Skin created by Hiya! of the IF Skin Zone.net

Border Collie World | Today's Active Topics

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Border Collie World. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

New Topic New Poll

Fears over behaviour
Bry__Meg
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 09:10 PM

Starters

Group: Members
Member No.: 652

Hello,

I've had meg since she was 1-2 she is now 5-6. She was a rescue dog don't no anything about her first year.
We have a 2yr old collie too he's fine and they get along great. 2 part time kids.

From when we got her she's been aggressive towards strangers that talk to / approach the kids, as soon as we noticed her very protective behavior we stopped taking her out with the kids!!!

Other than that we've not had many other problems, she's not good with other animals besides from our other dog.

Recently she has started to get very growly at everyone and barking tons at nothing and snapping at the other dog, even me when I go near her and she's eating, she's never done this before and I've had her checked at vet's and she's fine that way.

I can't afford a beavourist so any suggestions?
oldshep
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 12:10 PM

Senior

Member No.: 1,426

I would have expected your vet to come up with some thoughts and suggestions even if there is nothing physically wrong with her. Have there been any other changes in your household recently that may have upset her? Is there any new tension in the household that she may be feeling and responding to? Is your vet absolutely sure that there is nothing wrong from a medical perspective?

Try and think hard about changes in the home that may be an issue and see if, by making some alterations (if possible), she then reverts. There will be a cause it is just a matter of finding it!

There are some good websites with sound advice from people who really know the breed and the rescue sites http://www.wiccaweys.co.uk/ http://www.bordercollierescue.org/ http://www.fostbc.org.uk/ also try http://www.groveshilldogwhisperers.co.uk/sarahjenkins.html

I only know the people at Wiccaweys by reputation but I believe they are first class ditto BC Rescue. FOSTBC is Barbara Sykes who is a total expert and Sarah Jenkins is superb.

Good luck and keep us posted!

*sheep(
Bry__Meg
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 01:29 PM

Starters

Member No.: 652

Thanks :) with pdsa they usually just rushing you back out the door lol I am pregnant but her attitude is all over the place, up and with everyone even when am not there. I dunno, going to see another vet next week. She's ok today right enough, hopefully it's not a big problem maybe she just requires a greggs everyday lol
mel
Posted: May 30 2012, 02:59 PM

Graduate

Member No.: 1,613

Bry Meg did you get anywhere with your vet again? You say you are pregnant so you will want to get this sorted before the baby comes along wont you. I'm wondering if something has happened in the home to trigger this behavious and also have you changed the dogs diet at all??? Just looking at all the possibilities, clearly she's gone into fear aggression status and needs coaxing out of it but its not an overnight job. Have you tried clicker training and going right back to basics...remember a dog is never too old to learn again. Apologies if I sound as if I'm teaching a granny to suck eggs! Let us know how you get on? *sheep(
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options  New Topic New Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2234 seconds | Archive