Skin created by Guilty of Graphic Center.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to UK MLB Supporters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Golf Thread
CubbieDream
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 11:05 PM

All-Star

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Thought might as well start this now just to discuss Tiger Woods apology today. First I don't think he needs to apologise to the public, guy needs to focus on his marriage, but the whole thing was so uncomfortable to watch. Didn't look like any of it was coming from him, and that it was all from some PR guru. The whole hugging his mother at the end thing was just a sickening sympathy ploy, again by the PR firm. The people who attended were hand picked, and I think the golf writers association of America actually boycotted the whole thing. No questions were allowed to be asked, and at one point he talked about not blaming Ellen (his wife) about that night with the crash etc......like anyone was going to come away from this thinking, you know what, that Ellen hitting his car with a gold club, that was really dangerous.

I'm not buying that apology at all, until he faces the media, with no script, don't bother asking for an apology.
Leemarlin87
Posted: Jun 19 2011, 06:39 PM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 4

Surely surely surely Rory Mcllory isn't gonna blow it this time.

Been a class apart to everyone else in the field and deserves to win by as big a margin as possible.
AlextheBrave
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 05:02 PM

All-Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

Jason Day was 2nd by 8 shots, his score would have been enough to win 15 of the last 16 US Opens, the courses are generally set to the same tough level every year.

I think that sums up Rory's perfomance, still not as good as Tiger in 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach mind you.
galraen
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 06:40 PM

Administrator

Member No.: 1

Considering all the records Rory broke, I think his performance was better than Woods.
Leemarlin87
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 07:43 PM

Hall of Famer

Just a great 4 days of golf from Rory, he didn't put a foot wrong and just cruised home.

He should of won the Masters as well before he collapsed so it was important for his career I think that he won and din't show any signs of breaking down

Just outstanding, he could dominate this decade the way Tiger did previously
fishandchippers
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 10:13 PM

All-Star

Member No.: 11

simply outstanding and well deserved. Great 4 day performance.
AlextheBrave
Posted: Jun 21 2011, 10:36 AM

All-Star

QUOTE (galraen @ Jun 20 2011, 06:40 PM)
Considering all the records Rory broke, I think his performance was better than Woods.

Without taking anything away from Rory at all, it's not the same as winning by 15 shots as Tiger did in 2000.

How times haves changed, we thought of Tiger then as we do of Rory now. I think Tiger could struggle to win another major let alone challenge the great one's record.

galraen
Posted: Jun 21 2011, 12:06 PM

Administrator

QUOTE (AlextheBrave @ Jun 21 2011, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (galraen @ Jun 20 2011, 06:40 PM)

Without taking anything away from Rory at all, it's not the same as winning by 15 shots as Tiger did in 2000.

How times haves changed, we thought of Tiger then as we do of Rory now. I think Tiger could struggle to win another major let alone challenge the great one's record.

The fact that the opposition couldn't get closer says as much about how the rest of the field played as haw well Woods played. He still didn't break most of the records that Rory broke, measured against the history of the US Open, Mcllory's performance is to me the more impressive.

Mind you had Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan or Palmer had modern tools and easier fairways and greens to play on like modern layers, some of the records they would have set may well be still standing.
AlextheBrave
Posted: Jun 21 2011, 01:50 PM

All-Star

The best golfer of all time generally considered to be Jack Nicklaus followed by Tiger. You agree with this Gal?

One of the attractions of golf for me is that a 50-60 year old can still occasionally go toe to toe with a youngster. Tom Watson's performance in the Open a couple of years ago ranks as one of the greatest performances in sports history for me.
Leemarlin87
Posted: Jul 17 2011, 06:39 PM

Hall of Famer

Got to say Congratulations to Darren Clarke on winning the Open.

I must admit I thought his time and window to win a major had come and gone but he proved me wrong.

Was consistent over the 4 days whilst everyone else was losing it in the poor weather.

