Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to S.A.K.E.

We are the Society for the Advancement of Knowledge and Education. Our motto is: For goodness: S.A.K.E.

Name:   Password:

Mathematics
Dave
Posted: 17:59 Wednesday 20 February 2013

Age of Reason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

“Was mathematics discovered or invented?”

This is a question posted on My Math Forum.

I suppose you could ask a similar question: “Are magical spells in the Harry Potter books discovered or invented?” rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Sophie
Posted: 18:15 Wednesday 20 February 2013

Age of Reason

Member No.: 2

I would say that mathematical concepts were discovered, but mathematical tools, techniques and methods used to solve problems or advance understanding of mathematical concepts were invented.

Mathematical concepts exist whether mathematicians exist to think about them or not. They can therefore only be discovered, not invented.

--------------------
Vera
Posted: 22:46 Wednesday 20 February 2013

Age of Reason

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (Sophie @ 18:15 Wednesday 20 February 2013)
Mathematical concepts exist whether mathematicians exist to think about them or not.

Try telling that to Bishop George Berkeley (about whom I have just read in the glossary at the end of chapter 12, “Philosophy and ideas”, under the section THE HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT in volume 2, “The human world”, of the Reader’s Digest Library of Modern Knowledge). ninja.gif

--------------------
Sophie
Posted: 14:47 Friday 22 February 2013

Age of Reason

Member No.: 2

Friday 22 February 2013

Top maths pupils in England fail to keep up with world’s best

The ablest primary pupils in England almost match those in Taiwan and Hong Kong in maths but fall back by the time they are 16, a study suggests.

The top 10% of English secondary pupils also drop behind those in Australia, Scotland, Slovenia and Norway, analysis of international test scores indicates.

But the bottom 10% catch up slightly with their peers overseas according to the Institute of Education research.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Natural Sciences & Mathematics | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0769 seconds | Archive