InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Gothic Chess Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Ed Labate = "Helgi" from "My 61 Memorable Games"
GothicInventor
Posted: Mar 26 2008, 11:51 AM

Inventor of Gothic Chess

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

As many are undoubtedly aware, Ed Labate has been on a vitriolic crusade relatively recently. I, for one, had not been able to figure out his reasonings. My attorney had advised me to take a "wait and see" approach. I also had to wait for AOL to conduct their official email server audit to confirm I had nothing to do with those spoofed emails he keeps "airing out" to the world. I now have an AOL representative's letter stating they were spoofed, fabricated entirely by Labate.

That still doesn't tell us "why" he did this.

Usually when such a series of tirades such as Labate has spawned run their course, invariably, as they say: "Given enough rope, and he will hang himself."

Labate has done just that.

Note that he claims he had access to some "secret information" about this subterranean book venture since August of 2007. That's an amazing claim that predates even my public hinting that I heard something as well. It wasn't until October 2007 that I was "in the know." This has been documented by inference both on YouTube and via the "Roger Maris" hint I dropped on the ChessGames.com discussion board.

I will not deny that somebody contacted me about this, because that is exactly what happened.

The question has always been: Who was it?

Back to Labate and his claim of knowledge of this from August 2007. When did his tirade first begin? December 2007 is my best guess. After the eBay auction in Canada ended. So why the four month delay? Why not announce to the world in August, or September, or October, or November, or December? Why did the earth need to travel nearly 195 million miles as it swept out 120 degrees of its full course around our sun?

There simply was no answer -- until he blamed somebody. You see, Labate is the "Helgi" character that Evans had been writing about. Labate is the source of all of the mystery. Labate is the one behind everything. But Labate needed someone to serve as the object of his scapegoat plan. As I had already revealed my travel to Iceland, my meeting with Fischer (after 2 failed attempts to make it happen), and the match deal to have him play Anatoly Karpov, Labate tried to hide behind the notion of the nebulosity of this whole match, and single this out as nothing more than a publicity stunt, as he rallied behind the "public sentiment" that this was exactly what I have done.

As I have stated repeatedly, the Fischer-Karpov Gothic Chess match was no publicity stunt. For 21 months of back channel negotiations, I didn't breath a word of it. Only when the match financiers "called me to the carpet" to make the announcement on the October 12, 2006 edition of the Dan Heisman show, in an attempt to goad Fischer into finally signing the contract, did I make known the details of the match.

My point: I did the OPPOSITE of what everyone claimed. I kept it a secret, a BIG secret, and only made it public when the financiers threatened to pull out of the deal.

Back to Labate. Now I have been able to reverse engineer what type of perceived character Labate was looking to frame, one whose "internet persona" has a tincture of discoloration due to public disbelief rather than factual data. But that still leaves two questions unanswered:

Why did Labate do it? (motivation)
Why now? (timing)

Again, I didn't have the answers until recently. You see, Labate has been awfully persistent in his fabrications and nonstop postings. Did you ever stop to read what he is claiming in the posts? He is basically saying that I invented this entire thing for the sole purpose of scamming him. Can there be a more self-centered reason?!? Think about it. Ed Labate, who was functionally bankrupt in California before moving to the mud hole he dwells in now, is claiming that someone who has made 7-figure incomes was trying to take money from him. Does this make sense? Why the hell would anyone go to so much trouble to take money from somebody who has no money?!? Again, Labate doesn't make an sense (or cents.)

Now we have his "reason" for doing it. He hosted, via eBay, a supposedly signed and dated by Bobby Fischer copy of "My 60 Memorable Games." I told him I was interested in this book. He wanted $5,000 for it. I told him I would contact Fischer, through the liasons of his that I know, and ask him about it. Labate said "Fine." It took a little while, as do all communications of this nature, and finally I got the word back. "Bobby Fischer never dated any item that he signed before FIDE claims to have taken his title."

