InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register for Free

Name:   Password:

Welcome
Welcome to Hang 'Em High! We are an advanced Supernatural roleplay set in the United States and it's territories during the early 1880's. We've recently advanced our site-time from 1880 to 1881, and simultaneously changed site hosts to JCINK. This site will remain open as an archive-only site, and will not be accepting any new members or advertisements, but if you'd like to join up, feel free to check out
Hang 'Em High 1881!

The above is our site rating, as per the Universal RPG Rating System, so bear this in mind if you're intending on reading through any of the archived content on this site. It may contain mature language, situations, etc. that some people could find offensive.
Staff

Credits
-All site graphics were made by the Amazing STEPHA, Graphics Goddess!

-Sidebar: DANA of RCR

-Skin: SQUIDFACE of RPG-D, CANTERBURY of CAUTION!

-WPW Template: LORREIGN of CAUTION!

-All personal character graphics belong to their ORIGINAL CREATOR

-Huge thanks to KALISTA and SULLY for their help with all the coding mumbo-jumbo!

Don't forget to check out:
RPG-D

Add Reply  New Topic  New Poll  

The Village of Bethel Hill, [OPEN]
JOSEPH ENSLIN
Posted: Feb 7 2012, 08:40 PM

Curly Wolf
Group Icon

Group: Hunters
Member No.: 13

• Simple Man•
My mama told me when I was young, said sit beside me my only son and listen closely to what I say, and if you do this it'll help you some sunny day.

→ Oh, take your time, don't live too fast ,troubles will come and they will pass. You'll find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget that there is a someone up above. And be a simple kind of man, and be something you'll love and understand. Baby be a simple kind of man, oh, won't you do this for me son if you can?

The nightmare started off the same, every rain drop had its cue against the window pane. There was absolutely nothing different, from the smell, sensations, the emulated beat of his heart, every beat was the same it was the previous night he had the same horrific nightmare. He knew what was coming, knew he couldn’t stop it. Tonight his wife and child would die, and Joseph had to sit and watch the whole thing play out for an umpteenth time. The unfortunate baring of a tortured soul is marred by the death of a loved one, and even more so of a child. The part that eats him up the most is that the shapeshifter—the doppelgänger— had made itself look exactly like Joseph as he murdered them. If his child would remember him in one way, it was that night he murdered them, as it were it was the last thing his wife ever saw. They died thinking he killed them, and he might as well have as he couldn’t do anything to save them.

The dreamed played out the same; there was no deviation, no hidden meanings to goals in life or spiritual insight as to what he should do next. It was a simple reoccurring nightmare that was brought on by trauma that even in a decade he still can’t get over. His life was taken from him, one bit at a time by supernatural beings his entire life, and all he could do was sit and watch and when the time came to protect his family he couldn’t even do that. So he would spend the rest of his natural life hunting things that deserve hunting, and he cared not for cutting corners. Evil was evil, good was good, and if there is a grey area he crosses that bridge when he gets there. He’s an understanding and compassionate person, sometimes he feels like he needs to be; for his wife, daughter, and adoptive parents. In their memory, he needs to be the main they raised him to be, or taught him to be, or the man they fell in love with. By not being that man, what is the point in all of this?

Upon awakening startled he immediately jerked away from the drawn curtain window falling off his chair clambering to the floor. Grunting he pulled himself up by grabbing the bed post, shook himself off and began gathering his clothes. He wasn’t one for sleeping in bed’s, he was a camping fellow and he tended to sleep in the most awkward positions anyway, often times sitting up which he did in that rather luxurious inn chair. Now usually when he goes to town he tends to spend the night in the stable with his unnamed horse, but they wouldn’t allow him to do that here, why? It was a mystery to him, but he paid for a room. Money wasn’t an issue, he didn’t own a lot of it but he hardly found time to spend that which he earned from selling the Inn, also when he isn’t hunting he tends to keep himself busy as a jack-of-all-trades handy man, helping locals with building things, moving things, tending to things. Chores really, but they pay him money for it—though it sits there, it’s always nice to have for occasions where he must use it.

