Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to the Roleplaying Guild. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Sky And Devy, For torture, I mean learning only!
Sky
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 07:35 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'm ready when you are young Jedi.
Devious_Bookworm
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 07:51 PM

Group: Roleplay Moderators
Member No.: 44

Ready! <3

--------------------
user posted image
Sky
Posted: Feb 25 2012, 12:05 PM

Administrator

Writing Methods:

Different writers use different writing methods and techniques. I prefer narrative over most of them because I enjoy manipulating my characters and my plot to whatever suits my needs. A good percentage of newspaper reporters and journalists pursue exposition or persuasion because it's formal and it'll help them get a job! biggrin.gif And then experimental writers, like to try out new methods and see if it fits them. So today or on the day you read this, you're going to become an experimental writer. But firstly, I need to know what form of writing do you most commonly use? Narrative, Exposition, Descriptive, etc?

Devious_Bookworm
Posted: Feb 25 2012, 09:53 PM

I find myself comfortable with exposition and persuasive, since I often find myself using them in school for the weekly essays I usually have due. Narrative I find myself using quite often as well. Descriptive... probably not. I'm bad at describing things, I've found. >.> It's all either too little or a giant wall of text and information dump. *grumbles*

--------------------
user posted image
Sky
Posted: Feb 25 2012, 11:59 PM

Administrator

Alright, so let's focus on Descriptive. As you probably know, in descriptive writing, you use the senses to help the reader's ability to percieve what's going on in your story.

Suzie picked up and bit the orange.

The sentence above is plain. There is nothing describing the girl OR the orange. So to fix that sentence or descriptitize (awesome new word I made up) it, we must first figure out which senses are applicable to it. For now, let's focus on the orange.

What does the orange look like?

What does the orange smell like?

What does the orange feel like?

And I don't think the smell of hearing is applicable in this sentence unless we're talking about the Annoying Orange...

So answer those questions and get back to me!
Devious_Bookworm
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 02:05 PM

What does the orange look like?
-Spherical and colored much like one might gather based on the name of the fruit
-Thick skin punctured by Suzie's nails; lighter in color

-Energetic, zesty, citrus, reminds Suzie of the breakfast she didn't have time to eat this morning (orange juice)

What does the orange feel like?
-A comforting weight in her hand; solid
-Soft and easily bruised or crushed if she tried, yet the fruit is resilient
-Smooth skin

What does the orange taste like?
You had 'smell' twice, so I replaced this one with 'taste'.
-Sweet with an acidic after-taste

What does the orange sound like?
-Percussive sound as she taps her fingers against it
-Wet squelch as she squeezes it too hard

You can tell I started to get ahead of myself... sorry... >.< I just had an image in my head of a girl, Suzie, worried for an exam or sommat as she rides the bus to school, nervously picking at the orange her friend gave her as breakfast. Suzie was in so much of a hurry to get to the bus stop, she didn't have time to grab her usual meal, which includes orange juice, etc

--------------------
user posted image
Sky
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 05:30 PM

Administrator

I was probably so tired the other night that I didn't realize my mistake! laugh.gif

Suzie, exhaustedly, picked up an orange from off the granite bar. Its spherical shape fit comfortably in her hands. Solid, just as she preferred. The deep orange color portrayed by the fruit seemed almost a shade lighter in the dim rays of the sun from the window. She could also distinguish faint lines that had been punctured by Suzie's rather prominent nails. Slowly, she peeled back the orange's skin. It conformed to her will each time she pulled a layer back, each time she played with it. The skin was soft and easy to manipulate. She could simply bruise or crush the peelings with force, with effort. As she peeled the last section off, she marveled at its inner layer, its inner shell. Suzie squeezed it softly, producing a soft squelch. Orange juice splattered over the table. She silently told herself she would clean it up later. Tenderly, she pulled it to her nose and enveloped the zesty, citrus smell. It reminded her of the breakfast she didn't have to eat this morning. Now drawn by the entergetic smell, she took a small bite of the unique fruit... A sweet flavor flood throughout her mouth, only to be followed by a rather acid after-taste. She took the orange away from her mouth and silently wondered something, something rather weird... Why had she consumed ten minutes of her life observing an orange perspicaciously?

*Applauds self* What an awesome ending! JK

I only omitted a few details that wouldn't flow! Wow, I honestly didn't know that you could write a paragraph about picking up and eating a orange..

Would you like to try a few sentences now?
Sky
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 09:13 PM

Administrator

*Cough, cough*
Devious_Bookworm
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 09:42 PM

Mrrrr... see... how do you write it so it doesn't become a wall of text?

--------------------
user posted image
Sky
Posted: Mar 2 2012, 03:33 PM

Administrator

Transition words, adjectives, etc. It's all about sentence structure, something I really hated to learn about. I don't really have a plausible method in how I write, but I can give you one pointer, one pointer that will help you as it has helped me.
  • Adjectives. As you probably know, adjectives describe things. Adjectives are the KEY items to successful descriptive wirting.
Devious_Bookworm
Posted: Mar 4 2012, 11:51 AM

Well... I know about those... but what I (at the time) failed to describe was the fact that many people I know dislike having a single paragraph full of description about a single person or object. I have issues breaking up description when I write or roleplay. Like instead of describing how Harry looks in a single paragraph, I'm trying to figure out how to break up the description more... if that makes any sense. >.>

--------------------
user posted image
Sky
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 05:10 PM

Administrator

One sec... I found this awesome thing that might be able to help... If only I can find it first! laugh.gif

((Will edit post in a min.))

