This skin was created by Lightz of the IF Skin Zone.

Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to British Boxer Dogs. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Northern Rose Boxer Rescue News
Welcome to Northern Rose Boxer Rescue chat forum.
Why not take a look around, we have fun and games, photos of members gorgeous boxers as well as details of all dogs currently looking for homes at NRBR . . . .

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Seasons & Spaying, Approximate timing?
AmyBond
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 08:06 PM

Baby Boxer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,896

Hi all,

Does anyone know the average age for 1st season? Lexi is my 1st bitch & I'm not sure if I can do anything to help her or what symptoms she will get?

I've read so much about spaying, some sites say to spay in middle of cycle after 1st season & some say before the 1st season.. My vet said in the middle too. Is this the "norm"?

Thanks x
DANNI - NRBR
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 08:15 PM

NRBR CASES: 47

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,159

With every bitch I've ever had ive always waited till they had a season then got them done three months after I think it's about a year they come into season but could before hand
Wendy Lucy n Henrys mum
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 08:32 PM

NRBR CASES: 86

Group: Validating
Member No.: 219

Our Lucy was 9 month when she came in to season vet said in between which would have been 3 months after but she got a womb infection so think it was 3 weeks after season she was done
Brand N Stan
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 08:37 PM

NRBR CASES: 11

Member No.: 1,121

it differs from bitch to bitch, I think it is between 6-18months.
Some vets like to spay before their first season and some prefer to do 3 months after their first.
Bitches can get a bit narky when they are coming into and during their season, but some cannot react at all, just depends on the dog.
''headbang'':
mrsbrf
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 09:05 PM

BUM WIGGLER

Member No.: 562

Our vets have always recommended spaying after the first season, if you do it before it can lead to incontinence issues later in life. Our late Ruby had a split season - the start of it at 6 months. Sadie is 9 months and hasnt shown any signs yet. ''flowers''
mrsbrf
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 09:06 PM

BUM WIGGLER

Member No.: 562

QUOTE (mrsbrf @ Oct 26 2011, 10:05 PM)
Our vets have always recommended spaying after the first season, if you do it before it can lead to incontinence issues later in life. Our late Ruby had a split season - the start of it at 6 months. Sadie is 9 months and hasnt shown any signs yet. ''flowers''

Vets always said they would spay 3 months after season ''flowers''
Jackie64
Posted: Oct 27 2011, 09:00 AM

Just Whelped

Member No.: 1,946

Our bitch was spayed after her first season but became incontinent immediately and spent her life on propalin. I read on the Internet the other day that this was quite common when bitches are spayed at such a young age. Worth reading up on!
Hedgey
Posted: Oct 27 2011, 09:09 PM

NRBR CASES: 17

Member No.: 608

Cassie had her first season about 8/9 months old but got a phantom pregnancy and having being a first time dog owner I didn't know what to expect or what to really look for so it took me about 3 months to get her right and she was spayed at 14 months, she did get an infection after the spay but meds cleared that up and didn't have any after effects relating to the spay, luckily MaggieGif
roxington@hotmail.com
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 07:52 AM

Just Whelped

Member No.: 2,198

QUOTE (Jackie64 @ Oct 27 2011, 09:00 AM)
Our bitch was spayed after her first season but became incontinent immediately and spent her life on propalin. I read on the Internet the other day that this was quite common when bitches are spayed at such a young age. Worth reading up on!

My little girl, Roxie, had her first season at 11 months. It was really bad and she lost a lot of blood and was really miserable, so she ended up on iron tablets! The vet recommended spaying her, which we diid, but she became incontinent and ended up on incurin for the rest of her life.
xsuex
Posted: Dec 27 2011, 03:40 PM

Just Whelped

Member No.: 2,129

my vets do them at six months so mine both got done before they had a season, 'Confused...
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0615 seconds · Archive
ADMINISTRATORS -|- NRBR MODERATING TEAM -|- BOXER RESCUE -|- NRBR FOSTERERS -|- members -|-