Skin created by Hiya! of the IF Skin Zone.net

Border Collie World | Today's Active Topics

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Border Collie World. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )  New Topic New Poll

Pedigree dog's exposed @ 9pm tonight
LOU
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 04:44 PM

I LOVE BORDER COLLIES!
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Tuesday 19 August
9:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC1

An in-depth investigation into the health of pedigree dogs. The programme examines the level of inherited disease and other welfare concerns in man's best friend, featuring interviews with experts. It reveals the surprising historical factors that have contributed to problems in some breeds and explores what might be done to tackle these serious and debilitating health issues.

Whos watching??????
hauntedpaws
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 05:01 PM

Obedience Champion!
Group Icon

Group: BCW Addict
Member No.: 94

Copied from OBUK forum -

Have read in the Daily Mail today (yes SOMEONE does read it!) that in response to the programme that is being put out tonight by the BBC, the BBC is also in negotiations with the Kennel Club with a view to cease broadcasting Crufts. It would seem they (BBC) blame the KC in allowing standards which enable breeders to show 'freak' dogs. So if this comes off, there will be no way of showing obedience to the general public (not that we get much coverage now) and how will those of us who can't stay till the end see Mary Ray's performance for that year !!!!!

eek!!! nailbiting
BCobsessed
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 05:45 PM

Senior

Group: Members
Member No.: 192

Should be interesting and upsetting as i have just watched a bit of it with a boxer fitting.
Bought a lump in my throat & tears to my eyes.
I agree with the KC but there are parts of it that can be improved. They do a good job. I really hope it doesn't encourage people to buy from BYB offtopicsign
Freddie Barrie
  Posted: Aug 19 2008, 06:49 PM

Irrational, explosive, mad and fun and that's just The Dog

Member No.: 653

QUOTE (hauntedpaws @ Aug 19 2008, 05:01 PM)
Have read in the Daily Mail today

offtopicsign

How can u read that trash?!?! Do you beleive the crap it says and spreads about MCR and emo's? It's Dog S*** that's bin crushed and turned into a load of trash!
hauntedpaws
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 08:45 PM

Obedience Champion!
Group Icon

Group: BCW Addict
Member No.: 94

QUOTE (Freddie Barrie @ Aug 19 2008, 07:49 PM)
How can u read that trash?!?!

Whoa , take a chill pill louseyputer - I did say I'd COPIED it from another forum!! Not my quote! *nerner*
Freddie Barrie
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 08:52 PM

Irrational, explosive, mad and fun and that's just The Dog

Member No.: 653

imsorry

whoops srry.... I hav a thing against the Daily Mail!

And I'm going to watch it on iplayer...
vicky12
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 09:01 PM

Graduate

Member No.: 598

Well what can you say but.....DISGRACEFUL.

There was some really shocking stuff on there.
LOU
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 09:02 PM

I LOVE BORDER COLLIES!
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

Hmm well that was very interesting, why are those cav breeders breeding from un healthy cavs??

grrrrr!!!!

i will post more later when i have thought about the whole thing!!!
BCobsessed
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 09:11 PM

Senior

I am utterly disgraced with the culling of non ridged, ridge back dogs. I mean WTF
*wack*

And breeding with that Cavvie who won the best in breed which has that genetical disorder.
Shocking!!!
I'm disgusted. I don't blame the KC but they do need to get rid of older generation who support inbreeding offtopicsign
I've had problems with one of mine because of too much inbreeding. Its painful to see .
offtopicsign
Barking Mad Divas
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 09:12 PM

Graduate

Member No.: 665

Seen it and thought the program was spot on! (thank goodness not all breeders are as %%^$%& as those cavvie and ridgeback breeders that were shown in the program!)

I wonder what the effects of the program will be!
BCobsessed
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 09:18 PM

Senior

I just hope it doesn't encourage people to buy form back yard breeders.
Its a shame for the reputable breeders. I just hope people don't tar them with the same brush.
I can see a few cavalier breeders receiving a few angry calls tomorrow.
Nice to see no BC on there though. nailbiting
agilitylover
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 09:21 PM

Senior

Member No.: 272

Hhmmp, I didn't watch it, but coming from a showing and breeding background I think it's unfair to blame the KC (although granted yes, they could do more to stop it).

I can't speak for all breeds and I highly doubt my breed was mentioned (samoyeds) but the sickos who inbreed and do the kind of thing highlighted in the program ARE a tiny, tiny minority and most responsible breeders have nothing to do with them whatsoever. But saying that, I don't agree with the standards GSDs are at, I think it's disgusting how they're bred to have such a low back. I actually bought the Daily Mail today (though I can't stand them and the whole MCR thing is a load of unfair s***) cause of their article.

They highlighted Goldens being prone to his dysplasia due to inbreeding, but that is slightly unfair since virtually all large dogs are prone to it. Any responsible breeder (which growing up on the showing circuit, I met a fair few in many breeds) have dogs hip tested, only then is it decided whether to breed from them or not. When the puppies arrive, making sure they don't jump on the back end much etc, that's what we've always done and what most breeders in the UK do. But that still doesn't cancel out the risk.

I'm not saying what was in that documentary (which like I said, I didn't watch) isn't true or cruel, I'm just saying it is only a minority and Crufts can't be to blame for it. It's the KC that make the standards, they just follow the same rules all other shows do. Plus, many healthy, non inbred or exaggerated dogs develop similar problems.

That Thai Ridgeback thing is disgusting!
vicky12
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 09:29 PM

Graduate

Member No.: 598

This has just been sent to me by a friend. Thought you might like to read it.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1976/23/5/3
BCobsessed
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 09:30 PM

Senior

I'm just so upset after watching the boxer having a fit.
I haven't cried so much in ages.
Very distressing. What fantastic owners.
agilitylover
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 09:35 PM

Senior

Member No.: 272

QUOTE (vicky12 @ Aug 19 2008, 09:29 PM)
This has just been sent to me by a friend. Thought you might like to read it.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1976/23/5/3

Thanks for posting that, that explains my point a lot better I think, I'm awful at explaining things *wack*

I really hope it doesn't produce huge negative responses to pedigree dogs, so many of them are healthy and make fantastic pets (but so of course do non pedigrees, I have one of those too), however those minoritys do need to be punished for the disgusting things they do
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2    Quick Reply New Topic New Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1394 seconds | Archive