MAGIC: A BIOLOGICAL STUDY
It is a fact that magic is a dominant and resilient gene.
- How are Squibs made?
* Note: Squibs, according to this study, should very rarely appear in Pureblood families. If one does, there is either a rare mutation of some kind (which I will look further into) or your family's past is not as Pure as you think it is. I will prove why here.
A - Magic Gene
a - Muggle Gene
AA + AA = AA
AA + Aa = Aa
AA + aa = Aa
In short, a magic gene in combination with any of the three combinations will produce a magical phenotype.
Aa + Aa = 75% chance of having magical children leaving a 25% chance for Squibs.
Aa + aa = 50% chance of having magical children leaving a 50% chance for Squibs.
But what about Muggleborns?
aa + aa = 0% chance of having magical children.
We know they exist but how have they managed to override the laws of nature? As of now, I can only draw a couple of conclusions though none are based in fact, merely ideas thrown together from various research and critical thinking. They could be the result of a random mutation, though I don't believe anything is random and there must be something that causes this but as I haven't gotten that far I'm going to call it random for now. The other conclusion, which seems more logical, is extramarital affairs with someone possessing the magical gene.
It is important to note that there are varying strengths of the magical gene. For example, a Squib still possesses the magical gene but the strength of this gene is lower than average. Therefore all wizards and witches have different levels of magical strength. Therefore the above numbers are not completely correct but merely what I'm going to be working from. Obviously there aren't that many Squibs around, figuring out the strength of the magical gene and how it can be determined is the next step.
To be continued.