Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Dozensonline. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, and sending personal messages. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. (You will be asked to confirm your email address before we sign you on.)
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Keyboard Layout And Font, to type uncial easily
DavidKennedy
Posted: Nov 18 2016, 12:12 PM

Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,240

In the DozensOnline forum, when typing a post, the following fonts are available from the code buttons:

"Arial
Times
Courier
Impact
Geneva
Optima"

I am wondering whether it would be possible to extend this list to include a special font modified to contain uncial characters, which would allow them to be typed and displayed on the forum. It would be convenient if the poster could attach such a font to the post or embed the characters used so that they would display on the website and anyone could read them even if they do not have the font downloaded and installed.

I have been investigating making the font easy to type in all applications by editing the keyboard layout or shortcuts to particular Unicode numbers, using the scheme that I described at Sep 30 2016, 10:05 PM and Posted: Oct 1 2016, 01:47 PM.

The keyboard shortcuts can be created using the software Clavier at the Clavier homepage. Other keyboard layout editors could be used for other operating systems. In Clavier, the following list of shortcuts can be created for use with the modified font I have planned:

[Columns are: Keystroke, Unicode glyph to be displayed, Numlock condition]
"GRAVE Text ⓪ +N
1 Text ① +N
2 Text ② +N
3 Text ③ +N
4 Text ④ +N
5 Text ⑤ +N
6 Text ⑥ +N
7 Text ⑦ +N
8 Text ⑧ +N
9 Text ⑨ +N
0 Text ⑩ +N
- Text ⑪ +N
Shift + - Text = +N
= Text − +N "

Then, the modes for uncial characters or decimal can be switched simply by activating or deactivating the Numlock key.
DavidKennedy
Posted: Nov 19 2016, 07:31 PM

Regular

The keyboard layout, whose picture I made using KB Layout Editor V2, based on an
QUOTE (Wikipedia)
ANSI Keyboard Layout used primarily in the United States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout
would be like this picture when Numlock is operating:
user posted image

The layout adapted from an "ISO mechanical layout" would be similar. The circled numbers represent your favourite separate identity uncial numerals.

Some of you may have noticed my avoidance on this website of depicting numbers in base twelve using the decimal digits. This is because I have not been able to type the separate numerals here so far.
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 4 2017, 08:57 PM

Regular

To change in the Dozens Online website forum the display of circled numbers or enclosed alphanumerics:
  • Put the separate identity numerals into the Unicode encoding slots for the enclosed alphanumerics of a font.
  • Install the font.
  • Open your internet browser.

Firefox:
    [Menu bar:] Tools -> [drop down list:] Options -> Content Fonts & Colours -> Advanced -> [Fonts dialogue box:]
    Fonts for: -> Latin
    Proportional: Sans Serif
    Sans Serif: [Select the name of the font containing the separate identity numerals]

Whether to select Serif or Sans Serif may depend on the font that was used to type the post in the forum.

Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 8:
    [Menu bar:] View -> [dropdown list] Encoding -> [Select from options]
    [Menu bar:] Tools -> [dropdown list:] Internet Options -> [dialogue box, select menu tab:] General -> Appearance
    -> Accessibility -> Formatting -> [Check box:] Ignore font styles specified on webpages.
    -> Fonts -> Language Script -> Latin based
    -> Webpage font -> [Select from options]
    -> Plain text font -> [Select from options]

Some text characters may need to be put into Latin encoding slots in order for the font to appear as an option in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
In principle, the same procedure could be used for other glyphs that have not been displaying correctly.
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 4 2017, 09:14 PM

Regular

[Font upload test]
Use this font as a template.

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 273 )
Attached File  DKenclosedNumericsTest.otf (5.46 kb)
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 4 2017, 09:23 PM

Regular

The GPL licence applies to the Libertine font characters contained in the font.

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 12 )
Attached File  GPL.txt (18.18 kb)
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 4 2017, 09:37 PM

Regular

The OFL applies to the Libertine characters in the font.

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 9 )
Attached File  OFL_1.1.txt (4.45 kb)
Double sharp
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 04:33 AM

Dozens Disciple

Member No.: 1,150

Do we really have enough control over the forum to embed new fonts via CSS? Even if we can do it, they might be blocked by browser security settings.

How is one separate font going to work? You might like your own separate-identity numerals, but there are also some posters here (e.g. Kode and I) who find separate-identity numerals needlessly confusing and who would rather keep the standard numerals for 0-9. So it seems that we would all have to create our own fonts with different dozenal numerals in different places.