Here it is:

http://delta-edu.com/downloads/samples_seeds/1303478.pdf
Devious_Bookworm
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 06:05 PM

...hey Sky? >.>

Am I allowed to request if we can work on sommat else? I know it makes me seem like a bad student, but I really didn't know exactly what 'writing methods' were when I initially signed up. *coughs*

I mean... my roleplaying in general has gotten very rusty. Is there a way we could work on that? Like... I suck at descriptions... and by that, I mean incorporating them into posts and such without giving the other people walls of purple prose, y'know? And just... my writing voice in general and such and bleh...

QUOTE (Post)
Moonlight whispered across the silken sheets as I adjusted the curtains to optimize the natural glow from full moon. The room was scented with hundreds of small scented candles, the intoxicating air perfumed with jasmine and sandalwood; everything was cast into a wicked interplay between light and shadow, darkness flickering, grasping, relinquishing. Back and forth like the ebb and flow of the ocean's waves. My bare feet made no sound on the luscious rugs, nor did the large glass doors as I slid them open to step outside and inhale the scent of roses and night-blooming flowers from the private garden below. The night was silent save the silver gurgle of the fountain, and I relished in the lack of sound. The peace would soon be disturbed as soon as my client arrived. Food awaited consumption on the silver cart near the ornate table. The room was comfortable, its decorations hand-picked by myself. White walls with tasteful watercolour paintings; thick rugs; dark furniture; an over-sized, gauze-enveloped poster bed.

There was a knock on the door. So my client had arrived at last. I straightened my sheer, lilac outfit that revealed as much as it concealed of my tanned complexion, and I tousseled my white-blonde hair to let it artfully frame my angular face and give it a seductive appeal. Everything about me exuded sexuality: the tantalizing sway of my hips as I approached the door, opened it, and spun on my heel to settle myself on the bed to give the man a pleasant view; a slender body with shape and tone, lithe muscles honed from my other profession; the way every graceful motion seemed effortless.

"Would you care to join me in bed?" I purred, fingering the silken fabric of the bedsheets, my voice husky and low with what appeared--as it always did to the simplistic male mind--arousal.

I was joined within a moment, and the game then began.

"That was an impressive display." I startled and summoned a knife into my hand using a touch of magic, the familiar weight of the stiletto blade a reassurance against the unfamiliar female voice.

The woman lounging in the doorway stepped into the candle-lit room. In the half-darkness, it was difficult to make out her features, but the style of her dress and her manner of speaking suggested enough for me to make a quick assessment. Noble. Wealthy. Cultured. Magic-touched as well, if she sensed the death spell I had woven about my latest target as he went about the acts of sin and debauchery. Bright eyes glinted in the half-light, amusement coloured her voice. "I mean you no harm, Lady, so you may stow your weapon." Palms held flat, a gesture of peace.

The knife vanished from my grasp, though I did not relax in the slightest. She wanted something. "I'll have you know I don't service women, so if you'll excuse me, I--"

"What I require from you is not your skills in the bedroom, Sharaniel Kartane, Lady of the Red Moon houses, Dancer of the Silver Star Order. Courtesan. Assassin. Wanted in four nation-states for the murder of important government officials and foreign dignitaries. Wanted for her knowledge in how to accompany these very same important men as they attended dinner parties and social functions. Wanted for her skills between the bedsheets as one of Terrielle's highest paid prostitutes."

"Someone has done their research. Now I have to wonder why that person has gone through so much trouble."

"I'm sure you've heard of a certain conflict between two nations, Lady Sharaniel. I represent a certain member of a certain royal house who would be willing to pardon you--and pay a handsome sum of gold--for your services. His Majesty is in need of someone with your particular talents to assist him in various tasks I am certain you know well." She paused for a moment as if giving me time to consider her words before she continued. "Does this seem acceptable?"

I didn't need to hesitate with my answer. After all, royalty paid the best fare. "Very well." There was a smile in her voice. "How much time do you need to pack your belongings?" I responded that it would take me only a few moments.

As I scurried about the room, packing weapons and clothing of different styles and toiletries, I could feel her eyes watching me with calm patience. I could take as long as I needed, it seemed, but I was in no hurry to dawdle. Once she saw I was ready, she led me down the stairs and outside where a magick-enhanced coach awaited. I had never ridden in one before, merely seen it at a distance. I slipped inside and tucked my bags underneath the velvet-lined seat. A large bag of gold was placed into my lap. "For coming with me, Lady Kartane. We should arrive at the palace before dawn. I suggest you rest. It will be an eventful day for certain." And with that, I let myself be lulled to sleep by the rhythmic undulations of the vehicle. Morning could not come soon enough.

Hey Sky? Would you be able to critique this post, please? PLEASE? PWEASE? *begs*

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Skin created per request by the IFSZ.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.4446 seconds | Archive