Photobucket

Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Two Houses Unite. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Halloween: A Double Standard
dryvby
Posted: Dec 30 2008, 08:26 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

First off, I split this up so if you don't have time to read this all since it is long, you can read sections. It's a lot to consider.

'Tis is the season of Halloween, the day where some of us celebrate mimicking demons, celebrate the fall festivals, and then some of us just don't care. Before recently changing my faith over to a new direction in my walk with Jesus, Halloween was my favorite holiday. I didn't really care about the traditions of the Celtics, or the meaning. I said what most people do today: these are old traditions, and I celebrate Halloween in a different way.

Before I go into the point of this blog, I wanted to explain the direction in where I'm coming from. Assuming Christians are reading this, I'm going to share some passages that explain further my points for later. One thing that the Christians of today have left out of their doctrines and churches is the true biblical definition of faith, and why as Christians (followers of the Messiah) we generally do not believe we have to obey the God that is of Israel and His commands (Torah). I mean, the New Testament tells us in Romans 3:20 " ...for by the law is the knowledge of sin." It's dangerous that we all believe that Jesus is the Word of God, the manifestation of God in the flesh, yet we believe that the New Testament replaces the Old Testament. That is biblical false, but that's for my upcoming writings that I'm still working on. The focus of this is to present a new view of how we see certain holidays as from the 'evil one' and then others as 'holy'.

To start, I'm assuming we take what God says as something to heed to, or listen to. How better do we know what is evil, what is not and what to follow if we do not test it through God? Since the New Covenant of God for man isn't going to go into much detail abut everything already explained in the Old, let's just get right to the point.

Pagan Traditions!
In Deuteronomy 12:30-31, God commands us not to follow the ways of the pagans and He does not want to be celebrated the way they celebrate their gods. Again, we see similar commands in Leviticus 18:30, where God tells us not to associate with these abominable traditions of heathen men. Why does God care? Several times throughout the bible, we see that when man follows this 'small and harmless' traditions, people fall from God and begin to follow other things. Do we not see this even in our Christian churches? The church becomes acceptance to some of the pagan rituals of Babylon, and now we have Christians that think that being a good person allows entry into heaven, that sexual immorality is okay, and that we no longer need God's commands in our life, just the ones of Jesus. Again, I'll go into this in detail later, because that's a different category all together.

The point is we as Christians have become accepting to these traditions by making our own mock traditions for theses holidays. The church over the years from when even I was growing up went from 'ignore this holiday' to 'let's make a church event for this night to lead us away from this devil worship day'. In a sense, that makes a lot of sense, right? But what does the church do? We bob for apples, we put on plays, we have parties, we dress us, and anything else, but we call it a 'harvest festival' or something to that effect. We decorate our pumpkins with crosses instead of witches. We dress up like biblical figures instead of zombies. What have we done? We've done nothing more than renamed Halloween to a new name, changed what we dress up like, and hang out with our church buddies. Doesn't the bible talk about "wolves in sheep's clothing"? We're still celebrating that day, on that day, and making excuses. "We're filled with the holy spirit and preach on this day...". Why not just ignore the day all together? Why can't parents just tell their teenage kids the reasons we shouldn't celebrate these days instead of telling rebellious teens that they can't because 'we said so'. You know what I'm going to do on Halloween night? I'm not going to even acknowledge it as a 'special day', because when you make a big deal out of a day that is flooded with pagan roots, you're making a big deal of that pagan root and acknowledging it has some power of you. I'm going to do what I always do on Halloween, ignore it.

What Does God Say About Holidays?
How about the bible? What does it say about celebrating the traditions of Babylon/pagans/heathens and making it holy? Can you biblicaly convert a holiday into something that it's not? The church tells us yes, but our Messiah and His followers say otherwise. It's not surprising that we add to God's word and think we can change holidays into holy days, since God's people (Jews and Christians) have once again sinned and are following wicked things of the world. Here are some verses from our Holy Bible that warns us about holidays and celebrations.

In Deuteronomy 12:29-32, we're told that when we go into pagan nations, be careful on how you worship God and if it is wicked, cut off from it. Worship Him the way He wants to be served, not the way pagan nations are worshiping. So some of us will not fall into confusion, let's look at the word pagan. Pagan is just another term for gentile, a term we are all familiar with from the New Covenant/Testament. It just means someone that is not Jewish (Christianity is included in this since we are grafted in as Jews; we go from Gentile to Jew). Anyway, God is telling us directly to look into these days that people tell us to follow. This includes our family, which would also include our church family. In 1 John 4:1, we're told to test the spirits that are given to us. How do we test these spirits? I think we can easily answer this through Romans 11:16, where we're told "For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.". Well, if the roots of Halloween are wicked and pagan, then how can you make them clean? Can they ever be clean?

