Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Peregrine Design. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Ballpoint Pen Plus Photoshop
Silverwings
Posted: Jun 19 2007, 12:47 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

This is a little project I did for a contest on the Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates forums found here:

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/...ad?thread=64848

I did a ballpoint pen sketch of a character in my sketchbook, then scanned it into Photoshop, where I cleaned it up a little, and colored it. I originally colored it with pretty vivid colors, but as it was concepted as a portrait, I chose to make it more like a hand-colored daguerreotype.

To do so, I took the fully colored version, desaturated it to a greyscale, then made it a sepia toned version of the original. I then overlaid that sepia toned version over the original, and tinkered with the transparency on it to let some of the color seep through. This gave it a nice, faded color look that made me pretty happy.

user posted image

I was happy with how the original sketch blended with the coloring that I did. It's not a Da Vinci, nor is it a Rembrandt, but it's a nice quick colored sketch that maintains an interesting atmosphere. One of these days, I'll do a full-bore oil painting or its like, but until I carve out the time to do so, this sort of quick project will have to do.
Silverwings
Posted: Jun 30 2007, 08:50 PM

Administrator

Here's the raw sketch, as you'd see it in my sketchbook. I did clean things up a bit (mostly erasing stray lines), changed the angle of his left leg, and I drew the book separately, scanned it in and spliced it into the scene. The book design came after I did the character, and I wanted the book in its entirety, so it made sense to go ahead and do it separately. (The scan of the book is below the character sketch.)

user posted image

user posted image
Silverwings
Posted: Jun 30 2007, 08:54 PM

Administrator

And here are three other sketches I did for the same contest. I was most happy with the first (I did it quickly when I heard of the contest), but I decided to go with the character above for the final. He turned out more personable when I did the sketch a few days before the deadline. That, and everyone and their dog did a painting of the "cool undead pirate guy!!!1!!1", so I decided to be different.

As above, all sketches were done with a black ballpoint pen in my sketchbook.

The undeadish Barnabas the Pale (magnified greatly; the original sketch was all of two inches square)
user posted image

Barnabas goes recruiting
user posted image

And Barnabas and Gretchen play American Gothic...
user posted image
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1076 seconds | Archive
The messages here express the views of the author of the message and are not necessarily the views of the administrator of this Board. The administrator will remove any objectionable messages immediately upon being notified concerning objectionable material. We reserve the right to delete any message for any reason at any time.