View Full Version: 1980 Papesh, Tiffany 6-13-1980

PorchlightUSA > Ohio Missing Persons > 1980 Papesh, Tiffany 6-13-1980

Title: 1980 Papesh, Tiffany 6-13-1980
Description: Maple Heights

ELL - July 15, 2006 09:30 PM (GMT)

user posted image user posted image

Left: Papesh circa 1980; Right: Papesh age progressed to 33(2004)
7/2/1971 35 Yrs old
4'0" 58 lbs
Brown, Shoulder, Straight
Last seen on 06-13-80 in Maple Heights, Ohio at the
age of 8 year old; ; she left home to go to a
neighborhood store on an errand. She never returned
Lost, Injured, or Otherwise Missing
Ohio Missing Children Clearinghouse
Maple Heights Police Dept.
(216) 662-1234
Page 1 of 1
Tiffany was last seen on 06/13/1980. She is missing from Maple Heights, OH in Cuyahoga County.

PorchlightUSA - October 7, 2007 04:07 PM (GMT)

Case Type: Non Family Abduction
DOB: Jul 2, 1971 Sex: Female
Missing Date: Jun 13, 1980 Race: White
Age Now: 34 Height: 4'0" (122 cm)
Missing City: MAPLE HEIGHTS Weight: 58 lbs (26 kg)
Missing State : OH Hair Color: Brown
Missing Country: United States Eye Color: Blue

Case Number: NCMC603389
Circumstances: Child's photo is shown age-progressed to 33 years. She left home to go to a neighborhood store on an errand. She never returned home. FOUL PLAY SUSPECTED.

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST)
Maple Heights Police Department (Ohio) - Missing Persons Unit

PorchlightUSA - October 7, 2007 04:09 PM (GMT)
OMG This poor family!

Class of '99 is left mourning
Senior dies after his motorcycle crashes into van on graduation day

Assistant Editor, The Sun Courier

June 10, 1999

The Cuyahoga Heights schools began the year with a tragedy and ended it with a tragedy.

Hours before the Class of 1999 graduated Sunday, senior Patrick A. Papesh, 18, riding his new Honda motorcycle, broadsided a van on Tinkers Creek Road, Valley View. He died at MetroHealth Medical Center shortly afterward.

His death punctuated a year of mourning for the tiny district, which includes the villages of Brooklyn Heights, Cuyahoga Heights and Valley View.

In August 1998, just before classes started, sixth-grader Becky Dugas, 11, of Valley View, also was killed in a traffic accident. Her classmates conducted a memorial service in front of the school four weeks ago. They dedicated a flowering crab apple tree, a flower garden and a plaque in her honor. There are plans to purchase athletic and music equipment in her name and hang one of her poems outside the guidance offices.

In May 1998, a former Cuyahoga Heights teacher, Faith Zuranski Kinkel, was murdered by her son during a shooting spree in Oregon.

The tragedies have shaken staff and students.

"It's been a heck of year," said Al Pavlish, director of pupil personnel services. "We've come full circle."

The latest death came as 66 seniors were to receive their diplomas.

Pat's mother, Deborah Papesh, said her son wanted to take one last spin on his new cycle before heading off to graduation. The cycle was a gift for his 18th birthday last month.

"We haven't even made the first payment on it," she said.

Pat pulled out of his driveway on Tinkers Creek Road about 1:25 p.m. and headed west. About 1,000 yards down the road he collided with a Pontiac Transport van driven by neighbor, Richard L. Chicke, 68. Chicke was turning into his driveway. He was not injured. Pat had head injuries and was taken to MetroHealth by helicopter. The teen died just before 3 p.m.

One of the Valley View EMTs called to the scene was Pat's brother, Ken, 21, who works part time for the village.

Valley View police said the accident remains under investigation.

High school Principal Kim Meyer said classmates and school officials did not learn of Pat's death until after graduation.

"We knew he had been in a bad accident but we didn't know the end result," Meyer said. For that reason, the school kept Pat's diploma, hoping to hand it to him at a later date. Instead, Deborah Papesh had a relative pick it up in Meyer's office Monday.

Meyer said Pat's name was read at graduation and there was a moment of silence and silent prayers for recovery by the well-liked, outgoing teen.

Late Sunday night, Pat's classmates returned to the high school to pay tribute to their friend. They left posters, flowers and drawings at the main entrance, which they festooned with red and black crepe paper streamers. The sidewalks leading up to the school were filled with chalked messages and a cross.

