Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Ages Of Arda. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

F.a.q.
Alagon
Posted: Mar 5 2014, 05:47 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin Root
Member No.: 1

Regarding Registration

Q. How long does it take to be accepted?

A. Anywhere between three and forty eight hours, depending on staff time.

Q. It's been 48 hours! Why am I not accepted yet?

A. Staff might be busy, but if it has been 48 hours, PM a member of staff to politely inquire towards the status of your application.

Q. How long do I have to complete my application?

A. One week from registration.

Q. Something came up! Can I get an extension?

A. Staff will offer one extension on an application, for an additional three days. If the application is not completed in this time, it will be archived and the character will be removed. When you have more time, you can re-register and request the application be sent to you via PM so that you can finish it up at the more convenient time.

Alagon
Posted: Jun 2 2014, 12:22 AM

Administrator
Group Icon

Concerning Character Design

Q. Can I make an original character?

A. Absolutely! We accept both canon and original characters!

Q. Can my original be related to a canon character?

A. In general we don’t allow this, however it depends entirely on the type of character you wish to make and the family you would like to have as a relation. Please contact Alagon if you would like to propose a character such as this.

Q. Can my original be ---- with a canon character?

A. That's up to whoever plays the canon. We suggest registering your character as though they are not in any way related with the canon in question, and then try plotting with them and seeing how it goes.

Q. Can I make an original with special powers?

A. We have caps and limitations on special abilities as a result of their canonical rarity. You may apply for an ability when and if there are open slots available for said gift.

Q. Can I make an original city for my character to originate from or control?

A. No. There are tons of lands and cities available to choose from and if you are looking for a character in a position of power you may wish to consider a canon, or a subplot for your original to attempt to seize power; though of course such a subplot would have to come free of godmoding.

Q. Can my character have an item of power?

A. If you mean a Silmaril or Ring of Power then the answer is a resounding no. Canons only will be dealing with those royal pains in the derriere. If you mean an original artifact of power, such as a cursed sword or something of that ilk, that will be something to discuss with staff on a case by case basis.

Q. I want to play a character with a disability! Is that ok?

A. Again, this will be taken on a case by case basis. There is canonical backing to support the existence of these sorts of characters, but as mental and physical detriments can be approached callously, the staff team will have the final say. So long as the condition is approached respectfully and with understanding, there should be little issue here.

Q. Can I alter a canon character's sexuality?

A. Depends on the canon. If there is no supporting evidence toward their sexuality canonly, then have at it. Otherwise, we're going to say no to this unless you can give a very good supporting argument.

Q. Our characters are canons who only have (x) children. Can we make more?

A. So long as we don't have to read about the baby making process--- We're a slightly AU forum; if your couple is canonly mentioned as married for however long and have only one canonical child, then it's really up to you where to go with it, though for sake of sanity, check with the admins first before running off and popping up a litter.

Alagon
Posted: Jun 2 2014, 12:24 AM

Administrator
Group Icon

Concerning The Ages

Q. Woah! This character died, why are they on your canon list?

A. Ages of Arda spans the entire course of Middle Earths history! That means that any character from any timeline is welcome - they merely need to stick to their timeframe.

Q. What do you mean, stick to their time frame?

A. Well, if your character was born in the First Age and dies or sails in the Second Age, that means they can only play in First and Second Age locations!

Q. What if my character was born in the First Age and was around in the War of the Ring?

A. Well holy opportunities batman, that means you can play anywhere on the board!

Q. The fate of this character is never actually canonly stated. Can I ---

A. The fact is, Tolkien left us a lot of unfinished work - and a lot of contradictory work, as well. These sorts of cases we will take as that - cases, on a case by case basis. If there is character you want to play and you have reason why they should still be around for whatever timeline you have in mind, present it to staff and see what we say!

Alagon
Posted: Jun 2 2014, 12:26 AM

Administrator
Group Icon

Concerning Gem Collections

Q.What are Gem Collections?

A. Here on AoA, we travel through all of the ages and explore all of the characters in Tolkien's works - including many who die and sail. AoA intends to shape its alternative universe around the members and their characters.

What this means is, at the end of every month a Timeline Update will be posted, so that people can see who has been up to what in the world, and what's changed. By collecting gems, you have the opportunity to change a canon character's fate.

Q. How do I gain Gems?

A. Gems are awarded through event participation, scavenger hunts, and contests that will be held with regularity throughout the year, with a chance for at least two gemstones per month.

Contests will generally be color coordinated, meaning prizes will be awarded based on gemstone color; scavenger hunts and events will be randomized. Below are the collections - and what they will earn you.

Q.What do the Collections do?

A. Collect the Gems of the Male Valar to prevent a sailing *

user posted image GOLD: Tulkas
user posted image PURPLE: Irmo
user posted image BLUE: Ulmo
user posted image GREEN: Oromë
user posted image RED: Aulë
user posted image WHITE: Manwë
user posted image BLACK: Námo

Collect the Gems of the Female Valar to prevent a death *

user posted image GOLD: Vána
user posted image PURPLE: Estë
user posted image BLUE: Nienna
user posted image GREEN: Yavanna
user posted image RED: Nessa
user posted image WHITE: Varda
user posted image BLACK: Vairë

Collect the Gems of all the Valar to be reembodied *

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

*Some restrictions do apply.

Q. What are the restrictions?

A. Some character fates are considered too integral to change. If you would like to know about a particular character please PM staff for details.

Alagon
Posted: Jun 12 2014, 09:26 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

General Site Inquiries

Q.Can I be staff?

A. Members of staff are picked by the staffing team. When the site needs more staff members, we will be looking for members who are dedicated to the site and its content, and who are capable of performing necessary tasks. If we are hiring and you think you qualify, feel free to apply! Otherwise, we are not looking at this time.

Q.Another member is breaking the rules / I have a complaint about their behavior, what do I do?

A. If you have good reason to report another member for their activity please contact a member of staff. Please do not try and demand yourself the player change whatever it is they are doing; staff are here to help!

Q. I'm going away for a bit, what should I do?

A. Post in the away thread! You can find it here.

Q. Why isn't my DOHTML working?

A. It could be you're trying to use DOHTML in a No Zone. DOHTML only works on specific areas of the board, namely:

-Welcome to Arda
-Character Design Center
-The Lounge & Archives

Q. Why can't we use DOHTML in RP areas?

A. DOHTML templates are fun and pretty, but part of the problem is a lot of them are difficult to read, still more clash with boards and yet more are simply distracting to the readers. For this reason, AOA has opted for a middle-road, allowing DOHTML in member centric and site necessity areas gives the freedom to play with templates as you like, while keeping the RP areas uniform and easy for everyone to read.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Ages of Arda Affiliates
RPG-DTop RP Sites Middle Earth Top10
J.R.R. Tolkien Top 100
RP Lovers The Hobbit RPG INFINITE CRISIS
Stormcrown

SHADOWS BETRAY YOU Nothing Else Matters kr5w.png
disney personified potterverse Shadow of the East Once Upon a Dream
Keep the Magic Secret One Hell of a Turn
Tabbed sidebar by Kismet.
Skinned by anesthesia! at Shadowplay and Alagon at RPG-D

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1138 seconds | Archive