Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Harkovast Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (6) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6  ( Go to first unread post )

TWC change
Harkovast
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 08:33 PM

The cause of all this silliness (sorry about that!)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Ano-Chee are all about tassels!
They aren't brightly coloured or anything, just tan leather.

--------------------
"...the details escape me right now."
-Sir Muir on life.
Renard
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 11:30 PM

Badger State Commandant

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

What the hell is keeping his face rag on? The thing that would keep it on the top of his head is the general roundness of his head, and the fact that it would conform to that shape and have a pretty snug fit, like most hats.

But trying to put it on the side of the head? It would fall off by itself pretty easily, even if he didn't try to speak, or have facial expressions, or move quickly, or (most importantly) fight, unless he had a string to go around his head, like with an eye patch.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Harkovast
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 11:58 PM

Its tied on pretty tight.
He gets them specially made for his head.

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Renard
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 12:15 AM

Badger State Commandant

I'm not buying that excuse, but I'll let it slide this time.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Harkovast
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 09:51 AM

I can change the way he is draw so his bandana has an ear hole on the other side to help it stay on better.
Thanks for the feed back, have 20 harko points.

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Renard
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 10:03 PM

Badger State Commandant

Thanks.

Did you add the voting incentive archive to this site?

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Harkovast
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 10:15 PM

No, I should do that.
Have 20 points for another good suggestion.

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Renard
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 10:20 PM

Badger State Commandant

The others can take their occasional massive rewards of many points, I'm happy to collect a more frequent, if smaller, supply points.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Renard
Posted: Jun 7 2012, 11:54 PM

Badger State Commandant

This is probably the first time (in reality or fiction) that I've seen the words mercenary, arms dealer, and hero used to describe the same person. Arms dealers and mercenaries are usually low-level thugs at best, and at worst are people like Basil Zaraoff and Viktor Bout.

I'm not sure what to make of the little drawing at the bottom right. I didn't think Golta could smile, I thought the closest they could muster would be a grimace, or maybe a sneer. That's just odd, like seeing a photo of Hitler with his dog, or Stalin at a picnic; these are people who aren't suppose to do things that we can relate to, let alone enjoy them.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Harkovast
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 12:18 AM

Good guys need weapons so an arms dealer is not inherently evil.
Everyone needs to make a living, expecting to get paid for fighting is not evil so a mercenary can be a goodie too.

A smiling Golta? Surely a sign of the apocalypse?
Also, Renard have 20 points for clicking my twc button.

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Renard
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 01:10 AM

Badger State Commandant

I suppose, but the heroes don't usually get their weapons from a guy who sells weapons to whoever can pay him, whether he's dealing with a military that means well but doesn't have the firepower to secure it's national borders, or dealing with both sides of a war.

There are arms dealers who aren't shady, but it's far more lucrative to sell whatever you can get to whoever can foot the bill, and to assume that people get involved in the arms distribution business for any reason other than making money is pretty naive. Having said that, not everyone involved in the arms business is without scruples, and I'm sure Zilfay is one of those people.

It isn't wrong to ask for payment in return for fighting in a conflict or war, most armies in the world pay their troops. The problem arises when you start talking about businesses or individuals that get paid to fight in conflicts or wars while having no real connection to the fight beyond their contract.

I read somewhere that most times a PMC is hired for actual combat, it's usually to support a military force that isn't effectively trained or equipped to fight by itself, and that any company that gets involved is going to have to use force, which means that they're more likely to slip up and do something bad. So the larger companies usually stay away from that sort of contract, preferring support and training contracts, ones where they're expected to provide security in case of trouble rather than being committed to front-line combat, or when they're working directly for a reputable democratic nation (it looks good for them, and their client isn't as likely to drag them into a mess). But larger companies still do some pretty underhanded work in secret.

The point being that it's hard to trust anyone who offers their services as a soldier in return for payment.

Again, I'm sure Zilfay is an exception to the apparent rule.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Harkovast
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 01:58 AM

Normally people who go around killing other people are bad, but in some context that is acceptable or even praise worthy (such as the cast of Harkovast killing bad guys.)
Killing people seems more morally questionable than selling people weapons (or at least as bad.)

Zilfay has standards, and wouldn't throw her lot in with someone she thought was evil. Having said that, she does provide her services in conflicts in which she has no particular vested interest (such as the low level wars between Eslum nations), where neither side is particularly the good or bad one. In her view, the people there feel they need to fight each other and are willing to pay her very well to help out with that goal.
But being a personal of good character she wouldn't stick with a side she felt was behaving badly, such as killing prisoners or pillaging or fighting for a cause she saw as immoral. With Golta Mercenaries in such demand she is able to pick which wars she wants to get involved in.
Basically, when there is a war going on, Zilfay is a good person to know.
Aside from her bad ass skills in battle, she can get you Golta troops, supplies and logistic expertise.
In the Nameless War she helped to liberate Golta cities from the oppression of The Machine and his cult of disciples.

And when she talks she sounds Welsh.

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Canuovea
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 03:06 AM

Current Ultimate Harko Fan and Centurion Canadia

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5

She runs around and shoots people. Now, let me see if I can remember if Ganbaro is Gay or not... its a two out of three chance...

Sounds Welsh? You mean in an accent that goes up and down like the hills?

The Machine. Did Muir fight that one as well? Sounds like he did.

--------------------
Resident philosophy and history nut. And amateur swordsman.

"Purple swords? Darsai are weird." -Elyssa

I have: 3601 Harko-points +1000
Renard
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 09:50 PM

Badger State Commandant

Arms dealers and mercenaries in our world are often pretty questionable, and even those who have a respectable reputation often have some serious skeletons in their closets, but Harkovast is obviously not our world.

Are we left to imagine a Welsh accent, or are you going to write her dialogue in a way that would sound the way a Welsh person would speak it? If so, can you give an example of how you would write dialogue for our smiling Welsh badger?

I was going to say something about "knowing" sheep in the Biblical sense, but I figured that would be in poor taste.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Harkovast
Posted: Jun 9 2012, 01:03 AM

Use of the term "boyo" and ending sentences that are statements as questions.

"We need to fight the Nameless, isn't it?"
"Is that right, boyo?"
And so on.

If you dont know what Welsh people sound like you can probably find videos by welsh people on youtube to give you an idea.

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
« Next Oldest | Harkovast- The Comic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (6) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1198 seconds | Archive