Now, did I post to the web that this item was a fake? No. Did I make a great deal of noise about this? No. I just quietly told him that I was not interested in acquiring this item. End of story.

Or so I thought. Labate blew a gasket. He was pissed off. He sent me tirade after tirade that December. Nonstop, like a kid pitching a hissy fit. Ed Labate is an emotional basket case. I must have received a dozen of his lashings via email. Then, he even posted my name in the auction listing on his site.

user posted image

I asked him to take my name off of the listing. He didn't. I called the local police department, who informed me to call the Limstone County Sheriff, since they patrol Labate's neck of the backwoods.

Now, Labate continues to claim that I never placed such a call. Yet he never explains why he removed my name from the listing a day later. So Labate, why did you remove my name from this eBay item?

user posted image

Let's see what kind of b.s. tale he spins to answer that.

Back on topic. Labate's motivation: He needed that $5,000 pretty desperately. I wasn't giving him one red cent. He was now in financial trouble. And, as I have shown, he is a ranting maniac. Now his "revenge" was this whole "book thing" that he fabricated.

Recall the "timing" I spoke of. He claims he had knowledge of this from August 2007, yet it is December 2007, a week after I pull out of the fake Bobby Fischer book purchase, that he starts on his tirade.

Coincidence?

You decide.

But wait, there's more!

How did I finally figure out Labate was Helgi?

Back to the "give him enough rope" metaphor. In his recent postings, Labate is "calling for" the packing slips from Denmark from where the books were shipped. Labate also posted something about the weight of international shipping boxes being "too heavy" and claimed the woman selling the eBay merchandise was my sister-in-law.

There's one immediate problem with the Labate theory. You see, I am not married, nor have I ever been, so I have no "sister-in-law" that lives in Canada. Now, my brother was recently married, and he lives in Pennsylvania with his wife, but he is in Texas now being trained for deployment to Iraq. And, yes, he was married before, to another American girl, who lives in Easton, PA, and who has never lived in Canada, etc. so Labate was so used to believing his own b.s. that he just made up one more detail, operating under the assumption that I was married.

But back to the shipping. Interesting that Labate knows exactly where the boxes supposedly came from, isn't it? To my knowledge, that has never been discussed. So how does Labate know where the boxes came from? And how the heck does he know how much the boxes of books weigh?

It has been under our noses all of this time! Labate is Helgi! Labate printed the books, blamed me, and now he feels vindicated by mere implication!

Look at what he is asking for in terms of proof! He is asking for the shipping documents (which he has), he is asking for all of the international items that only he has, and, of course he is not going to make them public!

And another motivation: Who was the one furnishing all of the links of "proof" of my involvement? Where did those links point back to? You guessed it, LabateChess.com ! How much traffic do you think he has generated back to his own website?

And, let's think about it another way.

Ed Labate has already stated, several times, that he paid me absolutely no money for any of these books. That is a true statement. Labate can't deny that. So, let' see, I received no money, I never posted a link back to my site, and I have no sister-in-law in Canada, so what exactly is he claiming?

Oh, that's right, he is mad because he lost NO money.

Or did he?

Wait a second. Wouldn't the "Helgi" person be pretty upset? After all, he printed all these books, shipped them internationally, and now, according to Evans, the girl from Canada was going to destroy the books (and not give Labate any money.)

Do we know of anyone who has shown extreme irritation when money he had planned on does not arrive?

Answer: Yes, it is Ed Labate.

Does it make sense for someone who lost nothing to go on such an extreme campaign?

No, it really doesn't. Why waste your time?

Would it make sense if Labate dumped a great deal of money into publishing the book then got screwed by his Canadian contact?

Sure does. Makes perfect sense. Labate is acting the same way he did before.

So now we have Labate's motivation: Revenge against me for backing out of his fake Fischer book deal coupled with a perfect way to drive people to his LabateChess.com website. Bravo, Labate!

