DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

RH is officially closed as of July 31, 2011.
The board and posts will remain online (as long as Invisionfree allows) as a read-only archive.
Members are encouraged to join Rabbit Addict to continue the habbit. RIP RH!

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Nest box eye
Tiffany
Posted: May 16 2006, 06:57 PM

Someone get the duct tape!

Group: Members
Member No.: 88

What do you guys use to treat nestbox eye ? I have only had to deal with it a few times and it was easily taken care of with some warm water and cleaning of the eye. I have a litter of kits that 3 of them have really bad eyes. One for sure is going to be blind.

Thanks in advance smile.gif

--------------------
Hillside
Posted: May 16 2006, 07:22 PM

Serious RH'ing Problem

Member No.: 37

Terramyacin ointment. Works wonders. But I rarely use it because I clean the nestboxes when the kits are 8 days old to prevent it so they don't get nestbox eye.

--------------------
Vicki
JerseyWoolyFreak
Posted: May 16 2006, 07:26 PM

Witty title here

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Okay, I have a dumb question but what the heck is nestbox eye? huh.gif I'm assuming I've never had it if I have no clue what it is?

--------------------
Lisa
Former owner/operator of Wooligans Rabbitry 2004 - 2008
Hillside
Posted: May 16 2006, 07:29 PM

Serious RH'ing Problem

Member No.: 37

Ya know how some kits get red eyes that won't open for a while and the fur around the eye gets all matted from discharge? It's a bacterial infection in the eye. You need to keep the nestbox clean and if a kit does get nestbox eye, you need to flush it out fast so the rabbit doesn't go blind.

If you've never had to deal with it, you're doing a great job! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Vicki
JerseyWoolyFreak
Posted: May 16 2006, 07:32 PM

Witty title here

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Ohh wow, I didn't know that! I've had ones that open their eyes later than 10 days, but never one that was red or had discharge. I LOVE Terramyacin, though! It's awesome stuff!

--------------------
Lisa
Former owner/operator of Wooligans Rabbitry 2004 - 2008
Tiffany
Posted: May 16 2006, 07:39 PM

Lisa, you would know it if you've seen it. They look like goldfish eyes...lol omg.gif

This is actually the first time its ever been this bad, not sure why because they werent even in the nest box all that long and I do sanitize the crap out of my nestboxes and replace everything in them around 7-9 days before they even open their eyes so not sure what happened with these little boogers.

I will have to look for some terramycin ointment then, I have never had to use it so not sure what to look for lol.gif

--------------------
Tulasplacerabbitry
  Posted: May 16 2006, 10:43 PM

everybunny needs somebunny to love

Member No.: 94

Tiffany,
Call your local TSC and see if it is in stock( they used to carry it, but it was an easily pocketed item so I'm not sure if it is still there) and then if it's there have them hold you a tube. Also you can check your feed mill's or anyplace else that deals with animla health.
It is a small tube, abouthe size of a lady's pinky finger, that should be in a box. Usually they are blue(here anyway).
Falls-Acre
Posted: May 17 2006, 05:48 AM

I'm unique! Just like everybody else!!

Member No.: 78

You can also use neomycin eye ointment, and Neosporin. Put it *in* the eye, not just on the lid. I'm currently treating a kit with an eye infection now. If you continue to treat, you can save the eye.

--------------------
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Tiffany
Posted: May 17 2006, 07:24 AM

Thanks guys. I do have some neosporin here, but will also look for the other stuff.

Thanks again smile.gif

--------------------
Keepee
Posted: May 17 2006, 11:00 AM

Offense is taken, not given. Please practice portion control.

Member No.: 58

Little Gimp, bless her heart, used to get eye infections from having to lay oddly and having her siblings crawl on her. I'd just use the warm water to move the gunk out and pick out what I could, then like Billi said, the neosporin went on the eye (as best I could get it) and I'd put it all on the lids and in the corners too, just to kind of soothe the redness. Sure enough it would work like a charm! Hope your little ones are as easy to treat!

--------------------
Tiffany
Posted: May 17 2006, 12:22 PM

Thanks smile.gif I hope so to. I drove all the way to the town that TSC is in and forgot to stop there...lol ( went to Walmart instead ) but will use the neosporin tonight and hopefully go back and get some other stuff later just to have on hand

--------------------
Starlight
Posted: May 17 2006, 12:29 PM

Satins RULE

Member No.: 9

huh.gif I was wondering what she meant by nextbox eye too.

--------------------
Bumper
Posted: May 17 2006, 03:02 PM

POWITH

Member No.: 19

I've only had it once and the terramycin ointment cleared it up. He had a small spot on his eye but it diminished as he grew up. I clean out boxes if they get at all wet but in this case the stupid doe dumped her whole water crock into the box!

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image user posted image
Tiffany
Posted: May 17 2006, 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Starlight @ May 17 2006, 12:29 PM)
huh.gif I was wondering what she meant by nextbox eye too.

Sorry guess I should of been more specific, I wasnt sure what it was called, I always heard others just refer to it as nestbox eye so thats what I call it..lol

--------------------
Radar
Posted: May 17 2006, 05:25 PM

French Lops Rock

Member No.: 27

Be careful when you go and get it. It comes in a yellow tube here.

Here is what it looks like

Picture

I don't know anything about this web page, but so you know what you are looking for when you go there.

Great stuff, works wonders

--------------------
*Retired*
Bluebonnet Trails Rabbitry
French Lops on the Gulf Coast
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1580 seconds | Archive