The afternoon nap proved fruitless, as in he didn’t actually mean to have one but apparently he needed one, not that it made him feel anymore rested due to the content of his nightmare. But all the same, if mentally he’s still fatigued at least his body will run for a little while longer until he finishes the job in town. That being said he made sure his hat was securely on his head, before grabbing his bag and heading out onto the streets of Bethel Hill. The target was something associated with his recent nightmare, a shapeshifter. Not that he’s an expert but he spent the most part of ten years trying to learn about shapeshifter culture, and their reasoning behind killing and how they feel about humans in general. None of it was particularly good, if there was any monster that loathes humans more it’s the shapeshifter.

Another part of Hunting a shapeshifter is knowing people, but since you can’t learn about everyone in God’s good book you need to learn about the shapeshifter—common species mannerisms, behaviours, triggers. Things that make them show their hand to you, things that will give them away and give you an opening to shoot or stab wherever you like. Point was, Joseph knew a few things and it gave him an edge against his foes.

Upon wandering the streets of Bethel Hill he spotted a figure within a crowd of people lurking around the farmers market, the figure looked back at him and smirked. He looked like an average citizen but Joseph tore after him anyway, pushing through the crowed like a tyrant sea. The smell of the farmers market was filled with fresh produce with a strong musky smell of perspiration. It wasn’t pleasant, but it was common when people gather together like this. It was hard to apologize to every single person he pushed aside so he stopped after three maybe. Once through the crowd, he saw the figure disappear out of the town limits and into a wooded area that was posed for removal any week now.

Dashing across the town line he lumbered into the woods in search for his target, however he was nowhere to be found. His eyes darted this way and that, he nearly tripped over an axe and some logging equipment while doing so. However luckily for him he didn’t trip, unluckily for him he was grabbed by the back scuff of his duster and thrown into a tree. He swore his back cracked in some place, but he was able to stand so it wasn’t like his spine was broken.

“You look good for being dead dad, here allow me to introduce you to your name sake. Frank, meet Frank.” He pulled the rifle from his back in one fluid motion, however pulling the trigger proved nothing, that’s what he heard when slamming into the tree—something on the rifle cracked. He panicked but the shapeshifter grinned as it rushed him. Joseph stared at it blankly and then relished his side piece, Margaret. It was too late however, for the shapeshifter anyway, as Margaret unloaded a silver round into the creature’s heart dropping it.

“Should have probably introduced you to mom as well,” He smiled weakly and watched as the skin began sheading off the shapeshifter. He leaned against the tree near the body and slunk down to the ground, rubbing the side of his head without noticing the blood seeping from his temple from being hurled at the tree.

WORDS = "1158" Tag: OPEN Notes: N/A!

--------------------
user posted image
SONJA LOVARA
Posted: Mar 17 2012, 09:49 PM

Shave Tail
Group Icon

Group: Witches/Warlocks (Admin)
Member No.: 26

Sonja had just finished up a skinwalker case. It had been terrorizing a town, eating young folk, causing a ruckus. So of course when the reward sign went up for the giant wolf in the area, Sonja and Briya were on the job for the cash. Besides if normal hunters went after it, they would only bring back an actual wolf, who had done nothing. People would still die. Well the hunter would too if they actually crossed paths with the skinwalker.

It had been a simple enough kill. Unfortunately once a skinwalker is killed they turn back to human form. Sonja would get no reward for that. Knowing that if she didn’t bring something back to the town, they would go on a wolf murder spree, she found an old one in the woods. One that had a good long life. His sacrifice would be for the rest of his pack.

She had brought the wolf back to the town, claimed her reward (after influencing the men a bit) and took off before they accused her of witchcraft. Briya, Sonja knew, would be a while. So she moved on, knowing that Briya would find her when she was ready and done with her job. The sister’s were never apart for long, and Briya had a knack for finding people when she wanted too. If Sonja didn’t hear from her in the next few days she would go to a secret location that only the sister’s knew of. It’s where they always went to wait for each other if they got separated.

In the meantime, Sonja found herself in Bethel Hill, playing the part of fortune teller. She had powers, but rarely ever did she actually use them when she was reading for the gadje. Besides if she did more than read cards – which really she couldn’t – or look in a crystal ball – which only showed the cracks and air bubbles trapped with in – they would call her a witch and try to burn her at the stake. It wouldn’t be the first time someone had tried to condemn Sonja.

