Keep the Magic Secret is an active BBC Merlin rp created October 22nd 2008. We follow the stories of the young Merlin and Arthur.

King Uther's mad; Morgana's missing and Merlin's keeping a deadly secret that threatens to rip a hole in the foundations of life at Camelot itself. But with druids rising against them; the Old Religion firmly back in full power and Kilgarrah roaming the skies above, how long will secrets last and will the world Albion has come to know crumble under the drumming of war?

Join as a Canon or an Original and join in a world of magic, danger, romance and so much more. With so many twists and turns, you'll find a story for everyone.

AU since series one. Check out our full plot for more information.

Enjoy and just don't forget to: KEEP THE MAGIC SECRET.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now

ADD REPLY
TOPIC

FAQ's/Definitions
Merlin
Posted: Dec 28 2008, 01:03 AM

Arthur's Manservant
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

F.A.Q
FINDING YOURSELF STUCK ON WHAT TO DO? NO WORRIES, YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE. AS I SEEM TO BE FINDING A LOT OF PEOPLE AREN'T ENTIRELY SURE WHAT TO DO AND THAT SOME OF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE CONCEPT OF ROLE PLAYING: I HAVE DECIDED TO WRITE A SHORT FAQ PAGE THAT WILL BE UPDATED IF NEEDS BE.

WHAT IS THE SITE BASED ON?

Keep the Magic Secret is based on the BBC Merlin tv show. (Follow the link to see the BEEB website). It follows the story of a younger Merlin and Arthur, their friends, family and adventures. Over all it is a new take on the Arthurian Legends of King Arthur, only re-winded to him being a Prince with the bonus of 'Manservant' Merlin.

Nimueh did not die.
Morgana did not try to kill Uther.
Morgause did not fight Arthur.
Morgana has not been Queen.
The last two episodes of Season one, Season two, three and four have not happened on our site.

HOW DO I GET STARTED?

Firstly, You need to read the rules! This is a must because then replying to me with: I didn't know. Is only going to annoy me, because really you should know, shouldn't you? I don't have any of those sneaky questions or quotes/comments to add to your rules, I'm just trusting you read them!

Secondly, register if you have not done so already. I prefer it if you register with your character name but as that is not difficult to amend it's not the end of the world if you register with a wrong username. However, if you register with a username: i.e. merlinfreak, and then discover the fact you need a character name: Do not re-register. Just post your app and I'll change your name!

Make an application! Use this and post it in the Pending forum.

Claim the PB (PB=Play-By) you want to represent your character. You can't use someone already taken so have a look at the list before applying.

WHERE CAN I START A THREAD?

Anywhere you like so long as it makes sense. So, is your character really going to be in Arthur's bedroom with her best friend? Or in Nimueh's cave? Basically, think about it before posting there.

HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN BE IN A THREAD?

As many as you like. What I don't want however is:
If a thread has a character's name in it: i.e. [MERLIN] then clearly it's reserved for Merlin, right? This means someone else is already plotting with this character and this thread is designed solely for that person.

Don't join a thread that has already got people posting. If a thread is open but two+ people are already in it, then ask one of those people if you may join it, just because they could have started a plot or just didn't want another character introduced there.

HOW MANY CHARACTERS CAN I HAVE?

Up to four. If you've asked me however and I said you could extend that amount then it is fine to create more. Make sure you can handle them all and please don't make all four characters at once.

I HAVE A QUESTION: WHO CAN I ASK?

You can PM me; I am on everyday (or try to be). I will get to your question as quickly as I can. Don't forget I do have to roleplay and deal with other members as well; don't get annoyed if it isn't answered within five minutes. If I fail to answer. Reply here if you like. smile.gif

You can also ask Ali (Betheine/Clare ) or Suki (Taran/Morgana/etc tongue.gif) are also around for questions. If you feel stuck or just need a friendly person to talk to. We're your girls.

