InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Peregrine Design. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Burr Puzzle Solution
Silverwings
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 10:45 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As part of the puzzle contest found here:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/...ad?thread=61714
I've put together the solution for my burr puzzle.

Burr puzzles have been around for a very long time, and maybe this is old hat to some of you, but this is a variation of a puzzle that I hand-made a few years ago. It's a locking burr puzzle, with a couple of moves at the end that keep it together in a bit more stable way than some burr puzzles. I'm not sure if this particular puzzle design and solution is totally unique to me, since it's really just a variation on a somewhat limited theme... but I did design this on my own, within the confines of a standard burr puzzle.

This would really be better to make in wood or maybe with a rapid prototype machine, but for the sake of this contest, where many people may be tinkering with this, I've settled on this sort of 3Dish presentation. The visuals were produced in 3DStudio Max version 9.

First and foremost, you should be looking at these pieces.
user posted image

They should be assembled into this, a standard burr base.
user posted image

And if you need a little extra help, there's a colored version here:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/Sil...inalColored.png

BE WARNED! The rest of this thread is dedicated to a step by step solution, so if you want to puzzle this out for a bit, wait before scrolling further.

Still here?

OK, the solution is below. I hope that you enjoyed this.
Silverwings
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 10:58 PM

Administrator

Start with the green piece.

user posted image

Add the yellow piece from above.

user posted image

Slide in the orange piece from the right.

user posted image
Silverwings
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 11:00 PM

Administrator

From here, you can go in two different directions. You can place either the purple or red piece, sliding in from above. It doesn't matter which one is first, since you'll wind up in the same place.

Purple first:

user posted image

Red First:

user posted image

Both purple and red placed:

user posted image
Silverwings
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 11:03 PM

Administrator

Now comes the locking mechanism. Slide the red piece up a notch to open up the channel for the key blue piece.

user posted image

Slide the blue piece in, aligning its gap under the red piece.

user posted image
user posted image
Silverwings
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 11:05 PM

Administrator

Slide the red piece back down, locking the blue piece in place, and solidifying the entire structure.

user posted image

This sort of thing really is more fun to make and play with, since it's a very tactile mechanical puzzle. As an exercise in 3D thinking, it's probably much harder than it needs to be. That said, it was fun to design. One of these days, I'll have to actually make it.

Silver
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1758 seconds | Archive
The messages here express the views of the author of the message and are not necessarily the views of the administrator of this Board. The administrator will remove any objectionable messages immediately upon being notified concerning objectionable material. We reserve the right to delete any message for any reason at any time.