InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Castle World. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Grandfather's Tale, A Castle-themed Epic experiment
Formendacil
Posted: Feb 26 2011, 12:13 PM

Minstrel

Group: Balladeers
Member No.: 346

QUOTE (Quill Master @ Feb 25 2011, 08:12 PM)
How is it going so far for you?

Well, work on Chapter X hasn't got particularly far yet, between school starting again and getting a cold this week. I'm also not entirely sure where I want to take things now, since I think this is a point in the story where the long-term arc of the plot is going to be affected, and I'm not sure how that's going to go.

--------------------
FaŽrie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. And overbold I may be accounted, for though I have been a lover of fairy-stories since I learned to read, and have at times thought about them, I have not studied them professionally. I have been hardly more than a wandering explorer (or trespasser) in the land, full of wonder but not of information.

~J.R.R. Tolkien, "On Fairy-Stories"
Formendacil
Posted: Apr 15 2011, 03:05 PM

Minstrel

Crossposting from Classic-Castle:

Chapter 10 is now online. It took a bit longer than planned to get out--thank you, grad school--but I've already started on Chapter 11, and I think the use of the new computer is smoother. Go easy on image five, though... it's kind of ugly (though that's the photographer's fault more than the computer's). As the folder is not moderated quite yet, here are the individual deeplinks:

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10

11 12 13

--------------------
FaŽrie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. And overbold I may be accounted, for though I have been a lover of fairy-stories since I learned to read, and have at times thought about them, I have not studied them professionally. I have been hardly more than a wandering explorer (or trespasser) in the land, full of wonder but not of information.

Quill Master
Posted: Apr 24 2011, 05:21 PM

Quilly the White
Group Icon

Group: Old Archivists Society
Member No.: 1

Sweetness! Downloading.... wink.gif

Strange, the forum never marked this post as new....!

--------------------
Formendacil
Posted: Jul 28 2011, 11:07 AM

Minstrel

Crossposting all the following from Classic-Castle:

It took me plenty long enough, but Chapter 11 is now online. I've had the pictures taken for ages--I took both the pictures for Chapters 11 and 12 before I finished the school year and went home for the summer, but it wasn't until last week that I finally got around to finishing it. Chapter 12 should follow in the next month, before I have to go back to the east coast, anyway. As the folder is not moderated quite yet, here are the individual deeplinks:

11 12 13 14

--------------------

Formendacil
Posted: Jan 9 2012, 03:09 PM

Minstrel

I can't believe it's taken me yet *another* half year to get Chapter 12 up, but it did. It's crazy, because I've had the pictures taken for ages--I took both the pictures for Chapters 11 and 12 back in APRIL, but it's been on the back-burner forever. Hopefully, Chapter 13 won't take nearly as long, but I'm terribly afraid of making any promises... As the folder is not moderated quite yet, here are the individual deeplinks:

11 12 13 14 15

--------------------

Formendacil
Posted: Jun 13 2012, 04:27 PM

Minstrel

Crossposting from Classic-Castle for the sake of completeness:

It continues to be slow going between chapters (grad school and wedding plans don't help), but Chapter 13 is up! No promises on upcoming chapters, but as I have the summer "off" (no school, wedding done), it will hopefully not be so long before the next chapter. As the folder is not moderated quite yet, here are the individual deeplinks:

--------------------

Quill Master
Posted: Jun 13 2012, 07:07 PM

Quilly the White
Group Icon

Nice use of the Guarded Inn! smile.gif I love the idea of a cross-point between worlds!

Also, poor Jayko! biggrin.gif

Looks like some very good build-up for what is coming next - turning Marcel from a footman to a hero - very interested to see how Trialrun ends up looking!

--------------------
Formendacil
Posted: Jun 14 2012, 04:54 PM

Minstrel

I'm glad to hear the Guarded Inn works as an inn between worlds. The image came to me while rebuilding the set last summer, before I was ever sure of what was going to happen to get Marcel from Point A Soldier to Point B Hero, and it just seemed right. The trick now is going to be coming up with an excuse to visit it again. ;-)

I'm also looking forward to Trialrun--which is a good thing, because the excitement means I'm more likely to get on with it sooner rather than later.