However, that isn't to say there is no one to ask if a staff member is not on. Ask another member, the chances are they'll know the answer too! smile.gif

If all else fails though, PM someone, write a message here, leave a note in the CBox or start a thread in 'The Royal Court' forum.

I HAVEN'T JOINED YET BUT WANT TO ASK, WHERE DO I GO?

Ok. As you can't PM anyone, you can try this.

If people are on: Ask in the CBox. However, if it's really busy, it might get over looked by the people posting. It doesn't mean they are ignoring you. It means they are caught up in a conversation and haven't noticed. It happens. Be patient and ask again. Chances are, they'll notice the second time.

If they haven't noticed or there is no one on: Ask in 'The Royal Court' forum. Its guest friendly and someone will answer it when they come on. I always check out new threads there, even if you already have someone replying to your question I'll be there to double check or add more info if it's needed.

I'M IN A THREAD BUT THE OTHER PERSON ISN'T POSTING?

People can't always be on every day, real life can be a bugger and you must make exceptions for people who are busy. However, if the person has not posted after three days, feel free to PM/Email them and ask if they are around or when they are able to post. Be polite though.

I POSTED MY APPLICATION AND YOU HAVEN'T ANSWERED, WHAT'S GOING ON?

It could be that I just didn't see it. It could also be that I have seen it, may have skim read it but not been able to sort it because of time restraints. It isn't just reading it through and writing a little message. I have to go through my ACP, find you on there and sort out your account. I have to add you to the census and write your name on the thing and it does take a while and I like to do it all in one go or else I'm likely to forget. Which means if I don't have time to do all it, I won't do any of it. I will never leave an app untouched for more than a day at the very most, so don't worry about it. You won't go without for long.

I also sort apps on another site and am part of three other RPGs atm, also I have uni. I don't always have time to read applications the day it's posted. It doesn't mean I won't try. I do try and put new members first and deal with applications to get them sorted.

I'VE NOTICED YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED CERTAIN APPLICATIONS AND DO NOT WRITE IN THE 'PENDING APPLICATIONS', WHY?

The reason is this: It hasn't been accepted, I PM people with corrections that need to be made and myself and the player alone know what is being said. If it's empty, it is being looked at, just via a PMing process instead of on public display. smile.gif

If it's not been accepted I still will not write in it. I simply move it. Why? Because no one else needs to know why that member isn't being accepted. However, that person is free to PM me if they have not understood. We do, however stamp all pending applications to make sure you guys know you're not forgotten!

DO YOU NOT ACCEPT PEOPLE WITHOUT GIVING REASONS?

There will always be a reason. I don't just ignore applications or not approve them and not tell the writer why. The person receives as detailed an-explanation, as I can manage.

I don't actually turn down applications without trying. I give people advice and ask them to change what I'd like edited. If they fail to do so then the character doesn't get accepted. You'll get a number of chances to correct things and I'll help as much as is needed for you to improve the application.

If there are applications in the unapproved sections it is because the character has disappeared without finishing or has been banned. They are left there so the person, if they choose to come back, can find it easily and let me know they wish to continue.

WANT TO PLAY ROYALTY, WHY IS IT NOT ACCEPTED?

Because... It was never part of the plan to have Royalty, the next thing we know we have a Prince, a Queen and then a King all from different parts of England. When we realised it was coming into a popular demand we ruled it out. Those who were accepted remained so but from now on, we do not accept it here. Other than the canons on the site, no royalty.

There are Noblemen, Knights and all sorts to be played instead, how about taking one of them? Camelot is made up of more than just Royals. smile.gif

I SEEM TO HAVE BEEN DELETED, WHY?

You'd have received an Email telling you a Activity check would be coming soon. You would then have gotten another Email a little while later telling you the check was underway and that you were to post in a certain area.

If you failed to do so then yes, you were deleted during the site cleanup. Your application was moved to an admin section and can be retrieved for you if you wish to come back with the same character. All you have to do is sign up with your name again and I shall restore your member status.

