InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

RH is officially closed as of July 31, 2011.
The board and posts will remain online (as long as Invisionfree allows) as a read-only archive.
Members are encouraged to join Rabbit Addict to continue the habbit. RIP RH!

fetal giants
Tinkerbell Rabbitry
Posted: Mar 21 2011, 09:10 PM

About To Get Fired

Group: Members
Member No.: 519

What causes them?? One of my does just had a litter today and she had one DOA fetal giant, no other rabbits in the litter. sad.gif This is the second time the doe has given me a fetal giant, the first time she had 3 other kits too, she was bred to two different bucks who are in no way related. I talked with the breeder I got the doe from, she said there are no fetal giants in the rabbit's background.

--------------------
Hannah Tedlock
Breeder of Jersey Woolies and Mini Rex
Located in the Thumb of Michigan
Bella's Rabbitry
mileycyrus
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 06:40 AM

Newborn Kit

Member No.: 903

Hi, my first time mum ( 8 month old mini lop) just gave birth to 2 dead fetal giants and no live kits. I've been told that high protein diet could be to blame but not sure. I don't want this happening again so if you learn any new news please let me know? help.gif
DevonGlen
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 10:13 AM

My Reality Cheque bounced.

Member No.: 22

I've only ever had fetal giants when I was feeding purina or shur-gain.

--------------------
~*Devon*~
user posted image
Mini Rex Argente Bruns
The counterfeit innovator is wildly self confident. The real one is scared to death. Steven Pressfield "The war of art"
SCG
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 11:00 AM

Needs an intervention.

Member No.: 195

Fetal giant is a made-up term to describe extra large kits. That's all they are...extra large, and I don't believe it's genetic. Usually DOA b/c the doe has a hard time passing it.

The usual cause is there being only 1 or 2 kits. More in the womb will develop more normally in size. I've never heard from the doe getting high protein feed, but I suppose it could be a factor, especially in a dwarf breed.

--------------------
Tinkerbell Rabbitry
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 11:26 AM

About To Get Fired

Member No.: 519

I talked to a Judge at the show I went to last weekend, who also breeds Mini Rex. She said it's just a fluke thing and it's not genetic. Until I asked her about it I was confused and kinda worried because, a lot of places I was getting info from said it was genetic.

--------------------
Hannah Tedlock
Breeder of Jersey Woolies and Mini Rex
Located in the Thumb of Michigan
Bella's Rabbitry
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0775 seconds | Archive