InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Jewel Of The Nile. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Login

your info here

staff

ADMINS: Joelle MODS:
*OPEN*

COTM

To be filled.

C-Box

affiliates

RPGLove
CREDITS

Skin © squidface/voldy/fruitsalad
Sidebar © squidface/voldy/fruitsalad
Banner- Maggie of Before the Mast

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )  ‏‏ADD REPLY ‏‏ ‏‏‏ ‏‏ ‏‏ ‏‏ ‏‏NEW TOPIC ‏‏ ‏‏‏ ‏‏ NEW POLL ‏‏ ‏‏‏ ‏‏

A Shopping Day, Sort of
Ariel bar Shlomo
Posted: Dec 18 2011, 08:18 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Ariel understood her impatience – she was scared. She needed a place where to feel safe, and no other than a temple was possible. He hadn’t thought for any moment about bringing her to his master. She would have ended in his bed… and no, Rivkah didn’t deserve this! Not again!

He smiled at her questions, while he gave her a hand to help her stand up, ready to head towards Isis’s temple.

“Well, my master is not a noble man, but a scribe who serves the Pharaoh, is a noble man. I am certainly only a slave, writing a complaint for a peasant or a letter to somebody in another town, for a meal and for a few coins to bring my master. I remember whom I meet, usually. Nobody who has no good memory can become a scribe, there are many signs to learn. What else do I do? Helping my master whenever he needs me… and still learning as much as I can. I started the scribe school later than other boys, and I caught up enough, but I still have to learn. I want to be better… I want…”

He wanted many things, but he sighed and he admitted on a barely whispered tone:

“I want to be able to buy my freedom some day. To not be a slave anymore.”
RivkahNafretiri
Posted: Dec 20 2011, 05:11 AM

Rivkah Nafretiri Bat Menachem

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

"You will. Even if you have to find another job- one when your master isn't looking- you will." If someone was nice enough to help her and be the first kind person she had met here, then she had to believe the best for them.

"You could do that, right? Find another job? I'd miss you...you know, since I have no others to speak my language with, but if you could buy your freedom, then you could do so much more. More even than your visiting me would be worth. To make money to keep for yourself- it would make you feel-"

Real. Whole. Like he was before the capture and before the raid on his village. She didn't have the words at the moment to express that, not really. But being so emotional at the moment, words were not coming easily to her. In fact, she was talking about herself as much as she was talking about him. Only that was another problem. Who would hire a young pregnant woman? She would need food for herself and the baby, and eventually, new clothes as well.

"I have more hope for you than for myself," she admitted. "I am free, but what good does it do me, in the condition I am in, when I need so much?"
Ariel bar Shlomo
Posted: Dec 28 2011, 08:48 AM

Advanced Member

Ariel was glad to receive Rivkah’s comfort and reassurance. About being free some day – his master didn’t object to the idea of him buying his freedom. It would mean that Ariel was somehow still indebted to him, still working for him partially, only that he would be entitled to own property and to marry – and it would also mean that he could buy a younger slave to train as he wanted… Maybe one less inclined to be a scribe and more skilled in other house-related activities. Not that Ariel was clumsy or untidy – he had been doing everything he had been asked for, but he longed for learning and here he was…

“Not when my master isn’t looking. He allows me to work for myself if I still have customers after I meet the sum he wants to receive daily from me. And it won’t happen so soon… But when it will happen, it doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t want to see you… Be sure that I will, Rivkah!” he explained on a warm tone.

The young man had to take a deep breath in order to suppress his wild longing to catch her in his arms and to bury his face in her hair. Every fibre of his being urged him to gather her to his chest, while she was encouraging him. Strange for him, because he was no womanizer – well, not the most virtuous person either, but usually women were those who granted him attention first in order to be remarked. He had always been respectful and never making unwanted advances.

But she was…just different - so sweet and sincerely caring for him, that her words and little gestures were worming their way into his heart. He fought the desire to kiss those tender doe-like eyes, upturned to his in her kind, unselfish statements that his freedom would be more precious to her, and that she had more hope for him than for herself. But suppressing all, he only smiled, though very tenderly.

“You shouldn’t think this way, Rivkah! First of all, you don’t really need much – a shelter above your head, food and clothes for you and your child. As long as you are free and your child will be born free, under Isis’ protection, nobody can enslave you again.”

