InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Castle World. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Ulmar's Saga, The new, the better and manlier story!
The Hordesman
Posted: Jan 24 2010, 04:07 AM

In FBTB Realm

Group: Balladeer on Quest
Member No.: 8

The old thread got bloated and full of old stuff so I'm making a new one.

This project has been in the works since the dawn of time, with the time spent probably being dangerously close to the infamous Duke Nukem Forever.

Originally, the story was supposed to be a humorous tale about a paladin as he runs into fantasy clichés and solves them in anti-climatic ways. However, later having thought out the main plot more, it took a more serious turn (the one mentioned in the eariler thread) and instead became a story focused on a lord and his men as they travel throughout the world and encounter both serious and humorous occurences.

However, the current build is far more serious than the earlier ones (a reason to the name change), and the clichéed fantasy world has been changed into a world that closer resembles mythology and folklore, giving fantastic creatures limited appearance and focusing more on war between men.
The world map closely resembles our own, with nations ranging from the bronze ages to the reinassance in technology, though being balanced in one way or another to not be completely outdated.

Humor isn't cut out, but not abundant. The story will follow a red string very loosely with good vs evil being very vaguely defined, and the hero is, and will remain, an ancient old man rather than generic farmboy #2637.

Done when?
When it's done.

--------------------
Herpus es Derpus
-Family motto
Quill Master
Posted: Jan 24 2010, 07:22 AM

Quilly the White
Group Icon

Group: Old Archivists Society
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (The Hordesman @ Jan 24 2010, 05:07 PM)
and the hero is, and will remain, an ancient old man rather than generic farmboy #2637.

Done when?
When it's done.

THIS is very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing this in action - I can't remember seeing a movie/book with this before. robin.gif

--------------------
Maedhros
Posted: Jan 24 2010, 10:45 AM

Wielder of the Stick-Thingy
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Quill Master @ Jan 24 2010, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (The Hordesman @ Jan 24 2010, 05:07 PM)
and the hero is, and will remain, an ancient old man rather than generic farmboy #2637.

Done when?
When it's done.

THIS is very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing this in action - I can't remember seeing a movie/book with this before. robin.gif

Still haven't read your Silmarillion I see wink.gif

(That said I find the concept interesting too - kör hårt!)

--------------------
"All disasters stem from us. Why is there war? Perhaps because now and then I might be inclined to snap at my neighbour. Because I and my neighbour and everyone else do not have enough love. Yet we could fight war and all its excrescences by releasing, each day, the love that is shackled inside us, and giving it a chance to live."

- Etty Hillesum
Quill Master
Posted: Jan 27 2010, 07:42 AM

Quilly the White
Group Icon

QUOTE (Maedhros @ Jan 24 2010, 11:45 PM)
Still haven't read your Silmarillion I see wink.gif

(That said I find the concept interesting too - kör hårt!)

Blast! Caught again! ninja.gif

It's true - I almost bought the audio book, but I thought that might not be doing it justice, so I held off.

I did buy one book recently - Tales From the Perilous Realm

Have you heard of it? It was only 3 dollars from the guy on the street, so I snatched it right away. cool.gif

Argh... off-topic... I am looking forward to this, I must say. It's got my writing itch going again too!

--------------------
Maedhros
Posted: Jan 27 2010, 08:52 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Quill Master @ Jan 27 2010, 12:42 PM)
I did buy one book recently - Tales From the Perilous Realm

Have you heard of it?

I do, a compilation of some quite neat things, "Smith of Wootton Major" is particularly interesting I think.

--------------------
"All disasters stem from us. Why is there war? Perhaps because now and then I might be inclined to snap at my neighbour. Because I and my neighbour and everyone else do not have enough love. Yet we could fight war and all its excrescences by releasing, each day, the love that is shackled inside us, and giving it a chance to live."

- Etty Hillesum
The Hordesman
Posted: Apr 27 2010, 02:39 PM

In FBTB Realm

The names for countries and factions have been changed back and forth, and some months ago I finally settled for the final approach to this; I will give all nations their real world counterpart, but in their own language from old days. For example:

Kingdom of Venice: Serenissima
Wales: Cymru
England: Albion
Scotland: Alba
France: Francia

Ancient Greece is known as Achaea, since the other names could be confused with other peoples and some would not work well in english.
Some nations are completely fictional, such as Anth and the small country between Albion and Alba called Scoveland.