WHAT IS 'THE PAST' AND 'THE AU'S', AND WHY CAN I NOT SEE THEM WHEN I'M LOGGED OUT?

The Past is a place to play your characters History, for instance Merlin and Will rp's. Unlike AU, you must play your character. For instance I will always play Merlin in that thread. Arthur and Morgana must be played by their players also, however, when the characters are people not on the board, i.e. Merlin and Will then anyone can take up the character of Will.

The AU Is to play anything you feel like, you can take any character in any genre. I.e. Arthur and Merlin in Romance. It is not related to the board as a whole or the plot and is simply something for that thread for a little bit of fun.

There is information for both, so look inside for more detail.

Why can't you see them when logged on? Simply because I have not given that permission mask.

YOU ACCEPTED TWO FOREIGN ROYALS BUT YOU DON'T ALLOW MORE, WHY DID THEY GET THROUGH?

Eunan and Clare Byrne were accepted before the rules were changed. They became part of a mini site plot. There are now canon royals available. No others though.

WHAT IS IRICK?

Irick is the fictional Kingdom belonging to Eunan Byrne and his wife. Ali and Suki who play the characters have made a documentation all about Irick. If you decide you want to have a character from this city, you can read this to familiarise yourself with their customs. Look here for Irick

WHY DO YOU HAVE SEASON TWO AND THREE CANONS BUT YOU AREN'T FOLLOWING THE SHOW?

We decided we'd spice things up a bit in Camelot so on the 29th December 2009 we introduced a brand new plot. It involved mixing SOME season two canons with the season one plot. I.e. Nimueh calling on Morgause for help instead of Morgause coming on her own.

I HAVE A CHARACTER FROM THE LEGEND, CAN I USE HIM/HER?

This is tricky really. Whilst it would be great to see some of the legends beloved character roaming the halls of KTMS's imaginary Camelot, there is always the chance that they bring in that character with a particular plot that may or may not influence characters on the show. Example, if you bring Galahad into the forum and base him immediately after the Legendary Galahad and then Merlin brings him in as an important character in the show and make him completely different as they have with most characters, then we could be missing a vital link between the show and the site that could be necessary later on. However, this is not to say you can't base a character off your favourite Arthurian legend but try and change names or certain things to make them your own.

WHERE IS THE ICBOX MEANT TO BE SET?

I think you'll find most people have it set in The Golden Arrow Inn. It's KTMS' largest pub/inn and is situated in Camelot. However, there is no set location. Feel free to mix it up, just tell us where we are meant to be. smile.gif

I'M CONFUSED BY THE DRUIDS ON HERE, THE RULES HAVE CHANGED?

You MUST read the Druid Doc before joining as a Druid. Druidism. A Druid is no longer the name of a group of Sorcerers. It refers only the religion. The catagories under Magic users are now: Druid Magicians and Sorcerers. A Druid Magician is a clan member who has the ability to use magic. A sorcerer is an ordinary person who has learned the skill.

This post has been edited by Merlin Myrddin on Feb 23 2012, 05:48 PM

--------------------
user posted image
Merlin
Posted: Jan 19 2010, 05:42 PM

Arthur's Manservant
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

DEFINITIONS OF FREQUENTLY USED TERMS IN RPGS
understanding terms that you'll see around the site.

AU
    stands for/AKA -- Alternate Universe. (Sometimes known as Alternate Reality; AR).

what it means -- Basically as it suggests, a world where something changed in the story. Uther died and Arthur is King, or where Morgana was named as Uther's daughter or where Merlin is a noble, etc.
CANON
    stands for/AKA -- The word stems from the Literary Canon. A group of books/authors considered to be great and influential. In RP it refers to the list of Canon characters.

what it means -- These are the characters that are in the show. Merlin, Arthur, Morgana, Guinevere. They're characters that are relevant to the series or mentioned.
CBOX
    stands for/AKA -- Shortened term for Chat Box. Can also be ICbox (In character Chat box ((Below))) or OOCbox (Out of character Chat box).

