Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Harkovast Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Chapter 1- Harko-shit?, Make yourselves heard!
Harkovast
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 10:24 PM

The cause of all this silliness (sorry about that!)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

That's how I will make my millions!

--------------------
"...the details escape me right now."
-Sir Muir on life.
Renard
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 10:44 PM

Badger State Commandant

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

Just remember Wordweaver and me when you have more money than God.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Canuovea
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 06:27 AM

Current Ultimate Harko Fan and Centurion Canadia

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5

Does God have money?

... I mean, the Vatican has money, but I'm pretty sure they use it all themselves.

--------------------
Resident philosophy and history nut. And amateur swordsman.

"Purple swords? Darsai are weird." -Elyssa

I have: 3601 Harko-points +1000
Renard
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 03:26 PM

Badger State Commandant

Somehow I knew you were going to ask that...

Any one of us has more money than God, but "More money than the Pope" doesn't sound the same.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Canuovea
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 07:27 PM

Current Ultimate Harko Fan and Centurion Canadia

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5

Oh, damn, I'm becoming predictable.

--------------------
Resident philosophy and history nut. And amateur swordsman.

"Purple swords? Darsai are weird." -Elyssa

I have: 3601 Harko-points +1000
Harkovast
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 11:39 PM

When you give money to the catholic church it goes directly to God (spiritually...obviously the Pope and his mates keep the real physical money. They aren't crazy! Big hats and robes are not cheap!)

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Renard
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:03 AM

Badger State Commandant

Nor is running the smallest sovereign nation in the world, complete with Swiss mercenaries.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Wordweaver_three
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 06:00 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 27

I'm not sure how great Swiss mercs are. Do they ever actually fight? In the past 200 years has there ever been any actual violence perpetrated by the Swiss?

I mean, their banks, sure, but their soldiers?

--------------------
250 Harko-points!

I suck!
Harkovast
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 09:55 AM

There was a period of history (you will have to go look it up...I think late medieval but dont quote me) where the swiss mercenaries were known to be the best in the world.

Historically the swiss have always had a strong military (to back up their neutrality, you need to be able to put off would be attackers.)
Even today they have a large and well equipped military.
Though obviously these days it seems a bit pointless to spend so much (since they are surrounded by european nations so the idea of them getting attacked is pretty silly) its considered a patriotic thing and a symbol of their proud independence (lets face it...they are probably the most independent nation in the world! They dont have a commitment to anybody!) They still have national service where young men serve a term in the military.

So hooray for Switzerland!
Harkovast does not really have an entirely neutral country in that sense...though it has ones that actively involve getting involved in foreign disputes.

--------------------
-Sir Muir on life.
Wordweaver_three
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 11:14 AM

Advanced Member

It was the Swiss army knives that makes them so tough. The distinct advantage that a corkscrew, a pipe cleaner, and tiny scissors gives you in combat has been proven over the years.

And of course they use their cheese for target practice. That's where the holes come from.

--------------------
250 Harko-points!

I suck!
Renard
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 06:22 PM

Badger State Commandant

Any person serving in the Swiss militia is required by law to keep their military issued weapons in their home, including their fully-automatic assault rifle (although they can't keep military issued ammunition at their home, and civilian supplies of 5.56mm NATO are allowed, but government controlled). So for 10 years out of their life, every man in Switzerland is required by law to keep a military rifle in his possession.

Consider also that the Wehrmacht supply lines from Germany to Italy had to go through France, rather than taking a direct route by rail through Switzerland. Germany would have invaded Switzerland during the war, but they found out that the Swiss had set up defenses that would have caused thousands of casualties, and that they intended to destroy all roads and railways that were in the path of a German advance (if it came to that).

The army that took over almost the entirety of Europe with little effort, one of the greatest examples of an Evil Empire, was scared to invade a little neutral nation that was surrounded on all sides by their armies.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Wordweaver_three
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 11:50 PM

Advanced Member

I don't think it was so much that they were scared of them, more along the lines of why bother? The Swiss had made it perfectly clear that they had no intention of getting involved in the war outside of aggressive action by the Nazi's. What's more they were perfectly happy to take bribes in exchange for continued neutrality. The war was very lucrative for the Swiss and once the Germans controlled every country on the border they essentially had the Swiss in control anyway. They were completely cut off from the rest of the world. The Swiss were defeated without the Germans ever stepping foot into the country.

--------------------
250 Harko-points!

I suck!
Renard
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 12:10 AM

Badger State Commandant

Yes and no. Had Britain been invaded successfully, and had the war on the Eastern Front gone in favor of Germany (i.e., had the Wehrmacht ignored Hitler and sent their available strength to take the oilfields in the Caucasus rather than pouring men, material, and equipment into taking Stalingrad) then they would have annexed Switzerland. But in the interim they controlled the direct paths to Italy via rail and road, which would have helped when the Allies invaded and began gaining ground in the Mediterranean, rather than wasting time and fuel moving war materials from Germany through France.

Perhaps scared isn't the best word, but wary? Yes. Not so much because the high command imagined the Swiss being capable of harming Germany, but because they knew that an invasion of Switzerland could very well lead to a Pyrrhic victory. They would get the banks and everything kept in them, but a lot of the major roads and rail lines would be impassible for months at least if the Swiss military decided to cut their losses and blow things up.

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
Wordweaver_three
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 11:16 AM

Advanced Member

Saying the Swiss have a great fighting force is like saying you're a great chess player, even though you've never played chess.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda is irrelevant. What did happen was the Swiss accepted wealth they knew was stolen from the Jews. What did happen was Switzerland produced and sold arms to the Axis. What did happen was the Swiss GDP spiked monstrously during the war. What did happen was the Swiss stood by idly behind their precious "neutrality" while some of the most horrific events in European history occurred.

The Swiss told themselves for generations that "The Nazi's feared our military might", but that's a lie. The Germans could have rolled them as easily as they did Poland. There was simply no need to, the Swiss were willingly doing everything for them they would have them do anyway. The added bonus was that the Allies weren't going to bomb the weapons factories of a "neutral" country.

--------------------
250 Harko-points!

I suck!
Renard
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 04:55 PM

Badger State Commandant

I never said they have a great and proven fighting force, I'm saying that it would be a little tricky invading a country that has a lot of guns, and has made clear they they're willing to use scorched earth policies to make sure the enemy gets nothing useful from them.

I don't really think that it's fair to say that the Swiss should have done something considering that any action against Germany would have resulted in their being invaded, and perhaps getting their share of atrocities for good measure. They did collaborate to some extent, this is true, but IBM provided the computers needed to organize the operation of the concentration and death camp system, and the British military received intelligence about the location and purpose of several death camps but refuse to act, or when the USAF and RAF bombed Dresden, targeting the city center rather than the industrialized suburbs, or

If you chose a nation during the war you can find something that they or certain groups within them should or should not have done. No nation involved in any war can escape without at least one event that tarnishes their record.

Why are we discussing this on the thread about the first chapter of Harkovast being awful?

--------------------
4400 Harkopoints
« Next Oldest | Hall of Shame | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1435 seconds | Archive