DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

RH is officially closed as of July 31, 2011.
The board and posts will remain online (as long as Invisionfree allows) as a read-only archive.
Members are encouraged to join Rabbit Addict to continue the habbit. RIP RH!

fetal giants
Tinkerbell Rabbitry
Posted: Mar 21 2011, 09:10 PM

About To Get Fired

Group: Members
Member No.: 519

What causes them?? One of my does just had a litter today and she had one DOA fetal giant, no other rabbits in the litter. sad.gif This is the second time the doe has given me a fetal giant, the first time she had 3 other kits too, she was bred to two different bucks who are in no way related. I talked with the breeder I got the doe from, she said there are no fetal giants in the rabbit's background.

--------------------
Hannah Tedlock
Breeder of Jersey Woolies and Mini Rex
Located in the Thumb of Michigan
Bella's Rabbitry
mileycyrus
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 06:40 AM

Newborn Kit

Member No.: 903

Hi, my first time mum ( 8 month old mini lop) just gave birth to 2 dead fetal giants and no live kits. I've been told that high protein diet could be to blame but not sure. I don't want this happening again so if you learn any new news please let me know? help.gif
DevonGlen
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 10:13 AM

My Reality Cheque bounced.

Member No.: 22

I've only ever had fetal giants when I was feeding purina or shur-gain.

--------------------
~*Devon*~
user posted image
Mini Rex Argente Bruns
The counterfeit innovator is wildly self confident. The real one is scared to death. Steven Pressfield "The war of art"
SCG
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 11:00 AM

Needs an intervention.

Member No.: 195

Fetal giant is a made-up term to describe extra large kits. That's all they are...extra large, and I don't believe it's genetic. Usually DOA b/c the doe has a hard time passing it.

The usual cause is there being only 1 or 2 kits. More in the womb will develop more normally in size. I've never heard from the doe getting high protein feed, but I suppose it could be a factor, especially in a dwarf breed.

--------------------
Tinkerbell Rabbitry
Posted: Apr 21 2011, 11:26 AM

About To Get Fired

Member No.: 519

I talked to a Judge at the show I went to last weekend, who also breeds Mini Rex. She said it's just a fluke thing and it's not genetic. Until I asked her about it I was confused and kinda worried because, a lot of places I was getting info from said it was genetic.

--------------------
Hannah Tedlock
Breeder of Jersey Woolies and Mini Rex
Located in the Thumb of Michigan
Bella's Rabbitry
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0534 seconds | Archive