what it means -- You all know this one.
FACE CLAIM
    stands for/AKA -- Also known as Celeb Claim or PB (played-by).

what it means -- It is basically the name of the actor/singer/model you are using to portray your character. For example, Colin Morgan plays Merlin. Canons on the site should use their show representative.
FANDOM
    stands for/AKA -- N/A.

what it means -- A group of people who focus on a show/book/movie/celeb etc. In this case we're a Merlin fandom.
GOD-MODDING
    stands for/AKA -- Sometimes it is called Power-Playing. There is another definition of Powerplay below.

what it means -- Taking control of another writers character. (Very much frowned upon.) Not to be confused with NPCing, below. If you intend to God Mod another character, you must have that persons permission. It does not count when the other character is not being played; E.G Merlin God-modding Arthur if Arthur was not being played on the forum. Not to be confused with NPCing (below).
IC
    stands for/AKA -- In Character.

what it means -- Talking as your character rather than as yourself. I.e. -Merlin laughed at Gaius- rather than Mikayla laughed at Tracey. xD.gif
ICBOX
    stands for/AKA -- In Character Cbox.

what it means -- Is basically like IM rping. smile.gif You must be in character at all times.
MARY SUE/GARY STU
    stands for/AKA -- MS and GS. Sue.

what it means -- Mary and her twin Gary are the ever perfect, ever annoying characters. They're perfect in every way, usually had a troubled past including horrific murder of parents and/or violent abuse. But s/he lives through it with a smile and the occasional mopey thread. At the end of the day, Mary and Gary will save the day, bring peace back to the land and be the best friend to every single character... You can't help but fall in love with them (mostly because if you don't, then you'll get a stroppy sue on your hands!) Not all Sue's are like this of course and you can find a more detailed description here and even take a test here <fair warning: it's long!
MOM
    stands for/AKA -- Member of the Month.

what it means -- KTMS does not currently do a Member of the Month.
NPC
    stands for/AKA -- Non-Played character.

what it means -- This means in threads where there are a crowd of people and you as the writer are controlling characters, they are characters that have not been app'd and do not belong to any member of the forum. Creating NPC's is always welcomed, as it adds depth and character to the world we are trying to create. NPC's are creatures in the forest, barmaids in the taverns, maids in the castle, etc.
OC
    stands for/AKA -- Original Character.

what it means -- Originals are the property of the person who created them and are therefore separate from the 'canon characters' as they have no place in the actual series. (But a very special place on the site). KTMS examples, Taran, Betheine, Mirabelle.
OOC
    stands for/AKA -- Out of Character. In Fanfics/RP threads sometimes noted as AN. Author notes.

what it means -- Opposite of our IC really. Mikayla laughing at Tracey, not Merlin laughing at Gaius. You may see OOC notes at the bottom of an RP post. E.g. OOC: Hope this is ok!
POWER-PLAYING
    stands for/AKA -- Some people refer to this as God-Modding (above).

what it means -- For me Power-playing is using your OOC knowledge IC. So, because the writer of character A knows character B is really a sorcerer, makes their character treat B as a sorcerer rather than a stranger they know nothing about.
PLAGIARISM
    stands for/AKA -- Theft.

what it means -- Not necessarily RP related really but I think it deserves a spot. Plagiarism is stealing anything creative that does not belong to you. Applications/Characters/Graphics/Skins, etc. On KTMS the penalty for plagiarism is an automatic ban if you're caught. It is not acceptable.
SHIP
    stands for/AKA -- Relationship or Shipping. Sometimes Friendship.

what it means -- It basically refers to two characters that are or should be in a relationship. Arthur/Gwen for example.
If there is anything missing please PM me (Mikayla) and I'll add it. If you don't understand something, similiarly, feel free to PM me about it.

This definition page was made by Mikayla for KTMS and cannot be reposted anywhere without permission. Thank you.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

OPTIONS
ADD REPLY
TOPIC

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2018 seconds | Archive