Now we have the timing issue resolved: Labate claims to have known about this since August, yet he started blowing off steam on in December after I backed out of his fake Fischer book deal.

Now we know who "Helgi" really is.

So, can we make any more predictions, based on all of this data?

I have one. Labate is still hard pressed for money, so now, after he has "hyped this up", we will start seeing those books appearing.

Just watch people, just watch. Maybe not now, since Labate is exposed, maybe not next month, that would be too soon, but eventually, we'll see that book.
ChessV
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 11:29 AM

Gothic Chess Enthusiast

Member No.: 40

I think everyone knows I'm no fan of Trice's. Those posts on Ed Labate's site seem pretty damning to me. He claims you made all kinds of scamming attempts against him and I just don't get what you are claiming in return.

You're saying he was both the person behind the original orders and the person who claims he didn't get what he ordered?

That's just stupid.

Explain.
GothicInventor
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 02:10 PM

Inventor of Gothic Chess

QUOTE (ChessV @ Mar 31 2008, 11:29 AM)
I think everyone knows I'm no fan of Trice's. Those posts on Ed Labate's site seem pretty damning to me. He claims you made all kinds of scamming attempts against him and I just don't get what you are claiming in return.

You're saying he was both the person behind the original orders and the person who claims he didn't get what he ordered?

That's just stupid.

Explain.

What I was saying is that Labate has "too much information" about one very important piece of the puzzle (he knows how much the boxes weighed that were shipped from Europe, and he knows where they were shipped from, and this was never posted anywhere that I recall.)

Also, he keep claiming I did not call the Limestone County Sherriff's office, and I called at least 3 times, maybe 4. You see, his home town's police force doesn't patrol his area, when I called them, they directed me to call Limestone County. How could I possibly know that if I didn't call? Then, I did speak to "Pat", who is the receptionist who answers the phone for the Limestone County Sheriff's office. Each time she said something like "I'll see if I can send you over to an investigator" and each time I spoke with someone else.

I guess Labate knows one of the "good ole boys" who was not one of the people I spoke with, and he keeps insisting that people should talk to him. You see, Labate does an a great job at "incomplete innuendo" and allowing people to draw the wrong conclusions.

Take the images I posted about his fake Fischer eBay listing. Did he ever explain why he took my name off of the auction?

Answer = "No."

The reason: Because the Sheriff did visit him and advised him of my call, since sending out emails as he has done is currently a Misdemeanor Harassment charge, which I elected not to file if he complied.

Well, what do you know, Labate actually took my name off, and no charges were filed.

You see, I was being nice about it, he complied, so what was the point?

He still has not answered the simple question, so I'll ask it again here:

Why did you remove my name from your listing if you weren't visited by the Sheriff?

Labate is lying about this, which he claims is his "pillar of proof", yet it is so simple to disprove.

The other stuff on his page is so ridiculous it does not even need comment.
ChessV
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 04:23 PM

Gothic Chess Enthusiast

QUOTE (GothicInventor @ Mar 31 2008, 02:10 PM)
What I was saying is that Labate has "too much information" about one very important piece of the puzzle (he knows how much the boxes weighed that were shipped from Europe, and he knows where they were shipped from, and this was never posted anywhere that I recall.)

Also, he keep claiming I did not call the Limestone County Sherriff's office, and I called at least 3 times, maybe 4. You see, his home town's police force doesn't patrol his area, when I called them, they directed me to call Limestone County. How could I possibly know that if I didn't call? Then, I did speak to "Pat", who is the receptionist who answers the phone for the Limestone County Sheriff's office. Each time she said something like "I'll see if I can send you over to an investigator" and each time I spoke with someone else.

I guess Labate knows one of the "good ole boys" who was not one of the people I spoke with, and he keeps insisting that people should talk to him. You see, Labate does an a great job at "incomplete innuendo" and allowing people to draw the wrong conclusions.

