Skin created by Hiya! of the IF Skin Zone.net

Border Collie World | Today's Active Topics

Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Border Collie World. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

New Topic New Poll

milo 7 month old male hd, help
sarah28
Posted: Oct 12 2011, 03:42 PM

In training

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,845

hi my 7 month old boy has just been diagnosed with hd can anyone help me by explaining what sort of life he is going to have and explain what will happen he seems really sore since having his xray and exam yesterday we are going mad with worry the vet said we have to wait until he is one to see if he can be operated on we love him to bits but dont want him to suffer i have brought him suppliments and oil he is limited to two ten minute walks a day on the lead he really loves been off the lead and is so well behaved please help thank you
mel
Posted: Oct 13 2011, 01:12 PM

Graduate

Member No.: 1,613

So sorry to hear this. I think only your vet will be able to give you an idea of how life will be for him as all dogs are different with hd and its progression. I'm sure your supplements and oils will help with joint aid and as a bonus, coat condition too. I use Fish4dogs Salmon Oil which is high with omega oils which are important for joints. Have a further chat with your vet as you may have to look at diet too if there is a long term restriction of exercise. Best of luck :)
sarah28
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 10:39 AM

In training

QUOTE (mel @ Oct 13 2011, 01:12 PM)
So sorry to hear this. I think only your vet will be able to give you an idea of how life will be for him as all dogs are different with hd and its progression. I'm sure your supplements and oils will help with joint aid and as a bonus, coat condition too. I use Fish4dogs Salmon Oil which is high with omega oils which are important for joints. Have a further chat with your vet as you may have to look at diet too if there is a long term restriction of exercise. Best of luck :)

spoke to the vet he says they are really bad one side is bad and the other the ball comes compleetley out of the socket and theres were on the front knee to try to compensate for the hips got wait for a few weeks but its not looking good:(
Tenaj
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 05:43 PM

Senior

Member No.: 1,391

I've seen online friend dogs do really well after surgery. Is he insurerd?

It may be that you have to wait for him to finish growing before they can do anything, and maybe the care you can give him over the following months might help to limit the damage as he grows. Like an awful lot of conditions only time will tell. I hope things go well for him. Never had a dog with this but I've met and seen an awful lot who have - they seem to cope.

Good luck and keep possitive and hope for the best The vet found a growth during a scan last month and was sure it was cancer. He was putting our red dog to sleep but opening him up first just to make sure. I'm now BROKE - but my dog is now alive and well. The most hopeless outlook can still offer hope. Just stay possitive and wait to see how this develops. It is amazing what they can do! Good luck. xx
sarah28
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 06:21 PM

In training

QUOTE (Tenaj @ Oct 15 2011, 05:43 PM)
I've seen online friend dogs do really well after surgery. Is he insurerd?

It may be that you have to wait for him to finish growing before they can do anything, and maybe the care you can give him over the following months might help to limit the damage as he grows. Like an awful lot of conditions only time will tell. I hope things go well for him. Never had a dog with this but I've met and seen an awful lot who have - they seem to cope.

Good luck and keep possitive and hope for the best The vet found a growth during a scan last month and was sure it was cancer. He was putting our red dog to sleep but opening him up first just to make sure. I'm now BROKE - but my dog is now alive and well. The most hopeless outlook can still offer hope. Just stay possitive and wait to see how this develops. It is amazing what they can do! Good luck. xx

yeah iam trying to stay positive spoke to another vet at our practice today and he said they can re xray at one and a possible hip replacement but he said that would be about 10 000 pounds and he would not have it done if it were his dog but we can hope it doesnt come that he seems really sore and has now started being agressive to other dogs which the vet said may happen iam just hoping he can come through it
Mistymilo
Posted: Oct 15 2011, 10:18 PM

BCW ADDICT
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,010

Im sorry to hear about your boy :(

If you look through this thread it talks about HD and how the dogs and owners cope. It should also give you an idea of where you stand with your boy and what you can do to make him feel more comfortable.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/BorderCollieWo...?showtopic=8311

sarah28
Posted: Oct 27 2011, 11:16 AM

In training

Been back to the vets with milo, he has now been refered to a specalist about his hd. He has now started limping on the front right paw too,we told the vet and she said the specalist would check that too. Milo's appointment is next monday which I am very pleased about as we can now get answers and ask other questions we have. Fingers crossed it's good news and we can get him sorted, thanks very much for the link. We have read so much about it now things seem alot more clear, and hopefully it will be a positive visit on monday. x
BC Lover
Posted: Oct 28 2011, 12:58 PM

Starters

Member No.: 1,828

So sorry to hear about Milo. Have you heard of stem cell therapy for dogs. It sounds really good and from what I've read is a lot cheaper than surgery. Check out this website. (you will have to cut and paste) I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ZUKNE69tg

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options  New Topic New Poll

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0751 seconds | Archive