Sonja was at the farmer’s market, picking up some breakfast, when she noticed the men running through town. It peaked her interest, and since Sonja is an adrenaline junkie, naturally she wanted in on the fun. She tore off after them, slipping quietly through the trees. When she saw them stop she scurried up one, lithe and limber, crouching on the branch.

It didn’t take long for her to realize the man was a hunter and the other thing was a shapeshifter. Licking her lips in anticipation, Sonja watched the fight, waiting for the moment to intrude. Adrenaline was already coursing through her veins, but before she was able to take that moment in and leap in, the hunter killed the shapeshifter.

Sonja pouted. She wanted to have a little fun.

Instead of getting to play with a shapeshifter she was going to have to tend to the gadje who had his head split open. This was really more Briya’s area of expertise. Still Sonja swung out of the tree, landing in a crouch. She wore a white gypsy dress that fell off the shoulders, her gun loosely on her hip. She tilted her head at the man.

“You’re bleeding.”
JOSEPH ENSLIN
Posted: Mar 21 2012, 12:13 AM

Curly Wolf
Group Icon

• Simple Man•
My mama told me when I was young, said sit beside me my only son and listen closely to what I say, and if you do this it'll help you some sunny day.

→ Oh, take your time, don't live too fast ,troubles will come and they will pass. You'll find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget that there is a someone up above. And be a simple kind of man, and be something you'll love and understand. Baby be a simple kind of man, oh, won't you do this for me son if you can?

He was in a daze, it seemed like the blood seeping out from his temple was causing some distortion and discomfort. It wasn’t as if he’d die if he just let the wound heal on its own, but he’d have to stay hydrated and well fed. The only thing he’d need to do was possibly stitch and make sure the wound stayed clean. Last thing he needed was a feverish infection, that would be a little more difficult to fight off. It was an unfortunate circumstance that when he had awoken he didn’t consume any sustenance, it made him feel weak and drained and it didn’t occur to him until he engaged the shapeshifter that he was a little groggily. Obviously it was trying to bait him out, by appearing as his father, the things had a knack for adapting to their skin, having the memories of people take their new forms of.

Just when Joseph’s day couldn’t get any worse a woman leapt from the tree down below, she looked a little funny but he couldn’t help but chuckle when she pointed out the obvious. Everything was a little fuzzy, and a little blurry, if she had said anything else he probably didn’t hear due to the ringing in his ear. The unfortunate truth of it all was that he was kind of out for the count, if she was some other assailant he might not be able to fight her off, he couldn’t die just yet—It felt like there was more work to be done, and he wasn’t about to throw in the towel and let this woman take his life because he was fighting on an empty stomach.

With a grunt and a groan he pushed himself up from the tree he was sitting against, and leaned on it instead, the blood pooled around the left side of the bags under his eye replacing the dark hued skin with a bit of red—He didn’t bother wiping, as it wasn’t in his eye and if he bothered it might leave him more defenceless than he already is giving her an opening to strike. He glared past the blood and his own dizziness towards the woman, he weakly held his side piece and grumbled about the lack of Frank—there were some repairs on him that needed to be done before he can start shooting again, for now it was just him and ol’ Margaret.

“Not sure who you are, or what you want, but I ain’t in no need for a woman around that will just point out the obvious. So if you’re gonna kill me, stop beatin’ around the damn bush and start already.” He waited for her attack, he was weak enough that he couldn’t just raise his gun arm and pretend to be intimidating with it—He wanted to wait till the last minute and try his luck, else she see his shakiness and take it as a sign of weakness and use it against him. He’s a pretty good shot, but right now he wouldn’t be surprised if he couldn’t shoot a can of beans off a fence.

[b] WORDS = "529" Tag: SONJA Notes: Boo/b]

--------------------
user posted image
SONJA LOVARA
Posted: Mar 24 2012, 01:12 AM

Shave Tail
Group Icon

Sonja only laughed when the man suggested she was about to kill him. She couldn't help it, she found it funny. She had no desire to kill the man - not unless he proved to be a threat as so many gadje did. It seemed however, that all of them were stupid to some level. More than most others. While Sonja had no problem having fun with gadje she did not trust them. The only person in the world she trusted was her sister.