The story of the golden calf in Exodus seem so outdated, doesn't it? If we read the stories from Exodus 32:4-, we find that Jeroboam had tried to mix the traditions of paganism and God together. Did that mix well? Absolutely not! In fact, we find that if we look deep into the bible with this story alone, we see that this false god worship is a repeated throughout biblical history, such as in I Kings 12:28-30. Could it be repeated again through our Western civilized culture? Do you see a formula Satan has planted in place of God's glory to try and destroy what is His? We'll come back to this in a moment...

Remember in Deuteronomy 12:29-32 where we read that if it is wicked, cut off from it? If the bible tells us to turn away from (repentance) these wicked days, then why are we just changing them? Remember that Romans 11:16 tells us to test these spirits, so by researching these holidays, we can see where the roots are from. If we are lead to believe that we can change the spirits of these days by changing the God we worship these days, then we do not believe that roots are of importance in our walk with Christ. In Matthew 10:37, Jesus tells us not to love man more than Him. He is God, so why do we disobey Him so much by not listening to His warnings? 1 Timothy 4:7 tells us to ignore man's traditions. But then again, we're told in 2 Timothy 4:3 that man will turn away from the true doctrine to follow man's doctrine. Let's further examine man's doctrine on how we should live, or what the church is saying okay that flat out is NOT of our Heavenly Father or His Holy Spirit.

Are Our 'Leaders' Leading Us Astray?
The church tells us we can celebrate these days by making them holy. That is unbiblical. The church tells us these holidays are just old 'fables' or 'traditions' and they're 'silly'. Completely untrue. We're told that our leaders will become indoctrinated with doctrines of demons. That would be anything that is a teaching from the deceiver. Romans 16:17 tells us to disregard anything that is not of the true teaching and not of God's teaching.

I do not believe the church leaders today, at least most of them, think they are doing the will of Satan by just changing a holiday to help our youth. It is hard as a leader, I'm sure, to keep members when it's so easy to just jump on Satan's bandwagon these days, especially here in America. Satan makes everything look so great, and you'd think good can come out of changing things to make them good. But if we look at even the first sin, Adam and Eve, disobeyed God's command because something looked good. God didn't make it anymore easier, but He provided alternatives. Of all the fruit, He said not to eat one. Jesus adds a little bit to the identity of Satan by saying he's a "deceiver" and he comes as an "angel of Light". What does an angel of light mean? Well, light is of God, so he obviously comes as a deceiver to make something that looks good look holy as well. We'll come back to this in the next and last section.

With that being said, again, I don't think your church leaders are deliberately trying to trick us. I think they are blind to what they are teaching and what they are saying. I think it comes from Satan telling us things we do need and what we do not need. But I think God knew this would happen, even in His own church. In Revelations 18:4, we are told to come out of Babylon and turn from her ways (her traditions and teachings) and go back to God again. This verse applies to all, Jews and Gentiles. Again, another thing I'll be writing in the near future, but for now this verse is importance because we as the Christians have turned away from what was God's and followed the fake gods of others. Let me finish this section by giving you a few research verses, then my second point to this long writing.

In Mark 7:5-9, Jesus warns us of holding onto our traditions. Jeremiah 7:17- is a complete story of families mixing with pagan traditions. Deuteronomy 13:13-14 tells us to investigate the people that gives us these days. Could we investigate the Romans and the Celtics, who gave us these days we accept as holidays acceptable to our 'jealous God'? Maybe we should look up the worship of the Sun god, the Apis calf, and other pagan rituals we follow because the church has said it was okay. What do we think when we disobey God and then read about Jesus calling the Pharisee's hypocrites? Are we not in the same boat with our holidays, even our 'Christian holidays' that are no less pagan than this day of Hallow's Eve? 1 Kings 12:25-13:34 gives us examples of how a holiday is created. 1 Thess 1:7-9 gives us an example of people turning from their ways only to follow God.

The Double-Standard Rule
I know it took a while to get to this point, but I find it just as important to gather information about how much God gives us as a warning to mixing His glory with our man made glories. I labeled this a double-standard because I feel in our Western civilization, we've given into the temptations of Satan and eaten again of the fruit that corrupted us in the first place. So, how is Halloween a double standard?

Well, because it's easy to accept that Halloween is a day to celebrate that of Satan, and it's a lot easier for us to give up this day yet yearly, we celebrate holidays and traditions that are dedicated to other gods and give the praise to God, as if He wants those praises. We easily condemn Halloween, yet we still find it acceptable to celebrate Easter and Christmas and have church on Sunday. If you are lukewarm (not acceptable to Halloween, but acceptable to Christmas/Easter), then what's the point? I dug into the roots of Christmas and Easter, and even Sunday, and came to the conclusion that it's no different for a Christian to celebrate Halloween if he/she is to celebrate Christmas or Easter. The church leaders have told us that Halloween is an evil 'pagan' day, but we do not even flinch when we put that Christmas tree up!

