Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Old Time Victrola Music Message Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

HMV 94A
Steve E.
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 06:17 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

OK, I'm putting this back up.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Steve E.
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 06:18 PM

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

This post has been edited by Steve E. on Jan 12 2009, 06:20 PM
Steve E.
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 06:19 PM

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
wjw
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 08:41 PM

Geezer

Member No.: 19

Nice machine in wonderful condition! Is that a velocity stop mech. under the turntable?
Steve E.
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 11:00 PM

Yes it is! has to adjust it slightly and it works like a charm. I don't get HOW, though.

Let's see what i can remember from the old thread....
Steve E.
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 11:14 PM

I bought this from Australia a couple months ago, and it was most likely designed for export to the bush from the UK.

It's reportedly a budget variation on the HMV 102. Note the truncated horn. Nonetheless, the sound is excellent. Not pictured is a little curved piece in the lower left hand corner of the box, which may help bounce the sound slightly and expand the functional length of the horn slightly. I think it compares favorably to the HMV C101G I just received today. Louder, less distorted. (Most likely the HMV 101 needs work on its #4 reproducer.)

This one has a double spring. Cool.

It's miraculously light to carry.

Someone explained that the "B" on the plate means "1936" and the "14" means "plus 14." Which means this machine was made in 1950.

What kind of reproducer is on this?

Really, my only gripe is...no place to store records! I wonder if it came with one of those odd record holding accessories like the HMV 102.
Phonojim
Posted: Jan 13 2009, 12:39 PM

Member No.: 33

From what I can see, the reproducer looks a lot like a Columbia Vivatonal.

PJ
Steve E.
Posted: Jan 13 2009, 02:58 PM

Did Columbia Vivatonals ever end up with Nipper dogs on 'em?

I used a microscope and determined that it does say "The Gramophone Company" in tiny letters on the decal. Did Columbia own that by 1950?

[Edit: US Wikipedia says yes, starting in 1931.]

This post has been edited by Steve E. on Jan 13 2009, 03:02 PM
Steve E.
Posted: Jan 19 2009, 12:02 PM

I just did a time test. I can get 9 minutes of play out of one winding of this. On the HMV 101 I can get, I think, 6 3/4 minutes. Actually, that makes me all the more impressed at the HMV 101 given that it's a single spring. (Neither spring has been lubricated.)

This post has been edited by Steve E. on Jan 19 2009, 12:12 PM
Dan Gilmore
Posted: Jan 19 2009, 07:57 PM

Neo Luddite

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

That's a nice solid spring for a portable!
AZ*
Posted: Jan 19 2009, 09:19 PM

Phono Nut

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Steve E. @ Jan 13 2009, 12:58 PM)
Did Columbia Vivatonals ever end up with Nipper dogs on 'em? 

I used a microscope and determined that it does say "The Gramophone Company" in tiny letters on the decal.  Did Columbia own that by 1950?

[Edit:  US Wikipedia says yes, starting in 1931.]

In Britain, Columbia and the Gramophone Company (HMV) merged in 1931 to form EMI. Some former Columbia products continued to be manufactured with Columbia trademarks and names, while others were issued with the HMV label. I have a Columbia 204 which is virtually identical to the HMV 97.

And yes, some Columbia Vivatonals did end up with Nipper on them.
Steve E.
Posted: Oct 18 2011, 12:18 AM

A little update.....

Now that I have an HMV 102 with a 5B soundbox, I am a bit less impressed with the sound on this 94, at least in its current shape. It's become my second best machine. Still good, but it lacks the nice full bass sound of the 102. It is, though, nice and loud, and like the HMV 102, it is unusually good for playing the quiet homemade 78s I cut onto picnic plates, for playback with catcus needles (but that's another story.)

It has a narrower arm than the HMV 102. Apparently this affects the potential bass response.

The soundbox of the 94 does not have a rubber gasket where it connects to the arm. It doesn't seem to need it. Snug fit, a little grease. Possibly a design advantage over time.

In the process of doing some research tonight, I found out a few things:

*There was an HMV 94 (with no "A") manufactured in 1940 (serial number B/4 gives the year away....right click on picture #3.)

http://www.windupgram.co.uk/hmv94.htm

This looks to be basically the same machine, in a nice brown. Soundbox looks identical. The seller does not describe whether it has autostop. it DOES have the bigger motor.

*The soundbox on the HMV 94 AND HMV 97 is apparently the No.21. I don't know if that's called a "Columbia" or "Viva-tonal" or "HMV" No.21. Apparently some wartime HMV 97s had a no.23, whatever that meant.

*I have now seen pix and videos of the somewhat better documented HMV 97 (Introduced in the earlier 1930's). I see NO DIFFERENCE between the 97 and the 94. Again, I wonder....might the difference have been autostop? Lack of double-spring motor in the HMV 97?

*The HMV 88 seems a little different from these, at least superficially. It has a little well for the needles, for one.

*Some sites say that the HMV 97 is virtually the same as either the Columbia 204 or the Columbia 211. I have seen photos of those. They look very close, but there ARE superficial differences. The 204 may have a different soundbox, or at least a different pattern on the faceplate. The 211 looks more like the HMV88, at least superficially. Nonetheless, yes, I do see a lot of similarities. They may ALL have that truncated horn that blasts to the back from the front left bottom
corner of the machines.
Dan Gilmore
Posted: Oct 29 2011, 06:45 PM

Neo Luddite

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Very neat machine. I always liked the little needle drawers on the corner.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Articles | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1268 seconds | Archive

The Old Time Victrola Music Message Board - http://z13.invisionfree.com/OTVMMB/index.php?act=idx
Old Time Victrola Music homepage - http://www.earlyrecordings.com/
2009 UndeadMedia Productions/Dan Gilmore - info/contact information:undeadmedia@gmail.com