"I'm not here to kill you." Her 'R's rolled off her tongue easily, the clear sound of a Roma accent on her lips. "I followed you to kill the shapeshifter, but what you like in brains you apparently make up in brawn." She flashed him a smile. "Perhap's that will keep you alive a while longer."

Without asking, Sonja marched right up to him, watching for any sudden movements on his part, and took his chin. She tilted his head to better assess the wound. It wasn't too deep, but it was swollen and bleeding. The man was probably going to be out of his head for a bit. Just what she needed an insane gadje.

Then again, Sonja realized it could be fun. She was a thrill seeker, always looking for that next rush of adrenaline. If the man came after him, it would make her heart beat wildly, and no doubt a smile would come to her face, even as she killed him. Not that she was a murderer. Sonja would only kill him if he tried to kill her.

"You will live, but you should sit before you fall." She let go of his chin and reached into her side satchel, pulling out a poultice. Sonja always kept some of the medicinal's on her. Especially since there were times when she and Briya didn't make it out of town unscathed. Unwrapping it, she placed it over his temple - it was moist enough to stick. Then she stepped back.

"Was that just as obvious?"
JOSEPH ENSLIN
Posted: May 9 2012, 09:01 AM

Curly Wolf
Group Icon

• Simple Man•

Joseph wasn’t sure what this woman’s game was but he wasn’t hell bent on finding out, when she drew in closer to him he withdrew a bit but when she eased her hand to his chin he reluctantly eased up on any sort of sudden movement on his part that might seem threatening to her. Instead he remained stoic, his expression blank as he stared up at her in some sort of haze, he wasn’t even sure where she came from as he should have known if someone were following him—maybe she was just that good, or maybe he was too focused on his kill and blindsided by anger that he wasn’t paying attention to his surroundings, either or doesn’t bode well for him. It just means he needs to get better on his tracking and keeping in mind his surroundings, and it means that he needs to focus a little less on revenge and more on practical survival so he can live to hunt another day.

He was no fool when it came to accepting help, he’ll take it but the way this woman talked and acted rubbed him wrong—he remembered several gypsies from his travels and how they acted indifferent, she sort of sounds the same so she could be a gypsy as well? He didn’t think too much on it, free medicinal care so he wouldn’t argue too much or think too much about it. What troubled him though was her lack of concern, it hid her motive from him and he doesn’t like it when people hide behind a façade of cards, their hand kept only to themselves even when it’s time to call.

Joseph reluctantly slid down the tree further till he was seated, heeding her advice about standing with his head wound. The poultice she stuck to his head felt stick, damp, moist, and over all uncomfortable as one might say but it did ease the pain some and it felt as if it were doing wonders on the open gash. He didn’t understand medicine much himself, he knew how to stop a man from bleeding or how and where to cut off a limb but when it came to the plants, the stuff that really gets down in those cuts to magically stave off fever he knew very little about. It was probably for the best, Joseph didn’t want to know the amount of bat shit and cow piss that goes into the little things.

“You said you followed to kill the shapeshifter, so you’re a hunter too eh?” He gave her a sort of weak smile, his face remained stone cold, and his chiselled jaw remained pointedly in the air as he stared in her direction. His breathing was slightly laboured from being exhausted so his chest was heaving up and down causing his duster to wrinkle a new landscape with every breath. The tickle of sweat down his stubbled face made its way down the side of his neck disappearing in the collar of his shirt; it caused him to crank his neck to get at an itch.

“God I feel like my head is going to roll of my shoulders and crash to the ground in a million pieces, if I didn’t know any better I’d say there’s three of you and if I were in any state of mind or had any desire to I think I’d be quite entertained with the three of you.” He let out a dry chuckle and lowered his head, making sure to lower it enough that the sun would be blocked out from his eyes, the tendrils of hair just barely covering his brow provided some comfort but it was enough. The sun was starting to cause his head to ache more, he assumed it was because of the wound and he never really understood the correlation between head wound and his sight aside from the fact that both eyes are logged in the head, one can’t argue the logic that one would somehow effect the other—brain is the conductor of the whole body, says when to go and when to stop much like the heart, but the brains are—to play on the brain itself—the brains of the operation.

