Welcome to The Harkovast Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (174) « First ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

So what do you want to know?, Ask and ye shall learn...
Renard
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 06:47 PM

Badger State Commandant

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

So he sees the very purpose of his existence as being about accumulating and holding power, and his every waking moment is dedicated to achieving this end.

That brings up a few other questions that you aren't likely to answer.

Does the KitW sleep? I know it's silly to ask, but does he sleep or is he sort of like the spirit of Sauron, constantly vigilant?

Is the KitW really a man? We've sort of assumed that the the King in the West is a man, but for all we know "he" could very well be a woman, a genderless evil spirit, a force that simply exists, or even a Lovecraftian abomination (which, for the record, would be very bitching).

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Canuovea
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 07:36 PM

Current Ultimate Harko Fan and Centurion Canadia

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5

I'm leaning towards a Morgothian kind of spirit-like being that can take physical form if it so chooses...

As for gender, well, look at how the Speaker and Hark Talk. I know Hark has referred to the KITW as "He", with the capitalized "H" just because that is how we refer to God, sometimes.

We also know that the KITW appears to be immortal, and I'm willing to guess that sleep isn't exactly a concern for Him.

Hmm. He seems fairly straightforward at the moment, but we will have to see. One of the things about this comic that got my attention was the kind of reversal of the standard. You see, for instance, that the idea of the one true God was a "good thing" according to Christians, Muslims, etc. But, that kind of monotheism gets turned on its head here... I liked it. But the comparison between Christianity and The West was one I couldn't help but note.

Also, I've had a thought, but if the Lel are machines... they wouldn't be related in any way to The Machine created by the Nymus gods, would they? Something that just occurred to me.

--------------------
Resident philosophy and history nut. And amateur swordsman.

"Purple swords? Darsai are weird." -Elyssa

I have: 3601 Harko-points +1000
Renard
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 07:48 PM

Badger State Commandant

I thought the Lel were moles who built machines.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Canuovea
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 08:16 PM

Maybe, but... I'm not sure. The Skyman (I think), for instance, is a Lel, but he looks pretty... well... mechanical to me.

--------------------

Renard
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 08:32 PM

Badger State Commandant

He could have been created by the Lel.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Canuovea
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 08:35 PM

Or he could be a Lel... but a Darth Vader Lel... "more machine now, then Lel. Twisted and evil..."

--------------------

Renard
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 08:48 PM

Badger State Commandant

Moles don't have long, thin tails. Unless the Lel like to modify their bodies beyond recognition using mechanical augmentation.

In that case I don't think there's any point in saying that they're moles to begin with.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Harkovast
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 10:43 PM

The cause of all this silliness (sorry about that!)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Renard you are right, the KITW could be any of those things.

The Lel could also be any of the things that have been said here.

Makes you wonder.

--------------------
"...the details escape me right now."
-Sir Muir on life.
Renard
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 01:57 AM

Badger State Commandant

So if the average Tsung-Dao soldier is forbidden from using a sword, what sorts of weapons can enemies of the Tsung-Dao expect to face?

We've seen Chen-Chen armed with a staff, several of the Tang-Dao had pole-arms, Lon-Sing has a war hammer, but most of the militia were shown armed with short spears.

That strikes me as somewhat impractical, arming the majority of your foot soldiers with spears and barring them from using swords unless they are full-time warriors.

Then again, you've made it pretty clear that the Tsung-Dao are all about tradition and routine.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Harkovast
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 02:20 AM

All weapons are on the cards for militia (within the generally Japanese theme their weapons take) but swords are samurai only.
Now a samurai does not have to use a sword, but he or she is the only one who can.

Spears are a fairly standard weapon for militia to use as they are simple to make and use, and work well for groups of people fighting together (the way militia would typically fight.)

A sword is a weapon for someone fighting as an individual and so is more suited to a samurai.

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Renard
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 02:24 AM

Badger State Commandant

I'm more used to infantry tactics that involve firearms, so I defer to your (I assume well researched) wisdom.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Harkovast
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 02:30 AM

Well if you imagine the way a group of a people with spears would fight (standing side by side and thrusting their weapons, the guys at the back thrusting past guys infront) its less about individual skill and more about group coherence.

Where as if you imagine a swordsman fighting they are swinging their weapons, stabbing, moving around etc. By its nature the guy using it has to be doing his own thing some what and relying on his own skills for protection.
(Roman swords are different, being short and for stabbing, so they could all stand shoulder to shoulder, thrusting their weapons past their shields, but for larger, slashing swords, my observations hold true.)

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Canuovea
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 02:33 AM

I object to the characterization of the sword as an individual weapon.

Well. Okay, the Katana maybe. That is the thing with slashy swords, you need room to use them.

Swords can be used in a shield wall, though, which is very much group based. The gladius is particularly effective at this, though by far not the only sword capable of it.

Edit: Damn it Hark, did you just edit that and add some brackets? Because I could swear that those weren't there before!

But it makes my point.

Edit Edit: No, wait, you hadn't written that. Huh. Thinking the same thing.

--------------------

Harkovast
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 03:19 AM

Canouvea I work fast!

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Canuovea
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 05:01 AM

Indeed you do Hark.

In fact, fun tid bit for Renard, the reason that the Celts invading Italy ended up being cut to pieces by the Romans was the fact that they were more individualistic and required lots of room to swing their broadswords about. The Roman re-engineering of their military simply changed things up and... lo and behold... suddenly the Celts didn't have the room to swing the massive things about. And then the Romans closed and stabbed the life out of them.

--------------------

« Next Oldest | Harkovast- The Comic | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (174) « First ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2578 seconds | Archive