Probably the best codepoints for digit-10 and digit-11 (for those who don't want to redo 0-9) are U+218A and U+218B, because those are meant for the Pitman transdecimals. I might be naughty (if I figure out how to make a font) and use the Argam reversed-7 for U+218B instead, and also naughtily assign the hexadecimal Argam to U+218C through U+218F. But, I tend to play around in bases past hexadecimal too, and these characters get hard to type, and they don't degrade gracefully if you don't have the font (you'd just see blank squares or nothing).

If we do have enough forum control, we could keep typing 0-9 and a-z for transdecimals up to base 36, but offer (perhaps in our signatures) a link to a font that you can download that displays our desired digits instead of those characters. Yours could then replace the 0-9 and a-b slots, while I could use Icarus' which replaces the a-z slots (and also A-Z, and some of Greek and Cyrillic to get to base 120).

But I'm pretty sure we actually don't.
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 12:17 PM

Regular

Test: ⓪①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪.

QUOTE (Double sharp @ Feb 5 2017, 04:33 AM)
Do we really have enough control over the forum to embed new fonts via CSS?

If you can see the thorn and open e instead of circled numbers in the sample above, then I do.
Double sharp
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 12:23 PM

Dozens Disciple

I still only see circled numbers, although the rest of the thread renders in what appears to be Times New Roman. (Not all of it, though: only the contents of our posts. When replying, only your most recent post appears in Times New Roman/)
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 12:31 PM

Regular

What browser are you using? It displays correctly for me in Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer.
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 12:45 PM

Regular

Apparently, Internet Explorer does not support CSS font embedding until version 9.
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 01:20 PM

Regular

[Another test:]
Double sharp
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 01:50 PM

Dozens Disciple

QUOTE (DavidKennedy @ Feb 5 2017, 01:20 PM)
[Another test:]

This one works for me even on IE9! But I seem to get a random blank square appearing at the front of my post...
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 01:57 PM

Regular

I now have it working in Microsoft Internet Explorer version eight too, by unchecking the box "Ignore font styles specified on webpages", but perhaps the viewer has to have the font installed like me. Double sharp, did you need to install the font to make it work? Weirdly, the first test has changed the appearance of the circled numbers in the original post on the same topic and this later post too, but has not affected the same characters under other topics on the Dozens Online website. If this affects the appearance of characters in earlier and future posts for others, this may be rather dangerous information, and I shall have to keep the method secret. Would someone put a circled numeral or two, say Unicode 24EA 2460 (⓪①) into a post in this topic so I can see whether that would be affected?
Double sharp
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 02:12 PM

Dozens Disciple

No, I didn't need to install the fonts. However, it seems to propagate past a single post and change the appearance of earlier and future ones in the whole thread (I imagine it wouldn't have an effect if the thread went to the next page).

Here are some circled numerals, going up from zero to twenty (so that some of them should not be affected by the font): ⓪ ① ② ③ ④ ⑤ ⑥ ⑦ ⑧ ⑨ ⑩ ⑪ ⑫ ⑬ ⑭ ⑮ ⑯ ⑰ ⑱ ⑲ ⑳. They indeed seem to be affected. I can't seem to stop the blank squares from showing up at line breaks in all the posts in this thread, though.
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 02:24 PM

Regular

QUOTE (Double sharp @ Feb 5 2017, 02:12 PM)
No, I didn't need to install the fonts. However, it seems to propagate past a single post and change the appearance of earlier and future ones in the whole thread (I imagine it wouldn't have an effect if the thread went to the next page).

Here are some circled numerals, going up from zero to twenty (so that some of them should not be affected by the font): ⓪ ① ② ③ ④ ⑤ ⑥ ⑦ ⑧ ⑨ ⑩ ⑪ ⑫ ⑬ ⑭ ⑮ ⑯ ⑰ ⑱ ⑲ ⑳. They indeed seem to be affected. I can't seem to stop the blank squares from showing up at line breaks in all the posts in this thread, though.

It's official: the appearances to me of the circled numerals in your post have been modified to the font too. But they are still circled when composing posts and quoting.

Double sharp
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 03:17 PM

Dozens Disciple

Yes, and all the newlines are showing up as blank squares in addition to starting a new line, which is distracting.

I indeed also see circled numerals when composing and quoting text (and even in your quote of mine in your previous post).

