Welcome to Dozensonline. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, and sending personal messages. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. (You will be asked to confirm your email address before we sign you on.)
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Forum Rules RULES~ "Getting to Know You..."

You can introduce yourself here, if you so wish, and talk a little bit about who you are, how you came by this site, what your interest and background in number bases and measuring systems is, and so forth. Members should try to make newcomers feel welcome. So yep, no flaming, no SPAM, no trolling, and no banned materials.

Good Morning, New man here
Einmaleins
Posted: Feb 13 2018, 07:08 AM

Newcomer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,365

Hallo and Good Morning!
I am Hans-Rudolf, from Germany, and I am looking into dozenal. i have been visiting for some time as 'Guest'.
My nickname is "Einmaleins", which for those here who do not understand German, is translated in English as "Times Table". I have some ideas which i shall present later.
Shaun
Posted: Feb 13 2018, 10:34 AM

Dozens Disciple

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

And good morning and welcome to you!

I look forward to reading any ideas you can suggest for suitable dozenal counting words in German.
Kodegadulo
Posted: Feb 13 2018, 10:50 AM

Obsessive poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 606

Hmmm, I suppose if there can be languages whose word for "character-list" is just the first entries in it -- alpha-beta ... 'a-b-ja-d --- then it's fair to say that there could be a language whose word for "multiplication table" is just the first entry in that -- "one-times-one".

Willkommen im Forum, Hans-Rudolf! smile.gif
Einmaleins
Posted: Feb 13 2018, 01:50 PM

Newcomer

QUOTE (Shaun @ Feb 13 2018, 10:34 AM)
I look forward to reading any ideas you can suggest for suitable dozenal counting words in German.

Yes, I think it is an important topic. I have looked at that old Teliosadik post and realised no-one has really delved into this.
Einmaleins
Posted: Feb 13 2018, 01:54 PM

Newcomer

QUOTE (Kodegadulo @ Feb 13 2018, 10:50 AM)

Willkommen im Forum, Hans-Rudolph! :)

Thank you; and it is Hans-Rudolf with f not ph.

I have also looked at your many linguistic contributions and creations; almost your own thesaurus! Many hours of work.
Kodegadulo
Posted: Feb 13 2018, 05:53 PM

Obsessive poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 606

QUOTE (Einmaleins @ Feb 13 2018, 01:54 PM)

Willkommen im Forum, Hans-Rudolph! smile.gif

Thank you; and it is Hans-Rudolf with f not ph.

Apologies, corrected it.

Amazing what tricks the mind will play when one is trying to type on a narrow cell-phone screen, and a name one has read only moments before has scrolled out of sight. And it's an apt demonstration why it's best to leave the translation of an idea to a native speaker of the target language -- it's hard to escape the habits and patterns of one's own language.

No one here has tried to tackle "Dozenal Deutsche" because we just are not native speakers. But we'd encourage you to try.

icarus
Posted: Feb 13 2018, 11:13 PM

Dozens Demigod

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Welcome Hans-Rudolf!
Double sharp
Posted: Feb 14 2018, 04:08 AM

Dozens Disciple

Member No.: 1,150

Hmmm, I suppose if there can be languages whose word for "character-list" is just the first entries in it -- alpha-beta ... 'a-b-ja-d --- then it's fair to say that there could be a language whose word for "multiplication table" is just the first entry in that -- "one-times-one".

Willkommen im Forum, Hans-Rudolf! smile.gif

And similarly, the traditional Chinese name for the multiplication table is the "nine-nine" table.

Likewise, welcome, Hans-Rudolf! happy.gif
Einmaleins
Posted: Feb 14 2018, 06:48 AM

Newcomer

QUOTE (Kodegadulo @ Feb 13 2018, 05:53 PM)
it's hard to escape the habits and patterns of one's own language.

English has so many little quirks - with names and 'ph' you have Ralph and Rolf, for example. Why should the ph not change to f? Language usage is fascinating.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Ruthe
Posted: Feb 18 2018, 12:27 AM

Regular

Member No.: 47

Willkommen Hans-Rudolf, wo kommen Sie in Deutschland?
Ich bin Englšnder, aber lebte in Hamburg seit 5 Jahren als Kind.

Thats the last time I'll try my meager repetoire of German.
Einmaleins
Posted: Feb 24 2018, 11:54 AM

Newcomer

Thank you Ruthe.
I donot know Hamburg. I am originally from Vienna, but now travel around working in the south of Germany.
Ruthe
Posted: Feb 24 2018, 09:51 PM

Regular

Member No.: 47

Einmaleins, what is you business. It would be interesting to see if that has any reason for you becoming interested in base 12. I also know there was a large following in Bavaria for weights and measures based on twelve, a rod of 6 feet, a foot of 12 inces, an inch of 12 lines and a line of 12 points.
« Next Oldest | Getting to Know you... | Next Newest »

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0254 seconds · Archive