WORDS = "715 Tag: OPEN Notes: Still alive

--------------------
user posted image
SONJA LOVARA
Posted: Jun 2 2012, 03:11 AM

Shave Tail
Group Icon

Sonja watched as the man slid down the tree and took several steps back. Her lip quirked in amusement as he spoke, and she began to wonder if perhaps the braining had shaken a screw loose. Perhaps he was this way before. It was neither here nor there to Sonja. He was gadje and there for nothing other than a man who perhaps could show her a good time if she so wished. Her sister would frown, thinking that Sonja indulges in pleasure of the flesh much too often. Though Sonja only let her sister think such things.

When he asked if she was a hunter, Sonja shook her head. "No. I am no hunter. Not like you. Perhaps though, I am something of a sort. I do not like evil running around giving those of us who are -" She paused, inclining her head to him. "Different a bad name. Though in this world you do not have to be a monster, just of a different nature to be hunted."

Grinning, Sonja winked at him. "I can see you in town if you wish. Then I must depart. There is probably a doctor among the people there. I fear I can not stay too long, as I should meet my sister soon. Besides, I gather strange stares from the people and they generally do not like my response."

Sonja was nothing if not mischievous. She had no problems dropping hints that she wasn't quite as mundane as most of the people around. Sonja was by no means a monster, but the term imp tended to come to mind. At least that is what Briya would say.
JOSEPH ENSLIN
Posted: Jul 17 2012, 12:44 AM

Curly Wolf
Group Icon

• Simple Man•

“Darling with your accent you’re enough to make any man shake in his boots,” He chuckled and held his head, he wasn’t in the business of flattery or even of complimenting on the skills of intimidation but he hit his head pretty hard, though he wasn’t in the business of making excuses either. He couldn’t quite come to grips with his own mortality at that very moment, she patched him up with her knowledgeable mojo but that was pretty much all she could do for him, the mention of a doctor in town sure sounded like a good idea and he didn’t mean to offend his current company but he could do without the complication of her presence. With a groan, he slowly began to rise using the tree as support, and didn’t seem to spend much time on the ground sitting like she recommended—he was almost positive in a couple of hours he would be fine, he isn’t one to stay injured for very long—or rather he stays injured for a long period of time because he is too stubborn to sit still and let things fully heal.

“I ain’t surprised you’re no Hunter, you don’t seem like you can muscle your way out of a fight but who knows, I could be wrong and I’m the one with the head injury aren’t I?” He let out a small chuckle and shook his head a bit, which he almost immediately regretted if anything as he choose to remain leaning against the tree with a laboured breath, before he sucked it up and squinted his eyes and hobbled along away from it, when he found his footing again he opened them and almost gave her a boyish gleam—almost as if he were dazed or high, the trauma to his head made him feel like he was on the butt end of a good night of drinking.

“Listen here gypsy, you’re not a monster just because you’re different and anyone else who says otherwise can stick it where the sun don’t shine or talk to me—I hunt monsters, I don’t care if they’re human or not, I do what’s right cause it’s right to do what’s right— people should know right from wrong without having a god or a father to tell them, people need to think for themselves.” Clearly he was rambling, and the blood rush from his head didn’t help him any more with this fact as a near drunken persona has assimilated his core personality to a happy-go-lucky defender of the people—if he could see himself now he would regret everything he was saying, and probably would never drink again but a drink at this point in time sounds like a fairly lucrative prospect.

“God I need a drink, my head is killing me-“ Something he’s never done in a long while was heavily drink, he used to do so when his wife and child first died and now he clings onto sobriety so he can keep those memories clean, and the wound fresh, it’s the drive that keeps him going to make sure no other man, woman, or child goes through what he went through. “Come on then, I thought I was getting a pretty escort into town and now you’re going to make me drink alone? Psh, some impromptu nurse you are and I ain’t even sure what impromtouche means.” Joseph was an educated enough man, he learned a few things here and there when he grew up in the inn, self-taught himself a great deal, and when he became owner of said inn he understood a lot more than he’d like—though there are a few words that escape his range of intellect.