Take the images I posted about his fake Fischer eBay listing. Did he ever explain why he took my name off of the auction?

Answer = "No."

The reason: Because the Sheriff did visit him and advised him of my call, since sending out emails as he has done is currently a Misdemeanor Harassment charge, which I elected not to file if he complied.

Well, what do you know, Labate actually took my name off, and no charges were filed.

You see, I was being nice about it, he complied, so what was the point?

He still has not answered the simple question, so I'll ask it again here:

Why did you remove my name from your listing if you weren't visited by the Sheriff?

Labate is lying about this, which he claims is his "pillar of proof", yet it is so simple to disprove.

The other stuff on his page is so ridiculous it does not even need comment.

So Labate knew where the boxes were shipped from? How did he know that? And how did he know how much they weighed?

Ohhhhhhhhh so he knows because he actually printed them!

So all the rest of what he said was just a smoke screen to blame you?

I get it now, he's the one that's lying. Damn! So what are you going to do about it?
GothicInventor
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 10:37 AM

Inventor of Gothic Chess

Labate just doesn't make any sense at all if you think about it.

He claims I was lying to him in all of these emails I supposedly wrote, yet he was still bidding hard for this book with the eBay auction was still going on in Canada.

My question is: Why?

Another thing that is pretty obvious is that I had absolutely nothing to do with the Canadian eBay auction. That was run by a Canadian citizen, a woman no less, and Labate is trying to say I was behind this also.

And what about Larry Evans' investigative reporting efforts. Did he not say he believed Fischer was behind it because of some of the curious facts he discovered? Like Fischer asking him some probing question that only Evans knew the answer to, and once Evans confirmed with the correct answer, Fischer replied with some cryptic message that only meant something to Evans (about their being friends), then Fischer dies.

Sounds to me like a deathbed act of penitence.

Labate is a psychopath. He is a bibliofile also. He would slander the whole world to get his hands on that book, because that's all he cares about, books about chess, the rarer the better.

Believe who you want, I think Labate has a mental illness of some sort.
BloodOfBulls
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 11:41 AM

Gothic Chess Enthusiast

Member No.: 58

I've been following some of these tales from the internet for months now. Seems odd you ask me.

Fischer writing a book before he died? Not likely.

But the things I see Ed write look more true than what Labate writes. Just my opinion.
ChessV
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 01:05 PM

Gothic Chess Enthusiast

QUOTE (BloodOfBulls @ Apr 1 2008, 11:41 AM)
I've been following some of these tales from the internet for months now. Seems odd you ask me.

Fischer writing a book before he died? Not likely.

But the things I see Ed write look more true than what Labate writes. Just my opinion.

They are both named Ed by the way smile.gif
BloodOfBulls
Posted: Apr 1 2008, 04:00 PM

Gothic Chess Enthusiast

I just emailed my 12 chess friends and asked them if they heard of Ed Labate. One of them said they bought something from him from an eBay awction. They wanted to send it back to him because they didn't like something about the book and he begged like a wailing woman for them not to complain to eBay. Eventually Labate sent him another book in better condition.

He said Labate seemed obsessed and would 'do anything' to make him happy with his sale. But he also said Labate just wouldn't leave him alone for a while, asking him every day if he was happy about his book purchase.

He said Labate was acting like he sold him one of his children, and he described him as 'creepy.'
ChessV
Posted: Apr 2 2008, 10:03 AM

Gothic Chess Enthusiast

Well Trice you're not out of the woods yet. I'd like to hear your explanation of why "New In Chess" issue 28 claims you never met Fischer. The President of Icelandic Chess Federation says you came over there and got sick and didn't meet Bobby.

So what do you say to that?
GothicInventor
Posted: Apr 2 2008, 12:44 PM

Inventor of Gothic Chess

QUOTE (ChessV @ Apr 2 2008, 10:03 AM)
Well Trice you're not out of the woods yet. I'd like to hear your explanation of why "New In Chess" issue 28 claims you never met Fischer. The President of Icelandic Chess Federation says you came over there and got sick and didn't meet Bobby.