The main difference in this world in comparison to ours is that no culture ever dies out, there are little to no religiously fueled conflicts as the world is unified under an enormous pantheon, though the gods do at time drive men to war on their own account. Mythological beasts also live here, although not a common sight. Monotheism is seen as evil as it denies the other gods, and the only monotheistic god to have existed, Aten, wasn't the nicest fellow ever.

The history behind the gods and demons will be revealed as the story develops. Be sure though, they won't intervene much- they got better things to do, like womanizing and drinking.

Progress: Need more BURPs!

--------------------
Herpus es Derpus
-Family motto
Maedhros
Posted: Apr 28 2010, 03:19 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (The Hordesman @ Apr 27 2010, 07:39 PM)

Hehe, that's something you hear quite seldom.

I must say I'm most interested in the "Serenissima" faction - will we see any winged lions? wink.gif (and an anal comment from the resident linguist: Venetian doesn't double consonants the way Italian does so Serenisima would be better)

--------------------

- Etty Hillesum
TheOrk
Posted: May 2 2010, 12:40 AM

USURPER
Group Icon

Group: Wise Wurms Guild
Member No.: 20

I love BURPS, they make my brick collection seem much larger than it really is. orc9.gif

(and an anal comment from the resident linguist: Venetian doesn't double consonants the way Italian does so Serenisima would be better)

As a hardcore fantasy world builder, I dream often of possessing such hardcore linguistic skills.

--------------------
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows.

-George Orwell

Quill Master
Posted: May 4 2010, 10:05 AM

Quilly the White
Group Icon

QUOTE (Maedhros @ Apr 28 2010, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (The Hordesman @ Apr 27 2010, 07:39 PM)

Agreed! blink.gif

It has me very curious, I must admit~

I love your factions and especially the idea that cultures don't seem to die out... that makes for a lot of diversity! What happens when one country takes over another?

Sounds very interesting!

--------------------
The Hordesman
Posted: Jan 25 2011, 03:17 AM

In FBTB Realm

Progress time!

Changes have been made since last time, such as having Anth scrapped for Thule (Anth now being the name of a region within Thule), amongst other things. The story is further improved, and things are getting closer to completion, though one problem remains.

Dust. Yes, dust. It seems to cover everything within seconds and there is little I can do about it for now. When I find a conclusion, I will start building.

--------------------
Herpus es Derpus
-Family motto
The Hordesman
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 01:04 PM

In FBTB Realm

This project has been in the work for what, 5 years now? I am still working on it, but other things keep getting in the way.

The good news is that due to amount of time I have spent preparing this project, the story has gotten increasingly better, so much so that I am considering making it follow multiple plotlines that sort of connect to eachother.

The first, as might have been expecting, follows Ulmar, the marshal of the royal army and his exploits, and mainly deals with themes of loyalty versus free thought. Ulmar serves king Ostrod of Thule, who was born sick and as a result can neither fight his own wars nor make many decisions, leaving the country in control of greedy noblemen.

The second follows the legendary Starkhandr, a viking warrior known for his recklessness and fighting prowess wielding the axe Agnir. During a raid in northern England, his warband joins together with refugees from the wartorn land, and he befriends a young widow through her persistent curiosity. This story touches on mainly religious freedoms versus restrictions (such as pagan versus Abrahamic views), as well as platonic love.

As you might have noticed, the main theme of the whole project is the concept of freedom and how we intentionally try to avoid it out of convenience.

Other stories will cover other parts of the world and will be dealt with as the story progresses. I can't say much at this point (as these two are priority) but I will say that one will cover Italy (styled after the late period, focusing on Milan) as well as the war between the Russian peoples and the Mongols.

This version will be definite, I will just have to find time and space to work on it. I am currently working on finishing a book I have been writing since early 2010.

--------------------
Herpus es Derpus
-Family motto
Quill Master
Posted: May 17 2012, 06:50 AM

Quilly the White
Group Icon

As you might have noticed, the main theme of the whole project is the concept of freedom and how we intentionally try to avoid it out of convenience.

This part sounds very interesting! I know (and have seen) this true in basically every society I've lived in, although to varied degrees of course. Sounds like a really cool thing to write about via ABS bricks spear.gif

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Majisto's Library (An Active Log of your Story) | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2483 seconds | Archive