"I never got that ride you promised. Maybe someday," signed Lee.

"I know yer chillin' up there. I'll be seein' you some fine day. We miss you," wrote Kurt.

"Pat, you'll always be our hearts. . .Love, The Class of '99."

It's a tradition at the school that seniors toilet paper the entrance and in the past several years the school board has been concerned about the large amounts of paper used and the cleanup time needed. This time, the students wrapped the paper neatly around light poles and the flag pole. It was a way of carrying on tradition but on a somber note, officials said.

Meyer said it was all part of the healing process.

"The healing process is slow but it has started," he said.

Meyer said Pat "had lots of energy. He was upbeat, always smiling."

Guidance counselor Sandy Ranallo described Pat as a young man "who always wanted to be doing something. He had a zest for living. He had big dreams."

Pat transferred to Cuyahoga Heights two years ago, after attending Holy Name High School, where he lettered in wrestling in the ninth and 10th grades. While at Cuyahoga Heights, he also attended Cuyahoga Valley Career Center, studying graphic imaging.

CVCC instructor Bill Delgado said, Pat "was one of us. He was our shop foreman who got things done no matter how unpleasant they might be. He was the life of the class who insisted that the class meet at Denny's every Friday for breakfast and was thrilled when everyone showed up."

During this past year, Pat scored on the honors level in math on the senior proficiency test.

Deborah Papesh said her son wanted to become a police officer or a firefighter/paramedic like his late father. Ron Papesh, a Garfield Heights firefighter, died in 1995 at the age of 43 after suffering a massive heart attack.

The family has had its share of untimely deaths. Besides, Ron Papesh, two other relatives died in their 40s and a cousin, Tiffany Papesh, 8, was kidnapped in 1980. Her body was never found and no one was ever convicted in the case.

Deborah Papesh said she and her sons had a hard time dealing with Ron's death.

"You never totally adjust to that," she said. "You put it behind you and life goes on but it will always be a part of you.

"Death is something that's hard to cope with no matter what the age."

Visitation for Pat Papesh will be 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. today at Ferfolia Funeral Home, 356 W. Aurora Road, Sagamore Hills. Services will be 9:30 a.m. Friday at St. Therese's Catholic Church, Granger Road, Garfield Heights.

School counselors will be on hand at the funeral home to talk with students.

© 1999 Sun Newspapers

PorchlightUSA - October 7, 2007 04:10 PM (GMT)

Tiffany Jennifer Papesh

Top Row and Bottom Left: Papesh, circa 1980;
Bottom Right: Age-progression at age 33 (circa 2004)

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: June 13, 1980 from Maple Heights, Ohio
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: July 2, 1971
Age: 8 years old
Height and Weight: 4'0, 58 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Papesh has a gap between her upper front teeth and facial dimples. She has a scar on her right knee. Her ears are pierced. Some agencies spell Papesh's name "Tiffiny." Her nickname is T. J.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Shorts, sneakers, and a red t-shirt that says "Let's face it, I'm cute."

Details of Disappearance

Papesh was last seen inside the Convenient Food Mart in her hometown of Maple Heights, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, on June 13, 1980. Papesh purchased hamburger buns at the store and left at approximately 2:45 p.m. that afternoon. She disappeared while en route to her family's residence which was half a block away. Papesh has never been heard from again. The search for her began at 3:00 p.m., when she had not returned home.
Papesh's father was at work at the time of her disappearance; he was cleared as a suspect in her case early in the investigation. Papesh's stepmother, who had raised her since she was four years old, passed a polygraph and was also cleared.

Brandon Lee Flagner, who changed his name from Chico Virgilio Tenorio, confessed to Papesh's rape, murder and dismemberment in a 1983 letter sent from where he was imprisoned in Texas to the Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI), three years after her disappearance. He also told at least two other people, both ministers, about the alleged murder. He mentioned the scar on Papesh's knee, which was not generally known to the public at the time.

Flagner gave several conflicting statements about exactly how he supposedly killed Papesh. He later retracted his confessions, claiming he only wrote the letters because he was about to be released from prison and wanted to stay for treatment. He was nonetheless convicted of two counts of aggravated murder and one count of kidnapping in June 1985. Flagner was sentenced to life in prison for Papesh's murder and twenty-five years for the kidnapping.

Flagner became actively involved in the search for Papesh very shortly after she became missing. He offered to sell t-shirts with Papesh's picture on them to raise awareness of her case. After her disappearance, he asked his wife and brother to destroy a metal box which was in the trunk of his car. The box contained, among other things, some children's clothing.

