for the days of Euro 96 and WC 98 when I cared a great deal.
galraen
Posted: Feb 10 2012, 03:21 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I just hope whoever the new manager uses the opportunity to get rid of the remaining members of the "golden generation" and uses the Euros as development for the next WC.

I agree with that, although the media would make his life hell, it's the bet way to go. As idiotic as it may be, there will still be those who will be clamouring for a recall for Beckham, let alone not picking Gerard or Looney!
A_C
Posted: Feb 10 2012, 11:07 PM

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (AlextheBrave @ Feb 10 2012, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (A_C @ Feb 9 2012, 06:48 PM)

Looking back over the last 20 years of England managers there is very little correlation between trophies won at club level and success at international level.

As no English manager has ever won the premier league, nor the Champions League it seems it's not just English players who aren't good enough. The last English manager to win the European Cup was Joe Fagan in 1984! How we could do with a Brian Clough-type in charge now...
galraen
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 11:05 AM

Administrator

As no English manager has ever won the premier league

Actually Howard Wilkinson won it, 20 years ago; before your time I guess A_C. Had you even started school then?

So, it looks almost certain now that Roy Hodgson has got the England job, evidently he's the only candidate. Personally I'm relieved, far better choice than Redknap in my opinion. Although Roy hasn't won anything in this country he has had success elsewhere, and took two teams to a EUFA final, which is more than Redknap has done. Harry's resume contains one trophy, when he bought the FA Cup, and we only had to beat a Championship team (and one not good enough to win promotion at that) in the final.

The thing that may have been a major factor in the FA's thinking is that Harry is a walking time bomb; he's always just one quote away from controversy, and he loves to give journalists quotes!

The people who will be most devestated at Harry not getting the job ironically, are Spurs fans; I've yet to talk to a Tottenham fan who doesn't want to see the back of Redknap.
A_C
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 06:04 PM

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (galraen @ Apr 30 2012, 11:05 AM)
As no English manager has ever won the premier league

Actually Howard Wilkinson won it, 20 years ago; before your time I guess A_C. Had you even started school then?

It wasn't the Premier League, it was the old first division Wilkinson won. As far as I recall.

I think that it's no coincidence that Brooking being on the board decided to go with you Roy over Harry. Brooking knows all about Redknapp's shenanigans whilst he was at West Ham, from the brown envelopes to the back stabbing of your best mate to get the West Ham job.
galraen
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 06:43 PM

Administrator

I thought it was the first season of the EPL, but as you point out, it was the last season of the first division.

Once the EPL was allowed to exist it was inevitable that only the richest clubs would stand a chance; so unless one of those appoint an English manager then it's possible that there never will be another English manager who wins it.
SNYMets
Posted: May 1 2012, 08:34 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 317

I agree with you that Hodgson is a better choice than Harry Redknapp. Apart from winning the F A Cup with Portsmouth, HR has never won anything has he?

Roy Hodgson seems like a very decent man, and there can''t be many more experienced managers anywhere in Europe, people forget or maybe don't appreciate that he's managed some top European sides like Inter Milan, Udinese, Malmo, Zurich, as well as managed the Swiss and Finish national teams.

His Premier League record isn't too good, but he's a very safe pair of hands and will give us some stability at last after some very odd choices for England manager in the past few years.
CubbieDream
Posted: May 14 2012, 07:14 PM

All-Star

Member No.: 2

Happy to see that Gary Neville has been added to the coaching staff, he was always a pretty decent player who actually looked proud to represent the country. Also his work on Sky this past season shows how football intelligent he is. A nice addition for Roy.
A_C
Posted: Aug 8 2012, 02:13 PM

Hall of Famer

England, somehow, are ranked third in the world in the latest FIFA rankings laugh.gif
galraen
Posted: Aug 8 2012, 03:48 PM

Administrator

QUOTE (A_C @ Aug 8 2012, 03:13 PM)
England, somehow, are ranked third in the world in the latest FIFA rankings laugh.gif

I wonder how much Septic Bladder had on that outcome with the bookies? rolleyes.gif
glens45
Posted: Aug 8 2012, 09:10 PM

Rookie

Member No.: 438

Lol , don't make me laugh again Galraen , I would love to know how they arrive at that ranking . Judging by the euros we were shockingly average and thank god the S.American's weren't there. The Premiership is held up by foreigners I'm afraid and as a City fan I know that only too well . angry.gif !!
A_C
Posted: Mar 21 2013, 01:42 PM

Hall of Famer

England games are usually dull affairs, but is anyone really going to watch them play San Marino?
galraen
Posted: Mar 21 2013, 02:56 PM

Administrator

QUOTE (A_C @ Mar 21 2013, 02:42 PM)
England games are usually dull affairs, but is anyone really going to watch them play San Marino?

Probably, in the hope of another Stuart Pearce moment! biggrin.gif
A_C
Posted: Mar 21 2013, 03:07 PM

Hall of Famer

Maybe I should stick a few quid on them scoring within 7 seconds then, or whatever it was biggrin.gif
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1299 seconds | Archive