By the way, circled numerals up to 50 exist in Unicode: ⓪ ① ② ③ ④ ⑤ ⑥ ⑦ ⑧ ⑨ ⑩ ⑪ ⑫ ⑬ ⑭ ⑮ ⑯ ⑰ ⑱ ⑲ ⑳ ㉑ ㉒ ㉓ ㉔ ㉕ ㉖ ㉗ ㉘ ㉙ ㉚ ㉛ ㉜ ㉝ ㉞ ㉟ ㊱ ㊲ ㊳ ㊴ ㊵ ㊶ ㊷ ㊸ ㊹ ㊺ ㊻ ㊼ ㊽ ㊾ ㊿. That would make it possible to use very high bases with a font that assigns the Argam (or some other such numeral set) to those codepoints - although given the side effects of this solution, it might not be advisable to do this.
DavidKennedy
Posted: Feb 5 2017, 05:19 PM

Regular

QUOTE (Double sharp @ Feb 5 2017, 01:50 PM)
But I seem to get a random blank square appearing at the front of my post

QUOTE (Double sharp @ Feb 5 2017, 02:12 PM)
I can't seem to stop the blank squares from showing up at line breaks in all the posts in this thread, though.

QUOTE (Double sharp @ Feb 5 2017, 03:17 PM)
Yes, and all the newlines are showing up as blank squares in addition to starting a new line, which is distracting.

I haven't seen any of those blank squares. I think the line break control character in Unicode is 0013, so if something such as white space be put there in the font it might solve the problem.

QUOTE (Double sharp @ Feb 5 2017, 12:23 PM)
the rest of the thread renders in what appears to be Times New Roman. (Not all of it, though: only the contents of our posts. When replying, only your most recent post appears in Times New Roman/)

I see a mixture of font sizes between posts. Mine at 12:17 PM and 02:24 PM, and yours at 01:50 PM, appear smaller when composing this post. However, they all look Sans-Serif to me. Did you change any of your browser settings between 12:23 PM and 01:50 PM to make it work, or was it all on my end? Did you notice whether the second test worked while simultaneously the first one was not working, or did the second one cause the first one to work?

By the way, circled numerals up to 50 exist in Unicode: ⓪ ① ② ③ ④ ⑤ ⑥ ⑦ ⑧ ⑨ ⑩ ⑪ ⑫ ⑬ ⑭ ⑮ ⑯ ⑰ ⑱ ⑲ ⑳ ㉑ ㉒ ㉓ ㉔ ㉕ ㉖ ㉗ ㉘ ㉙ ㉚ ㉛ ㉜ ㉝ ㉞ ㉟ ㊱ ㊲ ㊳ ㊴ ㊵ ㊶ ㊷ ㊸ ㊹ ㊺ ㊻ ㊼ ㊽ ㊾ ㊿.

These circled numerals appear by two different fonts to me, but that would be only cosmetic if a separate identity script replaces them. Yes, I can imagine Unicode wars, where I embedded my flag into an outcrop of crateriform territory, and others, perhaps wanting to use Argam, will try to conquer a larger continent.

I indeed also see circled numerals when composing and quoting text (and even in your quote of mine in your previous post).

I only see reappearance of circles when they were not in the tests and I quote them or view them when composing a post, whereas those I typed in the tests still appear modified to the font, even when you quote them.
Double sharp
Posted: Feb 6 2017, 02:49 AM

Dozens Disciple

I didn't change anything on my end. Initially the first test didn't work, so it must have been the second test that caused the first test to work. I also don't see a change of font: they all look serifed, kind of like Times New Roman.

Indeed the circled numerals outside the tests are now appearing circled to me when I quote them or compose text; it's only the ones in the tests that don't change and still remain modified to the font.
Kodegadulo
Posted: Dec 24 2017, 05:57 PM

Obsessive poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 606

These sorts of dangerously invasive CSS techniques ought to be banned, not held up as some sort of superior solution to encoding transdecimal bases. Well, we'll see what happens to this stuff after this forum goes to Tapatalk
Double sharp
Posted: Dec 25 2017, 10:21 AM

Dozens Disciple

QUOTE (Kodegadulo @ Dec 24 2017, 05:57 PM)
These sorts of dangerously invasive CSS techniques ought to be banned, not held up as some sort of superior solution to encoding transdecimal bases. Well, we'll see what happens to this stuff after this forum goes to Tapatalk

It doesn't work on Tapatalk, as DK has himself noted.
« Next Oldest | Applications and appliances | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0274 seconds · Archive