As for Jayko... well... I didn't name any names, but you picked up on the intended illusion all the same.

Now... to go read the final Black Scrolls chapters...

--------------------

Quill Master
Posted: Jun 15 2012, 11:23 AM

Quilly the White
Group Icon

I have to confess to being curious about trialrun... but that seems as though it might be difficult! Any ideas how you'll be doing this? Very curious! tongue.gif

Now... to go read the final Black Scrolls chapters...

Doh! Off to finish section 6! biggrin.gif

--------------------
TheOrk
Posted: Jun 15 2012, 07:52 PM

USURPER
Group Icon

Group: Wise Wurms Guild
Member No.: 20

I have finally gotten around to doing a complete reread of the story so far. So far so good! I like your approach of keeping the story relatively simple and letting the pictures tell it. My own efforts usually get bogged down by too much text and too much attention to minuscule, irrelevant details.

Bring on Trialrun! horn.gif

--------------------
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows.

-George Orwell

Quill Master
Posted: Jun 16 2012, 02:27 AM

Quilly the White
Group Icon

QUOTE (TheOrk @ Jun 16 2012, 08:52 AM)
I have finally gotten around to doing a complete reread of the story so far. So far so good! I like your approach of keeping the story relatively simple and letting the pictures tell it. My own efforts usually get bogged down by too much text and too much attention to minuscule, irrelevant details.

Agreed!!!

I always get lost in backstories and emotions and etc. These comics are really well done, and still easy to read. I have to confess that they have been my inspiration to make comics, and I've actually read the story several times now! relaxed.gif

--------------------
Formendacil
Posted: Jun 16 2012, 08:41 AM

Minstrel

QUOTE ("The Ork")

Bring on Trialrun! horn.gif

QUOTE ("Quill Master")
Agreed!!!

I always get lost in backstories and emotions and etc. These comics are really well done, and still easy to read. I have to confess that they have been my inspiration to make comics, and I've actually read the story several times now!

You know, I'm really glad to hear this--not least because my normal instinct is towards world-building. I adore backstories and histories and politics--and the oddest thing about Grandfather's Tale is that I started it without having any. (Well... maybe not *that* odd... after 15+ years of playing with Castle LEGO by the time I started this tale, I actually had a thoroughly developed history, etc.--but I knew that was *too* idiosyncratic, so I pretty much ditched everything and started Grandfather's Tale from Square One.)

Also--I find it somewhat hilarious that I'm succeeding with the brevity of my text, because I'm a wordy guy, as I'm sure you've noticed in my forum posts here and at Classic-Castle. I've also noticed, in my other comic that I tend towards wordiness. As a rule I have to work to keep things short, rather than make them long.

So... basically, I'm glad to hear that it's working, whatever it is I'm doing!

--------------------

Quill Master
Posted: Jun 16 2012, 06:46 PM

Quilly the White
Group Icon

So... basically, I'm glad to hear that it's working, whatever it is I'm doing!

Heh heh heh... me as well! orcdeb.gif

Although I have to say, I find the other comics hilarious. cool.gif Aquazone... oh... poor Aquazone. orcdeb.gif

--------------------
Formendacil
Posted: May 22 2013, 07:14 AM

Minstrel

Once again, it's a long gap between chapters and the new chapter is quite short-- but Chapter 14 is up all the same! I think the folder is moderated, but here are the individual deeplinks anyway:

01 02 03 04 05 06 07

[/end crosspost]

If I may use a Tolkien analogy, I am an Ent who is growing very treeish on the Internet--but I'm still around, even if it takes a lot to rouse me into movement.

--------------------

Formendacil
Posted: Nov 3 2013, 05:51 PM

Minstrel

Once again, it's a long gap between chapters and I can hardly tell you how much busier my life is now than it was when I last posted--but Chapter 15 is up all the same! The folder shouldn't be moderated yet, but here are the individual deeplinks anyway:

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11

--------------------

« Next Oldest | Ballads (Normal-Sized LEGO Stories) | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3196 seconds | Archive