DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

RH is officially closed as of July 31, 2011.
The board and posts will remain online (as long as Invisionfree allows) as a read-only archive.
Members are encouraged to join Rabbit Addict to continue the habbit. RIP RH!

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Split Penis (yes, there's pictures)
lauranmcnay
Posted: Dec 4 2010, 08:28 PM

About To Get Fired

Group: Members
Member No.: 674

I saw this in person today and would definitely consider it a split. We also asked a couple other opinions who would also consider it a split but may not be caught and DQ'd on the table.

Remember a split doesn't have to be flaring open to be there smile.gif

--------------------
Machias Rabbitry
Jersey Wooly and Mini Lop Rabbits in Washington
http://machiasrabbitry.weebly.com/
reggiechristian96
Posted: Dec 5 2010, 08:43 AM

Senior

Member No.: 656

ok. froma pic and to see is person is much different. I though also this pic could help.

I have another question. How old is this buck? when rabbits are about 4-7 monyhs they do look split sometimes. and they can go normal has had it happen to me a few times.

--------------------
user posted image
Jersey Woolys, Netherland Dwarfs, American Fuzzy Lops, and a Belgian Hare 2008-Present in Upsatste NY
www.christianbrothersrabbits.webs.com
reggiechristian96@yahoo.com
Thanks Meg for this Sig
Hawthorne Hollands
Posted: Dec 6 2010, 01:34 AM

Rabbit Habbit Addict

Member No.: 721

Had several people take a look at this buck at the show yesterday. One breeder was able to 'open' it up a bit more and extend it fully for me to see that it was split open at the tip. I was advised not to breed him. He is an older junior, I think around 5 months?

--------------------
user posted image
Miyuki Tomioka
hawthornerabbits@yahoo.com
Website
wonder_woolies
Posted: Dec 6 2010, 07:25 PM

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful

Member No.: 380

This topic intrigued me so I went out to the barn and did a "penis check". lol.gif

I was interested because I have a meat rabbit in a cull carrier right now. He's being culled because he has a split penis. In fact, I thought he was a she all the way up until he was 5 months old! Embarassing for someone who is not a newbie but it's true. I was packing up rabbits to bring to a lady who wanted a doe. One last check (ocd?) gave me a real shock - that it was actually a buck. I brought the rabbits to her anyway to show her (and apologize). It was she that pointed out the reason for the confusion was a split penis. We both agreed but got a judge's opinion and he agreed that while it was minor, it was, in fact, split.

My first thoughts were when I saw your photo were, yes, "that is a well defined line" and "those lines are normal on bucks, though, they are usually not so pronounced in my experience". IMO, *judging by the photo*, I'd say this is definitely not a split penis.

I was curious to compare my split p guy to the other TWELVE bucks, of three different breeds, I've got in my barn right now. If I were to go by your photo, 9 of the twelve bucks I examined have split penises. Of course, I know that is not so. Only one does and I can see the difference between his "minor" split and their normal lines down the underside of their penises. The 3 rabbits that showed no or little sign of lines were young bucks around the age of 7 months old (all the same age, different litters/breeds).

I also had the "privilege" of examining two bucks fully extended. These two silly boys like me and are always happy to oblige. So, I just picked them up and viola'! rolleyes.gif Well, I found out that Kagee is exactly correct in her description of the normal, fully extended shaft. lol.gif There are lines up at the first 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the shaft but not beyond that.

The difference between my normal bucks and the buck with the minor split penis is that the split p buck's line looks abnormal. In his case, his line is staight for 1/4 inch and then there is an deviation from the straight line. To be more specific, it looks like he tore and then healed. It is not smooth, it looks indented, it is not straight. Yes, it is minor but it is visible and not something that can be easily mistaken for something else.

One *might* think "Wonder just has a bunch of bucks with split p's because it's bred into her line". No, these penis shaft lines are on all but young bucks and across three different breeds and 5 breed lines.

I have one buck in particular, who has low color %. He is also an extremely nice buck. The judges often want to place him as BOB so they hem and haw over his color %. Deciding that they can consider him 10%, they then go over him with a fine toothed comb to look for any other DQ they could find. Trust me, this boy does not have a split p else it would have been picked up on and he looks exactly like all my other bucks with normal penises. They've got lines. Plain and simple. If yours has a split p, it will look "torn" or it will open up wide.

That said, I read that you got hands on second opinions. An exhibitor tried to open it up ? (gah.gif ) I guess if they were able to do it and you saw it plain as day, well.... confused.gif . That's a bummer. I was hoping it was a normal p. It looks absolutely, 100% normal in the photo.

--------------------
Run Wild
Posted: Dec 20 2010, 04:52 PM

Serious RH'ing Problem

Member No.: 643

Are we 100% sure the rabbit is even a buck? (testicles descended yet?)

I have a friend who had a rabbit that had a genital area look like this, and swore it was a doe, so showed it as a doe. The rabbit became a GC with 8 BOB wins until one judge one day said the rabbit was actually a buck with a split p. The rabbit was then around 6-8 months old, and the split had opened up quite a bit.

To me, from the photo, it looks normal. Most of my bucks have a small slit like that at the very tip of their male parts. They don't open up however, so if someone...opened it, then idk...ew? lol.gif

--------------------
wonder_woolies
Posted: Dec 21 2010, 02:56 AM

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful

Member No.: 380

I had a doe that a judge said was a buck with a split p. He is a very good judge. Love him. The doe/buck? She was definitely a doe. She'd had a few litters already. tongue.gif

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0709 seconds | Archive