A perfectly valid question.

I was sent a .jpg of the article from someone, whoever that was, thanks.

Don't start reading just where it mentions me as the "inventor of this Gothic chess", go back earlier. You will see that the author of these words is, in fact, the former President of the Icelandic Chess Federation, Fridrik Olafsson. I'm just letting you know that Labate didn't do enough research, he just jumped to the conclusion that the author was someone other than I even met, namely, the current president of their federation.

OK, that's item #1.

Item #2 - Yes, I did actually get ill at the tail end of my first visit to Iceland. This in no way deterred me from the task at hand!

As you can gather from the New In Chess article, Fridrik was spending a lot of time and getting nowhere, so he eventually deferred later involvement to Gardar Sverinsson (I may be spelling that incorrectly). That is, after my first visit, I never dealt with Fridrik Olafsson.

I did deal more with Lothar Schmid, inventor of the Schmid-Benoni and the arbiter for all of Fischer's other grand matches ('72 and '92).

Eventually, after a second visit, and, finally, a third trip, I was able to meet the very cagey Fischer, only for 5 minutes, probably even less, and the circumstances were very unusual.

A gaggle of his "20 somethings" were at all entrance points to the Borg Hotel. I was checked for cameras/tape recorders. Even after having been escorted to the lobby, I was checked again. I was directed to enter an area and walk all the way forward, with my back to most of the room. Fischer lumbered up behind me after I sat there for 15 minutes staring at the walls.

He avoided eye contact with the exception of darting glances, and he was not ina good mood. He did not want to be there, and he showed it.
BloodOfBulls
Posted: Apr 2 2008, 03:16 PM

Gothic Chess Enthusiast

QUOTE (ChessV @ Apr 2 2008, 10:03 AM)

This Ed Labate person is a cracked egg, as we say here.

Surrounded by chess books, never interacting with people, treats books like they are living people, talk about seriously mentally ill!

I bet Ed Labate sits around and shouts at the walls.

I wonder why he doesn't come here? Does he know about this site?
Chief Admin
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 03:57 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (BloodOfBulls @ Apr 2 2008, 08:16 PM)
I wonder why he doesn't come here? Does he know about this site?

The only person that Ed asked me to ban this year was that GrimRepa person who was a real jerk. That ID was banned and so was the i.p. address of that person.

I approved Labate's account here for posting. If he has not come on yet, there's a good chance he was the GrimRepa ID.

Both jerks, same person, I'd say it was Ed Labate.
BloodOfBulls
Posted: Apr 15 2008, 09:23 PM

Gothic Chess Enthusiast

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXX]

Comment edited by Admin.
ChessV
Posted: Apr 16 2008, 10:39 PM

Gothic Chess Enthusiast

QUOTE (BloodOfBulls @ Apr 15 2008, 09:23 PM)
[XXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
Comment edited by Admin.

I don't think this comment should remain on the board. It's a groundless claim and wildly speculative. Even if it was true, who cares? This discussion is supposed to be about the feud between Labate and Trice and nothing else.
H.G.Muller
Posted: Apr 17 2008, 02:45 AM

Gothic Chess Master

Member No.: 175

I second that. This is just mud slinging, as it has zero relevance for the topic under discussion. This forum is not meant as a platform for expressing our personal disgust for gays, blacks, jews, muslims or other large fractions of the population... sad.gif

Furthermore, I am a bit surprised that words like 'homosexual' and 'gay' are allowed here, if it is considered undesirable that I call fMax by its true name out of fear for attracting the wrong kind of search hits. blink.gif Of course on a site where 'Queen' and 'mating' are common words, one has to be extra careful. biggrin.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Gothic Chess Chatter | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3876 seconds | Archive