And a British winner of the open finally
galraen
Posted: Jul 17 2011, 09:57 PM

Administrator

The best golfer of all time generally considered to be Jack Nicklaus followed by Tiger. You agree with this Gal?

Difficult to say. I think Jack was the best I've seen, but how can anyone living today compare him or Woods to Ben Hogan? I sure can't. Like in most sports it's invidious to try and compare players from different eras, so much has changed since I was a kid. Graphite shafts, bigger balls (in this country) more manicured fairways and even greens and the rough doesn't seem to be as rough as I recall in the 60's and 70's. Because of all that I'd still put Arnold Palmer ahead of Woods, and not so sure that Woods is actually above Tom Watson.

PS If you include the way they carried themselves Woods would be even further behind the likes of Palmer, Watson and Nicklaus.
Leemarlin87
Posted: Apr 8 2012, 11:37 PM

Hall of Famer

Bubba Watson wins the Masters

Brilliant last day for him to force a playoff and then a brilliant shot after a wayward tee to set up the win.

Great win
Kid Cuddy
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 01:33 AM

All-Star

Member No.: 302

Yea another great Masters Sunday. It is my favourite major of the year. There is always drama you can never forsee which I think is what makes it so special. I must say I love Sky's coverage of golf especially when they have the heavyweight pundits of Monty & Butch in the studio (No pun intended re their weight lol)

Louis's albatross at the second was incredible as was Bubba's to the second the second playoff hole.

Looking forward to the US Open in June now in San Francisco. Hopefully a few of our Ryder Cup boys can contend for the title.
Miracle Mets
Posted: Apr 7 2014, 08:59 PM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 563

It's Masters Week, yes!! - the start of 4 days of wealthy, middle aged men chasing a small white ball across a field until they become even wealthier and more middle aged.

smile.gif

I actually started playing golf again about 18 months ago for the first time in about 30 years, played a bit as a junior back in 'the old country' all around the Fylde coast where there were probably 20 courses within about 1 hour's drive, mostly links courses. Took it up again after buying a decent second-hand set of clubs the summer before last, and then a golfing friend gave me a few lessons. I've always been an armchair TV-golf fan, but it's one sport where I think you much better appreciate it, and understand it, if you actually play it yourself, people who hate golf and find it boring do so because they've never played it, but anyone who has played a couple of rounds, and/or achieved some level of proficiency, I'd be very surprised if they then said that they still hate it.

user posted image

But the real Majors season starts on Thursday at the Masters in Augusta...rarely seen such an unpredictable major as this year, there are probably 50 guys whose names can rightfully be thrown into the mix.

Tiger Woods is out, and as he is having back surgery one wonders for how long. Whereas he was a lock to pass Jack for total majors, his game now looks in disarray, and his greatest strength - mental fortitude - seems to have deserted him.

So it's wide open. Can't think of a favourite, though I'm always rooting for Phil Mickelson, - with 5 majors he's now squarely in the discussion of all-time elite players, his game looks a little shaky right now, but providing he makes the cut and is within 5 or 6 shots of the lead at the half-way point, he'll be tought to beat.

2014 Masters: Odds to Win (as of April 5)

Rory McIlroy 10/1
Adam Scott 10/1
Phil Mickelson 15/1
Jason Day 15/1
Dustin Johnson 15/1
Jordan Spieth 20/1
Zach Johnson 20/1
Brandt Snedeker 25/1
Bubba Watson 25/1
Matt Kuchar 25/1
Adam31
Posted: Apr 10 2014, 07:59 PM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 26

Do enjoy 'The Masters' usually don't care about citing tradition and heritage as a reason to support anything, but there's an obvious classical feel about this tournament that makes far more enjoyable and prestigious than the sports other majors.

My 3 punts for the week were Rickie Fowler, Hunter Mahan and Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano.

Do feel golf still loses out massively when Tiger doesn't play, might turn many casual fans off that he's not there.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1287 seconds | Archive