WORDS = "626" Tag: SONJA Notes: N/A!

--------------------
user posted image
SONJA LOVARA
Posted: Jul 28 2012, 04:38 PM

Shave Tail
Group Icon

The man was rambling in tongues that Sonja was not sure were his own. Head wounds were funny like that, making a person lose their way, act a fool, and be someone they were not. Not a moment ago he was happy to see a doctor, and now he wanted the gypsy woman to drink with him. There was a little nagging voice in Sonja's head that said doing so would be a bad idea. It would cause problems in town and besides, she was meant to meet her sister shortly.

Sonja told the voice to shut up. She was prone to stirring up trouble. It kept things interesting. Not so bland as many liked them. Sonja was much more the person to enjoy kicking the hornets nest to see what the buzz was all about. Plus, if she were gone too long, she would rightly worry her sister. That brought a grin to her face as well. Sonja very much enjoyed keeping her sister on her toes.

The slight about her not being able to hold her own in a fight, made Sonja quirk a brow. She felt anger swell inside of her and thought that Briya would be proud for not hexing the man where he stood. Of course that was the mentality of most men. Women could not handle the job. Perhaps Sonja would teach him a lesson - once she was sure he would live.

"We will take you to the doctor," Sonja said easily. Her fingers twitched, wanting badly to teach him a lesson for his cavalier attitude, but she held off for now. "If he says you will not die, I will have a drink with you. Then I must be off. While it is enjoyable to worry Briya some, I do not wish to drive her to an early grave from it."

"And my name is Sonja, not gypsy." She reached out a hand, offering to help him up.
JOSEPH ENSLIN
Posted: Aug 13 2012, 08:12 PM

Curly Wolf
Group Icon

• Simple Man•

Joseph was glad the gypsy was willing to take him to the doctor and have a drink with him, he wasn’t sure why though. He wasn’t sure why he was willing to go to the doctors now and why he was willing to have a drink with this woman who could turn out to be dangerous, a pick-pocket of some kind, or worse. Then again, she knew of the shapeshifter so it could be all three of those things for all he knew. Yet for some reason his judgement and reasoning went out the window, he felt a bit on the light headed side, his head injury impairing him a bit worse as time went on. At this rate he wouldn’t be surprised if he blacked out, he assumed the doctor might have a thing or two to say about drinking, but he really needed one.

“Right, Sonja. I’m Joseph.” Wasn’t sure if he already said that already, had to actually stop and think about it for a moment as he hobbled up back onto the road on the way back into town. He would lean down and pull on some grass as if to help propel him forward up the steep hill, but at it did was cause his footing to stagger even a bit more until he was upright again and his feet were on gravel. He crunched the dirt and rock beneath his boot and blinks heavily a few times before trekking on back into town, assuming his companion was either at his side or following.

Of course walking into town injured the way he was would part crowds, a few people would ask him if he needed assistance but he shook his head. He was starting to get tunnel vision, couldn’t see what was happening behind him or on his peripherals. What this Sonja woman was doing never really seemed to register with him, if she was even still there as he stumbled towards the doctor’s office. Grabbing onto the wooding railing after nearly stumbling over and giving a small grunt as he pushed himself off to dust he jacket and pant legs—which again almost caused him to stumble forward, this time risking greater head injury by putting his head through said railings.

When he eventually got to climb up the steps of the doctor’s office, he pushed open the door and held his ears at the chime of the bell on top. “Not sure why the blasted thing is so loud, worse than church.” He didn’t have much in the way of manners at this point, so he hobbled over to the desk and pounded his fist against it, leaning heavily as he muttered out some incoherent words as if explaining the situation. Tapping on his noggin with a wince and then groaning immediately regretting it. “Doc, need to fix me up. I seemed to have fallen off my horse and into a tree of some sort, promise I wasn’t fightin’ no monsters.”

WORDS = "502" Tag: SONJA Notes: How bad is it doc?

--------------------
user posted image
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Topic Options Add Reply  New Topic  New Poll  

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3619 seconds | Archive
"Grand Unification" skinned by squidface of RPG-D / canterbury. of Caution!