It is worth noting that many people believe Flagner to be innocent of involvement in Papesh's case. His time card shows that he was at work at Sta-Co 55 miles away from Maple Heights, up until half an hour before Papesh's disappearance on June 13. Some have suggested that one of Flagner's co-workers stamped his time-card for him, but all of his fellow employees denied doing so. His employer says that while no one specifically remembered seeing Flagner at work that day, the production line needed five people, Flagner included, to function properly.

Flagner, who converted to Orthodox Judaism while in prison, was convicted in Papesh's case largely because of his confession and because he has a criminal record for child molestation; he says he has molested over 400 young girls, a claim most investigators believe is exaggerated. He remains in prison, but investigators in Papesh's case and many members of her own family do not believe Flagner was the responsible party.

Papesh's remains have never been located.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Maple Heights Police Department
Federal Bureau Of Investigation
Washington, D. C. Office

Source Information
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Federal Bureau Of Investigation
For the Lost
USAJewish Forum
The Awareness Center
Newspaper Archive

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004.

Last updated February 4, 2004.

Charley Project Home

PorchlightUSA - October 7, 2007 04:11 PM (GMT)
AKA: Chico Virgilio Tenorio)

Hbrandon Lee Flagner confessed and was later convicted of the kidnapping and aggravated murder of Tiffany Jennifer Papesh a 8-year-old girl. Flagner also claimed to have molested hundreds of girls during his life. While in prison Flagner was allowed to convert to Judaism by an Chasidic rabbi. Flagner changed name from Chico Virgilio Tenorio in 1977.

Flagner has been incarcerated with the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction (ODRC) since 1986. Flagner is a practicing Orthodox Hasidic Jew who brought a §1983 suit against prison officials challenging the enforcement of Ohio Administrative Code §§5120-9-25 (D) and (F),1 a prison grooming regulation which requires Flagner to cut his beard and sidelocks, also referred to as "peos," in contravention of the tenets of his religious faith.2 The defendants are ODRC employees who work at either the Lebanon Correctional Institution (LeCI) or the Madison Correctional Institution (MaCI). Flagner was imprisoned at LeCI from July 8, 1994 to November 20, 1996, and transferred shortly thereafter to MaCI. Prior to his transfer to LeCI, Flagner resided at the Mansfield Correctional Institution. He is currently incarcerated at Ross Correctional Institution.

In 1987, Flagner began studying Judaism and formally converted to Orthodox Judaism in 1991 while incarcerated at the Mansfield Correctional Institution. His religious affiliation has been recognized by the defendants and is not in dispute in this case. Flagner testified during the preliminary injunction evidentiary hearing held on December 3, 1996, that between 1991 when he converted to Judaism and prior to his transfer to LeCI in 1994, Mansfield prison officials did not make any effort forcibly to cut his beard or sidelocks. In fact, a period of five years passed between the time Flagner converted to Orthodox Judaism in 1991 until his first forced cutting in 1996.--

PorchlightUSA - October 7, 2007 04:11 PM (GMT)
Tiffany Jennifer Papesh
Circumstances of Disappearance

Papesh went to a neighborhood store for a quick errand in 1980; she never returned home. Papesh was apparently seen at the store, but disappeared afterwards. Police suspect that foul play was involved in Papesh's case. Brandon Flagner confessed to killing Tiffany in a 1983 letter to the FBI. He was indicted in June 1985 on two counts of aggravated murder and one count of kidnapping. He was sentenced to life in prison.

Left: Papesh, circa 1980; Right: Age-progressed image of Papesh at age 28 (circa 1999)

Missing since June 13, 1980 from Maple Heights, Cuyahoga County, Ohio.

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: July 2, 1971

* Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 years old

* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 58 pounds

* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; blue eyes

PorchlightUSA - October 7, 2007 04:14 PM (GMT)

Records 1 to 15 of 30
Hbrandon Flagner, the man convicted of kidnapping & murdering Tiffany Papesh 15 years ago, says he molested hundreds of young girls; Flagner's confession on missing girl raises questions-il
Plain Dealer 13 Jun, 1995, pg. 4 sec. A

Mystery, tears still fresh for Tiffiny Papesh; body was never found, & now confession of convict Brandon L Flagner questioned-il
Plain Dealer 13 Jun, 1995, pg. 1 sec. A

