Skin created by Hiya! of the IF Skin Zone.net

Border Collie World | Today's Active Topics

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Border Collie World. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

New Topic New Poll

How much exercise for a 14 week old pup
Merlin
Posted: Nov 12 2010, 09:32 AM

Senior

Group: Members
Member No.: 812

How much exercise should a 14 week old pup have?

I currently take him out on his own for a 20 min lead walk but some of that I am carrying him.

I have also taken him on a local field and let him off lead to play with my other dogs for around 20 mins too. He just seems to have so much energy and doesn't want to stop playing all day. I dont want to over do anything.

Has anyone any advice for me.
Canis-Lupess
Posted: Nov 12 2010, 01:27 PM

BCW ADDICT
Group Icon

Group: BCW Addict
Member No.: 567

Personally, I don't worry too much. I wouldn't take them on long hikes as such but I certainly don't believe in this 5 mins per month of age rubbish. I think pups who's exercise is TOO overly restricted is more likely to suffer problems when older than those where it's more relaxed. I don't really worry about how long other people walk their pups so long as they bother to take them anywhere at all....no point having a dog and never taking it for a walk.
When I was a child, our pups went on the same walk as our adults after their jabs and we never knew any different. We had a lot of dogs and I can safely say none developed problems from it at all.

Sleet was nearly 16 weeks before she could go out because she was already 12.5 weeks when we got her but Wren could go out at 11.5 weeks or there abouts. They know how much they could do and I didn't see the difference between walking round a field or running up and down the garden or round the house until they dropped to be honest. I used to put them to bed and, as poor Sleet tried to settle down, Wren was wreaking havoc in their little bedroom...I sneakily watched through the window one time and just saw this brown furball bouncing about all over like a powerball having loads of fun...poor sleet who was curled up trying to sleep and getting bounced on. The dog beds were always pushed down against the door next morning and the bedding everywhere. She was such a bugger:D

As for Sleet, she was a real fan of just running running running. I could walk for 15 minutes and she'd cover 5 miles in that time, haha. I didn't stop her because she enjoyed it and I'd have to put her on lead to stop her anyway. One time, I sat down at the top of the hill and she just raced up and down the hill over and over....thoroughly enjoying herself. She stopped when she was ready.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're already doing. All pups are different anyway. Like yours, mine just loved to be on the move and they'd do it at home or out on walks regardless anyway and not suffered in anyway as a result of it.

As you can see, Wren was quite the acrobat even as a fluffster...she couldn't half shift. She was 11.5 weeks old here on her first walk with Sleet. She'd been on a few walks in the streets with just me beforehand.
(Posted Image)

She could scale 5 ft gates and alsorts from when we first got her at 8 weeks...our backs ended looking like Fort Knox because of her.
Sleet was always very respectful of boundaries despite physically being able to get over them easily.
marcus
Posted: Nov 13 2010, 06:24 AM

Graduate

Member No.: 1,410

I am kind of in agreement with the above comment although I am not a vet so cant be too sure. From a purely human sports science view I imagine the jumping, landing and turning quickly is something you need to be careful of or the rolling they get when playing with bigger adult dogs.

I take Skye running with me twice a week and she is five months but monitor it and look for signs of tiredness. I have noticed she runs less when I am running as it cuts down on the zig zag running she does when I am walking. (this is all off lead)

maximum time tends to be 40 mins on each walk.
Canis-Lupess
Posted: Nov 13 2010, 11:01 AM

BCW ADDICT
Group Icon

Group: BCW Addict
Member No.: 567

Oh just to add that I didn't do any deliberate jumping with them but have nothing against starting dogs on very low jumps in small doses at about 9 months of age and working up very gradually. I don't wait until a year old.

As kids, we had our monty (BC) jumping little jumps from being a small puppy on wards because we didn't know better...As an adult, it was like he had wings on his feet. My sister had a horse and he used to do the horse jumping courses with ease. He never had a problem with joints and he died of failing kidneys at 13 and his joints were still pretty good then and he could still go for longer walks. He absolutely loved jumping and was excellent at it.
shads2009
Posted: Nov 13 2010, 01:13 PM

Novice

Member No.: 1,156

unfortunately having an active puppy you cant really stop them from jumping and turning. I dont really have any experience really but from my experience with scooby he was and is always on the go and he would do sharp turns and bound about. He is now 2yrs old and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Topic Options  New Topic New Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0614 seconds | Archive