Skin created by Hiya! of the IF Skin Zone.net

Border Collie World | Today's Active Topics

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Border Collie World. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

New Topic New Poll

Crufts 2012, Breed divergence
oggiesnr
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 10:28 PM

Starters

Group: Members
Member No.: 693

Went to Crufts today and watched Heelwork, Flyball and the BC show classes.

I thought it was scary the way that the working dogs were so different to the show dogs. The former were leaner and eager (and noisy), the latter seemed heavier, shorter noses, little muscle definition (even allowing for fluffed up coats) and nervy (and 99% black/white)

I may be over reacting but the divergence seemed dramatic.

Has anyone else noticed this and is it important?

Steve
oldshep
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 05:18 PM

Senior

Member No.: 1,426

To me, one of the joys of Border Collies is the diversity in colour, shape, size etc. I think that there is a widening gap between the show BC and the working BC with another group somewhere in between. In the working group I know that some shepherds are concerned about the change brought about by the use of quad bikes etc. as they feel that the "new" dogs don't have the stamina.

I have seen a number of show BCs and they do seem to be a different animal and certainly not fit for purpose. However I feel that the KC and the "breed standard" has a lot to answer for and as a purely personal opinion I would like to see the future of the BC completely in the hands of the ISDS but I do stress that is an entirely personal view.

*sheep(
Max and pack
Posted: Sep 8 2012, 08:59 PM

In training

Member No.: 1,957

I watched a lot more of crufts than I normally do this year and was amazed how different the 'show' versions were! I am used to seeing working collies at agility and on farms, and I grew up with working labs and ratting jack russels, and saw a lot of working springers at shoots. The show dogs were almost unrecognisable! Certainly not fit for their original purpose :(
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options  New Topic New Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1818 seconds | Archive