Parents of Tiffany Papesh know Bay family's agony
Plain Dealer 19 Nov, 1989, pg. 01 sec. A

Blaze destroys Papesh home in Bedford Heights
Plain Dealer 22 Mar, 1989, pg. 03 sec. B

T Papesh's grandmother still in living nightmare-il
Plain Dealer 04 Dec, 1988, pg. 01 sec. B

Court won't review Brandon Flagner's conviction in the 1980 death of Tiffany Papesh
Plain Dealer 06 Nov, 1987, pg. 06 sec. B

Tiffany Papesh's killer, Brandon L Flagner, to get top court hearing
Plain Dealer 21 Feb, 1987, pg. 03 sec. B

Even without a body, jurors felt Flagner murdered Tiffany-il
Plain Dealer 30 Jul, 1985, pg. 02 sec. B

Flagner is guilty of killing Tiffany Papesh-il
Plain Dealer 23 Jul, 1985, pg. 01 sec. A

Jury left to sort out Tiffany case
Plain Dealer 20 Jul, 1985, pg. 08 sec. A

Defense wraps up case in Tiffany Papesh slaying trial
Plain Dealer 18 Jul, 1985, pg. 19 sec. A

BL Flagner told FBI he shot, cut up Tiffany Papesh-il
Plain Dealer 17 Jul, 1985, pg. 01 sec. B

Kin says Flagner accused Tiffany's dad in death
Plain Dealer 16 Jul, 1985, pg. 03 sec. AA

Judge Fuerst will rule if crime occurred in disappearance of Tiffany Papesh-il
Plain Dealer 13 Jul, 1985, pg. 12 sec. A

Witness Grace Scheneman tells of Flagner's 'love' of her daughter, 10
Plain Dealer 12 Jul, 1985, pg. 17 sec. A


PorchlightUSA - August 2, 2008 09:41 PM (GMT)
Volume 11, Issue 52
Published April 21st, 2004
Missing Children : Lost : Northeast Ohio's Missing Children
Two West Side girls just the most recent to vanish
By Amy Starnes
One year ago today , Amanda Berry walked out of a Burger King and disappeared into a bustling West Side Cleveland street. The last her family heard from her was a short cell phone call to say she had a ride and she'd call back. She never did.

Tomorrow she turns 18 years old.

Faded posters showing the petite sandy-blond are still nailed to light poles up and down Lorain Avenue near the Burger King where she worked at West 110th. Now, they are accompanied by new yellow ribbons and the smiling face of another girl Georgina DeJesus, a 14-year-old who vanished earlier this month while walking home from school. She was last seen just five blocks from where Amanda disappeared.

Hundreds of police officers, sheriff's deputies, FBI investigators and volunteers have been combing the area looking for Georgina and any clues that might provide a fresh lead on Amanda. Searches and vigils have been carried on the nightly news. And America's Most Wanted featured their stories.

But Gina and Mandy, as family and friends refer to them, are only two of Northeast Ohio's lost children.

THE NATIONAL CENTER for Missing and Exploited Children has logged 18 open missing children's cases from this area. Some have been gone just a few weeks, others for decades.

The cases range from endangered runaways like now-16-year-old Jennifer Bender of Lorain, who left a note for her parents nearly two years ago saying she was leaving to be with friends she had met in an Internet chat room, to family abductions like Nadia Dabbagh, who was taken by her non-custodial father in 1992 when she was just 2 years old, to non-family abductions like Tiffany Papesh of Maple Heights, who vanished in 1980 when she was 8 years old. A man was later convicted of Tiffany's murder, but her body has never been found.

Some people view runaways and family abductions as not as serious as a supposed stranger kidnapping the snatching of a youngster off the street. But that's where they make the mistake, according to officials.

“It's really not fair to the child to take a laissez faire attitude to say, Oh, it's just the parent.' Parents don't usually kill their children, but they have, says Joann Donnellan, media relations manager for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

“We see runaways and we have people say, Well, she took off on her own.' Well, if she's 12, there's a problem. Obviously, a 12-year-old should not be out on the street.

“The majority of runaways do come home, but they can fall prey to child exploitation, she adds. “Kids are vulnerable. They get lured into situations that they may not understand until it's too late.

Between Jan. 1, 1990 and Sept. 30, 2003 the national center opened 70,049 cases, according to its quarterly report completed in October. While the number of cases the center has is not the total number of missing children in America, it provides a snapshot of the numbers and the reasons a child may be lost.