Read Jeremiah 10:1-5. How clear does that have to be about tradition following, what we should NOT do, and even the Christmas tree? Paganism has it's ugly hand in our holidays, yet we claim the name of Jesus Christ, then wonder why our Jewish brethren can't see that worship the God of Israel. In Acts 19:24-, we see a story of a blacksmith that has turned to Jesus but doesn't want to give us a festive because he will lose money. The Romans introduced Christianity to the holiday of Sol Invictus, and 300 years after seeing the Romans have great feast, we decided that we wanted a piece of that. Did you even know that Christmas was banned by law in a few states here in the United States because they found it to be a wicked day? Europe did the same thing. Yet Satan came through again and reestablished it through our churches. Remember when we read in Romans about looking at the roots of holidays? Does Christmas have pagan roots or holy roots? Easter, does it? Even the sabbath being on Sunday? Do we 'blindly follow' or do we do as the bible says and

So what holidays DO we celebrate? Well, Jesus doesn't need a birthday gift once a year. He gave US a gift, and we can spread that gift through spreading His word and following His commands (all of them, not just the ones that are convenient). Do as He did, and follow the holidays that He gave before. Leviticus 23 gives us several great holidays that we have chosen not to follow since they are "Jewish". But if we look to our New Testament, 1 Col. 5:8 tells us to keep the feast (which ones? The ones of GOD!), then in 1 Peter 1:15-16 we're told to be LIKE Jesus. Jesus celebrated the passover (read also I Cor. 10:14-22), Jesus celebrate the festivals of God, acknowledged the 'Feast of Dedication' (Hanukkah), and celebrated Sabbath on Friday sundown/Saturday sundown. The early church celebrated 'easter' through the passover, as Jesus know because that Lamb (1 Cor 5:7). We didn't celebrate Jesus' birthday, just as the Jews never celebrated Abraham's birthday or any other birthdays. We should celebrate Jesus' birth daily, not just on a specific day. The corrupter has his hands all over this!

Do not be as 2 Timothy 4:3 tells us and ignore the truth. I am not condemning but showing you the truth, just as His disciples did! For the church leader that gave us these days was named Constantine and from his own mouth when establishing Christmas, Easter, and a universal worship day on Sunday stated “Let us then have nothing in common with the detestable Jewish crowd.”, yet our own bible tells us in Acts 28:22 states that we were a sect of Judaism, meaning they followed the same Sabbath. The bible has several verses stating that Jesus is the Branch and we are rooted into the natural root. Why would a branch of an apple tree produce peaches? Then why would a branch of an 'Old Testament God' tell us that it's now okay to worship the way pagans do as long as we replace their names with Jesus? Why would the 'everlasting God' change His mind about these things and then tell us we can pick what day we want Sabbath on? Satan is the anti-Branch, the anti-Christ, and the angel of light, and the deceiver, and through him we are doing the things we were warned about by thinking these rules are 'silly' and think that we can worship/celebrate God the way we want.

After reading this, I hope you see the double-standard rules we give as Christians. Halloween is evil (unless celebrated a certain way), but Christmas and Easter is great! Halloween is evil because of it's pagan roots, but Christmas is different somehow. Let's do as God wants us, drop these evil ways that Babylon has given us (again, Revelations 18:4), and let's praise God the correct way and quit making excuses for our actions. We shouldn't judge one holiday for something if the holiday we say is holy has a few planks in it's own eye.

Ending
I hope you enjoyed reading this and please pray about the scriptures you read and the words I gave, examine these that I've given and then look to your own heart and see if you see the sin in which we live and call that of Christ, our Lord Jesus.

Please, do not listen to me as if I am a teacher, rather than a messenger. I'm still in a complete learning process and will document my findings as I see, but rather follow the ways of our God. Bring to attention even in your church the questioning of these traditions man has found fit for us. I leave you with one last verse that sums up the importance of keeping with Jesus' rules, teachings and traditions. 2 John 1:9 tells us that if we (you and I) violate His commands and do not continue in the doctrine or instructions of Jesus, then we are not really of God. Makes sense, though, right? Being a Christian means we are to walk in His way, and if He didn't celebrate these days and His followers didn't celebrate these days and these teachings of the 'wolves', then why should we if we truly walk in HIS way and not MAN'S doctrine?
« Next Oldest | Christmas, Easter, and Sunday | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0884 seconds | Archive