"And afterwards? What will the fate have in store for you, for me...? Who knows?"
RivkahNafretiri
Posted: Jan 7 2012, 07:00 PM

Nafretiri smiled, really smiled, at that. No one could enslave her again if she got to Isis' temple! She had a sneaking suspicion, though, that her former master might send servants to try to look for her. Maybe they'd even try to force her to leave, but that could be dealt with. All she'd have to do would be to explain that someone might look. She turned her thoughts to happier things.

"Do you have any brothers or sisters? I can't believe I forgot to ask that. I think- partly- that the reason things are so hard for me lately is that I came here alone. And I know, even if I wanted to, that I couldn't leave, the same as you. But somehow, I've heard, it's easier if you have siblings when your parents go. You can comfort each other, if they live near to you anyway." And she gulped, close to tears.

Ariel bar Shlomo
Posted: Jan 10 2012, 04:46 PM

Advanced Member

They got closer to the temple, while discussing – it was obvious that both were happy to find a compatriot and to talk in their mother tongue. Then she asked about his siblings, and he sighed.

“I was taken alone, too. I had two sisters and three brothers, and I was my father’s second son. I don’t know if they survived the attack on the village or not. They might have been enslaved too, just like me… or killed right then.”
His voice was sad, but when he raised his eyes from the ground, he saw tears in her eyes, and he searched for a sort of handkerchief, clean enough to wipe her eyes.

“I guess we have one another now,” he said, tenderly wiping her tears out, and caressing a rebel hairlock, in passing, with this opportunity.

He couldn't say more, he could make no other promise than to come and see her. And this would be a promise to keep.
RivkahNafretiri
Posted: Jan 16 2012, 01:21 AM

She smiled- or tried to- and tried to compose herself as quickly as possible, although the truth was, she enjoyed him wiping her tears and stroking her hair. How could she not? This was the first comfort she had received since the terrible tragedies, and she almost reveled in it.

"I'm sorry," she sniffled at last, and looked at him with a much more composed smile. "Yes, I guess we do, don't we, Ariel?"

The way she said his name was almost a caress itself, just the way he had caressed her stubborn lock of hair. At the very least, it was a sound of relief and of thanks. She already dreaded leaving him, for she doubted he would stay, or even go into the temple with her. She could have used that, as she was still not sure whether Isis' priestesses would accept her, being that she was understandably nervous and that in any case her Egyptian would have been poor at best. Now, though, she was sure that due to her fear, it would be atrocious! Still, perhaps God had only sent him to her to get her to the temple safely and she would have to accept that if it were true.

And yet... something seemed to be missing, something she needed, and then it came to her.

"Wait a minute! If you are a scribe, then you know at least some Egyptian. I feel like such an idiot going in there knowing as little as I do. I wish we had some papyrus so that you could write a note, but as I don't see any at hand, you might know better what to say to them, and you could teach me. Just a few simple sentences would be all I'd have to know, for now," she explained. "We are not quite there yet. Please?"
Ariel bar Shlomo
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 01:50 PM

Advanced Member

Ariel met her glance, blushing when hearing the way she was saying his name. If he knew he was blushing, he wouldn’t have admitted it openly, blaming on the afternoon heat. But when she apologized, sniffing like a child, he let his arm around her shoulders, almost needing her to feel protected… Well, unfortunately, how much protection could a slave give to a runaway? But he was not accustomed to a woman’s tears and he didn’t know exactly how to comfort her.

“Of course we do!” he smiled back.

Then she got an idea… and yes, it made sense. She was new here, he was here for eleven years already. It was a difference… an important one.

“I speak the language well, I am here for more than ten years,” he answered simply. “And yes, I can teach you what to say…”

Then, after he got pleased with her way to repeat the words and the temple was to be seen somewhere in front of them, he thought of another way to encourage her, because he had seen her almost trembling:

“Rivkah, don’t be afraid! I can’t enter with you, but I’ll be around, and in the worst case, if the priestesses reject you, you won’t be alone. I’ll be waiting for you until dawn. If the worst thing happens, I’ll be here for you to find another temple… You aren’t a leaf in the wind!”

- THE END -
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

 ‏‏ ‏‏ ‏‏OPTIONS ‏‏ ‏‏‏ ‏‏Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ‏‏ADD REPLY ‏‏ ‏‏‏ ‏‏ ‏‏ ‏‏ ‏‏NEW TOPIC ‏‏ ‏‏‏ ‏‏ NEW POLL ‏‏ ‏‏‏ ‏‏

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1970 seconds | Archive
"Dream Frost" skinned by Voldy = squidface of RPG-D