The vast majority of the cases 48,595 were endangered runaways, 17,744 were family abductions, 1,243 were non-family abductions, 2,078 were lost, injured or somehow couldn't make it home and 389 were false reports.

Of those cases, 66,019 children were recovered, including 724 who were dead when found. More than 5,273 cases remain open.

ELYRIA RESIDENT Lisa Sexton is one who simply never came home.

Lisa ran away just nine days before her 15th birthday in 1981 with an adult man who later returned without her. She was last known to be in Tampa, Fla., and called her mother three years after her disappearance.

Elyria police have kept her file open ever since. In the 22 years since her disappearance, police have recorded sightings as far away as Mexico. At other times, they have investigated the possibility that her body had been found.

“We've had several over the years. As they come in, we work with whatever agency that may be handling an unidentified person and we investigate it until that lead comes to a close,‚¬ says Lt. Andy Eichenlaub, who oversees Elyria's detective bureau. “As long as she's listed as missing, we would not disregard any possibility. Obviously, we would hope she's alive and well and just choosing not to return.

The most recent lead on Lisa was in September 2003 when the body of an unidentified murder victim resembling her description was exhumed by Louisiana police in order to complete dental and DNA tests in hopes of identifying the body.

The auburn-haired woman had been buried in a field since 1986, two weeks after she had been found in Lake Pontchartrain with a 22-pound weight tied to her neck. Dental records conclusively showed the body was not Lisa's. She will turn 38 next month.

It's unclear whether the news comforted or increased the pain of Lisa's mother, Barbara Terrell. She declined to talk about her daughter.

“I think she, like everybody else, still has hope, and I believe she understands that we are doing all we can, Eichenlaub said.

UNSOLVED MISSING CHILDREN'S cases like Lisa's can be devastating for families and frustrating for law enforcement.

When Frank Papesh died in 1993, his obituary noted his tireless efforts to find his daughter, Tiffany, who was 8 years old in 1980 when she disappeared on a trip to a Maple Heights convenience store within sight of the family's home.

Papesh mobilized hundreds of volunteers to look for her and campaigned to restore the death penalty to abductors who harm or kill children. Ohio did not have capital punishment at that time.

Even though her supposed killer is behind bars, Tiffany is still missing.

“The frustration comes from wanting to bring closure to the family, says Elyria's Eichenlaub.

Frustration for Lt. Wayne Drummond, spokesman for the Cleveland Police Department, comes with cases like Gina's or Mandy's, where the young person seemingly steps into a black hole. No one heard Gina scream. There are no dropped articles or signs of a struggle for either girl. A bloodhound lost Gina's scent a block from where she was last seen at a pay phone at W. 105th and Lorain Ave.

According to press reports, Mandy left $100 in her bedroom that she was saving to do her nails and buy a new outfit for her birthday the next day. And eerily, someone called her mother just days after she went missing to say he had Amanda, she was fine and she would return home soon. Her mother thought it might have been a prank until FBI agents confirmed the call came from her daughter's phone.

Drummond notes police have not said there is any connection between the two cases, “but we would be remiss in our duties not to look at it.

Bob O'Brien, project manager for the national center's Team Adam, a group of retired investigators who volunteer their time to work on missing children's cases, says he can't recall another instance of two high-profile missing children's cases in one neighborhood. Since January 2003, Team Adam has searched for 95 children in 33 states. All but eight have been found.

“I can say for sure in the group we've looked at under this past year in Team Adam, which is a small sampling in the country, there's not been another case like that, he said. “I think the fact that it was the same neighborhood, a lot of attention will be devoted to that and law enforcement will be able to solve that.

IN THE MEANTIME, so no one forgets, yellow ribbons flutter down Gina's street and the street where she disappeared.

So no one forgets, her picture is tacked on almost every light post and even taped to neighbors' car windows.

So no one forgets, a shrine thick with fluffy stuffed animals and prayer candles lines the fence of her family's home. It's covered with plastic on rainy days but still awaits her return.

“There is a terrible sadness here,” says neighbor Donald Cunningham. “I've got two boys and I know if one of them was missing, I'd go nuts. I would never sleep.

So no one forgets.

“When I'm driving if I see a girl with black hair, I always look to see if that could be her.

A complete list of Ohio's missing children can be found at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children's web site: To report a sighting or information on a missing child, call 1-800-The-Lost.

PorchlightUSA - August 2, 2008 09:50 PM (GMT)

Hosted for free by zIFBoards